Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Is there a good video I can watch that will teach me how to play the campaign map in empire and napoleon? I can play battles just fine but I'm completely awful on the map. It takes forever for me to research a single thing and i'm always starving for money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Do I need a church to get a new priest to convert my populace in Empire? My old priest died and those drat Ottomans have Imams parked outside of my citys! :argh:

Can you assassinate priest characters?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Whats the best tactic for taking a Canister armed cannon located on a hill with a 360 degree view? I would try to blow it up but I have no cannons. Charging is also out of the question because I have no horses. Is my best course of action just to charge line-infantry at it,because It broke 2 lines and 1 nearby irregular with one shot each.

Sometimes the AI surprises me, like when an ottoman general led me to believe I won the battle after I killed his throwaway units. He runs away so I send units to go shoot him. I had plug bayonets at the time so imagine my surprise when I received a volley from some trees to the right of where he was parked. Next time I will pay attention to the unit cards.

I was halfway to Destroying the ottoman empire (with the help of Venice) When those drat Lithuanians attacked me out of no where...and left their capital city undefended. Sometimes the AI surprises me for different reasons.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Does anyone know why the Campaign map for Empire causes my graphics card to spike like 30 degrees Celsius? It actually deals with battles better,there is just something about the campaign map that turns it into a heater.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Also nothing is more satisfying in Empire than capturing Quebec in the Revolution campaign. The United States of North America is just so much more satisfying. Can't burn down the white house now,can you 14th state? :smug:

No I'm not bitter,why do you ask?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

That also works. Reenacting history as it happened is boring.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Koramei posted:

And can someone explain to me why Darth insists on adding the Star Wars stuff? Is he like eight years old or something? Because I don't remember anybody that would consider something as garish and stupid as that a welcome supplement to their anything after about that age.

It's his calling card! At least I assume that's why he does it. If he had another stupid name like "XGOKUX" the menus would probably be covered in dragonball Z poo poo.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I have to say,Nothing feels better than repelling an enemy doomstack. (even though I had a stack and a star fort.)
But what feels best of all is Woman defending their (new) home alongside men. :911:

Too bad there is no crying Prussia emote.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 13, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Boy,the supposed smarter AI in Darthmod sure is smart. :downs:

Venice now has some lovely city in America.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Struensee posted:

So has anyone had a bug where they rout/kill all enemy forces and the only option is to quit the battle?

I'm on legendary diffuclty and the outcome is pretty important because its on my weakest front, so I'd rather not lose it. Besides, there's a bunch of cannons to be gained from winning it.

Which game are you playing? I know in Empire or Napoleon,the computer likes to stash units behind walls even if it's no where near it's main line. Also check any nearby woods.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I'm hoping for a Civil/Crimean war era game myself.

EDIT-Fall doesn't count.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Darth mod for Empire is actually pretty good. One thing though, I know a dev said it was impossible for him to change the AI,but I think he made the campaign AI dumber somehow. They seem more willing to trade Key home provinces for some poo poo place on another continent and small groups that will get slaughtered seem to throw them selves at you. I didn't really have that experience in the 25 hours I played of vanilla. The battle AI seems the same despite what the brown-nosers say.
Still I like those apparent changes because it's funny watching 3 line units attack your doom stack of Cherokee warriors.

Also this

The good news is you only ever see Star wars poo poo in the launcher and the splash screen. The splash screen is also so :effort: it's hilarious. It's an ultra-low resolution jpeg of the Empire's symbol re-fitted to your entire screen. The In-game loading screens are just old paintings and opera music. One of the new songs is also some high school marching band music for some reason which was hilarious the first time I heard it. The new audio,new and bigger units,and better cannons make up for the draw backs I feel.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Dec 3, 2012

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Clamps McGraw posted:

Am I the only person that really loved Napoleon? There's a lot of smack for it in this thread and others. I have put hundreds of hours into that game :shobon:

Napoleon is actually my favorite total war. My only disappointment is the lack of a War of 1812 campaign. Of course I like empire as well. The only think that keeps me from playing Empire more is the time investment combined with the fact that it turns my graphics card into a furnace.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I wish I knew more about Warhammer fantasy other than the imperial guard are still the best faction.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

toasterwarrior posted:

Well let me grant your wish by saying that the Imperial Guard have nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy because they're part of Warhammer 40K, which is in the future with lasers and aliens and poo poo.

The nearest equivalent they have is the Empire, which is basically 16th-century Holy Roman Empire except much more united because they are constantly fighting demonic Viking barbarians. Also, they have tanks than run on steam.

Empire,imperial guard,whatever.
They both have empire in their name. :colbert:

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Koramei posted:

I would much rather they dedicate the resources to a radically different (and more interesting :toot:) period, and I think a lot of people agree with me.

Sorry but the civil war is awesome. The country founded on the ideals of freedom splitting itself and having one of it's bloodiest wars on the question of freedom for everyman is fascinating. :colbert: Also Forage caps.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I'm trying out DarthMod for Empire and holy crap, his whole Star Wars shtick is really subdued in Shogun2 compared to this. He even changed to menu music to the Imperial March. Isn't that... I don' know, a copyright violation? :cripes:

It's actually worse in his Napoleon mod where he even changes the advisers to be princess lea and Darth Vader.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

ClemenSalad posted:

I've played his mod but maybe I'm missing something, all the StarWars BS is at the title screen right? I haven't noticed it in game so it doesn't really bother me. It's the title of the mod.

Yes,In Empire it's all title screen poo poo. I know he changes the advisers in napoleon but I don't know if he added any references in the game play other than that.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are those... giant flaming boulders?

they were in the new trailer.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

What exactly does General level effect? Is it just morale?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Here's something I wondered in Empire: is there any point at all to not spreading your infantry as far as they'll go? I never had my line infantry any deeper than three lines, and usually two.

I heard that with a line shallower than 3 your troops will spend more time getting in position to replace casualties than actually shooting. I haven't actually played empire long enough to actually test it though.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

So what is the proper strategy when you are running ranged heavy in shogun II? I have more total units but the enemy has more melee and what usually happens is that my archers can get a volley and a half off before I'm forced to retreat them and my outnumbered yari ashigaru are forced to fight. I don't want to keep my archers firing when they retreat because that would kill some of my troops which are critical to holding back the mass of Ashigaru. Consider this the situation: I have 3 bow ashi, 2 bow Sam, and 3 yari ash, the enemy has 5 yari ash and 1 bow ash. So Chosokabe early game. I do know that my samurai are accurate enough to where they can keep firing into the melee but I don't think that would be enough to turn the tide.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

The really high bow numbers is mostly because this was my siege army and the first few forts had no ranged defense. I just now ran into my first well defended fort and even the paltry amount of ranged tears mine to shreds so I was wondering if I could take them on a field battle as my forces currently stand. I'll make sure to pack in some more Yari Ash now.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Man I am still waiting on some medieval 2 style setting change mods for Shogun 2 but I fear they may never come.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I am playing europa barbarorum for the first time and I have to ask, How the hell does the Sweboz economy work? Are you expected to expand with all your troops until they are ground into nothing so that you have multiple settlements to spread your massive debt over? I took a settlement then did an experiment and with two cities you have enough cash for your 3 generals and like 2-4 spearmen and already I am at -4000 in debt.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

I hope it goes through another Rome 2 launch so that I can get it super cheap when the emperor edition comes out and its actually good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

disjoe posted:

The hardest faction IMO, Takeda, won the most important prize of the Sengoku period: our hearts and minds.

they have the best color scheme so it was inevitable

Regarde Aduck posted:

Oh good. More spears and bows vs other spears and bows.
yeah that sounds awful

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 8, 2016