Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012
Are there any good tutorials on battle tactics in the Total War games? I've read a bunch of beginner's threads on other forums and articles on some websites but I just can't seem to get anywhere, at least in Medieval 2.

Shogun 2 I have found a bit easier, but Medieval 2 kicks my rear end.

I started playing England and even though I can win fair battles at the beginning, I still take losses which I think are too much.

My beginning army is one line of 4-5 spear militia, a line of 4-5 archers behind them, and two cavalry on a flank.

I try to stay in line but even when the other army is made up of equal units, like other spear militia, my spears seem to get killed in time. I try using my cavalry to flank but sometimes I have trouble manoeuvring my units. I especially have trouble using spearmen to flank at times as they tend to get caught up with other units, or when they do hit they don't seem to attack very effectively and get in a jumble.

Would it be good to have some additional spearmen behind my main spear line so that they can flank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlesDexterWard
Apr 25, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Friendly fire IS a thing-be careful where you put your archers. Being shot in the back or having arrows rained on you is understandably bad for casualties.

Flanking isn't really a thing you do with infantry if cavalry is available due to lack of charge bonus(Except in certain cases). Make sure you get a decent run-up; it takes a few seconds to get up to charge speed and make sure the ground is relatively clear-going past rocks will slow them down.

'Manoeuvring problems' is very vague. Can you describe better?

It's hard to explain but basically when I try to manoever units to flank I either have to set up waypoints so they stay well clear of the enemy, and then get them to flank, but usually the time it takes them to go through the waypoints it's too late to flank effectively.

Or I just try and get them to run to the side of the enemy and behind them without waypoints and they often end up getting caught up and the units get in a jumble, where only a small amount of my units seem to end up fighting the enemy units.

I played a bit last night and did a bit better, I fielded more spear units and was able to win fights, but I am not sure if it would count as winning. I technically won the fight but often the enemy would kill more units than he would lose, and my numbers would be worse after, just I routed his army.

I also tried to be more patient when trying to flank, I think I wasn't waiting until all units were engaged before trying a flank, I would just try and I guess I would get intercepted.