Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Finally beat it with Cao Cao. He's got probably the worst starting position. What worked for me is hitting Lui Bei and pushing him across the river. Then hitting Kong right after. Kong's little peninsula was such a better position. I never bothered to defend anything to the south after getting set up on the peninsula. Traded land for peace or whatever to keep Wu and Yuan Shu off of me.

I ended up vassalizing and annex Lui Bei, everyone hated me but the dude had 7 uniques. Emperor event fired leaving me, Yuan Shao and the Wu as the 3 contenders.

Pushed up north and took out Yuan Shao and then pushed west. The Wu never really did anything because I used Cao Cao's ability to start a hell war between them and Yuan Shu. They abdicated after I started to pushing south really quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone got any advice for starting out as Kong Rong? I'm 15-20 turns into a game with him and Yuan Shao is coming to push my poo poo in with two stacks and I can tell I had a weak rear end start because I wasn't sure what to do.

Also it was cool that I could keep Taishi Ci but poo poo, he costs 5900 to try to put in my army because of his retinues. Its lame that whoever he was working for previously took his bow though.

Get in a Coalition with him if possible if not then accept becoming a vassal. It's will buy you time to build up your strength. Wait until he's fighting with someone else and hit him hard while his stacks are away. Peace out, even if you have to become a vassal again as long as your chewing up alittle at a time.

If you have to fight the river helps you can catch stacks when they land and it's pretty easy to move around Kong's peninsula. You can use the ambush trick. Weak stack with a stronger stack standing next to it in ambush mode, the AI falls for it all the time.

Just make sure you finish the job. He'll come back if you don't.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice

Dramicus posted:

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand, it's pretty well accepted that he was the impoverished descendant of a branch of the Liu family that was exiled from court at one point (probably for being too influential or something) and then gradually fading to obscurity. I think his lineage wasn't ever really in question, because the other lords would have used that against him if they could have.

In the beginning when Lui Bei joins the Coalition against Dong Zhou having a member of the Imperial family join them adds to the legitimacy of their rebellion. The other warlords aren't going to question it because it benefits them.

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
I just started playing this again, I didn't realize that you could bribe characters to betray their faction.

I bribed Ma Chao and had him become my spy, when I was at war with Ma Teng. After I killed Ma Teng he became the faction leader.

Ma Chao went to attack me I had him betray the faction he was leading and come over to my side. After that the west and all those Horses were mine.