Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sleep of Bronze posted:

It has some significance as one of the last places the Romans conquered and held onto for a considerable length of time. I suppose it's also somewhat notable that the British managed to resist an attack, however diffidently carried out, such that the successful conquest came nearly a full century after Roman troops landed with blood on their minds. But really I think the Roman departure from Britain should probably be a much bigger contender for 'prominent event for the Empire'. And even that's mostly for what it symbolised that for the withdrawal itself. You could cut Britain out of history and the Roman Empire probably wouldn't do much differently.

And predictably, here in Germany the conquest of some German lands and how our ancestors repelled/overthrew the (Western) Roman Empire is the focus of history lessons in school, while the invasion of Britain is a mere footnote. Although the bigger focus was on the political structures of the Republic and Empire, as well as the role of Christianity.

Regarding the Iceni, if you look at the map Krazyface posted, there is just no place for them. Right now every faction has reasonable amount of space to expand into, while the Iceni would probably be crushed between Carthage and the Gauls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I hate all combat after the medieval period. I played maybe 10 battles in Empire, after that I let the AI fight all battles for me. Lines of gunpowder units firing on other lines of gunpowder units, interrupted by cannon fire is extremely boring for me. That's why I generally like Shogun 2, but matchlock units are again extremely irritating, and I didn't even bother with FotS. I cringe every time people are demanding a game set in the Renaissance. So I am really anticipating Rome 2, because it is the only setting that has no gunpowder weapons (except Rise of the Samurai).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PBJ posted:

I mean, you could just look up "Chinese gunpowder weapons" and see that the Chinese did a lot more than just "fireworks and poo poo" with gunpowder. You know, things like the fire lance (precursor to all firearms), cast-iron HE explosive shells, cannons, and rocketry.

Which they still did not leverage to any degree of military might that is comparable to the way the Europeans had after they got introduced to gunpowder weapons. To get back to the point WoodrowSkillson made, gunpowder weapons and especially the effective military use came from the Europeans to Japan. There is a reason quite a few military advances in Empire are simple organizational things like "fire-by-rank". So the Chinese may have mastered the weapons, but they were not at good as using them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lord Tywin posted:

I would prefer if they did the next medieval game without gunpowder and then made a Renaissance total war going from 1453 to 1648.

I would prefer this as well, since I then could just skip the Renaissance game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tomn posted:

Man, what is it about the Renaissance that makes people violently opposed to it? You don't really see anyone doing the same thing with pretty much all other time periods - even the objections to WW1 and beyond is mostly "I don't think it would work..." instead of "I would NEVER play such a game!" Musings about a Chinese setting? You get some interest, a few shoulder-shrugs. Contemplation of the ACW? Some debate about whether it'd work and how it'd work. Revisiting any of the settings already covered? Some disappointment, some excitement. But bring up the Renaissance and suddenly there's people saying "No, never, NEVER ever!" Why is that?

I like the settings, ad I liked Empire on a grand scale (even if the AI was dumb) but I just don't like guns. I would be just as oposed to a WW1/WW2 game. No/few guns = good combat, mainly guns = bas combat. I played a lot of Empire but used autocalc pretty much every time. This was a nice sandcastle game but not the "Total War" game I want.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow it is gorgeous! While I value gameplay much more than graphics, it doesn't hurt a game to look pretty. Also nice details that the cities/settlements don't all look the same.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vargs posted:

I'm thinking about reinstalling Medieval 2, which I really enjoyed with Stainless Steel back when I played it. Definitely my favorite TW game, aside from how horrendously tedious it was to replace casualties. I've heard recent versions of the mod are lovely and spergy as all hell though, when I'm just looking for a Vanilla+ experience with more units and not a bunch of typical TWcenter "realism" poo poo that makes the game less fun to play. Which version should I be looking for?

If you like something new with many different units and buildings and factions in general, I would recommend you the Lord of the Rings mod "Third Age: Total War".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
While we are on the topic of cavalry in Shogun 2, one of the things I am looking forward to is owning the battlefield again with my Macedonian Companion Cavalry, or drowning the enemy in arrows with my Parthian mounted archers. There was not enough badass cavalry in Japan.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I like the gist of the discussion in the Senate:"I believe he is crossing the Alps. With War Elephants!" "That would be quite a feat, even for the great Hannibal Barca." Meaning: Totally ridiculous, who would cross the Alps with elephants?!?! And if you think about it... It does seem really unbelievable. He was just a badass, and the trailer was awesome. I cannot wait for this game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We got the last laugh though. In the end Rome fell to us barbarians. Still I will play Carthage and prevent these uppity Romans from becoming strong in the first place.

Edit: Great, trash talking in preparation for the game!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Check out the interactive map that was posted a few pages back. The Seleucids show up, but with much smaller territory than in Rome 1. They do have quite a few vassal kingdoms, making them one of the, if not the biggest nation at start.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sethmaster posted:

Hell no. It will be poo poo due to the facts that the armies is so undistinguished from each other, the only interesting things about their warfare is their local "legends", which is fiction created by Chinese novelists.
So basically to make it even remotely interesting to play, any Chinese era game pretty much have to include "heroes" from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms period, which is pretty much fantasy.
Might as well ask CA to includes elves, dwarfs and fairies into the next Medieval III :v:

I loved Third Age: Total War. All complaining about factions having the same units would simply stop if you had humans, elves, dwarves and orks. Or they could invent their own new race. I really hope we will get a Warhammer: Total War, I just don't understand why there are so few fantasy/science fiction strategy games. Are they all afraid of Warcraft and Starcraft? You can have so many more strategical and tactical options if you are not constrained to a real world setting, I would think developers would appreciate that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Total War developers should be demanding to make their own fantasy/sci-fi setting and making a game out of it. Because then Prometheus and his TWC colleagues would have no opportunity to "fact-check" your work, there would be no historical inaccuracies to correct and you could even make your main race black orks or whatever, and TWC would probably explode. It would be glorious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Panzeh posted:

There are a lot of fantasy/sci fi strategy games out there, actually, but they're mostly designed by people who are more interested in just shoving in 'awesome' than bothering with things like balance. They add in more possibilities than historicals, but most of them are bad, kind of like Dominions 3's magic uber alles or Master of Magic's complete lack of internal balance.

Yes, I want a high quality game, why is it too much to ask? :cry:

Shogun 2 is actually a great starting point for a fantasy medieval game. Replace matchlocks with fireball slinging wizards. The recharge time is the mages waiting for their mana to regenerate, while the morale damage and friendly fire aspect are totally consistent with fireballs. And magical weapons/armor work better for the hero units than their explanation in-game.

I was bitterly disappointed the last years. I had high hopes for Sword of the Stars 2 after the first game was so fantastic, but... :negative:

Empire and Shogun 2 never got a mod that was as good as the Third Age mod, and only playing Starcraft is boring. Perhaps modding Rome 2 will be easier, alternatively I would accept a Warhammer Total War.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tomn posted:

You're aware that CA picked up the right to develop a Warhammer Fantasy game, right?

I do know, which is making me hope for it in the first place.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Lord of the Rings without the terrible slowness fo Third Age, and with expansions for Silmarillion stuff is basically my TW Valhalla, and will never happen.

If you play any evil factions, you could have the host of Valinor come in (but from the west of course) similar to the Golden Horde. I would be down for that.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Just a quick question, do they have the right to all Warhammer games? I thought they only had rights to Warhammer 40k?

And do we have any idea what bonus the wonders of the world are giving in Rome 2? If I remember correctly some were pretty overpowered in Rome 1.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

nopantsjack posted:

Shogun 2 was great at the time, recently my graphics card exploded so I had to switch to that and it's decent but I think some of people's love for it is:

A) its by far the most technically optimised out of the total wars (runs amazing on ultra with 1gb vram, has SLI support etc) and FAST TURN TIMES!!!!

B) Has the best unified art style of any of the total wars, even though the units look ugly as hell close up and are all identical this probably allows for A

C) Has rock paper scissors units without there being a hundred permutations of each, which some people love and some people (raises paw) dont

D)FotS is the best and last gunpowder TW

I generally like Shogun 2, but I couldn't get into FotS (or Empire for that matter), because I don't like gunpowder units. That's one of the reasons why I like Warhammer so much, and why I'm looking forward to ToB. I know a lot of people really love their gunpowder games, but it's just not for me.

Edit: wtf, I last posted in this thread about 5 years ago!

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 28, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Koramei posted:

Southeast Asia is also not remotely homogeneous :v:

also wow it is pretty big:

Now I wanna go check to see what the Empire map looked like

Where did you get that map? The usual map projection (Mercator) distorts sizes, so that places away from the equator look bigger. Which means that that portion of SE Asia might be even bigger in relation to Europe than displayed.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't know whether it's just so hard to make these games, or that one company already has such a hold on the market that it doesn't make sense to compete with them, but for some genres, there's only one game in town. I would appreciate more competition for Total War games, Sims games, or Grand Strategy games. But we're stuck with the companies that popularized those niches. Not that I'm super unhappy with CA or Paradox (CK3 looks like it will be an amazing upgrade to CK2), but it wouldn't hurt to have more options.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Deleter posted:

I didn't watch any of the previews for Troy so I played the first fight as Agemwhatsit and then got confused by the buildings and prayers system and left, so this is gonna take a while.

Also this UI ain't a patch on 3K's.

Is Greek mythology really so much less known than Roman mythology? That's Agamemnon, the son of Atreus, making him one of the Atreides, and an ancestor of Paul Atreides!

:cheeky:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xander77 posted:

Ah. So I just haven't encountered any large units yet.

So heroes outright don't play any administrative roles in this one? Nothing but another battle unit and no way to gain xp without fighting?

Also, is friendly fire a thing in this one? Feels like I can just shoot right into a skirmish and not take any friendly casualties.

I haven't played Troy yet, but I remember from one of the preview streams that I think Menelaus has office to which he can appoint heroes. If it wasn't him, then it was one of the other factions. The streamer made it clear that appointing heroes to offices was one of that faction's unique abilities.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xander77 posted:

So does the Illiad. What separates Diomedes or Nestor from pretty much any other minor faction with zero personality? Where are the options to have combat by champion over a province or a city? What's about a fairly complex "war council" diplomacy sub-system where you try to wrangle cats have your allies move towards the goal you set for them?

Most of what we know of the Illiad comes from summaries, since we lost all but 2 of the 8 books in the Trojan cycle. So in fact information about the Three Kingdoms period is much more plentiful than info about the Trojan War.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I sure wish that was the paradox model but lol

Previous DLCs get rolled into paradox patches because "oh poo poo the game breaks if you don't have the Middle Kingdom Egypt feature from the Spain and Portugal expansion after having used features from the Prussia/Manchu/Dutch expansion"

At least with CA the content of the DLCs is focused and understandable.

I think they were referring to CK3, which did have several CK2 DLC features rolled into the base game.

AnEdgelord posted:

I was never really into 3K but it didn't deserve to get done dirty like this and while it hasn't diminished my hype for Warhammer 3 it has given me doubts that I previously didn't have.

I'm not having any doubts about Warhammer 3. It's the third game in the series after all, and the DLC formula they cam up with is pretty successful. I'm not expecting them to change anything meaningful about it. But even if the DLC all suck, just getting the 6 new factions plus the immortal empires map is probably enough to make base WH3 better than WH2, which would promise a ton of playtime when I take my Lizards to crash the Chaos realms, or have the dawi give Khorne a wedgie.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Dramicus posted:

Oh nice! I wonder if Memnon will get Egyptian units. The blog mentioned something about paying tribute to the Pharaoh for troops.

Look at the trailer 30 seconds in, those units look Egyptian or Egyptian themed to my (amateur) eyes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Stellaris is a game with a huge technical debt, and Paradox actually took the amazing decision to have two teams working on the game at the same time. The DLC team that makes new contend, and the Custodian team that more or less only deals with technical debt and to bring old systems in line with the current state of the game. Something like this should be a no brainer for any long-running game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I didn't buy the Chorf DLC because I have zero interest in Chorfs, and I bought every other DLC (except the blood one).

WH3 still has enormous potential to make a lot of money, nobody is shuttering down CA while WH3 isn't totally dead yet.