Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have really enjoyed the sieges in Britannia. My favorite moment was building up enough siege equipment for two forces and then attacking with reinforcements. My main army would be as far away as possible from where my reinforcements would enter and then attack the walls and taking advantage of being an experienced force to deal with the increased enemy scrutiny. All the while my reinforcements would march forward, pick up the abandoned equipment and attack the city as well, causing the enemy to rush over and try to stop the next breach, making it quite easy to just tear apart the enemies in piecemeal fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is there anyway to tell how likely vassals are to help their masters? Right now I am fighting Alfreds faction as the Welsh and so need to have as many stacks on the frontline as possible which is quite difficult when I am constantly worried about being flanked by the vassal kingdoms. Despite all this asI am having a lot of luck fighting them as by either accident or design the fact that the general units aren't mounded makes it real easy for me to just shower them in arrows until the general gets an unfortunate eye piercing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It may be just me, but it does seem as though it is quite easy to rout enemy armies without taking much damage.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe?

The battles are early/mid game Welsh vs Anglo Saxons and they go down like this.

1. My cavalry eats up one flank of cavalry whilst a reserve unit of axemen kills the last cavalry they have.
2. My longbowmen get all Harad Godwinson on their general and either kill him at range or weaken him enough that my line infantry can do the job.
3. The lines meet and general leadership issues ensure that the enemy line breaks fast.
4. My cavalry clean up the survivors and laugh at how my k:d ratio is about 15:1.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is there anyway to stir up vassal kingdoms against their masters or in general create discord within a large kingdom?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Krazyface posted:

You can just ask the boss to release a vassal, I managed to buy the freedom of one of Wessex's Welsh vassals right before I invaded.

That is really not an option in the middle of a war.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So do the Gaels also get mounted lords or is it only the Welsh who have them?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

nopantsjack posted:

A lot of that stuff sounds like the opposite of what I want but im glad theyre being hands on and keeping it updated

That seems like great ways to make certain factions actually face any challenges whilst really screwing over other factions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So has anybody had much success with the Welsh with the new changes? It feels as though the changes to food really screw you over in a campaign start that already depends so much on luck then on anything you actually do.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Beefeater1980 posted:

My heroism is now hovering around 100 and I don’t know why.

Longbowmen are the business though. And welsh spearmen are surprisingly tough

It is always fun watching units just melt under concentrated fire from longbows.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I just got to defend two different settlements with the Welsh and boy were they massacres. I was able to bring down their siege towers with concentrated fire arrows, leaving the only option for the enemy was through the gate and then it was just a matter of creating a wall of men so that the oil and arrows would slowly chip away at the enemy. Also that gave me the time to see some of the death animations and watching a man full of arrows writhe in the dirt desperate to get away from it all is kind of depressing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

algebra testes posted:

When do I want Swords men over Axe Men? Is one better against Cav or something?

Swords are good all around units whilst Axes excel at charging. For dealing with Cav you want spears just like in every other game. Of course everything loses to Welsh Longbowmen in any quantity but that is because they are an absolutely terrifying unit.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Never contest the walls. Let your towers and missile troops pick at the enemy as they move forward then move them back as soon as they reach the walls. Set up choke points in the city and get the enemy to blob. You can tier these choke points and have the enemy exhaust themselves by having 5 units fight one of yours before moving onto the next. Exhausted troops suffer huge melee attack and melee defense penalties. I don't remember exactly what but it's something like -70% effectiveness at exhausted.

Unless you can actually destroy the siege towers. A couple high tier archers with fire arrows can destroy two to three siege towers before they hit the wall and if you have done that then you have won the siege as all you have to do is put all your forces at the gate and let the boiling oil finish the job.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Billzasilver posted:

If you can fight the soldiers pouting out of the siege tower, I suspect that normal archers can shoor fire arrows from the side, maybe kill all the men inside the siege tower too.

Why give them a chance in the first place? Your archers only have so much ammo so I much rather use it to force the enemy under the boiling oil and let the defenses take care of most of their army then have to worry about holding the line in multiple places. Without multiple points of entry a mid tier town can wreck full stacks with ease.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

shalcar posted:

They did literally just halve the damage boiling oil does though, so that might not work so well anymore. Worth testing though.

That doesn't matter. In one of my battles with the Normans they stormed through the gate and despite taking some hefty damage were able to take the capture point and thus nullifying the oil. Even with the arrow towers somehow staying up and switching sides I was able to hold the line with just a garrison until they broke and ran.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I would still not recommend contesting the walls just because of how glitchy and bad pathing is on them. Once you put a unit up the walls that unit is 100% committed and either it wins or at least does enough damage that losing it is a worthwhile trade. It's a little different on walls with flat ground behind them but on the Attila engine I've tried to move troops straight off them and onto the ground behind only to have them glitch out and try to walk through the enemy.
There's other mechanical issues in fighting on the walls like getting flanked and attacked from behind penalties because of how units are forced together. When a unit is on the wall the game considers the front of the unit to be the side of the unit facing off the wall.

E: In Rome 2 and Attila what does work really well is instead of putting your troops on the wall you put them at the bottom off the wall in a deep formation right at exit where the enemy has to come down. If you put your skirmishers back from there they get great line of sight on the enemies still on top of the walls.

I am not saying to contest the walls. I am saying that if you have the firepower then you can deny the enemy access to the walls and force them into chokepoints where their superior numbers mean nothing.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Minenfeld! posted:

So Thrones is worth picking up? I keep reading reviews online saying how awful it is. But given that I've felt the TW series has gotten pretty bloated since M2 mechanics wise, I'm thinking it may be worth it to see the new directions it's taken.

I would say go for it. Whilst it takes a bit of time getting used to, the recruitment pool is great for creating armies really quick. More importantly the factions feel different due to both campaign mechanics and the speed of which you can unlock your elite upgrades so that you can start to enjoy what makes your faction dangerous.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ha, loser. Being right about things is lame.

I'm really dissatisfied with the Wessex campaign. I expected more infighting to stop the inevitable tide of the biggest power in the game, but nah, Alfred's just kinda great.

That is why it is so much fun being a power nearby Wessex as it gives you a good midgame challenge in trying to oppose him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What the hell is the siege tower fiasco?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Shame you can't target siege towers with non-artillery units.

Considering the fact that all units automatically have ladders, that is not as useful as it sounds.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

Huh. Note to self: when I run into Zhuge Liang, make sure to engage him with a dishonorable general who won't hesitate to take that punk's head clean off

That but for the whole Shu faction. I am sure Liu Bei's head will look quite noble mounted on my walls.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Depends on whether you're fighting armored opponents or not. Archers are pretty crap against mailed opponents, while skirmishers will loving melt them

Or split the difference and go Welsh for the Longbow.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

A
Pre order, also apparently CA called its fans "fascists".

I am personally very okay with the "order within the first month and get cool stuff" idea.

Considering the shitshow surrounding the female generals CA is not wrong about part of their fanbase.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the scale of things in China really goes to show you how Eurocentric history as it's taught in the west really is. WW1 is the great tragedy, marked by a solumn day of mourning every year, 16 million dead.

The Taiping Rebellion is a minor footnote, if it's even mentioned at all. 20-30 million dead.

To be fair the Taiping Rebellion lasted about 14 years or so whilst World War I only lasted 5.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just checked and I have one as well so the same offer applies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just saw the new diplo video for three kingdoms and that seems to be an awesome feature. It will be nice to have proper mechanics to cultivate large military alliances that with the right approach will actually stick together long term.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it is just me but I am looking forward to three kingdoms just for a chance to wreck shu for being a bunch of self righteous assholes in the dynasty warrior games.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Chortles posted:

what would you say if I told you that the Peach Garden Oath brothers don't actually hold any commanderies at the start of the campaign and appear to be a Warhammer 2-style horde?

That just makes them even more interesting to crush.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That sounds malevolent.

The further I get away from what Liu Bei believes is benevolent the better.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They really seem to be going all out in redoing the total war formula with Three Kingdoms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfzwCV40Vsg

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

How is the thrones recruitment different from the Rome2/Shogun2/Warhammer/Attila system?

You can recruit as many units as you have space in your army, but they start at half strength and take a couple times before they are fully ready.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

Watching that Yuan Shao stream, they need to have a way to speed up duels after the battle's ended around them.

Part of the issue with that dual was that the enemy was so weak that it was easy to defeat them before the dual was concluded.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So they have just posted a classic mode battle on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fD1rzvghxc

Only comment I am going to make right now is I do like how you can see where a unit was wiped out by the flags left on the battlefield.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That Warhammer feature sounds like an Empire overhaul. Sweet!

The picture of what is likely the grail says otherwise.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dramicus posted:

My first complaint when I play 3K will be about the disturbing lack of :krad: guitar solos.

I am sure someone will try to mod those in.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Okay in retrospect I was way exaggerating with "almost a certainty," but in addition to what Chortles said (and seriously it's like, right loving there on the map, not even squashed against the edge or anything), a couple of times now the devs have reacted notably coyly when asked about it / dropped what can be interpreted as hints during the livestreams. Maybe I'm blowing it a bit out of proportion but the twitch clips have thousands of views so I'm not the only one. Anyway it's not certain but I feel pretty safe on betting it's coming, and likely sooner than later.

I mean that wasn't remotely my point, more that it adds context in the form of things like that.

that said that kinda blows, I love those. is there other stuff on the map to fight over?

There are certain region specific buildings that will produce gear, ranging from slightly better then normal to legendary, for your faction as long as you hold them.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is what you should think of whenever you use/fight Lu Bu in Romance mode.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So they have just posted a video showing what it looks like when the period of The Three Kingdoms truly kicks off.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am curious if you get a free capital move once the period kicks off or should you keep at least 10k (the cost to relocate a capital) in the bank so that you can quickly relocate your capital if it looks like someone else will beat you to the punch.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

I've kind of fallen out of love with Total War for a while now, due mostly to the overmap portions of Warhammer 1 and 2 being abysmally dull and having basically no meaningful gameplay (and the games between Shogun 2 and them not being great). I haven't been following TK much but my understanding is that it's working hard to make the map section of Total War more than a vague economical act and moving armies around, could anyone speak to (or probably better link to) everything they're adding on that front?

Those are the broad changes to the system.

Diplomacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa-Sp1fwHmA

Spies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfzwCV40Vsg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
In today's Sun Jian stream we got to see firsthand just how differently Romance mode will play when compared to Records. Through the proper usage of heroes and abilities Wheels was able to turn a decisive defeat into a heroic victory with an army that just that turn had been mauled in a particularly bloody ambush.