Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm thinking about finally picking up Attila. Can anyone recommend some mods to get right out of the gate to improve it?

Things I hate: Settlements getting nuked and then the AI never making an effort to resettle them, agents, the AI refusing diplomacy no matter what they get offered and the AI making poorly balanced armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Thanks, I've picked those up but I can't get past my first battle. Yikes the lighting on Attila is bad! It's this weird over saturated, gamma hosed mess. What's a good mod to fix the lighting?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
There's no way to get a military access treaty as a horde is there? I can't even find a table to mod it into the game with.

e: In Attila

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Oct 10, 2016

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've been having some fun playing Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai. How does Napoleon Total War hold up for gunpowder warfare? Really like setting that that perfect firing line and having the idiot AI suicide march straight into it because I have siege weapons which automatically triggers an attack.

Wonder if they'll ever fix that? It's been a part of total war games since, I think, Rome 1.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nopantsjack posted:

Ancient Empires stuff

How complete is the mod for a beta version? I get the impression from your post that it's essentially done save for a few balancing issues. How is campaign AI? Do the factions build large and balanced armies?
I'm really interested in giving this a go. Rome 2 in the Attila engine sounds great. I never had much of an issue with performance in Attila and my pet peeve was the Hun Horde mechanic.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nopantsjack posted:

I didn't play around with it that much, I ended up uninstalling it because i always put TW games on my teeny SSD which was like 95% full and I needed room for the Dark Souls remaster! I do plan to play more of it down the line though because I was quite impressed, going in with low expectations and coming out with "finally a reason to play attila! those crazy modders did it!".

I don't think all the factions are in by a long way, but Rome and Carthage probably are done, Rome in particular has about 50-60 diff units. Armenia and Macedonia also looked pretty much there.
I'm afraid I don't really know about CAI other than it was quite aggressive (to a slightly stupid extent, but I prefer that to overly skittish and defensive) for instance Carthage sallied out to fight me with an army that was really never going to win, though that might have been a autoresolve issue not an AI one.

If you're interested its definitly worth a shot, I wasn't really interested and still liked what I saw. I'd also like to know your impressions if you stick around with a campaign longer than me.

I did end up playing about 15 turns into a Roman campaign. I like it. It's definitely not done but it's complete enough to play. The building system is bloated and needs someone to sit down with a calculator to take a good look at the upkeep costs. There's about 30 different building types with many of them having branching trees but like all total war games there's about 5 that are any good when you take into consideration the upkeep cost (at least for Rome which has the most complex of all the building trees). If you just build what you think you might need or want in a province you'll end up destroying your economy. All of my regions have an identical building lay out because of it.
The units are cool and they've tweaked battles so they'll actually take time. An elite unit won't chew strait through a low tier unit in a matter of seconds. Most battles have ended in me completely encircling the enemy and even when encircled the AI wont instantly route. They've done something to autoresolve too so that even with a superior army you'll have to fight all but the most lopsided battles. Siege units don't destroy walls in a few hits anymore and are far less accurate. A had a catapult doing about 2% damage per hit to a tower and it was lucky to land a hit once every ten volleys.

All of that might sound really negative but the mod owns even in its incomplete state. The AI seems to make mostly smart choices and is aggressive. It fields armies that are balanced even if it's not too good at using them (but it's total war so no change from vanilla there). I really like the supply mechanic. I had an army laying siege to Arretium while I had nothing in the area which ran out of supplies on their own and had to run back to friendly territory. It's a slow burn and you'll need to pick up the 4 turns a year optional pack for it or Scipio will be an old man before he gets out of Africa.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

StashAugustine posted:

i keep getting frustrated with total war games because they tend to be really bad at actually giving you cool pitched battles and you spend 90% of the game autoresolving sieges unless you crank up the difficulty high enough that you end up getting outnumbered 3-1 every turn, and because all of the non-shogun or warhammer rosters tend to be pretty samey. does tob have more interesting battles and/or rosters?

I can't speak for the battles but it has one of the least (if not the least) diverse roster of any TW game I know of. It's all on the same two islands so all the troops are slightly better/worse versions of each other.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

My Imaginary GF posted:

Whats a good strategy for defeating greek/hoplite armies? As Rome/Carthage, I always seem to looks 1k more in full-stack battles against hoplites than the other side.

I get the impression you're probably looking at the enemy front line and trying to match it 1:1. They have 10 hoplites lined up so you have 10 of your own troops lined up. Don't do that. Stretch your lines out and maybe have half as many of your infantry engage the front and keep the rest in reserve to flank and encircle.

Every single battle in Rome 2 - DEI or vanilla - should end up like a full Cannae type encirclement (disclaimer: i haven't player it for years but DEI doesn't change the basic battlefield AI of Rome 2 last time I checked). You can even roleplay a pre-Marian force of Romans and have great success with it.

Keep your general near the centre of your front line but not engaged because the enemy will always blob into the centre to get at him.
Stretch out a front line of Hastati to match the enemy line and have them engage from the front. Your hastati will lose that engagement but you have the triarii reserves that will hold the line when the hastati crumble. Have two Triarii act as reinforcements for the centre and use the other two to help your cav kill the enemy cav (keep that fight as close your main force as possible - don't go adventuring way off to the flanks for a cav fight and let them come to you.) You'll need the spear support for your cav because Roman cavalry sucks and can at best slow down the enemy cav. Probably they'll just charge their cav straight into the centre of your line though. If they do that you can just keep the triarii as a reserve and use your cav to go kill their skirmishers.
Move your Principe to the flanks and engage any infantry that got around your lines. They will try to flank your front line so you can get an easy rear attack on any flanking infantry. Once you win the flanks move all of your principe and cav to the rear of the enemy blob and crash those two triarii you were using the fight cav into the enemy flanks. If your hastati line has held to this point move those triarii reserves into combat. Have your cav clean up skirmishers and let your principe unload all their pila into the enemy rear before charging in. The enemy will mass route pretty quickly from flanked and rear attack moral penalties and instead of just beating them you'll wipe out the army because they have nowhere to route to.

Your army should be 5 hastati, 5 principe, 4 triarii, 4 equites, 1 velites (just in case of elephants while your pila armed troops are engaged in melee) and your general.

If you have the money you can tell those 5 hastati to gently caress off and just have 10 principe ordered into two lines.

This tactic will work against any enemy faction until you get to a real cav heavy and/or skirmisher heavy faction. Don't ever engage pikes (no matter how low tier they are) from the front. Just keep shuffling your line back from them until you've emptied all your ammo into them and are in a position to flank. The heaviest infantry still moves faster than a pike phalanx in formation. Pikes will derp out if they're not provided a clean front line to attack. Again, draw them towards your centre with your general and wrap around.

Don't engage two of your units against one isolated enemy unit head on. Engage with one unit and move the other to the rear and sandwich it.

You will win every single battle you fight doing this until you start getting outnumbered by like 4 - 1 (because then the enemy can't field all of their troops at the start of battle and your encirclement will be compromised by a constant trickle of enemy reinforcements coming in from the rear. Even then if you get that encirclement fast enough you can just pick off reinforcements one by one or reform your lines and repeat the process. It's really satisfying at first but after 5 or so times doing this you'll realise how limited the AI is. They will never not blob into the point of your line closest to your general.

E:

Kenzie posted:

I noticed that attackers can easily capture a segment of the wall with siege towers, then push the defenders down onto that steep slope. So does that mean the defenders are suffering a huge penalty when trying to push up that slope to keep the attackers contained up on the wall? Is it better to abandon the walls when that happens and then try to form a second line deeper in the city? The game doesn't seem to tell you when a unit is getting a high ground bonus, or at least I haven't noticed.

Never contest the walls. Let your towers and missile troops pick at the enemy as they move forward then move them back as soon as they reach the walls. Set up choke points in the city and get the enemy to blob. You can tier these choke points and have the enemy exhaust themselves by having 5 units fight one of yours before moving onto the next. Exhausted troops suffer huge melee attack and melee defense penalties. I don't remember exactly what but it's something like -70% effectiveness at exhausted.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 29, 2018

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I would still not recommend contesting the walls just because of how glitchy and bad pathing is on them. Once you put a unit up the walls that unit is 100% committed and either it wins or at least does enough damage that losing it is a worthwhile trade. It's a little different on walls with flat ground behind them but on the Attila engine I've tried to move troops straight off them and onto the ground behind only to have them glitch out and try to walk through the enemy.
There's other mechanical issues in fighting on the walls like getting flanked and attacked from behind penalties because of how units are forced together. When a unit is on the wall the game considers the front of the unit to be the side of the unit facing off the wall.

E: In Rome 2 and Attila what does work really well is instead of putting your troops on the wall you put them at the bottom off the wall in a deep formation right at exit where the enemy has to come down. If you put your skirmishers back from there they get great line of sight on the enemies still on top of the walls.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 30, 2018

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Hunt11 posted:

I am not saying to contest the walls. I am saying that if you have the firepower then you can deny the enemy access to the walls and force them into chokepoints where their superior numbers mean nothing.

Oh yeah for sure. I couldn't tell you how many battles I've won by blocking up the gates while the AI tries to push thousands of men through them. In Rome 2 I've had one unit of mid tier pikemen rack up over 2000 kills.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

nopantsjack posted:

iirc the reason they gave was to prevent you having to wait a bunch of turns to have a full army which... Heh

E: although on TW academy it now says it was to make it take longer so who knows. It also says "unless you have the gold" is there a way to buy full units or is CA just being confused?

I think the gold thing may be in reference to be able to abuse the system and grab a full stack instantly in you have the funds. I think you can recruit and merge units until you have a full stack.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Azran posted:

So I went and gave DeI a try and

oh my god

Any, uh, tips? I tried Pontus and noticed that even after like 5 minutes of non-stop engagement, my phalanxes had barely lost any soldiers.

That information pop up there is just your recruitment pool. Different buildings will increase the growth of different classes. Each unit recruits from a different class. So for like high tier cavalry you'll need 1st class citizens and for militia chaff you'll need 3rd or 4th class citizens.

Battles just take a lot longer but all the same mechanics are in place as vanilla. Rear charge, flank and surround. Because battles take so long it's worth keeping a portion of troops in reserve so you can switch out your front line when it gets exhausted.

You can get a submod that will speed up the battles if that's not to your tastes.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So random question: I've felt like playing a historical TW game rather than Warhammer so I've been playing Attila for a bit, but are there any mods out there that change the unit card graphics without doing anything else? I like the stylized graphics that Rome 2 and Shogun use (or hell, even the Charlemagne DLC for Attila itself!) and I don't know why for Attila they decided to go back to boring 3D renders of the units. Mainly I just kind of have trouble telling units within the same class apart and some more distinctive artwork would be helpful.

I don't think there's exactly what you're after but you can get some mods that colour code units cards to help differentiate them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Did formations in previous TW games give units stat bonuses?

At least as far back as Rome 1 they did.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I've been playing DeI with its supply system and it took me way longer than it should have to figure out how it works (as it turns out very logically and reasonably). I had an army in Pergamon that was getting devastated by attrition and I had the supply building. Couldn't figure it out until it dawned on me that it was a landlocked city and I didn't have a nearby port to bring in supplies from.

It's a great mechanic that adds another layer of depth to a campaign, but, I don't think more complex campaigns are the way the wind is blowing for CA.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Has anyone modded this enough that they know which tables are used for garrisons? 'Cause it's way to other TW games.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Chortles posted:

What exactly about garrisons are you looking up?

Everything. I'm trying to build new garrison compositions using new custom units. This used to be in 3 tables but now I don't know what the gently caress. I looks like a mess of reference pointing to refereces and I can't find the original table to start building from.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

So uh, from the broken English I'm guessing the event is from Wudaissance but is that trait from vanilla?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

KazigluBey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAl9SayLzTE

Truth Behind The Myth, The Trojan Horse: Just a slightly themed siege tower.

Mmm, yeah, God bless EGS 'cause I'm not sure how well this would have done otherwise, lol.

This looks indistinguishable from all those lovely mobile strategy games that people shill at the start of their youtube videos.

It's the colour palette or something. It just looks cheap and cartoony.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
God I would have loved an historical late bronze age tw game. Troy as fantasy is about as interesting to me as King Arthur or something equally overdone.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yeah, King Arthur is super overdone. A whole two not very good games is far too much for Arthurian content in the strategy game space.

I mean in general. It doesn't matter to me what medium its on anything King Arthur related is boring rear end poo poo that didn't need to get made. Ditto the Illiad and Odyssey. It doesn't matter if it's a movie, a play, or choose your own adventure book - it's been done to death and I'm sick of it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dramicus posted:

Two steps forward, one step back. I guess. And since it's on epic, there won't be any usermods that disable agents, at least for several months. *cue sad trombone*

Unless CA has completely reinvented how they make these games (they haven't) then that's something I can make within like 5 minutes of the game coming out. Steam workshop is just a method for distributing mods - something else will host them.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Buller posted:

Whats a Brisbane

Aussie slang for a latrine pit.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Communist Thoughts posted:

Helen looks uh... pretty stupid

are they basing that look on anything?

She is beautiful and I can't wait to get up in that clussy in a Paris campaign.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
For a free game it's pretty good but if you didn't get it for free - don't get it. Just play 3k or Rome 2 or something. I wanted to play a Trojan campaign where I sat and waited for Danaan invasion for a defensive campaign and that doesn't seem to be coming. I'm 50 turns in and it looks like my allies are just gonna go take Greece. So, good on them for having no Siege of Troy in their Trojan war game.

E: The siege maps would be cool without the ladders. Why even have walls?

E2: Actually gently caress that I'm going to see if I can mod the ladders out.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 15, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Well this sucks. Apparently rear end ladders are non-negotiable for CA. Cannot be modded out because even after a decade of making the same game over and over they still can't get their AI to work.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Captain Beans posted:

just curious - if you remove ladders how exactly do you expect sieges to go?

isn't the only option battering ram and then its just a moshpit at the gates every time?

I forgot there's no real siege engines in this is how.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ShootaBoy posted:

Yeah the magical ladders are absolutely the best thing they've done right after ditching agents for 3K, and its bizarre to me that someone can think otherwise.

Your opinion is wrong and you're a bad person for having it.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
The good opinion is that CA fixes the AI so that it can navigate basic obstacles. If you've only ever played a siege battle against the AI I can see how you'd want something, anything, to just get rid of how buggy and tedious they are but siege battles against other people (or a hypothetical competent AI) are awesome.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

yikes! posted:

maybe they could cure cancer while they're at it hohoho

I mean, if it's such an insurmountable problem then scrap sieges altogether. Sieges being fun is contingent on this problem being solved.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dramicus posted:

I'm sort of in favor of this. I like what they've been doing since Warhammer 1 where there are major and minor settlements and only the majors get walls generally. I think I'd like to see them further reduce the prevalence of walls, and they are kind of testing it out in Troy with the new settlement maps that have choke-points, but no walls.

Those are mostly taken from 3K. Actually I can't even think how sieges went in 3K when I wasn't attacking but I think they were fine. Again even with the chokepoint stuff it really only works when you're defending because all the loving AI ever does is camp the capture point (which also badly need to go holy poo poo I hate them so much).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

MiddleOne posted:

Is Troy running in the warhammer engine? Something feels distinctly off about it coming from 3 Kingdoms, or am I imagining it. :psyduck:

Yeah it's basically a reskin. What probably feels off is the weird lack of collision and everything constantly breaking, running 30 meters, then running back into the fight like they're Skaven.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If you want to be really clever just put all your forces on one side of the city then when the battle starts move them to the other side and watch the AI fall apart trying to figure out how to react.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Xander77 posted:

I can't screencap the game for some reason, but - 79 value for a single stone barter. Enough to convince anyone of anything.

Any idea what "commandment available" means?

Also, how does the game determine which regions you can exchange? I have 5 currently, but only one (not the one I'd like to trade) pops up as an option.

Commandment available means you hold all of a province and can issue a commandment (bottom left of the screen). You can only trade regions which border regions you/they already own.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Xander77 posted:

Ok, this is just outright nonsense.

I can offer 1 stone in trade over 5 turns. This gets me 50-70 value.

In return, I can ask for basically everything they own as a single barter.

Creative Assembly, what the hell.

You can stack up massive trade over turn deals and give away all of your stuff in exchange for a single payment of all of their stuff/regions then cancel the trade, stealing all of their stuff, and only losing relationship with them. You don't lose any reliability rating. You can use this to take over the whole map and steal everyones resources with trade deals you cancel before ever having to pay anyone anything.

E: In your case has there been an event or something to give you +50 to trade deals? Check your faction effects.

The thing I mention is something everyone can do anytime.

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 15, 2020

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It works but as a barter over time agreement.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
They gave the game away for free. It's gonna be lucky to get faction DLC after the Amazons thing. Did Thrones of Brittania get any dlc?

But yes I'm very much with you. A late bronze age historical total war would be awesome.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Promethium posted:

It's this thing in the diplomacy screen which says "known factions" at the top. They shouldn't have named a second screen the "known factions" panel because that is pretty confusing.

Mythological units are limited by the buildings that allow them to be built:

I built the centaur building as troy and it wouldn't let me recruit the high tier ones.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I wonder if they even can fix the trade bug without loving trade entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Nash posted:

What is the maximum level for heroes and agents?