Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Unzip and Attack posted:

I wrote my undergrad capstone paper on the topic of combat tactics not keeping up with technology in the American Civil War. The big jump in accuracy/lethality in 19th century firearms was not reflected in the battle tactics of most Civil War generals, who grew up learning linear 18th century warfare. The results can be seen in the insane jump in combat casualty percentages from the American Revolution and the ACW. It's crazy how relatively bloodless Revolutionary battles were compared to the wholesale slaughter of Gettysburg/Shiloh where whole regiments were wiped out.

That being said, I think an ACW Total War would be pretty awesome.

I'm honestly surprised we haven't seen it yet. But tbh, the Steam community for it would be horrid. Kind of how the art section for Hearts of Iron IV is full with nazi-circle jerking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That Darth guy was always obnoxiously arrogant, acting as if he was the best modder in existence. Doesn't surprise me if his own game turns out to just assume everyone will love it and those who don't are just noob plebs.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Empire was a very good beta for the (then) new game engine.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Empire also added Sweden, which felt important and cool 9 years ago.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Med 2 kingdoms has a real sweet modding scene. Deus Lo Vult was great whenever you fancied a super nerdy representation of medieval warfare.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

GLORY TO ZE REICH (not the bad Reich tho, that Reich sucks).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

Begone you are not mein kaiser

If Allah is willing, you will LEAVE ME ALONE

Also, do whatever you want CA as long as you do Victoria TW.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 7, 2017

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

I always found it weird we could spare dudes in Med 2, but every game since them you got no choice but to war crime the enemy to the last man.

I mean, it makes no sense outside sieges.

I don't think they mean it to be explicitly "you kill 'em all, hoorah!" but more of a "out of sight out of mind" sort of thing. I think the choice to release or excecute prisoners is actually a bit more harrowing, since it puts you in positions were it clearly is to your advantage to straight up murder people.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Once they introduced the free-roaming map in the first Rome, there was no turning back. I remember how cool it was and how everyone talked about it.

It obviously hasn't revolutionized the gameplay since but they have to include it. Imagine TWC if they'd go back to 2D maps. That forum would implode.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Beware of the crow.

Great heathen army I guess?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Yeah, and the early blurred screenshot implied Ireland/British Isles, so Great Heathen Army is my bet. It’s a relatively well documented period in British history and there’s been a few popular TV-shows about that general era lately.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The third century crisis is a very interesting period in history. At the same time, I feel like this is kind ohm Attila light, so I dunno...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Announcement tomorrow, tagline being “Kings will rise”.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I know China has been rumored for quite a while, but what is the basis for these rumors? Like, is there anything substantial that points in that direction that I’ve missed?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Billzasilver posted:

The only basis is that the next big game is a brand new setting and CA still has no interest in going WWI or newer.

Is it the geographical setting or the time setting that is new? Have they made a distinction?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Dong Zhuo, notorious usurper.

Burned down the capital city when it became clear he could not hold it.

Murdered by his adopted son and chief general, Lu Bu.

The history of this period is out of control.

Sounds good, I’m in. Was hoping for a Victoria-esque game but I ain’t even gonna pretend that I won’t buy the shot out of these TW games.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

We can't talk about glorious voice acting without GLORY FOR ZE REICH!

(Btw don't search with those words on youtube unless you want to see where all the Wheraboos spends their downtime. Yikes).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Fall of the Samurai was great, but the back paddling to generic English was really disappointing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The Great Heathen (Viking) Army may have been found. Well, parts of it anyway:

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/02/health/viking-graves-repton/index.html

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

CA discussed this recently as I recall, but according to their numbers, Rome 2 still has a consistent and sizable player base, thus the new dlcs after all this time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

That’s fine in my books. Especially since they’ve introduced the “not fully manned at the beginning” mechanic. Probably evens things out.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Is there any strategy game ever that has a good late game? EU4 I guess. Other than that, I feel the beginning of a game is always the most interesting.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

If they went back to 2D maps, the gaming community at large would crucify them. Pretty sure us goons would too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

The patch really made Thrones more interesting. Had to quell some really bothersome rebellions as Wessex; the pre-patch experience was much easier.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

man im trying to play m2 again (as venice) and what the ai lacks in competence it makes up for in sheer viciousness. im besieged on all fronts and there's no sign of a ceasefire

Step 1 of any Venice game: burn Milan ASAP.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

What could this possibly be though?

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’d love an Italy campaign with romans, etruscans, samnites, greeks, etc. It’s such a pivotal moment and radically underrepresented in Rome games.

I agree, I hope it’s something like this.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Thrones isn't bad at all, I just wish there were more historical tidbits. I loved those things in Rome and Medieval II; random "events" that told you about this and that historically significant discovery.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ARRMUobNU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Game is apparently delayed till late May.

https://comingsoon.totalwar.com

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Three Kingdoms....

Medieval 3 confirmed.

(pretty pls).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Goddamn that full rebel stack that spawns suddenly at the start of the Hong Rong campaign is such a kick to the nuts.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I just had an epic battle againts Cao Cao which really came down to the wire, when my main general (Lui Bei) was defeated (wounded, not killed, I guess?), which caused my other two generals to go beserk. This proved to be a blessing in disguise, because them going haywire on the remaining enemy forces turned out to be exactly what was needed for a very, VERY close victory. Some Tolkien-esque poo poo here, love it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

skooma512 posted:

Shogun 2 good

Shogun 2 FOTS good

Rome 2 bad

Attila better but still fruit of the poison tree.

Thrones of Britannia bad

Three Kingdoms good.

Rome 2 is the worst of these if only because it's very soulless. There's no real flavour to it.

Thrones is great on paper and okay in practice. Not great not terrible as they say.

FOTS loving rocks.

Also just get to Victoria TW already, CA.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Whatever they do with Medieval III, I hope they realize that they have to involve the player in the world more.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Flipswitch posted:

Has anyone ever had any bad experiences or outcomes from the Harmony/Disharmony system from 3k? I tend to avoid pairing people who dislike each other to begin with, but this campaign I have quite a interesting variety of characters who like/dislike and I'm curious how this may bite me in the future.

I’ve been wondering this myself. I love the idea of it all, but it seems to be very easy to bypass any problems with it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dramicus posted:

Oh yeah, I had forgotten how lovely the Naval battles are. But I guess that's pretty much the case in every total war.

I like the Warhammer approach, your navy just finds a conveniently placed island and everyone disembarks to have a land battle on it. All TW games going forward should take this approach.

Troy apparently does!

I liked the naval battles in Empire and Napoleon, but that’s really the only period they’ve done where they feel like a must-have.

So I finally caught up on the latest dev diary. Exciting to hear that they’re working on bigger expansions. I like the DLCs for 3K but they also feel a bit small.

Only track I need from this OST is the trailer song for the Mandate of Heaven trailer.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I’m stupidly fascinated by ancient eras so I’m all over Troy. Sounds fun with armies that won’t rely heavily on cavalry too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

I don’t see why agents would have to be more complicated than the ones in Medieval II: essentially you use spies to spread the plague from your settlements to your enemies (especially Milan. gently caress you, Milan).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

A future historical game could probably use a causus belli system to reign in the scale of conflicts.