Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
as someone who kept bouncing off Shogun 2 (one day I will get to you, Rise/Fall of the Samurai) but loved the Warhammer entries, is 3 Kingdoms a week-one buy or should I wait for the first sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Frog Act posted:

I broke my “never buy a full price total war game again” rule I had abided since Rome 2’s launch was so incredibly disappointing and THROB got meh reviews.

PSA: you can get a Steam key up to 22% off on Fanatical until June 2nd with promo code TWTKGAMESPOT--if you redeem it before the end of today I believe, you still get Yellow Turbans for free too

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I have yet to meet a single general willing to duel Lü Bu :smith:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Fifteen starts, one of which never even saw Diaochan -> Lü Bu kills Dong Zhuo allowing me to properly mop his territories up, and I have yet to see the fat bastard actually command an army before the faction gets wiped out :argh:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
-100 attitude malus with Cao Cao if I join the war against him, -40 if I don't :thunk:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I don't know if the repeating crossbowmen are bugged or something, like someone forgot to add a zero to some of their stats or whatever, but they are absolutely not worth it. Regular crossbows would be all-time MVPs if they worked with Flaming Arrows, but their repeating counterparts have almost no range, terrible damage, and seem to hate just shooting even with FAW toggled without constant micro; they're not just a pain on the field either, as they are also complete dogshit in auto-resolve.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Is there a mod that removes retreating while in March stance yet? While admittedly saving me from getting a stack surprise poo poo canned once or twice, this yackety sax poo poo with one or two enemy armies that can't even knock over a farm but can force me to repair every building in a city just by brushing up against it is exhausting. They seem unbothered by any penalty to starting the turn in hostile territory like the player does, nor do they ever seem to run out of supplies.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Peachy Poo posted:

I guess since we're talking Lu Bu I'll post the screenshots I showed my friend last night. I had a battle in my bandit queen campaign last night where my main army got caught out in a bad spot against 4 different armies of yuan shao's/his vassals'. It was wild and probably the tensest total war fight i've had in a decade+.

Lu Bu fell about halfway through the battle, and when Zheng Jiang and my strategist went insane with rage, I realized I made a huge mistake - I should've sent the strategist in to get killed, so Lu Bu would've gone berserk and survived. He would've been a huge help in the latter half of that fight. I might've survived with more than 22 troops if I'd thought to play that better.

Side note, the bandit queen's faction-wide unbreakable mechanic at higher infamy is just insane.

This is how I captured Chang'an on like turn 10 in one of my aborted Ma Teng runs, I just send in Lü Bu and his wife, and when his wife dies he goes Super Saiyan and replenishes the chunks all the machine gun arrow towers took out of him on the way to the capture point (which I've found them and massed spears are the only things that present a threat to him. Even Champions and Sentinels just evaporate if the pathing and animations cooperate long enough for him to swing instead of just follow them around trying to get Red Hare to breed with their horse).

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Peachy Poo posted:

Yeah, those stacks had a huge amount of decent quality spear units in it, which I'm pretty sure is the only reason he managed to get taken down at all.

Feels kinda weird that the best strategy in close fights like that can be to have a dude's friend run in and get purposefully murdered, so the friend heals up and goes super saiyan. I feel like maybe the 50% heal is too much, and it should just be a huge damage buff or something.

The flip side to this is you send a Vanguard-shaped cruise missile to take out their Strategist and it turns out they were besties with the other two enemy heroes, who have now gone from "almost dead" to "tearing your frontline/the guy they were dueling a new rear end in a top hat".

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
generic Strategists are better than unique Strategists if you can get them an Imperial Bow and a Robe of Omens: the set bonus gives +50% ranged attack rate :eyepop:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Vassals also end up being your only source of trade income after everyone has sided up with an emperor, but still absolutely not worth the headache.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Senor Dog posted:

Started a run as Ma Teng, took Wudu turn 1 only to see Gong Du's much bigger stack right outside it. He attacked and I had no real hope without a replenished garrison. I guess I'll restart and try to do the same to him instead

you really need to minimize your losses defeating the first stack and capturing Wudu, pretty much only use Ma Teng and his Champion buddy if you can help it though you can also get away with using his shock cav to push a unit into routing or screen them from towers--you just need enough dudes to hold the tower points and let the arrow pill boxes do their job, and your generals in enough shape to keep their own generals busy instead of plowing through your grunts.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Qiang horsemen are really loving good, fatigue immunity is awesome on any unit but all your cavalry getting them is absurd and more than makes up for the Ma's weak early game position. Cycle charge for days and never get tired, run circles around the enemy army causing the AI to go into conniptions and never get tired, stack Ma Teng/Lü Bu/Ma Chao ruler/heir/prime minister bonuses for a flat +10 melee damage, another +30% melee damage, and +15% armor on your shock cavalry globally on top of their Vanguard skill tree bonuses to them, or throw in Sun Ce instead if he shows up for a job (I usually kill off Ma Teng early so I can deploy Lü Bu for free and get rid of the Public Order malus from Cruel) for +45% melee bonus total and a flat +100 charge bonus. Your Qiang raiders cease to be shock cavalry and are more akin to horse-shaped tanks. Alas, they will still die in droves to any arrow fire and any charge reflection will make them implode spectacularly.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Ravenfood posted:

There's an event.

Also, small dumb thing: There's a set, constellation. I have no idea what it does, because it requires Sentinel Armor and a two-handed axe, which Sentinels apparently can't equip.

I think they made either the wrong chest piece or the wrong axes part of the set, so yeah as of right now you can't assemble Constellation. The effect is supposed to be a really sick +20% melee damage bonus for your army though.

e: apparently they overlooked the Raiment of Nobility too, which has a weapon Commanders can't use but armor only they can, and The Fortress set which has no bonus

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Eschatos posted:

How do you get off the ground as yellow turbans? I'm frantically expanding southward as quick as I can while Yuan Shao and Liu Bei's death stacks eat my starting provinces. I'm winning every battle handily but if I go for one of the two i know that the other will swoop in while I'm recovering.

As Shao, confederate the temple south of Dong to shoot up to the rank where you can establish peace treaties (but not before you finish researching your first tech reform if you can help it, lots of your early missions will automatically be abandoned of you promote before completing them and you'll miss out on the Book of Heavens and lots of free Huang Shao XP). Then run as much of a deficit as you can selling wooden fish or whatever the gently caress to the other two Yellow Turban factions to field enough armies to make some breathing room, definitely take out Liu Bei and Yuan Shao ASAP. You can usually lure the Peach Bros doomstack into Dong, and as long as you have an army that isn't beat to poo poo you will win the siege battle, or do what I did my latest attempt and send another army around Beihai-abouts to take the Mine and then pincer them as they go for your capital. After I killed off Bei's faction I peace'd out with the neighbors and crossed the river to take back the farm and smothered the vassalizer while he still only held Yi.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Kanos posted:

Lu Bu starts at level 7(max is 10) and the experience curve for the highest levels is absolutely goddamn brutal, so I don't think it's something you really need to babysit.

can confirm, even with the utmost Lü Buse racking thousands of kills each battle, starting on turn 3 he didn't hit level 10 until turn 167. Though I think he only had at most a +40% XP bonus most of the time, I only built one school for the reform unlocks.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 11, 2019

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

They had human-powered trebuchets. The medieval style counterweight trebuchets in the game were invented in the west, they first show up in the historical record during the Crusades.

my completely unsubstantiated pet theory is that their only reference for "Chinese trebuchets" was Netflix's Marco Polo

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Eschatos posted:

Why would you do that? Ma Teng kicks rear end.

the global public order malus from Ma Teng blows, especially on Legendary. and besides the free Lü Bu general you can appoint the wife you divorced as your heir and get that sweet -2 turns to all construction jobs, or whoever really as long as the bonus is worth it

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Eschatos posted:

Seems to me like if you're that opposed to dealing with the defining character of a faction, youd be better off just playing some other faction.

:jerkbag:

also literally everyone plays Ma to cuck themselves into Lü Bu, and Ma Chao is also there but not a dick like his dad. I've played campaigns where Ma Teng gets to die of old age, and campaigns where I kill him off in a blaze of glory/AFKing in front of arrow towers to cheese the early game, and the latter are by far easier

Gamerofthegame posted:

heck even if it is just stop taxing the province in question for a turn every so often

the 1-2k you lose is the cost of the public order building you'd be shoving in there anyway. Actual rebellions usually suicide into your garrison, though the real penalty is just having negative PO in general.

not having to deal with negative or net zero PO for the first 20-odd turns or having to switch your commanderies on and off, which can also lead to issues with food and income at awkward junctures, is a pretty big deal. since they tied pop growth to PO, you can pretty easily end up with swathes of your territory with virtually no people living in them unless you invest in buildings that boost it, taking up economic building slots, or slow your campaign to keep the rebellions manageable before you have garrisons large enough to hold two to three frontlines/walls, which is even worse.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

a single Mortal Kombat-style finisher is a tragedy; one million Ji infantry gibbed by trebuchets is a statistic

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

sassassin posted:

If you want to ruin your game this is the post to bookmark.

you are the dumbest poster in Games please don't post with a tone even approaching authoritative about anything TIA

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Pang De has wrecked shop in my Lu Bu game (might as well rename the Ma Teng start "Lu Bu's power hour" :v: ), only being surpassed by Lu Bu himself.

That said, Lu Bu has only dueled one person in my campaign, Guan Yu. Lu Bu won, not before being reduced to 10% health after one special attack :stare:

yeah, it's fitting his once-per-battle "delete everything in front of me" ability is called God of War

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Cao Cao, dead of natural causes at 69

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

skooma512 posted:

2000 years later, same poo poo different flies

I know it's in vogue to be a knuckle-dragging sinophobe right now and all the manchildren whose only lenses for viewing the world are video games and message boards think that the Hong Kong riots were some great political awakening for them, but in the interest of even-handedness maybe this kind of concern-trolling racism should be just as punishable as "shamefur dispray" poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Lu Zhi's special shock cavalry are monsters; they're basically cataphracts with splash damage.