Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my laptop sucks so I'm playing the first Rome: Total War campaign again. anybody remember that one?

is it impossible to use spies + assassins to cause the other Roman Family's cities to rebel? and then jump in on the siege right away with an army, thus stealing the settlement?

playing as the Julii, I pulled a real fast one on the Brutii and just grabbed all of Greece right away, save for the one city directly across from Italy, Apollonia. so i maxed out the amount of spies you could place there, have a little hoarde of 5-6 assassins breaking their temples and poo poo every turn, as well as killing their Faction Heir twice, but it seems like +30% law and order is the lowest it will go. so then i bounced over to one of their original cities in Italy and got it down to like 20%. i haven't quite had enough assassins to break everything available in these endeavors.

so are more assassins the answer? it seems like there is a crazy calculation going on between your spies skill level, their spies skill level, and then whether a governor is in place, etc. should I be pulling out the spies every turn and placing them back in to boost their skills?

its only 238 bc in the game, im well into gaul, i own the mediterranean, starting to look tense with Egypt in Antioch. drat i forgot how much i love this game. i feel like by taking greece ahead of the Brutii the end game is going to look really weird. they just have armies milling around, i thought it was weird they haven't tried even tried to pursue the Dacian and Scythian settlements, since they are really just 5-6 turns away and im not pursuing that direction quite yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
yeah i just noticed that the Brutii are the highest-ranked "financial" faction in my game right now even they only have 3 rather dinky settlements. i think the game exempts the other Romans from the "you gotta spend money to earn money!" concept. somebody on a total war forum from 16 years ago speculated that this rebellion mechanic only really works for settlements you once held on to, and when there are free-roaming rebel armies nearby, and very few units from other factions. some claim they have gotten far-off Roman settlements to rebel, thats it.

it makes sense. if you could just flood a fellow Roman city with spies then use half a dozen assassins to get it to rebel, it would kind of make the whole thing a joke, since a crucial limit on what you can do involves playing nice with other Romans.

i saw a guy on youtube do this thing where instead of taking more settlements and "campaigning" he just took a couple in the start, then every move disbanded units in one of his starting settlements, causing the Marian reform in like 20-30 turns or something, however long it took to develop population booming farms & barracks. in theory, between a combination of almost seamlessly causing your Roman neighbors to have rebellions, and then pitching those post-Marian Legionary Cohorts against Rebels, it would just be too easy to eliminate a huge part of the game.

im hitting the point of my playthrough where im dealing with the Egyptians...ugh. guess i have a small army of spies and assassins with nothing to do in italy

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 16, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

my dad posted:

The fastest way to get to the Marian reforms is to keep enslaving cities you conquer, and ONLY keep a general inside ONE city in Italy. Every time you enslave a city, the city of Rome gets half the enslaved pops, and the rest of the enslaved pops gets distributed among your provinces with governing generals. You shouldn't slow down your conquests. If anything, this works best with a berserk attack attack attack routine. Scipii can do this fairly quickly by enslaving Sicily and Carthage, especially if you can manage to get a small force backed by mercenaries to take a few cities in Greece.

Disbanding units is a mistake, because you can use those units to enslave another settlement for the same result, but also have an extra settlements and troops.

yeah he was enslaving, then raising peasants everywhere then disbanding them in one town, then using extra dough to raise mercenaries with generals then disbanding them there. he was kind of doing a "lets break the game" thing. also the town in question he was shooting for the first Legionary Barracks was Patavium, which already has a +7 population growth I guess, and by developing farming there you get the biggest population boost.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Xander77 posted:

Also - just send a single unit to accompany their armies and join fights. When you witness the fight in person, the Romans are a lot more likely to take losses \ lose the battle outright than when the battle is auto-calculated. You can also combine it with the method above - have your "allies" lose fights, then snipe the weakened enemy.

Is the "youtube guy" we are all talking about Many a True Nerd btw?

Yeah. I only watched like the first 5 minutes.

lol @ sending like a unit of 2 guys to watch your allies battles, just standing there as they all die

e: also lmao that i just killed Egypt's faction leader with 13 barbarian cavalry, after engaging that single unit against his 100-something force, as two armies of like 500 looked on about a half mile away

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 17, 2021

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I got really into the old school Rome: Total War just playing ancient games out of COVID boredom, now i must type nerdy words about it.

First off, playing as the Julian family but taking Greece right away instead of getting into it with Gaul makes the game a little more interesting to me, not to mention the Brutii basically floundered like failsons and by the time I was ready to take Rome their existence was negligible.

I liked how it opened up the diplomacy and espionage game a bit, since Greece is so rich and easy to keep peaceful early on. I got a little obsessive and wanted to see how far you could gently caress with other factions just using assassins and spies. This required basically savespot grinding to build up my espionage army. I'm talking like 20-30 reloads to get a 5% chance assassination to succeed, or getting back a lost spy, lol. So I guess this is breaking the game.

The most doable thing without the save spotting was probably keeping Egypt's holdings in Arabia completely plague ridden the entire time, with those settlements all reachable from one another in one turn. It took a little while but eventually the governments crumbled and the populations were stagnant. For a good while Armenians and Egyptians just went back and forth over Tarsus for turn after turn, plague ridden as it was. The usual issue of Egypt advancing onto Rhodes and starting to meddle from that direction was gone, but without actually declaring war on them. It was kind of fun cosplaying a cold war or something. I squashed a rebellion in Alexandria once (that I partially created via plague and sabotage), looted it, gave it back to Egypt, and even offered a small tribute.

Are there other strategy that get deeper into the espionage and unconventional warfare stuff as another way of playing? I really didn't start playing total war games until a couple year ago.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

You can spread plague by sending infected spies into enemy settlements.

You can mass recruit armies of peasants and move them to new territories where you disband them to resettle populations either as punishment for a troublesome region or to jumpstart development in your new region.

oops, missed a very important word there - are there any other strategy games outside of the total war series that go deeper into that stuff? do any of the later games do it substantially better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Ah Paradox gets me again, all of those recommendations look cool, thanks