Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Auto replenishment is a super handy for rolling around dropkicking nerds from one end of the map to the other but I dunno, I like how the old system made losing men in your best and/or favourite units feel more impactful. I could be fist deep in Mordor during a Third Age campaign but if my best guys get hosed up I gotta run away and replace them. Made things feel a little more strategic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm still surprised they went back and added so much to Rome 2 years after release. It's very good now indeed, shame the time period doesn't interest me as much as Atilla's or Warhammer

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'd always say try the base game first, especially when looking at big overhauls like DEI. You need to figure out if you like the core gameplay before you dive in to something more intricate, I'd say

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I liked Thrones of Britannia for what it was, but can only ever recommend it at, like, ten or fifteen bucks

The small, defenceless villages reminded me of the on-map resource spots from Empire and Shogun 2. I actually really like the idea of being able to physically deprive the enemy of a resource that way, tho it was a pain in the rear end in Thrones because you can't dispatch a company of light cavalry without paying for a general anymore

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I still go back and play Medieval II now and then. Clunky and old sure but it has such a great selection of mods, plus fantastic music in it's own right

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Is that made by the Darthmod guy too? Because his Ultimate General, or w/ever they were called, games looked kinda neat

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I really like Thrones for what it did. Wish it got an official Norman invasion DLC.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

They do? Oh wow shows how well I remember that. Thought it was set like two hundred years before that anyway.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

DEI Rome is really fun. Watching the Legions get full of local auxilia and take on the character of the regions they've been slogging through is great. And unlike a lot of strategy games featuring Ancient Rome it really doesn't feel like you're the unstoppable superpower until like really late in the game imo.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I really liked the way Atilla flipped the normal way the games play. Western Rome was a lot of fun to try and stabilise, and equally fun to start tearing down. The climate change mechanic was a little annoying but also another fun obstacle to navigate.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Medieval etc battles also had long breaks where each side would retreat to rest for a few hours. Interesting to read books and blogs about, would be boring as gently caress to play

Fangz posted:

His professional field is more about Roman economics and logistics. The problem here is that his 10% casualties figures might be true for the Romans, who didn't lose a lot of guys typically (outside of massive disasters like Teutonberg), but is it true of their opponents? Roman historians are full of accounts of the legions massacring the barbarians. Are they all completely made up?

Probably lol, like look at the numbers quoted on each side for stuff like Boudica's rebellion. Four legions against half a million people like okay Tacitus (or whoever, can't remember).

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

Imo if they ever wanted to shake up the game in a significant way while keeping the model-based battles they would have to scale down the fights a lot. No more gigantic battles where you can attack four different identical gates that are placed along a mirrored axis across a city, instead cut the unit size down by 3/4 and put them in front of single gates that are richly decorated with functional terrain and defensive emplacements. Small skirmish maps that have things you have to work around for field battles. Put in the work to make model-to-model combat better to compensate for the smaller scale.

Basically they'd have to make Company of Heroes: Medieval Warfare. Which would be absolutely amazing and isn't going to happen. The player base would probably riot, but also their ability to auto-generate maps would be hampered by getting far more complex. Making all those unit animations work would probably be a nightmare too, even if it really is necessary since as it stands right now a lot of melee fights is just opposing models vibrating around in place til one of them eventually swings a weapon.

I wouldn't play that op

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was joking before but they should do Israelites fleeing Egypt and Moses can have God Powers, making him the most OP lord

Bring back naval battles for this. Moses parting the sea under your fleet lol

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Who tf are the sea peoples (atlantis??) and what is the Bronze Age collapse. Feel like I'm on the wiki for a fantasy novel

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

As much as I want naval battles in Total War to work I've just never felt satisfied with any of them. I still would prefer they keep working on them rather than throwing the concept out entirely but I get why they did.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah the joint ground-naval stuff was really cool, some very fun hectic battles facing fights on land and sea at the same time. Plus launching D-Day assaults on coastal settlements

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's not scripted just a fun coincidence. Constantinople is a valid crusade target when held by non-Catholics (or maybe even then, can't remember). Venice is closer than everyone but Hungary so they got there first

The Fourth Crusade is definitely scripted in the Kingdoms minicampaign (though I think the timeline is off but whatever)

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Even before the rise of longbowmen England had laws clearly defining exactly how the peasant freemen were expected to arm themselves for war, relative to how much land they owned

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assize_of_Arms_of_1181#:~:text=The%20Assize%20of%20Arms%20of,%2C%20but%20on%20their%20limbs%22.

(It's also anti-semitic because of course it is lol)

And before the Normans the Anglo-Saxon kings had an extensive system of forts dating back to the viking wars manned by semi-regular peasant militias that made up the bulk of their armies, even if wealthier and better-armed household troops were the core

Edit: England might by an anomaly because it was unusually centralised by medieval European standards but I would expect something similar in other parts of Europe. Those Flemish militia companies with weird pointy sticks were raised mostly by wealthy merchants guilds iirc

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Carthage is fun

Koramei posted:

Egypt is probably the best introductory faction after Rome. Varied roster, fairly safe and rich starting location. The Iceni are alright too by dint of being isolated on an island, although imo barbarian rosters aren't where Rome 2 shines.

The Seleucids are maybe the most "beloved" faction among at least a subset of the classic RTW fanbase; in the leadup to Rome 2's launch, CA was releasing info about the game's initial factions 8 (iirc) one by one, with some people (particularly in TWCenter, a then-popular TW forum known for hosting some questionable people) getting more and more agitated "surely they're next" as each one came up and still no Seleucids. All 8 were showcased and no dice, until, right around launch, CA teased a free secret faction that would be released on launch day.

It wasn't the Seleucids; you can probably fill in the rest.

TWCentre is great for two things: finding badass Medieval II mods, and coming face to face with Balkan ethnonationalists

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm happy to get back to some more or less pure historical style. I do like what they did with a few games where if you have a special character eg Alfred of Wessex in Thrones of Brittannia (remember that game? lol) they still get a company of troops but the actual general can only die one they take 70% losses or whatever it was. Keep the special folks around but no Warhammer-style super guys

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's very funny that this is almost all coming from that Volund moron. I think it'll be even funnier if it turns out to be true

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Base Rome is good now. Limited faction selection I suppose but tbh only the DLCs that add mini campaigns (mainly Caesar in Gaul) are worth it

DEI is the big uber nerd mod. Don't know if you need DLC to play it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I miss the Med II style garrisons and flexibility of general-less armies but the AI couldn't handle it. I'm fine with losing them if it helps the computer not brick your PC trying to move ten thousand individual line infantry companies back and forth across Constantinople

I would love to see the way sallies worked come back though. Being able to slip some cavalry or archer companies out to target the enemy artillery or a dangerous unit before retreating back aafely inside your castle to delay the siege for another turn was great