Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
How long does Make Them Unique and the related portrait mods usually take to update after patches? The new patch looks sick but I'll probably hold out on playing if they don't take ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah, without mods the game gradually devolves into a soup of beautiful but fairly interchangeable character art.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I've always felt that large amounts of the tactics used in total war are fairly vibes based, especially on larger unit sizes. The looseness always felt like part of the fun though.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If you're getting into Shogun then its worth checking out the Fall of The Shogun dlc. Its the last gunpowder entry in the series and benefits a lot from the improvements made by the base game, even if the balance leans heavily in favour of artillery.

Both the base game and FoTS have some of the better seiges of the series, and they both have pretty powerful agents; it has the same problem that a lot of the series has with them taking a lot of micro, but the results can be fairly satisfying.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Are civil wars broken in Three Kingdoms? I've only ever seen them happen in game when they're mentioned in that event after Dong's death, but nothing seems to actually occur on the map.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It'd be a nice quality of life feature to be able to mark units out as reserves in auto-resolve; discount them from affecting battle results but also ensure they don't take any casualties. Even in later TW games with automatic replenishment you occasionally end up obliged to fight lop-sided battles because a wounded elite unit will be destroyed in the auto-resolve results.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

3K is much better but you get to play Divide Et Impera if you get Rome 2 and that's an amazing mod trying to turn the game into a museum exhibition with army men to bash together

Is it worth messing around in vanilla first or would people reccomend skipping straight to the mod?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Charlz Guybon posted:

Next historical game should just be a global ancient world game from the Mediterranean with early Rome and the Diadochi, to the Mauryan Empire in India to the Seven Warring States in China.

What Three Kingdoms does well makes me want the opposite of this. I hope they focus in on a depiction of a short, localised conflict where they can put the spotlight on the principle actors in the war and how their personalities define their factions. A Thirty Years war TW or something similar, where the goals are clearly defined rather than the aimless Empire building that the larger geographical maps encourage.

Also I want to see CA give another pass on a gunpowder era game, its been 9 years since the last one.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 16, 2021

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Dramicus posted:

Well if we go by the last 5 or 6 titles, the only ones that have failed or come close to failing were the regional-focused ones. Britannia and Troy haven't done well at all, while every other title with a wider scope has. 3k started almost exactly as you described, wide-but-shallow, then fleshed out with DLCs. Same for Warhammer.

See I wouldn't call Three Kingdoms a non-reigional game. Sure it covers a large geographical area, but the majority of the area covered was in principle part of a single polity, all of the main factions have a direct relationship to that state, and their aims to restore or replace the lost authority of the Han empire presents a clear thematic reason for the conflict. If you were sorting TW games into those that focus on regional conflicts like Shogun 2 or the Saga games, and those that have a more super-regional theatre like the Rome and Medieval games, I'd say that Three Kingdoms fits pretty clearly into the former.

Edit. I'm not trying to pedantic over phrasing or terms, just that I think that historical TWs can benefit from focusing in.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 17, 2021

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Feels like a shame that we never got an expansion focusing on Korea or the northern nomads.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Acute Grill posted:

I do wonder if they just want to overhaul 3K but the DLC sales don't justify doing it as an expansion. Releasing a weird video about stopping work in their Romance of the Three Kingdoms game to start developing their Romance of the Three Kingdoms game is literally the worst way they could have communicated that though lmao.

You'd think they'd want to come out swinging with all the new poo poo they could do with a proper sequel as opposed to updates, rather starting an uphill battle without anything to ameliorate people.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

yikes! posted:

TBH I much prefer the warhammer multiple games thing over one game with endless DLC. If they're going this route for 3K (and it's as value-added as what WH2 added over WH1) then I'm happy.

The big appeal of the Warhammer games is that they daisy chain together, so all the content from the first game including dlc ended up featuring in the second. There's no indication that this new Three Kingdoms game isn't just a clean break from the first.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I think the idea is that melee cavalry should be less vulnerable to missile fire due to their sheilds, and I think they are also faster than red cavalry, so they can do a better job at chasing down fleeing units and repositioning.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Stopping armies from existing without generals had its downsides, but hell if it didn't put an end to a lot of tedious micro.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Just do 3K but in the Thirty Years war; everyone's fighting for the imperial throne, Sweden/the Ottomans/the French as a late game crisis, this poo poo writes itself

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Really I just want another gunpowder game, the setting is irrelevant.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

Napoleon 2 but with Latin America

go all in on dust physics so lancers can be busted as they should be

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I don't know whats wrong with me but I'm just not invested in the egyptian setting at all

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The setting didn't grab me in the first place, but it not being on the 3K engine really did it in for me.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah, it really feels like they've managed to pull an Assassin's Creed and completely oversaturate their own niche. It's also worrying with Hyenas getting killed pre-release and that the Warhammer and 3K boom might not be reproducible; it'd be a huge shame if they overstretched themselves and went under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Reiterpallasch posted:

i don't want to generalize too much but it really feels like most people play total war games to smash their electronic army man figurines together, not to get an operational-level simulation of warfare. verisimilitude matters a lot more than actual accuracy, if that's the case.

Yeah I feel like the nostalgia for Empire and FOTS is more about it being the last time (historical) TW really tried a diffrent kind of gameplay, not that they accurately represented the realities of the conflict.