Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I love the way your troops move to make room for a duel I'm progress. I'm sure there's a way to exploit it, but it makes for a nice visual when two generals clash right at the front line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Been playing Zheng Jiang (because "bandit queen" is the raddest available title) and every single war has been an insane struggle against an existential threat. Been beating vastly superior forces by abusing night battles and slowly pulling the coalition forces deeper into my territory. Forcing a long series of 1v1 battles until I just wear out their armies, then snap forward, regaining lost territory and pulling in a new province or two.

While the mountains are known for iron and copper, their chief industry is producing widows.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish strategists weren't so mandatory but getting trebs and/or fire arrows to counter machine gun towers feels pretty non-negotiable.

Or autoresolving every city battle ever.

Just ride a general into range to face tank the turret(s) while you move your army up. Even the squishiest backline generals can soak hits for a good few minutes

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Bandit Queen seems cool, likewise Sun Jian gets the archer lady who sounds cool. The other bandit guy also gets ambush attack which seems reasonably OP

I've done one or two starts with factions from every category and Zheng Jiang the Bandit Queen is far and away my favorite. Her voice actor gives the character quite a bit of personality, she starts with good generals available. She's got a rough starting position and I had a lot of trouble being aggressive enough to make infamy really do work but she's still a lot of fun.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 3, 2019

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Alright, it's Three Kingdoms time. I've got my kingdom of the North all set up and ready to go. The other two are *checks map* on China's southern coast. gently caress this.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I've always heavily invested in cavalry in TW games but I can't imagine how you can get by without them in 3k. Crossbows are so deadly that your archer-killers have to be clever about killing archers this time around.

The deadliness combined with relatively limited ammo has brought a lot of life to 3k's skirmish game This is the first TW title in a long long time where running out of ammo is generally expected rather than a once-in-a-campaign aberration.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Random Integer posted:

It seems a weird decision to me that they went back to auto-resolve naval battles for 3k when the time periods most famous battle was a naval battle and controlling the waterways was hugely important. Especially when it seems easier to implement naval battles in a contained space like a river compared to the open sea battles they did do in Shogun/Rome. Im totally not just saying this because the auto-resolve decided a single half-strength ai stack could wipe my three full strength stacks and kill every single general I had except Sima Yi.

Yeah, CA needs to take another crack at naval battles. I generally hated real time naval battles but losing because your only option is auto-resolve in a game where auto-resolve is intentionally stacked against you feels even worse.

I'm fully aware that it sounds like I'm presenting CA with a lose-lose situation to try to make me happy.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Lategame Zheng Jiang and I've stacked enough cavalry discounts that they're free to recruit and even the most expensive ones cost less than 50 upkeep per turn. Zhenghis Khan.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
For the people thinking the endgame is too much of a slog, pop into diplomacy every now and then to see if the other kingdom is willing to abdicate to you. In my experience, the AI is pretty good at recognizing when the situation is hopeless and tapping out. Abdication means you Confederate their faction so with any luck you'll have (horribly built) armies in and around your new territory.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Fun Fact: Zheng Jian's faction does matrilineal naming, so every child born of your family tree takes the mother's surname, even if they married into the family and aren't blood descendants. I only noticed this once I was in the endgame of my campaign because I an very dumb.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

INTJ Mastermind posted:

I would prefer it if my archers didn’t get sucked into the melee line. One guy gets stabbed by an enemy infantry and all of a sudden the entire unit draws their swords.

They don't, though? Unless you give them the order to engage, only the ones threatened by melee will fight in melee.

It's one reason I dislike cavalry having such a tiny model count compared to infantry. Don't know how many times I've seen my horse bois hacking out the center of an archer unit while the rest casually continue sinking bolts into my soldiers.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Yeah, this is why I really wanted the first DLC to be focused on expanding the primary campaign. Some of the faction mechanics are forward enough to make a unique campaign. Dong Zhuo (starting with the puppet emperor), Zheng Jiang (unbreakable armies), and Liu Bei (annex Han with resource) all have very different feeling campaigns, or at least very different feeling early games. Most of the Coalition and Governors are completely interchangeable aside from their start position.

Zhang Yan's ability to do diplomacy with Yellow Turbans is potentially interesting if they didn't get stomped out so quickly.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can burn and cross those walls, I did it yesterday

The ai will sit in the rubble of its encampment while you expend 100% of your ammo on them, it’s pretty lame.

The AI will charge from its encampment or unwalled settlement if the balance bar is far enough in their favor. It seriously hosed up my attack the first (and only the first) time it happened. Generally speaking, though, encampment attacks are a free win.

Guest posted:

It's dumb that protecting small settlements is easier than protecting major cities because the AI can't scale the natural settlement boundaries on those maps and so is forced to funnel it's troops into tiny choke points protected by towers. Even on encampment maps it seems like you can burn down the fences around the camp, but you can't actually cross the fence line once it's burned down, you're still forced to go through the main gates.

It's also made worse by the major cities often having worse garrisons than the minors unless you invest in the garrison building chain. You've got a lot more ground to cover and less ability to do it.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
I really like the 8 princes scenario but god drat is it hard to keep track of all the various generals when the game is about 1000 dudes names Sima (yes I know that's actually the family name). Hell, in my current campaign there are two separate factions ruled by two different Sima Wei. My family tree is so massive that it actually glitches out if I try to view certain family members so I don't even know how many children my heir has. Sima Liang fucks.

Inside you there are two princes. One is Sima Wei, the other is Sima Wei. You are a third, different Sima Wei.

buddhist nudist fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 25, 2019

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
So as someone who's shamefully ignorant of pre-modern Chinese history in general and the three kingdoms in particular, what DLC options are likely picks to expand the base game scenario? The Korean Peninsula is already in the game map with a 3d model, so that's a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Koramei posted:

It also looks significantly cooler

Fire Arrows could be objectively worse with no tradeoffs and I'd still use them for this reason.

Half the reason I'd use them in Attila was because you could burn the while city to the ground around you.