Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Am I the only one who had a problem with MTW2's Stainless Steel mod? I would get maybe 60 turns deep, then the next turn the game would freeze or there would be some terrible error that would prevent me from continuing. I was also looking for a mod that was similar to SS in what it changes to the strategy map, but leaves the battle units the same (since my laptop can run MTW2 at max everything on vanilla, but SS chugs along during battles with all the crap they added).

Or perhaps a similar mod for Shogun 2? Something that spices up the strategy map gameplay but leaves the real time battles and units alone? I tried that Darthmod or whatever, but it was horribly buggy and didn't work correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Magni posted:

The Rights of Man 3 for Shogun 2 isn't bad. It does introduce new battlefield units, but they're using already existing models and textures, so there's no real slowdown. Campaign gameplay and battles are considerably spiced up and rebalanced.

Kingdoms is jsut a series of mini-campaigns, though there's some mods (Retrofit IIRC) that put its features (bunch of new units, two-handed swordsmen rebalanced etc.) over to the Medieval 2 main campaign.

Does The Rights of Man 3 require any of the DLC or can I just do it up with the stock game?

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Promontory posted:

Medieval 2 and its expansion, Kingdoms, are discounted on Steam today, and I'm debating on whether or not to get them and some mods. Does anyone have anything extra to say about Stainless Steel? It seems interesting, but if it's one of those mods that have cheating, endlessly subsidized AI opponents and annoying 'realism' features that can't be turned off then I think I'll pass.

I had a good time playing SS for about 60 turns before some massive bug crashed the game each time I tried to make it to the next turn. Also if you're like me and the original game runs perfectly on your laptop at max settings SS will probably break that with all the unoptimized poo poo it seems to have added. Personally I'm always looking out for mods for TW games that do what SS does to the strategy map (add much needed depth, improves lovely AI ect), but doesn't add a bunch of other useless units and poo poo that run worse. I've yet to find something like that for ANY TW games though.

edit: in the same vein I'm still looking for a mod that does that stuff to Shogun 2, but doesn't change a bunch of units for the worse and make the game run badly

Someguy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Space Pussy posted:

So.. hopefully, with a 40% bigger budget we see a proper campaign map meta. Ideally, with CK2/Vae Victis-esque features.

This is what I need out of the next Total War game. Every iteration they spend more time making the graphics and animation look pretty as poo poo but the core mechanics have started to suffer a bit, especially the campaign map. I always have to find mods to try and make it deeper because the vanilla campaign map play always feels so shallow after the first run.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Yes but without long load times you wouldn't get to hear this gem all the way through: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8_UjFFpD_c

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Why would anyone want this series to become more like Starcraft? I specifically enjoy the real time combat in these games because it's not the simplistic 'who can click the button faster check my apm bro' Starcraft stuff. I like units that suffer from moral, flank weakness, terrain bonus/disadvantages and the actual strategy that is required to succeed. I want battles to be more than right clicking on your unit and left clicking on the enemy.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Am I the only person that really does not like gun power weapons in Total War games? I'm replaying MTW2 with Stainless Steel and made an audible groan when the 'discovered gun power' event rolled around. Same reason I'm not really interested in the expansion for Shogun 2 that focuses on that stuff, maybe I'm just weird like that.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
I started up a fresh game of Stainless steel using version 6.1 based off a recommendation from this thread (since the most recent version crashed all the time and was unplayable), and I seem to have no trouble with population, be it huge fortresses or cities. Not only that, but after 200+ turns it hasn't crashed once, and I love how things just seem to work (it's great being able to sit a general in a city for his entire life and not accrue stupid traits). I also tried EB for Rome before my current MTW2 SS game and was stunned at how badly optimized it was, Rome ran worse with it than MTW2 did with SS, I was very disappointed with it.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
I still remember the Shogun demo, but I didn't get into the series until the first Medieval.

I really don't want to build a new computer for this game.. but it's so tempting.. :cry:

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Mustang posted:

edit: While watching HBO's Rome at the same time! We need some more Rome TV shows and movies. If only HBOs Rome didn't get cancelled...

Haha yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Also Rome wasn't really canceled, it was actually only supposed to be a miniseries of sorts, but was so popular they brought it back for a second season.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Unzip and Attack posted:

This is incorrect. Bruno Heller, the creator of the show, planned for 5 seasons but during the middle of the second season he was told the show was too expensive so it was shortened to 2 seasons. Sason 2 was supposed to end at Phillipi, with seasons 3 and 4 being centered around Egypt and season 5 centering around Palestine and the arrival of Christianity. You can see this in the extremely underdeveloped Egypt and Jewish storylines in season 2. I can't help but think the remaining 3 seasons would have been even more incredible.

Oh I heard it was absurdly expensive to make which is why they had to stop, but didn't know there were 3 other seasons planned.. Thanks, now I'm depressed as gently caress about it.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Nah it's just that 99% of developers are terrible at videogames, especially their own games. It's also why do many games have terrible balance issues, because the devs don't know what the gently caress it takes to balance a MP game.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

KaptainKrunk posted:

I just want to get my hands on a mod that slows down the pace of combat. Battles end way too quickly, kills rates are too high, and morale is shattered so quickly. There isn't much room for tactical reasoning, using reserves, shifting forces, or having tired units pulled from combat (perhaps have them retreat off the map and replaced with reinforcements). I get that they aren't trying to be realistic (no one wants to have their whole army rout when they lose 10% of their forces) but the series has taken a decidedly arcade turn for a while now.

This is why I still play Stainless Steel and other similar mods, I stopped playing Shogun 2 as well after my first campaign because I was tired of the arcadyness of it all. As excited as I am for Rome 2 a part of me is still thinking 'This looks great, too bad I'll be waiting longer for a mod to come out to make it my kind of fun'.

edit: really though what is the point of 1000 new animations for your soldiers sneezing if the battle lasts all of 30 seconds?

Chomp8645 posted:

While the 99% figure is an exaggeration, this man correct when he says that there is a rather bizarre trend of game developers being somewhere between bad and awful at their own games. I've never understood it, but it seems to be an undeniable truth.

Yeah that figure is hyperbole, but it's still pretty high. I can count on one hand the number of games I've played that had decent MP balance out of the gate, or had devs that really understood what makes MP balanced and still fun, without trying to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Someguy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 9, 2013

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I'm looking at downloading Stainless Steel for Medieval II, but does anyone know of a way to simplify this great mess of files the mod makers want you to download? The only complete package they offer requires you to buy a premium account on the one site. Is the best bet to just wait for whenever they release 7.0 and play vanilla until then?

You might want to get version 6.1 also. I tried 6.3 or 4 or whatever it's up to now, and it crashed all the drat time I couldn't make it past turn 20. With 6.1 I've made to turn 260 something without a single crash.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

ughhhh posted:

If i want to play some good Medieval II mods do i need the Kingdoms expansion? I remember Broken Cresent as being one of the good mods, is it still good or are there other good mods out now? Not really into the fantasy settings of the LoTR or Warhammer mods.

Google 'stainless steel 6.1' and enjoy the best of TW. I really hope some inventive modders take a look at how battles function in SS and just copy that model somehow for Rome 2. It was not terrible and the computer was actually able to hold a line, would sometimes even try to flank, and would use mounted units pretty well.

The battles lasted a perfect amount of time to allow you to do your own flanking, but they wouldn't last so long that a well placed man or horse charge into an exposed side wouldn't rout the unit. Sieges were better too, and men would still break and reform at the unit center to continue fighting instead of running off the map despite the entire settlement being encircled.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

SkySteak posted:

What's actually so good about Stainless Steel that makes it fantastic? I've heard tons of praise for it but not specifically why.

It rebalances unit stats so battles last the perfect amount of time for you to do that strategy thing you keep hearing about. Also changes music, and adds units to relevant factions and removes dumb ones, updates graphics and all that stuff without going overboard and changing the vanilla things that were done well and made the game good in the first place. Honestly it's like the perfect mod.

edit: yeah don't use any submods unles you specifically are interested in what they do

Someguy fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
An Arab faction, because they have the best music. I`m doing Egypt right now, but they get lovely late game units. I kind of wish I did the Khwarezmian empire; they get a good starting location, good units throughout, and only really have to worry about the Mongols which provides some nice mid game spice anyways.