Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!

Glass of Milk posted:

I haven't played Empire in ages, but I still own the drat thing and I now have a computer capable of running it. Is it still a giant clusterfuck? I recall that the AI was entirely poo poo with siege and also in general. Just curious since I already own it and have never really gotten past a couple turns on it.
I'm not the best person to answer that, but I originally disliked the game since watching riflemen units standing still and shooting each other felt boring and turned me off. However, two years later, I've finally came back (Partly inspired after reading a book about the British Empire) and I'm really enjoying it.

I hate the diplomacy aspect where just because I conquer a few territories in America then all of my protestant allies grow to hate me.

The AI is still, well, TW AI. I've never seen it do anything utterly retarded like in previous games, but it's still easy to rip them apart. Again, the siege AI is better than past games, though it tends to just abandon the walls once there's a breach and just wait there. They attack much better, but it's only marginally better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic
May 18, 2004

Your ass is on my platter, snapperhead!
I originally disliked Empire, the whole concept of ranged units shooting each other seemed boring but eventually I got into it (Reading a book on the British Empire helped too). However, I'm still stuck on a few aspects:

1. America: I've virtually conquered all of America but I don't think I'm getting enough money out of it. I've built up as much infrastructure (Mines, plantations, etc.) except for the 5000+ ports. Is there anything more I can do?

2. Diplomacy: As a result of taking America and fighting the other Catholic nations, most of the world hates me. Is there any way around this or does is game suggesting I conquer more gradually in future play throughs? What else can I do to secure trade agreements? I'm fortunate I have one with the Ottoman Empire, though for some reason some of the shipping routes have gone to 0 and I don't know why, I can't see any pirates anywhere.

3. Some day I'll finish my Britain play through (I'm about to crush Mysore and am fighting my way up India to get the objective territories), but what other nations are fun to play as for something different? Russia? One of the (East) Indian nations?