Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
My pipe dream for a Total War game would be pretty much a Civilization / Total War crossover. Pick a race and randomly generate a world starting with one city. Then progress from early Greek and Roman times through to the Renassance technologically while fighting on the battle map like the Total War games.

It wont happen but I can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Is it just me, or does the unit in white that's engaged with the Romans look like it is doing the whole, "charge in and stop while only the first rank engages" thing from Medieval 2 that annoyed the hell out of me?

Edit: fixed.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 22, 2012

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Mans posted:

I'm just tired of sieges. Every game is a matter of sieging or defending sieges. There needs to be a way to force more non-siege battles.

I think that the main thing that causes this is the turn based nature of the strategy map. The distance armies can move combined with how close the cities tend to be and the lack of finer strategic movement makes it more difficult to engage in the field. The best way I have found is to park an army in the field and let the ai come to you.

I kind of wish the strategic map was made "real time" with speed sliders so you could actually intercept armies as they move around on the map, but I don't think the Total War series will ever head in that direction.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

Morholt posted:

Better yet, they should bring back the Shogun/Medieval 1 system.

While I have very fond memories of both the original Shogun and Medieval, I think abstracting things too much on the strategy layer is a bad thing. I'm not saying I want grognard levels of detail or anything but choosing where to fight, or being forced to fight on unfavourable ground should be important in a game where the primary focus is big battles. Logistics ties into this somewhat and I think that a simple supply route system for armies would be a good thing too.

I mean, at the moment it's not even really a strategy map. It's an infrastructure map with very limited options for army manouvering.

Friendly Fire fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 21, 2012

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

CharlesDexterWard posted:

Are there any good tutorials on battle tactics in the Total War games? I've read a bunch of beginner's threads on other forums and articles on some websites but I just can't seem to get anywhere, at least in Medieval 2.

Shogun 2 I have found a bit easier, but Medieval 2 kicks my rear end.

I started playing England and even though I can win fair battles at the beginning, I still take losses which I think are too much.

My beginning army is one line of 4-5 spear militia, a line of 4-5 archers behind them, and two cavalry on a flank.

I try to stay in line but even when the other army is made up of equal units, like other spear militia, my spears seem to get killed in time. I try using my cavalry to flank but sometimes I have trouble manoeuvring my units. I especially have trouble using spearmen to flank at times as they tend to get caught up with other units, or when they do hit they don't seem to attack very effectively and get in a jumble.

Would it be good to have some additional spearmen behind my main spear line so that they can flank?

Take less archers, replace them with more spears. You will be able to make your battle line longer which makes it easier to flank, or you can hold the extras back as reserves to replace your front line troops when they get ground up.