Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Can you use the bugged FOTS artillery to draw in the enemy army by placing it ahead of the troops, unlimbered?

jivjov posted:

I've encountered a weird glitch. I'm playing a co-op campaign, and while attempting to disband some troops, every time my friend's game crashes. Any idea what may be causing this?

I crashed in coop recently when I tried to disband a disloyal general during my friends turn, couldn't, and then tried again during mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

bpower posted:

I played the hell out of Med 1:Viking Invasion. Anyway to play that on a modern PC? I tried about a year ago, but no dice.

It requires some serious pc fuckery. Afaik you have to set your maximum available ram down to 2gb in your windows. Googling around for that should yield something.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Some of the farther away shots look like poshed up in-game graphics, everything closer up is cgi or at least heavily edited.

az
Dec 2, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

There will be, hopefully.

I was considering starting a new game of Fall with some mods but now I'm not sure if the old process of installing them would work for now.

Why wouldn't it? I suggest you take a look at Radious' mods over at TWC, he does some good stuff and you can pick and choose what you want modded instead of getting one bigass pack.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'd still play MW1 to this day if it wasn't such a bitch to get running.

:swoon: Heavy Janissaries :swoon:

az
Dec 2, 2005

I tried it a bit and I'm pretty sure I saw pictures and listings for big stuff like proper large Daemons and Giants and Ogres and all that crap.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Radious sound mod is also pretty good and there's a "proper language" pack around somewhere that makes the japanese units actually speak japanese which is also pretty nice.

az
Dec 2, 2005

IMO the most important task in any new game is to tech for foreign ports and to conquer the nearest smithy province where you will build a gunsmith, a training camp turned into whatever camp that boosts accuracy and the foreign port of your choice, this will allow you to build the best units with the highest bonuses. I'm always playing with Radious mods so this may not be applicable to vanilla.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Trujillo posted:

Was doing a legendary campaign as the Otomi when I got a crash during the AI turns, and now it crashes every time I reload. Guessing there's no way to save the campaign?

Shogun 2s anti piracy software at least used to do memory checks every x turns, it may still be doing that. If it's a pirated copy it is probably that, if not then there are several programs that could interfere with its system such as memory editors or trainers accessing the process would trigger it and shutdown. If it is neither then your campaign is probably broken for good. If you can still reload the save and manually end the turn, maybe try changing some orders around, move an army a bit away or somesuch to change the saved seed, good luck.

az
Dec 2, 2005

madmac posted:

Rome, Carthage, Greece, Egypt, Gauls are pretty much locks, but who else?

Sparta, Germans, Seleucids, Parthians, English.. I forgot some others from when I made r:tr but there are plenty of medium to smaller factions they could add to fill the map.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Heh, extending the map was literally the first thing my comodders wanted us to do when we started on rtr. I don't know if they changed it again after I left around 1.6 but it wasn't that large I think, farthest border was modern day Iran I believe. Oh and the recruiting system sucked and I fought that stuff tooth and nail :/

az
Dec 2, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have any advice on naval battles, particularly for the later era games? I've been playing through Fall of the Samurai, and while I can crush land battles pretty decisively (except for stupid castle assaults), I can almost never beat auto-resolve for naval battles now that I have ships with cannons and broadsides and exploding.

Auto resolve for Fots has been terribly unreliable for me. Even with massive superiority you're likely to lose some heavy ships against all odds. I think you gotta bite the bullet and be prepared to keep losing and repairing your navies OR you manually play some of the more important battles. The naval ai in Fots seems to be completly broken and in my games doesn't do anything until my ships cross into range, from where I can pound their fleet from the T and kill them all with no losses.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I strongly suggest against vassalizing anyone in Fots, ever. Doing that is like tying a retarded baby anchor around your ankles, eventually they will spaz out and drag you into something ridiculous.

az
Dec 2, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah that was Darth 'I am a big pants of fire liar'. He is more or less as crazy as they come.

People have forgotten that his first "mod" was putting stormtroopers and laser rifles into Rome while the rest of us were doing serious projects. :allears:

az
Dec 2, 2005

MadJackMcJack posted:

TBH, apart from Napoleon, there are better mods for each game (and in Napoleon's case, that's only because the last patch broke most mods and he's one of the few to update his). Not really sure why he has such a large following.

Disclaimer: I know there's that French-named mod for Napoleon, but it never bloody worked for me :colbert:

I'm usually playing Shogun with radious mods but I tried Darth mod the other day on a whim for a coop campaign. When I started editing his files to amend certain things that were missing I noticed there is barely anything in his mod, like 95% of the weight of it is just some other guys graphics improvement mod, it's pretty pathetic.

az
Dec 2, 2005

El Chingon posted:

What mod seems more realistic? I've seen posts here where the units added in Radious are not totally realistic. I've been enjoying Darth since I tried it a week ago.

DM is limited in scope but playable and better than vanilla, mainly because it fixes the low morale and short battles. Radious does the same plus more interesting changes for the better and his mods are all plug and play so you can omit certain packs if you don't like them. There are two unit packs of his for each Shogun2 campaign, I think one of them does some tweaking and adding of units and the other unlocks everything for everyone and is a little bit crazy. You should check their threads out and decide for yourself if you wish to have either or both of them.
Another often overlooked mod that I suggest is "mod_fots_proper_languages" for Fots, it changes the japanese units and agents to speak actual japanese rather than engrish.

az fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 19, 2013

az
Dec 2, 2005

Probably driver fuckery.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Azran posted:

Nah, I was referring to the upkeep of each individual unit. In Medieval 2 I could get a big army right out of the gate (3/4 full stack) and only mercenaries would start being a hindrance upkeep-wise. But in this game, 4-5 Ashigaru and 2 Samurai as consuming just as much gold per turn.

It's been a while since I booted Medieval 2, though, I should go and check that.

Radious upkeep mod, done.

az
Dec 2, 2005

It's not like the Germans kicked the Romans asses or nothing, better include the Brits first :smug:

az
Dec 2, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Germans never kicked the Romans asses, that's mostly revisionist history from the rise of German nationalism. Prior to Teutoburg Forest the Romans literally drove two huge Germanic nations to extinction and post Teutoburg marched up and down Germany at will.

It's cute that you use a comedy post to launch into an angry attack on, I'm not really sure, history, Germans, reality?
I love how you gloss over the Teutoburg forest campaign, wedged between a "prior" and "post". It's not like the battle changed Imperial policy and stopped them from further attempts at pushing out the border to the Elbe as had been planned, not to mention destroying three entire Legions in one go, etc. pp.
But god am I glad we have you here to fight the good fight against German nationalism, we couldn't do it without fake history bullshit.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I'm looking for a coop partner for Rome2. I'm using Radious and some other subtle choice mods as a base and applying my own work to them, makes for very nice battles and campaign imo. Im up for play between european afternoon to american late night time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

az
Dec 2, 2005

go hog wild

N5HIE-QABBF-CBE2G