Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

queeb posted:

But minotaurs are like the funnest units in the whole game!

He played Morghur of the expensive Minotaurs though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

In the UK when we talk about "The Civil War" we're not talking about the English Civil War.

Yes we are? Most people would say the English Civil War, but I definitely would assume someone meant that rather than the American one.

Considering the amount of Civil Wars we've had, its a bit weird that we have one called the English Civil War really.

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 7, 2017

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Tomn posted:

If the spergy historical mods for Three Kingdoms on TWC uses Wades-Giles because it "feels older" I'm gonna be so mad, you guys.

So mad.

I demand that ridiculous translation with the double-barrelled western names (that I can't find).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Thank you, it's wonderfully terrible.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Empire Total War is also where most of the issues that still plague the warscape engine games first occurred. Enemies sending single unit stacks to burn tiny towns? Started with Empire. Army stacks that abuse marching formations to flee from your stacks rather than commit to a fight? Started with Empire. Naval battles where the enemy would camp on one side of a 30x30 km map? Started with Empire.

Which game started the "running from every battle they don't have a large advantage in" thing?

I miss fighting near-even battles.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

nopantsjack posted:

Attila a bit then Warhammer in a big way. Attila AI seems to be timid to the point of absence whereas warhams is just a dick that never ever makes a mistake if it can help it.

It's not fun.

I really feel like they've sacrificed fun battles for a harder campaign and that's not what I want out of a total war game.

Unless I go on all in army blocking and ambushing non-siege battles are rare as hell and then usually only when a second army comes force marching out of the FOW and the army I was chasing turns around and attacks.

Are there any mods that make the AI go for more even fights or even slightly disadvantageous ones?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Maybe they should just change the AI so it fights more battles!

I understand the "make the AI try and win the game approach" but they could limit that to legendary or something and let the AI actually attack you on other difficulties, even if its at a slight disadvantage.

I just want to actually fight field battles, without sitting in ambush and hoping the AI has decided that army is going to attack me and not defend the city. Oh wait an agent from an entirely different faction has spotted me, it's not happening.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

No love for fat Dong in this thread. Are there actually any "tyrannical" actions that you can take other than just razing settlements

It looks like the game has trait based events, so cruel characters can do nasty things. It's not unique to the Dong though.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
New recruitment system is good because it means the AI can recruit armies.

Now will I end up getting bored of fighting AI with sensible balanced armies instead of complete craziness?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

ethanol posted:

This is going like atilla for me in terms of constantly getting owned by the cpu. Is cao cao really the easiest recommended start or is this a lie

I thought Gongsun Zan would be easy because corner start, but Yuan Shao was a complete dick, throwing endless armies at me so don't fall for that.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Yah, Yuan Shao is kind of a jerk and your best bet is to crush him as early as possible before his vassal cascade goes critical. What helped me was making friends with Zhang Yan to the west, which covered that whole flank very nicely and allowed me to zoom down towards the river, snagging all the good coastal settlements along there. Between the fishery port and the salt mines I now have food for days, which let me get big enough to support two full stacks to steal his capital, which in turn made it pretty easy to get his various vassals to peace out.

Oh no, this was before his vassal swarm. I went the historical event route, then the other choice declared war on me anyway. With Han between Yuan Shao and me, I went west. This left me very horizontal while Yuan Shao took out all the Han between us. He could then field 3 full armies to my 1 and a half and I learned how the reserves system because we depleted several provinces.

Zhang Yan was a helpful west defense who drew Lu Bu into our coalition, then got vassalised by Cao Cao, forcing me to conquer him.

Then I recruited Zheng Jiang and married her to my son.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Josef bugman posted:

No as in there are no blue generals in my army but I would like some crossbowmen.

I guess you'd have to play as Kong Rong, as anyone can recruit a factions unique units and his are crossbows.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
One thing to note is that the upkeep costs increase nowhere near as much as the purchase costs. I do use higher tier units once I have some money making going and I've found the dragon units to generally be quite effective - they will hold forever against militia and mulch through them, assuming they don't get surrounded.

Also some faction uniques are really good - Ma Tengs are immune to fatigue and that is ridiculous.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

toasterwarrior posted:

Since you can't merge units and swapping does not grant you the mustering bonus, I pretty much should be disbanding units that have been hosed up too much and just recruiting new ones if I want them back in the field ASAP and don't give a poo poo about ranks, right?

That works with militia units, but late game you can stack replenishment bonuses high and advanced units cost a lot more to recruit so you'll be eating some significant costs.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Communist Bear posted:

Oh wow, lumber mills are worse than mines.

Fun tip: Don't run an entire unit of horseman downhill into spears.

Do run 6 units of horsemen down that hill though.

The first two will get absolutely ravaged, but the other 4 will be fine!

(or dismount).

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Does anyone have a link to that translation that replaced all the names with weird double barrelled names?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Thank you, it's so beautiful.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
The thing that keeps killing me in that translation in "Jinghampton"

Please rename Jing province to Jinghampton CA.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Just popping in to say you can totally do a He Yi run where you just cross the yangtze and race sun Jian to mop up the south.

I crossed the river, bashed Sun Jians face in taking all his non Eastern provinces then made him pay a humiliating peace. Then just hoovered up everything else.
Now by turn 50 I'm absolutely huge and just won my second war with the suns, leaving them with a single province north of the yangtze.

It's a lot of fun, but man, having a wide empire alone does not make much money. Doing this really does teach you the importance of those +% bonuses.

And there is nothing as disappointing as taking that armour workshop as the yellow turbans and discovering you don't get armour from it.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Senor Dog posted:

Are there are reforms/other methods I'm not seeing to increase the starting level of heroes? I'm fine with characters dying from old age, but replacing them with a level 1-3 just sucks

Assignments get them to 3 fairly fast, though obviously you need to pick them up in advance for that.

If you build schools (the plus xp buildings) this will also help them catch up. I don't think you can increase the actual starting levels though.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

McTimmy posted:

I kinda liked them upgrading their armor with levels since it meant I was never as screwed as I was with other runs and it always increased the armor stat to powerful levels.

The real catch is how disappointing capturing the armour craftsman is.

-20% captain recruitment cost for 100 upkeep a turn? No thanks!

He Yi just has to go a little bit south for it as well. Weapon craftsman still works as normal though, so don't be like me and ignore it assuming it would be another terrible bonus.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Midgetskydiver posted:

The event that causes Zhao Yun to join Liu Bei’s faction now triggers correctly

What does this event do if you are Gongsun Zan? Just randomly lose your best guy?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Gamerofthegame posted:

h m m

The end game of yellow turbans is turning out to be very unfun. For one they don't have any anti-corruption buildings which is loving annoying, but whatever they stack modifiers with characters. The real issue is that I, uh, am not really getting a lot of new characters now. At all. I can only run 4-5 armies as that's all the officers I have, with a lot of them getting up there in age. I actually had to go back a save because sleeping dragon fuckhole ramped out of the mists from a neutral territory into he yi's stack after it had just taken a city and immediately assaulted, which wasn't really a fight I could win. Except then all three officers die, particularly faction lead, and despite owning a fourth of the map that puts me in a failure state.

u g h

edit: also i only have two guys left who can equip trebechets, among other archery things. which. is a problem...

Yellow turbans need some female characters, so we can raise the next generation of officers.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
While Ma Tengs po malus is bad, his silk income boost is the only reason I had an economy.

I traded for the other 2 silk provinces and it is super worth it.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think the AI doesn't really consider matching leader to unit type when it recruits, and never replaces units that come with a leader, so it always ends up with these pretty garbage mixed bag retinues. I've noticed the "double-strategist" army a lot too, not really sure why they seem to prefer them so much to other leader types. Like they are probably the best one, but you still only want one per army.

I don't think it's a lack of unit replacement causing this - I think the AI is deliberately programmed to do mixed retinues so it can use them in any combination and have a valid army - basically ensuring the AI always has a "decent" army rather than swapping between "good" and "terrible".

We all know we would end up with triple strategists consisting entirely of trebuchets if it wasn't, other total wars certainly end up with silly armies.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

Wound up securing the first commandery, and when the story choice came up I went for it and marched my rear end to the capital. Lu Bu swung north and started capturing my norther region, but I took the capital and now hold the emperor and was able to negotiate peace with all but one of the guys warring with my new vassals. :v:

The fatigue immune cav is indeed worth their weight in gold, I'm also learning how shockingly effective it is to just send my commanders into a stack of poo poo, demoralize them, and then slam into their unbraced asses with the rest of the cav line. It makes sense that they are obnoxiously stupid expensive to recruit because of it.

Get your hands on the horse pastures that reduce upkeep and recruitment for cavalry. Theres a few in the northwest area of the map and 1 in the north east. You can get your fatigue immune murder boys cheap as hell.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Yan Baihu's in battle arrow skill is some kind of explosive shotgun rapidfire murder skill.

Quite happy to have him charge ahead of the army just to get that off at close range, it will normally straight up break some militia.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Koramei posted:

It also looks significantly cooler

If you don't use fire arrows for night battles you are loving up big time.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

The Doomhammer posted:

That's one of the nastier offensive council actions. I'm just glad the AI hasn't pulled the 'kill wounded general' one on me yet. Though murdering Zhao Yun in his bed was pretty funny.

Completely loving a factions food via faction council cost me 500 gold. It's ridiculous.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

McTimmy posted:

Annexing is always a treachery hit but annexing within ten turns is even more of a bane.

Also if you guaranteed their independence, it's an even worse hit.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Alchenar posted:

I picked up Three Kingdoms in the sale and I find I'm bouncing off it. I feel like I understand everything it's trying to do, but the construction system is needlessly byzantine, as is the tech tree. I like the concept of retinues but in practise it means each army now has three leaders who's gear and attributes I'm trying to track. I don't understand army composition at all and this is the first Total War game I've ever played where I have zero intuitive sense as to what will happen when two different units meet. As a consequence I've been auto-resolving a lot. I'm 50 turns into a Cao Cao campaign, have seized everything East up to the coast, swept south along the Yangtzee river, and formed a coalition with Liu Bei to stabilise that front. I have five generals in two armies and my state exists pretty much hand to mouth with me selling vast amounts of food to anyone with money to pay for it.

I don't think I'm having fun. Have I picked the wrong faction to start with?

Everything is colour-coded is the secret to understanding 3k.

When it comes to buildings you usually want to build things in cities that match what the minor settlements provide. Got a trade port producing lots of commerce? The blue commerce boosting buildings are probably gonna work out great! This game is all about stacking bonuses in settlements to suddenly produce a whole lot of poo poo, especially for commerce/food and peasantry income. Industry income tends to be a little more independent, with less buffs.

Technologies will then boost related things as well. Got a lot of blue minor settlements? The blue tech area is going to let you upgrade them further! There are some key techs though, there's a red line tech that gives +10% replenishment that is godly for keeping your units fighting. In general the stacking bonuses thing means looking at the money makers you have and getting the techs that let you upgrade them is going to help your economy the most - if you look at a building you can't upgrade it should have a little image of a tech you can click and get taken to the point in the reform tree that techs at.

This then applies to armies, your blue guys will get new units and buffs from the blue techs, so if you like strategists, blue techs will help. Want to upgrade your sentinels? Check out purple techs!

As for when units meet, Chortles summarised that well, with the addition that militia are now much, much worse than non-militia units (especially morale wise) so you can expect militia to get chewed through by same colour higher tier units. Personally I find shock cavalry wins fights, your main line just needs to hold while that happens and shielded spears are usually the best way to do that, with archer/artillery support for making enemies engage, so my favourite armies are Red/Blue/Green. You can always substitute, Purple will hold the fine (will do better versus enemy infantry and worse versus cav) and yellow cav can manage a charge just fine, they just won't have the sheer punch of red.

Don't worry too much about attributes of a general tbh - you'll usually be equipping the gear you have, I don't usually tend to have a lot of spare gear for options until late game and when it comes to skills I prefer to pick based on the abilities/bonuses rather than the stats. Do equip any better weapons you find asap though, the difference between a generic starter weapon and even an uncommon one is absolutely massive for your generals damage output.

Chortles did units so
Purple - Industry/Construction
Green - Food/Peasantry
Red - Military
Blue - Commerce/Trade
Yellow - Corruption/Public Order

Theswarms fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 7, 2021

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Kaal posted:

Yeah I keep meaning to pick up 3K, but it certainly sounds like the agent system is a big improvement.

The big improvement is the removal of the agent system :v:

Warhammers make agents useful as battlefield hero characters was a nice improvement, but 3k's just remove them solution is even better - especially as I never need to interact with the spy system at all!

Though I do miss the days of using agents to ferment rebellions and then attacking the rebels for taking things without starting a war.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

zoux posted:

Ok, how about which one is the simplest? I picked up a few and 3K seems insanely complicated compared to Rome TW, which is the only game in the series I have any playtime in at all (and all that was campaign because my laptop couldn't handle tactical battles and it was years and years ago). Or is it not as complicated as it looks

The key to 3k is understanding the colour coding and it applies to both the strategy and battle layers.

Campaign wise you want to build things in your cities that match the minor cities.

So if you have farms, which are green, green buildings will boost the income and food production of farms.

If you have a blue trade port, blue buildings will boost commerce income.

Tech wise then, blue techs with boost blue buildings and units etc.

Generals will boost units of their colour and get more unit choices of that colour.

Green units are spear units and have high health so are good at holding enemies in place and stabbing cavalry.

Blue are your ranged units.

Yellow is sort of all rounder cavalry, so tend to be worse than red.

Red is charge cavalry.

Purple is evasive infantry, tend to be hard to hit and beat green infantry, but worse against cavalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have never seen a Han yellow foot soldier; every single unit is mounted.

The yellow dragon unit is axemen.

Their ostensible niche is anti-archer, but ultimately red units do that better by just charging down and murdering the archers, so they end up being cav that needs a bit less micro, but is a bit less effective really.

And even that gets beaten when you get to the end tier red units.