Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
After the initial shock and surprise of Rome 2 being announced, is it bad that the only thing I'm concerned about now is whether or not they fix their boring lovely general/heir system back to how detailed and fun it was in Rome?

No I don't want to pick between two lovely retainers I want to pick up my drunken uncle randomly :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

MrOnBicycle posted:

What they really need to do is expand on the multiplayer campaign. Add the possibility for more players and for players to attack each other.

They need to balance them first. Shogun 2 was a step in the right direction but it was completely broken because either you started near the trade routes (and had a 100% chance of winning) or you started anywhere else (and your chance was closer to 0%).

That said, I remember between the releases of Rome and Medieval 2 they essentially said that they would never ever ever release a multiplayer campaign game so I was pleased they even considered it. It's a shame they probably picked the worst map to do it on for the first time.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

edit: oh someone beat me to it

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Definitely agree. Until Sima Yi shows up to be the villain to Zhuge Liang's hero, there isn't really a hero and villain for the show after Cao Cao dies.

Chen Jianbin as Cao Cao steals practically every scene he's in.

I have to say I'm really glad creative assembly made this Three Kingdoms game. I was introduced to Three Kingdoms when I lived in China and thought it was a great setting and one of the few that Western nerds had not yet been introduced to. But now creative assembly has introduced it to Western audience and everyone can nerd out.

The rest of that show has fairly wooden directing, so I have to imagine it's the actor for Cao Cao making all his stage business decisions. He has so many moments where he does something in stage business to indicate what's going on in the character's head. For example, there's a great scene where he is eating when someone comes in with bad news. He slams the bowl on the table and overturns it, spraying rice all over the table. But he quickly recovers his composure, and as he gives orders he collects the rice with his chopsticks and scrapes it back into his bowl and continues eating. It's such a great piece of stage business conveying Cao Cao's character. He has a temper and makes stupid mistakes sometimes, but he is serious and intelligent and able and willing to admit mistakes and recover from them as fast as he makes bad decisions while he's angry.

i just watched this scene and i love how he just starts spitting rice all over the place in a huff and then as soon as he hears that chen gong is behind it he immediately just goes "oh that makes sense" and starts chuckling about it. like he was mostly mad that lu bu did something tricky and devious and as soon as he hears evidence that allows him to think "oh, i was right and it was just bad intel" hes right back to being in a good mood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODvBdLMCcO8&t=320s

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jun 17, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

am i missing something about capturing generals? in ~20 fights, some auto-resolved first and then reloaded, i have never captured anyone. i've seen %s as high as 70% and ive even started cheating and reloading before fights to try both rolling manually and by delegating and i dont even know what the "enemy general captured" screen looks like

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Stanley Tucheetos posted:

You've never seen the pop-up that lets you employ, release, or execute? I tend to capture enemy generals fairly regularly. If you are killing non legendaries in the battlefield they just straight up die and won't be captured.

no, they literally always die

maybe ive just been supremely unlucky?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

theres feedback where you challenge to a duel and its says the intent is to kill/wound so i wonder if there was originally a toggle for that

Davincie posted:

for your manual battles, are you killing them after they retreat when the battle is won? That just kills em

not if i can help it. sometimes they just fight until they die and there wasnt much i could do but im usually preoccupied with chasing down the infantry so i can level up my dudes

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

why is liu bei fighting wars with complete mooks? i dont think guan yu, zhang fei and zhou yun are dead but i cant find them anywhere

is there a way to look at another characters family tree or court

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 30, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

sun ce did not die in 200, fine. he's done a great job carving a straight line west across china before cutting up towards chang'an. good work, hes my friend

then he offered to marry his mom to my son cao ang. ok sure. two turns later, he offered to be my vassal? am i being tricked?

McTimmy posted:

The character tab in the family tree menu has a list of everyone and where they are. Most guys tend to get scooped up by the Han if they get the boot.

yeah, was hoping i could see positions and stuff easily like my own family tree

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

golden bubble posted:

The Han faction can't do anything with it's money except for hire characters and pay them fat stacks of cash. I recommend you use the -100 Satisfaction for Han Empire Characters mod, which prevents the Han faction from hording over a hundred characters by the late game.

i cant find this anywhere, do you have a link

edit: i found this - does it work on games that have already started or do i need to restart

edit2: it worked pretty well, though it does weaken the han a fair amount which kinda sucks

i dont think it works like this, guys

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 1, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Zurai posted:

The first doesn't work very well in my experience -- they have terrible accuracy shooting over a rise when they will even fire at all -- and I've never had a trebuchet even approach what archery masters do to the AI except when the AI spazzes out and bunches all of their units into one giant meat ball within my range.

And, again, the stat wasn't "most kills period", it was "most kills per money". Trebs are about half the recruit cost of archery masters. Though I still question that because archer militia are like a quarter of the cost of trebs and still rack up kills.

trebs gently caress up armies without ever getting hit back though. i rarely have to worry about replenishment because im not losing archers in the archer vs archer fight

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is experience understood in this game yet? do generals get more experience for murdering or do they get the same if their personal army does the killing? i presume hunting people down gives more exp than letting them get away

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its all uncontested trash land at the start of the game

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the end game isn't nearly as fun as the start in TK, thats for sure

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

odd question, but i somehow stopped getting the bubbles on the campaign map that say things like "this general needs to allocate a skill point" or "this city has an open slot". i cant figure out if its a bug or a button i pressed. anyone else have this/fix it?

edit: i figured this out just as i posted, the key is N

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont mind the lack of control over piles of infantry, but honestly 29 cavalry should not stop and chill because #30 got poked by a stick while clipping past some dipshit who wasnt even aggroed onto him. same with my loving generals. i told you to go over there xiahou dun, not stop and get stabbed to death by ji militia

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Grizzwold posted:

Having a real annoying bug where sometimes generic leaders will spawn and not have any skill tree. Just a blank tab where it should be. No idea what to do to fix it either, it's probably a mod issue but I have no idea which one could be causing it.

The worst part is I can't check their skills before I hire them so I keep wasting money on useless generals.

this game is weirdly stingy about hero profiles. just tell me what loving level liu bei is and where guan yu is for fuckssake

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah something the TW series has needed for a while is some kind of "uninterruptable" order. Like, hold alt or something when giving an order and it will lock it so that your units won't stop until they reach it, even if it means having to try to break through/flee an engagement that catches them and taking casualties.

yeah, having to click repeatedly to force the issue is really not good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1792571281

I might try this mod. It has governors declaring independence from Han as the game progresses.

did you try this? how was it?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i find that like 25% of the time my cavalry charges at an archer group, collide very mildly and kill like 3 guys, and then the archers just disengage across the entire map while the cavalry does gently caress all. this combined with like, spear infantry running towards and catching up with generals is really frustrating and i wish i knew why this poo poo happened

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was fun but it's still rough around the edges when it comes to the new Han factions so I'm going to wait to see if it gets improved/done better.

And yeah, I'm finding melee cav (on hard battles in records fwiw) to be pretty helpful. The toughest part of using cav is beating off the enemy cav and generals, because they're really hard to disengage from, and melee cav have the edge there. Plus they get the massive missile resist.

Once the enemy cav is gone, melee cav kill archers just fine and infantry getting flank/rear charged still break. I'd take lance militia over sabre militia but once you get sabre cav I really like them. Also, high-tier shock cav seems not worth it. Stuff like Cao Cao's uniques don't kill better than lovely militia against most things, and losing speed for armour is really bad for shock cav who tend to either die or barely take any hits.

One more point for melee cav: commanders tend to be cooler characters than vanguards. Sure you get wet blankets like Yuan Shu and Liu Biao but you also get Cao Cao and Liu Bei.

i dunno, xiahou yuan ranks up just thousands and thousands of kills for me. i made a murder team of him and xu chu and they are completely unstoppable

and yeah i installed the mod right after i asked and ive been ok with it so far. the only thing that annoys me is i dont get to hire guo jia and he always turns out to be a total force of nature as a strategist

MiddleOne posted:

I just had the entire northern part of the map declare a military alliance against me playing as the bandit queen 25 turns into the game. All I did was take a bite out of Yuan Shao and boom, everyone allied. The alliance is Yuan Shao, Liu Bei, Yuan Shu, Zhang Yan and Cao Cao. What in the honest gently caress. :psyduck:

the trick is to form a coalition with yuan shao as soon as you're able and dont let anyone else into the treehouse. gently caress off idiots, hes my friend and nobody else's

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

playing with the han empire mod is kinda funny

edit: honestly i think it might make the game way too easy, though

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

if you marry dong min into your own faction before dong zhuo is killed, do you just inherit the entire thing?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

is there some sort of command i have to push to tell a unit to "do this thing please and dont not do this thing" cause holy gently caress do my guys disengage for no apparent reason really often. i auto-resolve large battles at this point because the sheer volume of babysitting i have to do completely ruins it. i am aware of what guard mode is and i basically dont use it, it makes no difference

happens completely non-stop with cavalry. charge them into one of 17 groups of archers, kill 3 or so, and then they just stand still. i find groups of shock cavalry being shot to death by archers three feet away all the loving time

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jul 14, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

why does the game show capture chances when you're attacking a town? isn't it supposed to be a guaranteed kill on all the generals?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly people underrate the value of generals in records mode as combat units, too. They don't have their unique special moves but they do still get some pretty awesome equipment that gives them crazy useful buffs like Zheng Jiang's "no stamina loss" axes (which is an even bigger deal in Records) or Lu Bu's "I'm goddamn invincible" armour. Even regular generals tend to have extremely good stats on their unit and they're all cavalry so they're going to be very good hammers throughout the entire campaign.

i feel like a lot of them have stuff like charge reflect or negation floating around too. i think records generals are actually substantially better at loving up enemy cavalry vs romance ones

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i feel like every time i get a new named general, no matter what level are and how i equip them, they're never even close to as resilient as the generals i started with. xiahou dun is level 7 and can take a seemingly infinite amount of punishment, but i recently annex liu bei and used the three brothers and both zhang fei guan yu at level 6 took like 60% of their health being jabbed in the butt with spears for two seconds

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 15, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah they're fully loaded

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its nice to be able to see the family trees of other factions, thats a really good change. still doesnt really help you troubleshoot "why are none of these people eligible for marriage" though

the "arrange marriage" button is neat but lol that it just picks what seems to be a random generic low level general with no options

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 16, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Carver posted:

this one is still the worst. Please have mercy on my Wenruo CA.

i feel like they probably decided that cao cao has the largest number of cool/notable people in reality of the era and that they'd have to cut some out, because otherwise he'd just have like 15 generals. unfortunately this means cao cao has a ton of champions and sentinels (many of whom just dont show up in lots of games, or basically dont exist like yue jin) and others like yu jin and guo jia have to be generally recruitable. does xun you even show up in the game? I've never seen him

golden bubble posted:

He should definitely be recruited in a Zheng Jiang campaign. The Brilliant trait is really good.

i had one campaign where guo jia just didnt show up and it sucked because he has three blue traits, all of which are really strong. hes gotta be the strongest non-unique portrait strategist in the game by a mile

edit: as someone who is somewhat but not entirely familiar with the time period, im actually kind of surprised at how many important people are seem to have existed and been recorded entirely as "guy that repeatedly gives a lord really good advice". did people with some but not extreme means raise their children to be "generally literate and smart" in the hopes that they could attach themselves to some warlord later in life?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 17, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah lol i havent had a game come close to ending whenever i can get the emperor units

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you could make emperor a countdown and you could make the ai more confrontational and less "run to the middle of his territory and take some lovely farmland and run away". the forced march changes are really, really nice

it feels like the game rewards you for having few armies for as long as possible and then you hit emperor and suddenly you need 3x as many because youre now being swarmed from the inside

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

man, i absolutely hated the gunpowder tw games. i’m honestly kinda shocked to hear they were popular

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

how were the siege mechanics better in the original rome than this one? at least in that if you got solider on the walls they fought the bad guys rather than running downstairs, forgetting how to path to the wall, and dying

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i realize now i dont think ive ever had the AI pull off a real siege because i always get an army there in time to save the city

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ive finished like five games now and i dont think ive ever seen sima yi or zhuge liang. not just for me, but at all. why on earth did they decide characters like this should be random

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1812159400&searchtext=

This mod is adding unique portraits and backgrounds for important characters who are currently generic. Only four people so far but they're nice portraits and fit the base game instead of being all anime.

E: also who decided Xun Yu would be Zheng Jiang's starter enemy? That's dumb.

wow, those look really really good

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

quote:

Sima Yi (the event also no longer requires ownership of Wudu capital)

oh, no way. i guess that makes sense why that dude never exists. who the gently caress would expand as cao cao to the northwest?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 7, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

on the other hand, for cao cao rice gives a faction-wide 5-15% replenishment buff and jianye is like the best commandery in the game

and poyang has a weapon craftsman. and sun ce needs to be kept in check!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

McTimmy posted:

A lot of the best commanderies are in the south.

i wonder if they should just have higher starting populations or population growth for the northern ones. it feels a bit weird for it to take like 25 before population bonuses really start kicking in

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah, thats my point - the south commanderies in the game are really strong because the northern ones, the ones that would be more developed and populous, also have to start at square one in the game

thats a really cool map though, i was looking for something like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

thats also a really cool map, thank you!