Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I played a bunch of Rome 1 a couple years ago and still love it, so I guess I'm excited about the remaster? It really looks like Rome 1, huh. This is maybe a weird first take, but hopefully the minimap border colors are still changeable via a text file. I always set each empire's border to match their main province color so the spidery lines around all of the provinces would disappear. Hated the default look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I haven't played as much 3K, but in Warhammer the key to long lasting diplomatic relationships seems to be having the same enemies. When I meet someone I want to become allies with I'll start by seeing if they'd be willing to trade my joining their wars in exchange for treaties, and then even if I can't get any extra treaties for it I'll join their wars anyway for the passive relations bonus. Being consistent throughout the game and not signing any treaties with their enemies is also important, and then you can sack the shared enemy's cities and raid them for big temporary relations bumps that can get you over the hump to getting a real treaty.

From what I've played 3K seems messier because close allies can get insta-turned against you when the realm split happens, but I was still keeping strong allies through the game until then.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Blooming Brilliant posted:

The most nuance I've found with Warhammer 2 diplomacy is beating up Greenskins so the Dwarves will be your BFF's, no matter what.

Made my Clan Eshin campaign a cakewalk :v:

Yeah Turncoat Vampires is also a lot of fun. You used to be able to cheese relations really easily by just chaining agent actions against a random settlement (like sending one agent to harass Norsca and one down to Grimgor to get the humans and dwarfs on your side), but I think they nerfed the long term effects of agent actions at some point.

Something I've started doing that I never used to do is signing full military alliances with factions if I really want to be bros with them. It can gently caress you up if they declare war on someone you have an alliance / non-aggression pact with since you'll be forced to break your treaties with one or the other, but you can also drag them into any wars you declare so you can declare war on a bunch of small factions on the other side of the map, call them into all of the wars, and get a passive relationship boost for each one. If you only have a defensive alliance the AI faction sometimes becomes very resistant to joining any new wars, and after your existing shared wars get resolved they'll just stay at peace and your relations will deteriorate until they start breaking your existing treaties.

You can start getting diplo value on turn 1-10 just by offering to join the AI's wars against whatever piddly starting enemy they have (like the generic vampires above Mannfred & Vlad/Isabella). Those guys shouldn't ever amount to anything or live long enough to harass you, so it's basically free positive relations.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

i dunno rome total war had incendiary battle pigs

"When the enemy fights nude, bring hot hogs" - Herodotus

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I definitely miss auto-replen in RTW. The problem is really with auto-resolve: you can't hold those expensive units back in auto-resolve so they get chipped down quick even when you're just auto-resolving clear wins. So I end up fighting more uncompetitive battles manually, which makes the campaign take forever. It really just ends up being another reason for me to not recruit high end units.

Edit: Getting towards the end of Three Kingdoms 2010, and it can't be overstated how much of my desire for TK games comes from wanting to fix the timeline so so many cool people don't die for Liu Bei. Pang Tong deserved better. :(

Also one thing CA didn't really capture about these battles is how many of them were multi-day affairs that ended when one side ran out of supplies or had their supplies captured or destroyed. Can't blame them since Total War doesn't really have a way to show prolonged stalemate-type battles, but it might be neat if there were supply points or trains for armies that showed up behind the starting area and could be raided to cause morale penalties.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 4, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Rome 2 runs a lot better for me than on release, but still worse than Three Kingdoms / Warhammer 2 for whatever reason. I should go back to it again now that I've played 1 Remastered and have that fresh in my mind. I remember just generally finding the whole interface kind of clunky, from settlement development to family management.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
It wasn't free from CA's perspective. Epic paid them for the giveaway and then it went back to $50.

quote:

So now that’s out the way, here’s a little more backstory. Epic approached us and asked if TROY could be an Epic exclusive, as part of a commercial deal. That’s not to say that we immediately signed on the dotted line, or that money was the only reason that we did this (it’s not!). It was a difficult decision, and you can be assured that there were a lot of differing opinions in the studio, and a lot of discussions about it – which largely focussed on what it would mean for you, the players.

However, ultimately we considered two things. First we’re at a time when we’re looking to invest more into the ongoing development of Total War this felt like an opportunity to really move the franchise forward by getting it in front of more people. Secondly, Epic were paying for our players to have our latest release free on day one. For Total War’s 20th birthday, that felt like an opportunity too good to pass up.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Didn't CA say they were going to make another Three Kingdoms game with more of a fantasy focus or did I dream that?

3K is my favorite historical title and I completely get why it has to be this way, but it is funny to me that they never added a three kingdoms start. For as many 3K-themed strategy games as there have been over the years, no one has managed to design a game with compelling three way mechanics where one side doesn't just immediately roll the others.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wouldn't mind if battles were quicker and units routed more easily. It could make cavalry play more rewarding and give you a reason to keep your infantry in mutually supporting positions to keep from getting flanked. Really the bigger problem is it would emphasize the loading times getting into and out of battle.

Re: Pharaoh, I'm not jumping for joy but I have to pay respect to any game set in Egypt that doesn't put in in the Roman occupation. So sick of the Antony and Cleopatra stuff at this point.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I still think you could make a good strategy game out of the actual three kingdoms part, but it's definitely not easy (none of the actual romance of the three kingdoms games have really done it, although they usually include post-red cliffs start dates just to have em). Historically a badly planned campaign could set someone back for years and when two sides worked together they were never certain they could actually rely on the other partner. The supply and reinforcement systems in TW3K don't really punish you like that, and there's no reason you even need to concentrate your armies for one "campaign" instead of just spreading them out along the border and pressing everywhere at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The campaign structure in this sounds cool and I'm excited to buy it when it goes half off. Troy was honestly a little less interesting to me but it had the advantage of them getting Tim Sweeney to buy it for me.