Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

kalensc posted:

How can I poke Quickpull via the Chess.com app? They are down to 3~ hours in both of our matches.

Sorry, I cleared the notifications and then forgot to take my moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Quickpull posted:

Sorry, I cleared the notifications and then forgot to take my moves.

Ah, no worries! Glad it auto-activated the vacation mode rather than DQ you.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/magnus-carlsen-invitational-2020/11/1/1

Because bad things happen to everyone: Carlsen just kinda randomly plays some garbage and loses a piece on move 7.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Hand Knit posted:

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/magnus-carlsen-invitational-2020/11/1/1

Because bad things happen to everyone: Carlsen just kinda randomly plays some garbage and loses a piece on move 7.

Huh. If I didn't know otherwise, I would have believed verything up through turn 10~ was a replay of one of my bungled games.

I wonder if Carlsen thinks his top4 spot is essentially locked in, and is using the game as a chance to practice non-standard stuff or not give away lines he'd like to "save" for the knockouts.

Either way it's funny that this happens hours after this article was published: https://www.espn.com/chess/story/_/id/29097362/magnus-carlsen-gamechanger

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Perhaps it's a data entry error, but the standings already have Nepo up 2-0 will Game 2 just hit move 24.

Carlsen is line 2, Nepo line 6.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

kalensc posted:

Perhaps it's a data entry error
There have been a bunch of issues like that. At the end of today's games it said that Caruana had already won two games tomorrow. It was later fixed.

Tomorrow is interesting since the seeding is important because no one wants to lose money by being paired with Magnus in the semis.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

whos the best goon

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Tournament Director for the Stay At Home Cup is a giant idiot.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

algebra testes posted:

The Tournament Director for the Stay At Home Cup is a giant idiot.

Ain’t it the truth.

I’m pretty sure OP is the least bad at chess.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

anyone watching the final? theyre tied 1-1 right now

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

fart simpson posted:

anyone watching the final? theyre tied 1-1 right now

Bb4!!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Congratulations to Magnus Carlsen for winning the Magnus Carlsen Presents the Magnus Carlsen Award

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Hand Knit posted:

Congratulations to Magnus Carlsen for winning the Magnus Carlsen Presents the Magnus Carlsen Award

Good on him for organizing and paying everyone though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i was hoping nakamura would win that final

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

It helps that the commentary has been so punchy. One Carlsen blunder was described as “a howler of unbelievable proportions” by the Russian grandmaster Peter Svidler – a comment matched by the English international master Lawrence Trent, who suggested Ding might be a “choker”. On the Spanish broadcast, meanwhile, Pepe Cuenca’s machine-gun delivery made every stunning combination sound like a Lionel Messi golazo.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...MP=share_btn_tw

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Booyah Im finally above average. All these toilet games are paying off

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Does anyone have any info about this endgame

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Control Volume posted:

:smoobles:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Control Volume posted:

hikaru, on his youtube channel, played some weird game where all his pieces were knights and he won. he had some info about it. he claims if you have 3 knights protecting each other in a circle and the king is hanging around them, you basically cant get checkmated?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i guess i mean a triangle

Bad Titty Puker
Nov 3, 2007
Soiled Meat
if you can take three knights and place them on a standard chessboard so they all protect each other I will give you a coupon for eight hamburgers

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Bad Titty Puker posted:

if you can take three knights and place them on a standard chessboard so they all protect each other I will give you a coupon for eight hamburgers

I am not familiar with what Hikaru is talking about but it sounds to me like the idea is to have two knights defending each other, and a third moves back and forth from the protection of one to the other, indefinitely.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

grah posted:

I am not familiar with what Hikaru is talking about but it sounds to me like the idea is to have two knights defending each other, and a third moves back and forth from the protection of one to the other, indefinitely.

Yeah something like this. I didn’t really understand how it worked but I think he knows more about chess that I do

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Playing with it on a board it seems like you can just have 3 knights kind of 'follow' each other in a circle.

So like Nbd4 N2b3 Nfd2 N4f3 etc forever

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

grah posted:

Playing with it on a board it seems like you can just have 3 knights kind of 'follow' each other in a circle.

So like Nbd4 N2b3 Nfd2 N4f3 etc forever

I'd still take black here.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Doctor Malaver posted:

I'd still take black here.

don't be so materialistic, white clearly has a more active king and much better development.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

grah posted:

don't be so materialistic, white clearly has a more active king and much better development.

this.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Control Volume posted:

anyway back to the question, stockfish says black's winning here

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

Yeah well I bet Alpha Zero has something to say about that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fart simpson posted:

black has 10 knights and white only has 9, and it's black's move, so I think stockfish might be on to something

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

vyelkin posted:

black has 10 knights and white only has 9, and it's black's move, so I think stockfish might be on to something

Better sure, but winning seems unlikely. If white can trade down to a bare king against a king and 2 knights it's still a draw.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i let it run up to depth 37 and black's lead dropped to -0.6 or something so its probably a draw

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im using self-deprecation to make myself not care about rating, so I hype myself with thoughts like "your rating is overinflated anyways, just go lose to get it over with you wimp" and then immediately get games like this:

It doesnt make me feel stronger at chess but it sure as hell doesnt make me feel worse lmfao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im bad too and have been playing a lot of halloween gambit blitz games, which leads to games like this which i find funny

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ah, so this is the vaunted "initiative" I hear so much about

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/anishgiri/status/1261253565294817280?s=20

I think the mass death and collapse of the global economy would be worth it if this happened.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

oops

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hand Knit posted:

I think the mass death and collapse of the global economy would be worth it if this happened.
Watching chess without knowing who is playing seems boring as hell to me? Like I'd be curious to see the results but would never watch it? Or is the idea that the players don't know but the viewers do?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

heh, this looks like a lichess daily puzzle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I get the sense that Giri doesn't like Magnus