Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How conservative are Muslims in Malaysia and Indonesia these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Then I guess these sweatshops will be sweating literal bullets by the time the west's through with them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Religion and State REALLY needs to be separated across the Islamic World if said world is to survive our criticisms.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Out of curiosity, why exactly is Singapore so against free speech and press? And what can be done in the future to improve such human rights?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Another thing I'm doing is an email interview with someone from Burma for a college essay next week. Does this list of interview questions seem satisfactory to you guys?

1. How confident are you that Aung Sang Suu Kyi will emerge victorious in the elections this November?
2. Who is running against Aung Sang Suu Kyi and her party in these elections?
3. How heavily has the transitory government in Burma censured the media/free press in recent years? In comparison to the previous decade?
4. Does the influence and international recognition of Aung Sang Suu Kyi appear to overshadow the accomplishments of her colleagues and deputies to you and/or to the Burmese people?
5. Do you believe that both the Burmese people and the government are aware of how important these elections are as a means of gaining international legitimacy and prestige?
6. How unstable is the current road to democracy in regards to these elections? Could the military intervene in said elections and desperately cling onto power?
7. Has Thein Sein done an adequate job at transitioning Burma towards the road to democracy in his tenure?
8. Do you think Aung Sang Suu Kyi and successive governments would be capable of healing sectarian wounds and resolving issues with Burma’s various minority ethnicities?
9. What immediate policies would you believe that Aung Sang Suu Kyi would tackle first, if victorious?
10. Do you think it is possible or necessary for foreign aid to ensure that this transition to democracy runs smoothly?
11. (Bonus Question) Are you more comfortable with the country’s name being Burma or Myanmar?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ReindeerF posted:

Following on from ChronoGamer's excellent post, can I ask what ethnic group, age and education level person you'll be emailing with? Ethnicity and education in particular are going to make a big difference in what you can ask and expect to receive.
Already got Pinoy riot every Sunday at Lucky Plaza!!! </TRS>
A ethnic Burmese colleage of my professor, well dabbled in politics.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Interview recieved!

1. How confident are you (and those around you) that Aung Sang Suu Kyi will emerge victorious in the elections this November?

ASSK may win in her district but her party may win about 30% - 40% of seats at Parliament.
(It is hard to say that she would emerge victorious in the coming election. Vice-chairman of the USDP, current ruling party, and Chairman of Parliament was thrown under house-arrest a couple of days ago as he has been in a very good relation with ASSK.)
2. Who is running against Aung Sang Suu Kyi and her party in these elections?

Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) is the largest party. There are about 90 parties going for election.
3. How heavily has the transitory government in Burma censured the media/ free press in recent years? In comparison, to the previous decade? Do you hope that such censorship will be lessened over time?

We can say that no censorship except for military-related news. Very much improved compared to the previous decade. No, we don’t hope that such censorship will be lessened over time.
4. Does the influence and international recognition of Aung Sang Suu Kyi appear to overshadow the accomplishments of her colleagues and deputies to you and/or to the Burmese people?

Yes, it does.
5. Do you believe that both the Burmese people and the government are aware of how important these elections are as a means of gaining international legitimacy and prestige?

Yes, I do.
6. How unstable is the current road to democracy in regards to these elections? Could the military intervene in said elections and desperately cling onto power? Low likely is this?

Very unstable. It is very likely that military intervenes in elections and desperately cling onto power.

7. Has Thein Sein done an adequate job at transitioning Burma towards the road to democracy in his tenure?

No, he hasn’t done adequately but things get improved, I must say.
8. Do you think Aung Sang Suu Kyi and successive governments would be capable of healing sectarian wounds and resolving issues with Burma’s various minority ethnicities?

I’m not sure that ASSK and successive governments would be capable.

9. What immediate policies would you believe that Aung Sang Suu Kyi would tackle first, if victorious?

She would focus on economics first for getting foreign investment.

10. Do you think it is possible or necessary for foreign aid to ensure that this transition to democracy runs smoothly?

Yes, I do.

11. What are your hopes for the future in Burma generally?

I hope to get economic condition and education system better.

12. (Bonus Question) Are you more comfortable with the country’s name being Burma or Myanmar?

I’m more comfortable with Myanmar but I don’t mind being called Burma.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Positive Optimyst posted:

The quote above and other statement by Thai police show once again - they literally do not know what they are talking about.
It's like their police system is unintentionally trying to audition for CNN reporting positions. :allears:
Is the Thai police force this incompetent because the military would prefer them underfunded?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CeeJee posted:

This should tell you all you need to know about the Thai police: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Diamond_Affair

Basically the Thai Police get a call from Saudi Arabia about a blue diamond stolen and sent to Thailand. The police find the fence, give the Saudis a cheap fake and when the Saudis send a bunch of diplomats to find out what happened they are all murdered in the street 'by Hezbollah'.

There is also the story of a police officer who murdered a tourist and got spared the death sentence because he had previously been crowned Policeman Of The Year.
Are there any other lovely police forces in Southeast Asia?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Diet Crack posted:

Are there any countries in SEA not governed by corruption?
I do wonder how the Philippines and Indonesia will manage to become world-class powers by the end of this century...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Do we have anyone from Indonesia on these forums? I think the Malaysian Archipelagians could get some more deserved airtime here.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Which political parties are secular and/or liberal, which ones are conservative, and which ones are islamist? Furthermore, how large is the threat of an Islamist supremacy and theocracy in the near future?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

wid posted:

There is no political party that could be considered "secular". Then again, political parties in Indonesia is without a specific ideology. There are "nationalists" and "Islamists". But in that sense, any party that is not Islamic fell into nationalist criteria. There is not even right wing or left wing. The left wing was purged in 1965-1966 by Suharto after the coup and the surviving parties were his puppets and they had no ideology except "keep the status quo and Suharto in power". So think of political parties in Indonesia as a group of people vying for power and personnel can easily switch allegiance. So not unlike a high profile political gangs. Hell, most of the members were/are gang bosses because they got the man power to do things.

The threat of Islamist theocracy is real. It is probable but it does not have grassroot support. Indonesia is the largest Muslim country but they are moderates and actually closer to liberal due to 60+ years under Suharto where any extremism was curb-stomped. The surge of Islamic tendencies is still just pockets of minorities and mostly due to recent external influences. The biggest Islamic political party, PKS, managed to became large due to subterfuge where in the earlier times after Suharto's fall they claimed to be more nationalists than Islamists. The other Islamic parties never got any significant power even if they banded together (25% seats in parliament total, max). That sounds like a lot, except all these parties actually have different doctrines of Islam and some are quite moderate. PKS is gradually losing seats and votes when they came out and showed their true colors of being the most Islamic party among the rest. They're still highest among the Islamic parties though but the movement rejecting them is also getting stronger especially among the youth (which is ironic since their surge of growth is also due to youth movement). But the problem is actually not from the senate but executive branches where they managed to install their people. These extremists are slowly but surely introducing more and more retarded laws that is catered to Sharia law. But they had to not use that word since it's poison and would incite more resistance.
Should the Western friends and allies of Indonesia intervene if things get theocratic fast? (If Indonesia has those)

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now HOW are those Burmese election polls and voting going?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What the fuckity gently caress? I would've imagined election fraud steering the ballot towards the Tatmandaw, but never something like this...

COULD Aung Sang Syu Kyi actually become president now?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

It looks alot like those islamist militia factions in Java Wid was talking about.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

A conservative Southeast Asian country is turning into a Boring World Where Dirty Jokes Don't Exist? Well I never! :razz:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I need a cartoon of Judge Dredd Duerte, STAT.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argue posted:

I honestly can't believe the same people who shout "NEVER AGAIN" (re: Marcos and martial law) voted in the guy who literally calls himself a dictator and who said his presidency would be bloody and that he'd hold weekly executions and that he'd shut down congress if they tried to impeach him. Even some of my pretty liberal friends have somehow developed this blind spot for the guy, thinking that he's somehow going to solve all our problems with his tough stance on crime.

This goes without saying but I'm 100% certain he isn't going to be able to keep his promise of solving crime within 6 months, short of declaring martial law or basically turning us into a police state.

Would US intervention be needed, again?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

toasterwarrior posted:

At the tail end of the Spanish colonial period, the most prominent rebel group for independence (the Katipuneros) had been fighting for six years, spurred by weakening Spanish resistance. They officially declared the First Philippine Republic in June 1898.

Unfortunately, the Spanish-American War occurred and concluded in the same year, leading to the independence of Cuba and the transfer of the Philippine Islands to the United States as a colonial territory. The First Philippine Republic lasted for three years after war broke out between it and the United States, whereupon it was dissolved after being defeated in the Philippine-American War/War of the Philippine Insurrection. Obviously, the nature of this war (whether it was a war of conquest or the suppression of rebels) is a major point of contention up to this day.

Fast forward to pre-WW2, where Philippine politicians had been working towards convincing the US to give the country independence for several decades. Public opinion in the heartland had swayed the US government due to the violence of the first war and suppression of rebels down the line, along with the general unprofitability of the Philippines as a colonial holding. In 1935, the Philippine Commonwealth was declared, which was a major step towards Philippine re-independence...until WW2 popped off and the country was conquered by Imperial Japan.

In 1946, after the war and a period of reconstruction with the help of the United States, was when the Philippines was finally declared independent. Now, the Philippines was actually fairly prosperous after 1946 due to exceptional trade ties and history with the "civilized" world; it was only during Marcos' dictatorship did the economy go down the shitter (no points guessing why). Recovery has been extremely slow, though Ramos did manage to shield the Philippines from the 1997 Asian economic crisis while Arroyo and Aquino have been maintaining steady GDP growth in recent years.

In terms of politics, the Philippines has always been a rough place due to the Spanish being exceptionally good at using Catholicism, native societal structures and concepts such as the barangay (village) and utang ng loob (inner debt, sense of shame), and politicking between the noble classes to ensure political dominance for their entire stay. The Americans bolted on democracy to the existing structure, which had a very rough start and very little improvement throughout the decades due to the resilience of the colonial systems, failure to encourage education among voters, and the powers that be.
Yeesh. What would it take to destroy the Spanish model of politics in favor of something more progressive and efficient so that the Philippines can become the World Power they've always dreamed of this century?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argue posted:

There have been a ton of bodies dropping recently. There are photos online and it's pretty disgusting; the bodies are discovered wrapped in, I think sarin wrap, Dexter-style (but not dismembered). Attached is a note saying something along the lines of "don't be like me, I'm a drug pusher". This has probably been going on for a while, even before Duterte became president, and I do have my doubts he's directly involved in these, but it's damning enough that people are now feeling empowered to do this under his banner.
Is this against all forms of drug use or just narcotics. Such a reaction to narcotic rates I can understand in a developing country with high crime on the ten steps of genocide. But smoking, (pot) and/or alcohol? That would take out a large amount of the population wouldn't it? :magical:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Argue posted:

Oh, I don't know what he's after in particular. But there are reports that "thousands" of addicts/pushers/etc have voluntarily surrendered themselves for rehab, to prevent themselves from being killed. I can't speak as to how true it is that there were thousands, nor do I know what the reports' definition is for "addicts/pushers".

Smoking surely isn't on his list, but did you know that this one time, he caught a tourist smoking in his city, and personally forced the guy to swallow the cigarette? Reportedly he did this at gunpoint, but IIRC he denies that part of the story while being proud of the rest of it.
This authoritarian anime villain persona is literally writing itself.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what will this new constitution entail and should the Thais be concerned for their own well-being? Hopefully some more modernization comes out of this/better laws against poachers and traffickers.

(Also) Is the overall future more secure for Thailand if the monarchy were to be abolished or if the crown prince kicked it? Would it be possible for a foreign power to pressure the old king into skipping his first son in the line of succession under pain of heavy export tariffs/trading sanctions? Surely the well-being of the Thai people are of equal/more concern to the King than the whims of his heir, right?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Now why does Rodrigo Duerte have the balls to leave the UN?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Looks like we should be intervening against that president, if I'm not mistaken.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

sincx posted:

How are people in the Philippines reacting to Duterte's sudden rapprochement with China, to the point of suggesting that he'll start a new UN with the PRC?

It makes sense on a realpolitik level for smaller countries to play the US and China against each other, but it really seems like a "always at war with Eurasia vs Eastasia" moment.
Considering that the Philippines has always been quite pro-US since WW2 I would imagine that Duerte grovelling to China could be seen as a massive loving betrayal. Someone should covertly take him out like Mosadegh-style.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CronoGamer posted:

Yes and no. Under the previous president, Aquino, the Philippines took a pretty bold stance in calling out China. Certainly the most outspoken of the other 5 countries disputing China's claim. But it's hard for any country, especially an Asian one, to fight China diplomatically because of the need to access Chinese markets and capital. Arroyo, the president before Aquino, was much cozier with Beijing and even pursued a resource-sharing agreement with China and Vietnam over energy deposits in the SCS before it was shut down by Philippine courts as illegal (it was exclusively located in waters that should belong to the Philippines, and there were accusations that Arroyo was getting kickbacks related to the deal). Duterte needs to balance Philippine nationalism and sovereignty against the need for Chinese investment, so that's why you'll see him trying to mend ties with them on the SCS.

Right, the drug-running lover-driver was the part I was thinking of. When I first read it it sounded like feeble attempts to discredit one of the few people who has spearheaded the calls for accountability in the killings, but reading Rappler and Philstar in following days, most people seemed to have an attitude of "YEAH, thank god you called her out, this bitch has been getting away with it for TOO LONG!" So I wasnt sure if there were some common knowledge/backstory I was missing, or if people are just really quick to hop on Duterte's hatewagon.
That doesn't sound like the soundest idea considering the current state of China's economy. Which is set to implode again pretty soon.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What is going on?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

The King of Thailand is even more hospitalized than usual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yicbvWwQ_MA
Things are about to get interesting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder what's most likely going to go down now...

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

On a BBC article advising tourists to wear muted colors:

How dare the BBC advise people to be respectful, have they no respect??
No Olympics for you!!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Hey, at least he's not John Oliver, who will be black-bagged and fed to the pending-monarch's adorable dog for its next birthday party. :v:
Kidnap John Oliver and Thailand can expect war with the USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This: http://askakorean.blogspot.sg/2016/10/the-irrational-downfall-of-park-geun-hye.html?m=1

• Locked thread