Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Anyone else have their Youtube and Netflix apps just vanish off of Roku?

Not on mine. What model do you have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I want to get streaming boxes for the other rooms of my house. I love my AppleTV and would be very happy to have one in every room, but I'm not happy with them costing like $150 each so I'm looking at Rokus.

Is it true that you have to sign up for a Roku account and give them your credit card information even if you never intend to use it as anything but a Netflix/Plex box? That seems....pretty lovely. EDIT: Actually....I guess it's not that different from Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick, i just overlook those because I already had accounts with them and they already had my credit card number before I bought their devices.

Also, what's up with the reviews that say things like this on Amazon:

quote:

BUYER BEWARE - I've purchased Roku players in August 2012, May 2015, and this new Stream Stick+ in 2018. When I had a problem "activating" my new Streaming Stick+, I was given a number to "Contact Support Toll Free to Activate Instantly". I called the number and was told that since I had already registered 2 other Roku devices, in order to Activate this 3rd device, I would need to pay $70.00 to have a PREMIUM account. I told them that I didn't need nor want a PREMIUM account. I asked the customer service rep, to deactivate the first Roku I purchased in 2012 and then I would only have 2 registered devices on my account. I was told that - (1) Even if I deactivated a previous Roku player or (2 )if I opened a new account, I would still have to pay the $70.00 in order to register my Streaming Stick+ .
So that is how Roku rewards it's returning long-time customer, by charging them a fee of $70.00 to activate more than 2 of their Roku devices! So, in addition to paying for the device itself, you now have to pay an extra $70.00 to use it!!!
I am hoping this review will alert other potential buyers to Roku's new policy of rewarding their repeat customers.
Patti

This sounds like some kind of scam to take advantage of clueless Boomers - but is it being run by Roku themselves or are third party sellers selling hacked Rokus on Amazon?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 24, 2020

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Not gonna lie but if you use the tv a lot the Apple TV is worth it.

If it’s going in a spare room yeah just go with the Roku.

I’m a big fan of the QOL features the ATV have.

I have a roku in my office and have not seen any of those issues in that review.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

That “review” sounds made up as poo poo. I have 3 roku TVs and a Roku stick in my house. Never have even heard of a “premium account” nor have I had any issues with it setting up.

I truly love the Roku set ups and I have since I got our first one back in 2012 (I have had a Roku 3, Roku 4, 4 TCL Roku TVs - one recently got fried by lightning and a Roku stick -after the 6 year old 4 bricked on a boot loop). Never had an issue and the quality/price is outstanding.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

I want to get streaming boxes for the other rooms of my house. I love my AppleTV and would be very happy to have one in every room, but I'm not happy with them costing like $150 each so I'm looking at Rokus.

Is it true that you have to sign up for a Roku account and give them your credit card information even if you never intend to use it as anything but a Netflix/Plex box? That seems....pretty lovely. EDIT: Actually....I guess it's not that different from Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick, i just overlook those because I already had accounts with them and they already had my credit card number before I bought their devices.

I don't think that's true. I just now removed my credit card info from my account and this is all it said.

OldSenileGuy posted:

This sounds like some kind of scam to take advantage of clueless Boomers - but is it being run by Roku themselves or are third party sellers selling hacked Rokus on Amazon?

Yeah that's a scam. They've got a sticky post regarding it on the Roku Reddit page so it must be going around a lot.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

This guy literally googled "roku support", clicked the first ad link that popped up and got routed to a scammer call center in India. It happens a lot.

I feel bad for the dude but c'mon, where are your alarm bells? Also Amazon should be removing that review, it's probably caused lots of people to not buy the product.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Or Amazon is fine with that since Roku is a competitor.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Google's new Android TV stick will be out soonish might be worth waiting as Roku and Amazon still don't deals for HBOMax and Peacock

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
My only bitch about Apple TV is the volume differences between apps is pure garbage. HBO Max volume comes nowhere close to the Apple TV+ shows for example.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

nate fisher posted:

My only bitch about Apple TV is the volume differences between apps is pure garbage. HBO Max volume comes nowhere close to the Apple TV+ shows for example.

My answer to this problem was to turn on "reduce loud sounds". Hulu Live had different audio levels between channels (especially on locals) and whatever Apple is doing for AGC/compression works great. Sure I'm losing dynamic range but who cares, I'm using TV speakers.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheWevel posted:

My answer to this problem was to turn on "reduce loud sounds". Hulu Live had different audio levels between channels (especially on locals) and whatever Apple is doing for AGC/compression works great. Sure I'm losing dynamic range but who cares, I'm using TV speakers.

Wouldn’t that make the volume less for HBO Max? As of right now I have to turn it up to almost 100% to get decent loud audio. I do have have a sound bar + speakers. I know it is not my sound system because I only have to do like 65% to get the same level if the show is on the Apple TV app.

I guess the problem is related to the app, because I see online I am not the only person having this problem. I am switching to Samsung Smart Hub for certain apps (like YouTube 4K), and I am going to move HBO Max over there (and any other app with this problem).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 25, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It reduces loud sounds and brings up quiet sounds to a unified level. Try it and see how it behaves?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

TheWevel posted:

It reduces loud sounds and brings up quiet sounds to a unified level. Try it and see how it behaves?

Roger that. I’ll give it a spin when I get home.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
Have you ever wished you could pay for a streaming device equipped with a camera to charge you per the number of viewers?

Available for pre-order now!

https://xcinex.com/#/

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

TheWevel posted:

Do other companies have better implementations than Vizio? I have a Vizio tv and soundbar and holy hell the up and down volume is miserable. My wife loves to have it on because she hates when music / explosions get louder. So whenever something gets loud and drops back off there is a lag in the volume going back up so if there is dialogue after a dramatic noise (Lord of the Rings and Guardians of the Galaxy, I am looking at you) you miss it. It was problematic with the Nightmare Before Christmas too because Jack would burst into song and then then it's whispers.

Maybe on the blu-rays they should have a version where the music doesn't get louder even though you know, it's how the dramatic effect is created.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Three Olives posted:

Have you ever wished you could pay for a streaming device equipped with a camera to charge you per the number of viewers?

Lol, Disney is totally going to buy this company and rebrand it as the DisneyPlex or something. It is a neat concept to be able to watch new films in theaters in your own home, to be fair. Though, leveraging face detection technology to do so is kinda lol.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Three Olives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyXNmiTIupg

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

The best episode of a great show.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I've got a Roku TCL TV and a standalone Roku 4. When I want to watch a YouTube video I always cast to the Roku 4, as it consistently performs better than casting straight to the TV—especially when it comes to 60fps footage which tends to lag and shutter when casting directly to my TV (or my standalone Chromecast).

Lately I've been getting a really annoying message (coming from the Roku 4) when trying to cast via YouTube: "Do you want to play this video?" saying that it's been asked to play the video from an outside source, aka my phone. It makes me hit OK on my remote to start the video. I never use this remote for anything else and rarely have it on hand, plus I have another almost identical remote for the TV (and can't seem to get the Roku or the TV to detect the other remote). The phone, TV, and Roku are all on the same network.

Is there any way to turn this "feature" off or get around it? Googling that message doesn't bring anything at all up. I can't find an option in the menu and there doesn't seem to be any way to override it via my phone.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Three Olives posted:

What the gently caress is this?

How does Pay-per-Viewer™ work?
When you use the Venue streaming app and pick something to watch, you’ll need to buy tickets for each viewer. You can purchase tickets for everyone or each viewer can buy tickets individually. If Venue detects more people in the room than tickets purchased, content will pause until the ticket count equals viewer count.

What possible reason would someone have to buy this unless it’s stupid cheap?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nitr0 posted:

When you use the Venue streaming app and pick something to watch, you’ll need to buy tickets for each viewer. You can purchase tickets for everyone or each viewer can buy tickets individually. If Venue detects more people in the room than tickets purchased, content will pause until the ticket count equals viewer count.

It's facial recognition tech that enables same-day home viewing of theater releases using the Venue app—like, I'd guess New Mutants is on there (lol), and if you want to watch, you purchase how many ever tickets and if the number of tickets matches the number of faces, the movie will play. Otherwise, if there are more faces than tickets, the movie will pause until the right amount of tickets are purchased. It doesn't charge per viewer if you open the Netflix or Prime Video apps or whatever, lmao.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

Seems to me like perfect chum to get a shitload of money from movie studios and then go bankrupt after you have paid yourselves and your friends massive amounts of money.

Movie Studios: Consumers will loving love this, they get to see first run movies in their homes for a price close to a movie theater and our content will be completely protected even with HDCP cracked, what kind of idiot is going to rip video while their face is being recorded.

Consumers: The gently caress you are going to put a camera on my face while I watch the new Minions movie and you determine how many people are in the room and check to see if I am taking a photo of the screen, what the hell is wrong with you?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

teagone posted:

It's facial recognition tech that enables same-day home viewing of theater releases using the Venue app—like, I'd guess New Mutants is on there (lol), and if you want to watch, you purchase how many ever tickets and if the number of tickets matches the number of faces, the movie will play. Otherwise, if there are more faces than tickets, the movie will pause until the right amount of tickets are purchased. It doesn't charge per viewer if you open the Netflix or Prime Video apps or whatever, lmao.

So it's sorta like the DIVX players, except with Big Brother instead of Mission Impossible self-destructing discs. A solution in search of a problem.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone here use vidgo? How is it for HD streaming?

https://www.vidgo.com/#english%7C1

I'm considering it for its sports channels / NFL redzone.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Youtube TV just added NFL Network to the base package. And a new Sports+ package for 11/mo that has Redzone and some other sport channels. Still no NHL Network.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

phosdex posted:

Youtube TV just added NFL Network to the base package. And a new Sports+ package for 11/mo that has Redzone and some other sport channels. Still no NHL Network.

That will be sweet for the whole week the NFL gets to play before everyone gets covid.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you need redzone just get sling with the base that supports it (I think Blue plus sports?).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
A new OTA channel appeared for me today

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

A new OTA channel appeared for me today

Seriously? Someone was like, what if we took everything people liked about podcasts and made it terrible?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If they're going to do that, they should do what VPN did and video the podcasts (not every episode, but special ones are always good). Some of them were great fun, and the video really added to it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Three Olives posted:

Seriously? Someone was like, what if we took everything people liked about podcasts and made it terrible?

I just turned the TV on and caught a few minutes of the Sporkful, apparently the company that owns Stitcher is based in Cincinnati (where I live), so it might be a trial run.

I was expecting to find a pair of WGN feeds, since they've been advertised on some channels throughout August.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Need some help. My dad just got YoutubeTV about a month ago. No issues with it until tonight.

He was watching the St. Louis Cardinals play on Fox Sports Midwest. Suddenly, the game exited out and Fox Sports Midwest was no longer on his tv listings.

He checked around and his home area has been switched to Paducah, KY which is about 4 hours away from where he is at. His previous home area was Terre Haute, IN which is an hour away.

He was in the app and said that he cannot update his home area.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
nm

wormil fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 5, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

He was in the app and said that he cannot update his home area.

As far as I know that's the only way to do it. I'm guessing he could try from the web interface.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

LastInLine posted:

As far as I know that's the only way to do it. I'm guessing he could try from the web interface.

Well, my dad’s YTTV switched back to its regular area. It must have been the ISP.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
When do the rest of those Viacom YTTV channels show up? I thought it was supposed to be by the end of August.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Minidust posted:

When do the rest of those Viacom YTTV channels show up? I thought it was supposed to be by the end of August.

Did the price hike kick in yet? Because that would be extra hilarious if it did but the channels aren't there yet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did the price hike kick in yet? Because that would be extra hilarious if it did but the channels aren't there yet.

The price hike definitely kicked in, I was looking at my GPay history just yesterday.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Man, if I could make one change to Pluto TV, it would be to remove all of the right wing nut job channels. Or at least remove all of the loving commercials for them. Those America's Voice commercials are practically Trump campaign ads. Barf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GI_Clutch posted:

Man, if I could make one change to Pluto TV, it would be to remove all of the right wing nut job channels. Or at least remove all of the loving commercials for them. Those America's Voice commercials are practically Trump campaign ads. Barf.

Last year the commercial breaks were non-stop propaganda against healthcare. Now they're rolling white supremacist trash into their own channels and advertising them everywhere.

gently caress Pluto.