Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mouse Cadet posted:

I believe the Spectrum app is still available on the Samsung TVs like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-55-class-7-series-led-4k-uhd-smart-tizen-tv/6401735.p?skuId=6401735

That may be my best (and only) option.

Yeah but man I hate to go for the lowest quality TV just to solve a temporary problem. Seriously spectrum will let you pause. Do that and get Youtube TV and you won't send any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Please grab the extinguisher

Melman v2

Yeah with the Roku dispute the only tv-boxes the Spectrum App is available on are Apple TV and... XBox One?

Is this because Apple and Microsoft are the only ones not dicking around with fees?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

More like Apple and Microsoft are the two companies Spectrum canít boss around.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

FCKGW posted:

Or Apple/Microsoft are easy because they may not care about all the data sharing bits that Roku probably does, since they need to sell your info/ads to stay afloat?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Obviously we're all speculating, but yeah, this is Roku's entire business, while for Apple and Microsoft the set top box is just one medium-stakes head of a hydra.

The United States
Jul 18, 2004

Please grab the extinguisher

Melman v2

FCKGW posted:

Wait Roku is the number one streaming box and smart tv platform in america, far beyond Apple or Microsoft, and Spectrum is the one bossing them around?

Maneki Neko posted:

Or Apple/Microsoft are easy because they may not care about all the data sharing bits that Roku probably does, since they need to sell your info/ads to stay afloat?
Wait, this is about the Spectrum app, so what would Roku's data sharing have to do with the Spectrum app available on XBox and Apple TV?

Are you saying that Roku actually has stricter data collection/telemetry restrictions than either Apple or Microsoft and that's what's causing the problems?

Also given how cable tv apps are completely server-side (you have to login with a cable account and they automatically have data on everything you watch because you are requesting it from their servers) I'm not sure what data collection/telemetry concerns there could be.

Well maybe Spectrum wants info on your Spectrum/Xbox/Apple account in order to tie it with your cable account and that's the issue?

The United States fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 19, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012
jokes

It is sometimes cheaper to simply buy the TV show rather than pay for cable, if youíre buying cable solely for a handful of shows. On my AppleTV I bought the complete series of the office and parks and Rec for like $20 each so I could avoid buying peacock. I also buy the season pass to Rick and Morty and watch them as theyíre released.

Plus itís on-demand and you donít watch commercials, which somehow frustrates old people (???)

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Back when I first moved in with my then-girlfriend I used to do that. I was watching like 3 shows so I've got this odd handful of Mad Men and Community episodes associated with my Google account

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Hello chiicagooo!

Oh, wait, is that a GameStop employee in the back? Hey, you, give me a refund. No, I don't care if it was my fault, just - look, am I the one with the microphone or not? REFUND, biyotch!

Similarly I convinced my wife to dump Netflix since we only watched The Office and New Girl on it. The Office is on so much that you can DVR the entire series within 3 weeks on just about any linear service, and I bought New Girl on iTunes for $20. I mean DVR is a slight tradeoff in usability but it definitely wasn't worth an extra ~$15/month for me.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The United States posted:

Wait Roku is the number one streaming box and smart tv platform in america, far beyond Apple or Microsoft, and Spectrum is the one bossing them around?

I meant strictly by market cap and who can afford the more expensive lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The United States posted:

Wait, this is about the Spectrum app, so what would Roku's data sharing have to do with the Spectrum app available on XBox and Apple TV?

Are you saying that Roku actually has stricter data collection/telemetry restrictions than either Apple or Microsoft and that's what's causing the problems?

Also given how cable tv apps are completely server-side (you have to login with a cable account and they automatically have data on everything you watch because you are requesting it from their servers) I'm not sure what data collection/telemetry concerns there could be.

Well maybe Spectrum wants info on your Spectrum/Xbox/Apple account in order to tie it with your cable account and that's the issue?

I think it's the exact opposite.

Roku wants the data and Spectrum won't give it to them.