Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Listerine posted:

After having my cable bill jump for the second time since Covid started, I was looking to switch over to a live streaming TV service and was looking at Hulu until I found this thread and read the past few pages. I'm using an LG CX but I had a couple quick questions.

It seems like Youtube TV might be a better choice for me channels-wise, although I see that Hulu added HDR in the past month or two; I'm not springing for 4k, but does the regular YTTV support HDR, 5.1, etc?
Regular YTTV support 5.1 but not HDR. I'm not even sure the 4k supports HDR but I could be wrong. Hulu added HDR in the past month, but they didn't add it to their Live TV option, it's only available on basically their originals and a handful of movies and even that is extremely limited. YTTV is your better option but also don't get the 4k add-on.

quote:

The Youtube TV FAQ page says that I get 6 accounts to share with members of my household. Does that mean everyone has to be at the same address? I'm in CA, can I give my parents on the east coast an account so they can watch TV when they're at their vacation home? Is Youtube checking to the geographical location of the streams?
This is tied to your "google family" and as such has a few things you definitely need to be aware of. The family accounts are all their own personal google accounts which is good. To setup a google family you need a "shared payment method" which means you'll basically end up with a credit card on file that anyone in the group can just use w/o having to get clearance.

As for geographical location. I live in SoCal with family in CO. They are able to use the YTTV for 30 days without needing to "login from home location." Basically they VPN in to a location near me, watch a couple minutes online and then they have 30 days w/o issues again.

Hulu uses "profiles" on your account. They absolutely will lock your out of the profile all together if you aren't logging in from a local geofenced IP. No 30 day wait, nothing, just locked straight out. However, this lockout is not a problem on accounts without Live TV if you're looking to share.

quote:

I know nothing about Nvidia Shield, chromecast, FireTV, etc as I've always just watched cable straight to my TV. Is there any reason for me to look into any other devices? Like what do these products do that would be an improvement over just opening the app on my LG TV?
The only time you want to consider one of these is if you're not happy with your TV interface or TV app. The cadilac of external boxes is the nvidia shield. I absolutely recommend the 2019 version for the AI upscaling alone which is very good. The more expensive version also comes with a built in plex server and external storage support that the tube does not. It also has built in chromecast capabilities. The drawback is with cadilac capabilities comes cadilac prices. You're going to pay about $100 more than any of the other boxes, apple tv excluded. Consider the apple tv if you're in the apple ecosystem but also I really really really like my nvidia shield. I use a chromecast with google tv for my bedroom tv and it's very good for the price, especially since it now has a remote but if you have the money, it's better to look at the shield. FireTV is fine but unless you're heavy in alexa, at this point I wouldn't recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My dad is in Central Ca and I’m in SoCal and YTTV geofenced us.

I can still use the YouTube log in for all the apps though so not all is lost.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Listerine posted:

I know nothing about Nvidia Shield, chromecast, FireTV, etc as I've always just watched cable straight to my TV. Is there any reason for me to look into any other devices? Like what do these products do that would be an improvement over just opening the app on my LG TV?

The LG CX has great apps and a good interface (love the wiimote). The only negative is a few apps are missing, but if you are not missing them this is not a negative. So you don’t need a box.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Looks like NBC and YouTube TV are fighting. The NBC stations have a scroll across their channels to go to a website to tell YTTV how awful they are.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

jabro posted:

Looks like NBC and YouTube TV are fighting. The NBC stations have a scroll across their channels to go to a website to tell YTTV how awful they are.

Yeah, I noticed that tonight too. gently caress 'em. I hope google lets them walk. Hell, they don't even have hockey this season.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Not to double post but Google/Youtube responded to NBC/Comcast.

https://blog.youtube/news-and-events/youtube-tv-and-nbc-programming-update/

quote:

If NBCU offers us equitable terms, we’ll renew our agreement with them. However, if we are unable to reach a deal by Thursday, the NBCU lineup of channels will no longer be available on YouTube TV and we will decrease our monthly price by $10, from $64.99 to $54.99 (while this content remains off our platform).

I have never rooted for a loss a channels so much in my lifetime.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently, Comcast is demanding YouTube TV bundle peacock. I guess that's one way to try to increase subscriber numbers of your dying streaming service.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Peacock suppose to have Sam Esmail's BSG, but I am starting to believe we will never see it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’ll take the $10 off a month.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

they already give out peacock for free to xfinity subscribers but I guess they need to goose up their numbers still

You'd think during the Olympics they could really flex the power of peacock and their umbrella of content but instead peacock coverage sucked and it continues to be that one service you need if you want The Office.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WhyteRyce posted:

they already give out peacock for free to xfinity subscribers but I guess they need to goose up their numbers still

You'd think during the Olympics they could really flex the power of peacock and their umbrella of content but instead peacock coverage sucked and it continues to be that one service you need if you want The Office.

I can’t believe how difficult NBC made it to watch the Olympics.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Normally we watch the opening ceremony. I didn’t bother to record it because I forgot but figured we could just open Peacock and start watching. But stupid me, the ceremony was in progress on live tv so I had to wait until next day to watch from the beginning

At least all those unsolved mysteries episodes are cool

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If peacock would do next day streaming for all NBCU properties, I would be all in for a ad free sub, but they don't. Even Resident Alien was on like a month delay. Others don't show up at all

I was hoping it was just a streaming rights thing and new stuff would start going straight there, but NOOPE. For example SurrealEstate. Not there. Doubt the Chucky series would show up either.

I just want to watch stuff ad free in higher quality than what cable/linear cable streaming can do. I am willing to subscribe to a reasonably priced service to do so, but if you are going to make that difficult I'll just either wait for stuff to show up on the services I do have, buy seasons individually, or just move on to something else.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009

jabro posted:

I’ll take the $10 off a month.

I guess the only broadcast I would miss would be Sunday night football, but yeah I would take that $10 off too.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

bull3964 posted:

If peacock would do next day streaming for all NBCU properties, I would be all in for a ad free sub, but they don't. Even Resident Alien was on like a month delay. Others don't show up at all

I was hoping it was just a streaming rights thing and new stuff would start going straight there, but NOOPE. For example SurrealEstate. Not there. Doubt the Chucky series would show up either.

I just want to watch stuff ad free in higher quality than what cable/linear cable streaming can do. I am willing to subscribe to a reasonably priced service to do so, but if you are going to make that difficult I'll just either wait for stuff to show up on the services I do have, buy seasons individually, or just move on to something else.
I guess local broacast rights are just reeeeeeally entrenched in the old affiliate economy. Like it would make so much sense for something like the Thanksgiving parade to be live on Peacock, but with the way the Olypmics were handled I just assume that's not gonna be the case.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't even care about local broadcast at that point. Give me Syfy and USA programming a day later. It feels like this should be a no brainer at this point.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

frosteh posted:

I guess the only broadcast I would miss would be Sunday night football, but yeah I would take that $10 off too.

You can watch it on the NFL mobile app I believe.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
When I cancel my cable TV, what would be the smartest way to do this that saves my time? Can I just walk into the Spectrum store with the set top box and remote control or should I be calling in or what?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Listerine posted:

When I cancel my cable TV, what would be the smartest way to do this that saves my time? Can I just walk into the Spectrum store with the set top box and remote control or should I be calling in or what?

Just go return your equipment and do it there since you'll have to do that anyway

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

YTTV and NBC have agreed on a "short extension" i.e. NBC is finding some way to salvage their dignity after getting peacock shoved back in their face

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
NBC is moving their content to a streaming service and wondering why cable providers don't want to pay the same price to carry, well nothing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

NBC is moving their content to a streaming service and wondering why cable providers don't want to pay the same price to carry, well nothing.

Does USA have good originals anymore

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

WhyteRyce posted:

I assumed that ended with Mr. Robot.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

WhyteRyce posted:

The Chucky series is coming up soon! Shared with SyFy though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like NBC and YTTV have reached a full deal so... whatever.

While I like YTTV's live streaming better than Hulu's, man I loving love's Hulu's graphic design so much.

It's just so pretty and sleek and their algorithm and collections just seem nice and relevant.

Not so much the website, but the app on my Roku TV is just so pretty.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I actually hate the Hulu GUI it’s like someone fired up a PlayStation 3 and thought that was the pinnacle

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

WhyteRyce posted:

I actually hate the Hulu GUI it’s like someone fired up a PlayStation 3 and thought that was the pinnacle

Huh. Mine seems nice and well designed. I find their thumbnails to be well thought out and backgrounds nice and non-intrusive. The colors, my crappy phone pics aside, are nice and lush too.

edit: some non-phone pics

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 3, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I’ve got some minor issues with it but the Hulu/Hulu Live ui is miles beyond anything else I use. It’s really nice and minimal.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Part of my annoyance is how Hulu tries to just blend Live TV, DVR, and VOD into a single library/view. It's a feature not a bug, but to me it feels like I'm doing way too many clicks to get to what I want. Opening the app, going to a live game for one of my subscribed teams and starting at the beginning of the recording seemed like an annoying amount of clicks compared to YTTV. Granted, YTTV is just Live TV so it's not having to juggle VOD stuff. I didn't like how it handled live TV and the TV guide either but it's been awhile and I don't recall the specifics.

Also it was sluggish. Not Motorola cable box sluggish but something is choking my PS3 in the background that that laptop HDD is still catching up sluggish. It made having to do things like switching users or trying to hurry to find what I'm looking for a pain. This was a Shield too, which maybe they didn't bother to optimize for or put much work in to. But that's my other problem with it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah I can't speak to that, I use YTTV for Live TV (and the guide is pretty straightforward, no non-sense) and Hulu just as a supplemental sub so I don't encounter all of that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Decided to try out Fubo.tv this nfl season, Fubo has a multi-channel view in their AppleTV app. It's pretty cool.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
How are Sling and Philo? I had Google for Internet/TV but now they only do Internet, and those two are much cheaper. Are they cheaper because they're worse or what?

Edit: I'm currently trying out YTTV currently (as of 5 minutes ago)

pik_d fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Oct 3, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sling is the cheapest but you certainly feel every penny pinched. I gave up 5 minutes into my trial when I couldn’t pause a live NBA game on TNT

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

phosdex posted:

Decided to try out Fubo.tv this nfl season, Fubo has a multi-channel view in their AppleTV app. It's pretty cool.

Oh poo poo I might have to check this out. It’s the one thing I can’t stand not having with the other services and I can’t quite figure out why they aren’t doing it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

All the Fox NFL games are 4K on Fubo as well.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

pik_d posted:

How are Sling and Philo? I had Google for Internet/TV but now they only do Internet, and those two are much cheaper. Are they cheaper because they're worse or what?

Edit: I'm currently trying out YTTV currently (as of 5 minutes ago)
Philo absolutely feels like a downgrade coming from YTTV, so it really comes down to whether you feel that's worth the ~$40/month discount. There's a general jankiness there (I always seem to be met by an old "media playback failed" type of message when I launch the app on Apple TV) and it feels less slick than the more expensive options (no "tray" to view recent channels, no background playback when you go back to the guide, just a cold stop while you're browsing). Ads for a lot of channels can't be skipped if you've paused during the broadcast.

On the plus side, Philo secretly has the best DVR in the game (unlimited recordings for 1 year!), and it doesn't have any of that Sling nonsense where channels can't be paused (absolute dealbreaker IMO). So if you genuinely don't care about sports or local channels it's a fantastic value well worth considering.

My reccomendation for YTTV is always that it's way expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think it's the only service with absolutely no playback restrictions on commercials (outside of VOD stuff that hasn't been formally "saved" to DVR).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Mods please change title to "Cable 2"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Couldn’t get “Cable With Buffering” to catch on, eh?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

FCKGW posted:

Couldn’t get “Cable With Buffering” to catch on, eh?

It doesn't really buffer much anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

WhyteRyce posted:

Sling is the cheapest but you certainly feel every penny pinched. I gave up 5 minutes into my trial when I couldn’t pause a live NBA game on TNT

Minidust posted:

Philo absolutely feels like a downgrade coming from YTTV, so it really comes down to whether you feel that's worth the ~$40/month discount. There's a general jankiness there (I always seem to be met by an old "media playback failed" type of message when I launch the app on Apple TV) and it feels less slick than the more expensive options (no "tray" to view recent channels, no background playback when you go back to the guide, just a cold stop while you're browsing). Ads for a lot of channels can't be skipped if you've paused during the broadcast.

On the plus side, Philo secretly has the best DVR in the game (unlimited recordings for 1 year!), and it doesn't have any of that Sling nonsense where channels can't be paused (absolute dealbreaker IMO). So if you genuinely don't care about sports or local channels it's a fantastic value well worth considering.

My reccomendation for YTTV is always that it's way expensive, but you get what you pay for. I think it's the only service with absolutely no playback restrictions on commercials (outside of VOD stuff that hasn't been formally "saved" to DVR).

Thanks, I'll probably just stick with YTTV for now then