Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Every issue I've had with my Roku devices ends up being the app's fault. It could be argued that is an issue with Roku but Hulu is lovely on any device so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My issue with Roku is they have long standing bugs associated with HDMI handshakes to establish the proper black level and there's no way to override and they refuse to fix them.

There are quite a number of TVs where a Roku will choose a black level that causes the output to be either washed out or too dim, requiring you to change the black level of the TV's input manually to compensate. However, that becomes a major PITA if you are using a receiver that aggregates your connections to one HDMI input on the TV since the Roku will be the black sheep with incorrect output.

If I could tell the drat thing to stop using RGB Full and instead use Limited, I would find their boxes a lot more useful. (To be fair, the FireTV has the same issue.)

I would also find them insanely more useful if you could tell them to output native 24fps when available.

These are two things that people have been pleading with Roku to deliver for years and they continue to ignore it.

I have zero issues with Hulu on my TVs internal app or with Shield or Chromecast.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I didn't think I'd use Siri on the Apple TV at all, but with so many streaming apps, being able to say, "Show me The West Wing" and having it come back with any app that streams it has been wonderful. I'm sure other boxes have this too, just saying that I love that I don't really have to deal much with how lovely the Hulu app is, because I bypass most of the UI.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Bull: I presume this Roku issue happens on your 2016 LG OLED, and therefore likely to be the same ok my 2015, then? Might cross it off the 'possible purchase' list if so as it'll eventually run through a receiver.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh one other funny thing about Comcast. So like I said I got the local only stations however I noticed that in my Daughter's room and also in my bedroom I have all of the channels excluding HBO and the like. I'm sure they'll figure it out and honestly it's just annoying because I don't want my daughter to get used to it and then only have 10 channels but still, thanks for the free upgrade you incompetents?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Bull: I presume this Roku issue happens on your 2016 LG OLED, and therefore likely to be the same ok my 2015, then? Might cross it off the 'possible purchase' list if so as it'll eventually run through a receiver.

Yeah, it happens with my LG C6.

To be fair, I don't know if the 4k units suffer from the same issues as I don't even know if RGB Full is valid for HDMI from a spec standpoint for 4k. I only have a Roku Stick and a second gen Roku 2(the one with the same hardware as the Roku 3.)

I do know the FireTV Stick I have suffers from the same problem where my 4k FireTV does not.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I don't get the complaint about the Roku interface. It's a menu screen with huge icons that you can easily navigate through and see at a glance. The apps themselves all sort of have standard setups regardless of device, and Roku itself has no control over that. My Ultra outputs 4K just fine and does Wireless AC at 5GHz.

Am I just missing something? Does the Shield's GUI have a button that makes the controller suck your dick or something? What am I not getting?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fuzz posted:

The apps themselves all sort of have standard setups regardless of device, and Roku itself has no control over that.

That's only true if the app maker does a custom interface. A lot of the Roku apps use standard Roku frameworks which means pretty simple designs.

HBO go interface especially lags behind all other streaming devices (even TiVo!)

Even within custom interface, a lot of the standard assets are low fidelity like the scrub bar or options screens. It doesn't affect functionality, but it makes you feel like you are using something from 5 years ago.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

bull3964 posted:

feel like you are using something from 5 years ago.

TBF you are

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don Lapre posted:

TBF you are

Very true.

They've been talking up an upcoming major release for awhile that's supposed to help this stuff, but it hasn't materialized yet.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bull3964 posted:

Very true.

They've been talking up an upcoming major release for awhile that's supposed to help this stuff, but it hasn't materialized yet.

I think it's been over a year? What the gently caress Roku.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

That's only true if the app maker does a custom interface. A lot of the Roku apps use standard Roku frameworks which means pretty simple designs.

HBO go interface especially lags behind all other streaming devices (even TiVo!)

Even within custom interface, a lot of the standard assets are low fidelity like the scrub bar or options screens. It doesn't affect functionality, but it makes you feel like you are using something from 5 years ago.

And if a developer does do a custom interface, it is in a language and framework that is unique to Roku. At least on AndroidTV and AppleTV, developers already familiar with Android and iOS development can more easily transition into writing a app for those platforms.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Those are fair statements.

Still better than giving Apple my money or dealing with how crappy the Fire TV is. Shield I have no doubt is better, but eh, doesn't seem worth the extra cost for what ultimately is similar functionality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fuzz posted:

Still better than giving Apple my money
:laffo:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Honestly, the best streaming device imo, as far as price to performance ratio goes, is probably the current generation Roku Stick. Only $50, decently fast hardware for what you pay, point anywhere remote, private listening mode through your phone or tablet, supports basically all streaming services, and works perfect with Plex and a modest HT setup. Only thing, as with all Roku devices, is it can't passthrough HD audio streams, but that's enthusiast grade stuff that most people probably have no care for since most digital media have Dolby AC3 or EAC3 tracks anyways, both of which all Roku devices support.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

The Roku remote turns on/off a few of the window units in my house :(

If I'm not planning on getting a 4K TV anytime soon, is the SHIELD overkill? Is the pro upgrade worth it for putting media directly on the device for Plex to access?

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 25, 2017

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Neon Belly posted:

If I'm not planning on getting a 4K TV anytime soon, is the SHIELD overkill? Is the pro upgrade worth it for putting media directly on the device for Plex to access?

You really don't need the pro model.. If you are using the in-built Plex server, it can read media off a USB attached disk just fine.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

stevewm posted:

You really don't need the pro model.. If you are using the in-built Plex server, it can read media off a USB attached disk just fine.

Shield can also mount network shares as local storage.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing to note, only the pro model has an IR receiver of that's important to you.

Other than that, there's not much point in getting the pro.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

One thing to note, only the pro model has an IR receiver of that's important to you.

Other than that, there's not much point in getting the pro.

Yep, but if you are using a harmony hub it can communicate over bluetooth with it (hopefully no one is using an IR harmony anymore like a poor person)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Don Lapre posted:

Yep, but if you are using a harmony hub it can communicate over bluetooth with it (hopefully no one is using an IR harmony anymore like a poor person)

The 650 is great :colbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Don Lapre posted:

Hey man

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I need to upgrade my harmony remote anyway. I ran into an issue last night where I was programing it to control my cable but it won't program any keys. Stupid bastarding bastard remote. It's the 620. My dog ate my 650 :argh:

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 25, 2017

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I still have much love for the mighty 650 but having upgraded to the hub+remote for 3 TVs now I have to admit it is a better overall setup, particularly where the Shield is concerned.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

stevewm posted:

Good to know, thanks! 1tb external drives on Amazon are half the price of the upgrade to 500gb that the Shield Pro provides.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
If I've decided to shitcan PS Vue because of the price hike, and want to get Viacom channels again... What's my best option?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Neon Belly posted:

I don't even know how this is possible, since my Roku is Bluetooth... unless your AC units are Bluetooth or you're using old and lovely Rokus? I'll be the first to admit, I'd never use anything under the current gen of Roku... the old ones were bad.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Q_res posted:

If I've decided to shitcan PS Vue because of the price hike, and want to get Viacom channels again... What's my best option?

Cable.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Fuzz posted:

I don't even know how this is possible, since my Roku is Bluetooth... unless your AC units are Bluetooth or you're using old and lovely Rokus? I'll be the first to admit, I'd never use anything under the current gen of Roku... the old ones were bad.

It's one of their sticks. Not sure the exact model, got t for free when dining up for Sling.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

My main complaint about DTVnow is the 72 hour rewind is a buffery mess and the ads they insert into on demand stuff are slow as poo poo to load. This makes me very nervous about the upcoming cloud dvr in the fall.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pretty much this if Viacom channels are important to you. Maybe Sling?

DirectTV Now is still pretty much a garbage fire and even if you do happen to live in a region where their CDN doesn't suck balls, there's still no native android TV app for anything other than LeEco's crappy TVs. I mean I suppose you could use chromecast (:barf:). Or an AppleTV or FireTV

I'm pretty much at the point where I just use PSVue during Football season and then kill it the rest of the time. Between OTA, Netflix, Amazon Prime and the free PlutoTV, I pretty much don't miss anything other than the occasional show like Legion or Expanse. And even at the cheapest ($20/mo) it's more cost-effective for me to buy a season pass than pay for "X months" of service to watch live. Even for shows like Westworld and Ash vs. the Evil Dead I'll just wait until the current season is over and then just sub for a month to HBO and/or Stars, binge watch, then cancel.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

My main complaint about DTVnow is the 72 hour rewind is a buffery mess and the ads they insert into on demand stuff are slow as poo poo to load. This makes me very nervous about the upcoming cloud dvr in the fall.

What are you watching on? I have none of these issues.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Fuzz posted:

What are you watching on? I have none of these issues.

Roku Premier plus.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

The 650 is great :colbert:

I love the 650 and hate the MyHarmony software (I was on the legacy software until I replaced my MacBook and decided it wasn't worth installing Java).

Please convince me to move to the Harmony Hub. It looks so much worse in every way that matters. As far as I know none of my components use Bluetooth and there isn't a good line of sight for the hub itself.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LastInLine posted:

I love the 650 and hate the MyHarmony software (I was on the legacy software until I replaced my MacBook and decided it wasn't worth installing Java).

Please convince me to move to the Harmony Hub. It looks so much worse in every way that matters. As far as I know none of my components use Bluetooth and there isn't a good line of sight for the hub itself.

The hub will scatter IR off off surfaces in the entire room, so you can place it just about anywhere. I have mine sitting where it doesn't have line of sight most of my stuff, and it works fine.

I also recommend managing it with the smartphone/tablet app. The computer software is terrible and require Silverlight of all things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Proteus Jones posted:

The hub will scatter IR off off surfaces in the entire room, so you can place it just about anywhere. I have mine sitting where it doesn't have line of sight most of my stuff, and it works fine.

I also recommend managing it with the smartphone/tablet app. The computer software is terrible and require Silverlight of all things.

Yeah the MyHarmony app requires Silverlight and it must package it with it because I never installed it and it complains it's out of date whenever I open the app. If the same app manages the Hub then ugh, it's so terrible.

My main concerns are cost (it's not like my 650 doesn't work and it's paid for) and the fact that the remotes you can get seem so crappy. Do they even still make the one without buttons for lightbulbs and plugs and poo poo? I feel like I'm giving up the context-sensitive screen on the 650 (which I use frequently) and the Help button and backlighting for... what exactly? Being able to use my Google Home to launch an activity?

I've done a lot of looking into the new Harmonys and I'd love to be talked into one, I've just never heard anyone lay out a case for it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you have a Harmony remote you like, don’t have line of sight problems, and aren’t keen on using an Echo/Home for voice control, there’s probably no reason to switch imo.

For info, the “Harmony Smart Control” item on Amazon includes a hub with the shown display-less controller (only mentions the hub in the description) and it’s currently $78.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

LastInLine posted:

I bought last fall and I absolutely love it. You can set it up with your phone which is very easy and the remote is so simple and works flawlessly. Also, if you're lazy and the remote is on the other side of the room you can use your phone to control it. I bought an open box off Amazon for like $95. Get it, you won't regret it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

If you have a Harmony remote you like, don’t have line of sight problems, and aren’t keen on using an Echo/Home for voice control, there’s probably no reason to switch imo.

For info, the “Harmony Smart Control” item on Amazon includes a hub with the shown display-less controller (only mentions the hub in the description) and it’s currently $78.

From what I read the Smart Control hub differs from the newer hub.. I've used Harmonys for over a decade and I know what it's like to have some of their "forgotten hardware". It's not pleasant.

wandler20 posted:

I bought last fall and I absolutely love it. You can set it up with your phone which is very easy and the remote is so simple and works flawlessly. Also, if you're lazy and the remote is on the other side of the room you can use your phone to control it. I bought an open box off Amazon for like $95. Get it, you won't regret it.

I almost never have my phone on me or near me while in the house so that doesn't appeal to me.

The only thing that appeals a little bit would be to have the Home control the setup via voice when I want to cast to the receiver since that's something I have to do manually before I can listen to music. The TV I have has a Chromecast built in but since it's outputting via optical the receiver won't power on when I cast to it and even if it did, it wouldn't set it to the audio input.

I still feel like I'd miss the context buttons far more than I'd enjoy being able to cast hands-free.

I'll keep an eye for sales and if one comes around I might jump but it makes me feel a lot better hearing others praise it.

Is there any input lag when you're doing something fast forwarding? Seems like the longer chain would make hitting that sweet spot when resuming play much more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LastInLine posted:

From what I read the Smart Control hub differs from the newer hub.. I've used Harmonys for over a decade and I know what it's like to have some of their "forgotten hardware". It's not pleasant.
Well you have more experience than me, but I bought the smart control hub at Christmas and it works fine for us. Also that thread you linked was from Feb 2015 and I haven’t heard of any firmware updates for a nominal fee or anything. And glancing at the Logitech support site, they ... well I’m not convinced there are actually different models of hub. But I’m not nearly an expert on Harmony stuff.