Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve never been into the idea of RedZone at all because I like watching full games live of all sports or catching up via highlights. I had though wrongly assumed it was just going to show red zone situations. I read over the wikipedia and god drat that’s awesome. It sounds like a really well thought out setup and a lot of fun in general. Still not quite for me but that’s cool!

Once you watch RedZone, it's hard to watch an actual game on tv.

Maybe that's because I'm a jets fan though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't really follow NFL, since college football is what I actually enjoy and I don't want to give up two days to football *but* I've watched RedZone in bars and it's the most enjoyable way I've seen to watch regular season NFL.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
If you upgrade to YouTube Premium does it get rid of that “Still Watching?” prompt (where it auto-pauses after a period of inactivity)? I got a tiny smart TV for cats but this “productivity feature” or whatever you wanna call it is foiling my plans! :argh: I can deal with ads but this stupid thing would actually get me to fork out the cash.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
no telling, since you're using whatever client is on your tv and those can vary. you've also committed a cardinal sin by connecting it to the internet, so it's already scoured your network for everything it can find and sent that information back to the manufacturer and is actively looking for more

for what it's worth, i've never seen that prompt when using a chromecast, but i do pay for premium and don't leave it playing when i'm not actually watching so i don't know if either of those things will solve your problem

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Hmm I see, well I’m willing to hook up a specific device to an HDMI input if this in in fact the kind of thing that just varies by platform. But yeah since it’s not a part of Premium’s advertised feature set I probably shouldn’t expect a reliable result regardless :/

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

It’s $16 a year via an Indian vpn, just splash the cash

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Minidust posted:

If you upgrade to YouTube Premium does it get rid of that “Still Watching?” prompt (where it auto-pauses after a period of inactivity)? I got a tiny smart TV for cats but this “productivity feature” or whatever you wanna call it is foiling my plans! :argh: I can deal with ads but this stupid thing would actually get me to fork out the cash.

Our cats have a tablet, just download whatever videos, download VLC, set a looping playlist and set the lock screen option.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The 4k Chromecast with Google TV updated to Android 12 today which brings match frame rate to the table, but it made it worse for my 2016 LG OLED as it doesn't allow me to select a base refresh rate above 30hz if I have HDR turned on at all (it's only Dolby Vision that can't work above 30hz on this TV.)

They also took away the 1080i60 display option which is really what I was using this for.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Apple just introduced the 2022 Apple TV 4K (3rd Gen.) yesterday, reducing the price and upping the max storage to 128GB, and...

...they now offer the factory refurbished 64GB 2021 ATV 4K version for only $109 + tax (free S&H). Full 1-year warranty. I've never had a bad refurb from Apple, they've all looked brand new.

Get 'em while you can.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FXH02LL/A/refurbished-apple-tv-4k-64gb-2nd-generation

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Crossposting from the Android thread as they pointed me to here. And suggested to just get a Chromecast :v:. I'm considering it now but to consider the other options too:

I'm trying to figure out what budget box to get for my parents. Most Aliexpress stuff comes with various mystery CPUs like
  • Allwinner H3
  • Rockchip RK3318
  • Allwinner H618
  • Amlogic S905W2
  • Amlogic S905X4 / X2-B
but it's hard to figure out what's what because Gamers Nexus doesn't have neat charts for them. I tried to roughly arrange them in order of increased performance, does this make sense? Which one would be suitable for playing 1080p streams or youtubes, and have reasonably responsive UI for navigation or browsing?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
You must really hate your parents if you’re gonna buy them some poo poo from Ali Express that will barely function.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mobby_6kl posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread as they pointed me to here. And suggested to just get a Chromecast :v:. I'm considering it now but to consider the other options too:

I'm trying to figure out what budget box to get for my parents. Most Aliexpress stuff comes with various mystery CPUs like
  • Allwinner H3
  • Rockchip RK3318
  • Allwinner H618
  • Amlogic S905W2
  • Amlogic S905X4 / X2-B
but it's hard to figure out what's what because Gamers Nexus doesn't have neat charts for them. I tried to roughly arrange them in order of increased performance, does this make sense? Which one would be suitable for playing 1080p streams or youtubes, and have reasonably responsive UI for navigation or browsing?

So why not a Chromecast (the kind with Google TV that has a remote and UI)?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Android thread was right, don't get any of those and go with a Chromecast or Roku or literally any other streaming device.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mobby_6kl posted:

• Allwinner H3
  • Rockchip RK3318
  • Allwinner H618
  • Amlogic S905W2
  • Amlogic S905X4 / X2-B

Get them a Roku if you want something cheap. Don’t bother with garbage off of Aliexpress imo.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that $19.99 ONN walmart android device is way better than it should be for that price. I use one in my garage on a monitor as a TV and it's very snappy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kilometers Davis posted:

Get them a Roku if you want something cheap. Don’t bother with garbage off of Aliexpress imo.

Yeah dear god this crap is fine for nerdy types to gently caress around with and say "Well at least it only cost $9", but when you can get Rokus and Firesticks for like $20 it's absolutely not worth giving this kind of tech to your parents.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

They've been pretty happy with some noname box they bought years ago, it's just somewhat slow and getting flakey power/network nowadays. Which is why I was looking for a direct upgrade for them more or less.

I didn't actually know the new Chromecast had normal Android TV stuff now. Seems like it's worse hardware but hopefully Google software is better (lol). Not sure about Roku/Amazon stuff, it needs to be able to play arbitrary videos for non-English content they watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The biggest problem with the Chromecast w/Google TV was internal storage on the 4k model. They increased that on the just released HD version though so that shouldn't be a problem on the HD version.

It's not perfect, but its well supported and I haven't had an major issues with the 2 4k versions I have (aside from some boneheaded configuration decisions that only affect my equipment setup.)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The biggest problem with the Chromecast w/Google TV was internal storage on the 4k model. They increased that on the just released HD version though so that shouldn't be a problem on the HD version.
what? i don't understand why internal storage would matter at all on a chromecast. what would i be using it for?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

what? i don't understand why internal storage would matter at all on a chromecast. what would i be using it for?

To install apps and the updates. The 4k one has 4.4gb of storage and the HD one has 4.7gb of storage available right out of the box, not a huge difference, but can be meaningful depending on how many apps you have installed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

To install apps and the updates. The 4k one has 4.4gb of storage and the HD one has 4.7gb of storage available right out of the box, not a huge difference, but can be meaningful depending on how many apps you have installed.
install...apps? i cast videos from my phone and it just works. 4.4gb seems like a large amount and i'm still not sure what kinds of things you're installing on it. games?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

butt dickus posted:

install...apps? i cast videos from my phone and it just works. 4.4gb seems like a large amount and i'm still not sure what kinds of things you're installing on it. games?

The newer Chromecast with Google TVs are standalone devices with their own remote and UI. So you have your Netflix, D+, Hulu apps etc. You can still cast, but you don't need to like older CC's. It's for people who find the casting process annoying.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yes i have the one with the remote which i never use except for when i need to power cycle it. i just dug into the settings and saw i have 4.4GB of total space, and there's a bunch of things that came preinstalled. they're all 50-150MB, and after removing the ones i don't use i have 2.5GB available. a little math says that's enough for somewhere between 17 and 50 apps, i'd have a hard time even naming 17 streaming services

i'm glad this came up though as i saw hdmi-cec in the settings and was able to disable it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you love your parents get them a ChromeCast or an AppleTV or a Roku or a FireTV or whatever - you know, the things you can find at your local Best Buy. If you hate your parents, just don't get them anything instead of whatever garbage you can find on AliExpress.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
Hold on now, can you say you love your parents if you don't get them a hexagonal shaped android tv 4G 64GB T95Z PLUS TVBOX Allwinner h618 Dual Band Wifi6 1080P BT 6K 2022 Media Player Set Top Box with RGB lighting and a FREE MINI KEYBOARD?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Your wife parents will love the dual core Tegra Amlogic S905X4 / X2-B chipset.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

butt dickus posted:

yes i have the one with the remote which i never use except for when i need to power cycle it. i just dug into the settings and saw i have 4.4GB of total space, and there's a bunch of things that came preinstalled. they're all 50-150MB, and after removing the ones i don't use i have 2.5GB available. a little math says that's enough for somewhere between 17 and 50 apps, i'd have a hard time even naming 17 streaming services

i'm glad this came up though as i saw hdmi-cec in the settings and was able to disable it

Casting sometimes doesn't do the same stuff as the installed app (sound formats, HDR), plus the convenience of not having to use your phone. Also, storage is needed for device updates too which can be 700mb to 1gb (last one was 722mb).

I just have a handful of apps (12) installed on my Office TV one and I'm down to 1.7gb free. So, it can get marginal for device updates if you have too much installed. The extra 300mb can make a difference in those cases.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

They've been pretty happy with some noname box they bought years ago, it's just somewhat slow and getting flakey power/network nowadays.

:thunk:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Things sometimes fail or go obsolete :shrug: They've had that $20 box for way longer than most people keep a phones.

Endless Mike posted:

If you love your parents get them a ChromeCast or an AppleTV or a Roku or a FireTV or whatever - you know, the things you can find at your local Best Buy. If you hate your parents, just don't get them anything instead of whatever garbage you can find on AliExpress.
No Best Buy here. So it's probably between the Chromecast and one of these monstrosities

F.D. Signifier posted:

Hold on now, can you say you love your parents if you don't get them a hexagonal shaped android tv 4G 64GB T95Z PLUS TVBOX Allwinner h618 Dual Band Wifi6 1080P BT 6K 2022 Media Player Set Top Box with RGB lighting and a FREE MINI KEYBOARD?

What's not to love about RGB gamer light tv box?!

bull3964 posted:

Casting sometimes doesn't do the same stuff as the installed app (sound formats, HDR), plus the convenience of not having to use your phone. Also, storage is needed for device updates too which can be 700mb to 1gb (last one was 722mb).

I just have a handful of apps (12) installed on my Office TV one and I'm down to 1.7gb free. So, it can get marginal for device updates if you have too much installed. The extra 300mb can make a difference in those cases.
Yeah casting is nice to have but that's definitely not the preferred way for them or me to use it. Usually they'll just find whatever they want to watch on the big screen.

Some extra local space would be good to have for sure. I see two versions here, "HD" GA03131-DE in exactly one store and the other one unspecified GA01919-US. I guess the second one is 4k with less storage?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

GA03131 is HD and GA01919 is 4k, but you got two different country codes there (DE is Germany and US is United States).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
There is no way that an old person is going to use up all of the storage on a set top box. It's a non issue. They'll install the few apps they are familiar with and just use those.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Imagine scrolling past a Roku to buy your parents any of that janky bullshit

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

F.D. Signifier posted:

The remote they show here is awesome, I bought one for like $15 to use with my Shield.

Yeah it makes a high pitched whining noise at all times, but it’s a good remote

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I seem to recall most of those knock off Android boxes won't even connect to the Play store.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My parents recently moved from NY (where I'm at) to NC and have expressed interest in splitting a YouTube TV family plan. Am I correct to assume that won't work? I know "household" sharing is the official use case; not sure how actual usage shakes out in 2022.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Minidust posted:

My parents recently moved from NY (where I'm at) to NC and have expressed interest in splitting a YouTube TV family plan. Am I correct to assume that won't work? I know "household" sharing is the official use case; not sure how actual usage shakes out in 2022.

YouTube tv geolocks the live tv stuff but you can still access the various networks apps

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

MarcusSA posted:

YouTube tv geolocks the live tv stuff but you can still access the various networks apps
exact info I needed, thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I know for myself, when I used YTTV or Hulu Live TV, I didn't care about the 'live' part. The real value for me was the TV provider logins for the apps and websites for the channels.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know for myself, when I used YTTV or Hulu Live TV, I didn't care about the 'live' part. The real value for me was the TV provider logins for the apps and websites for the channels.

That’s how I’m using YTTV right now that my dad is the primary on.

There have been a few cases where I’ve wanted to watch something live but it’s pretty few and far between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

mobby_6kl posted:

I didn't actually know the new Chromecast had normal Android TV stuff now. Seems like it's worse hardware but hopefully Google software is better (lol). Not sure about Roku/Amazon stuff, it needs to be able to play arbitrary videos for non-English content they watch.

How have your parents been playing those non-English arbitrary videos on their no-name box? Were they like, manually sideloading them? Lol.