Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I've found it works better in chrome than other browsers but yea its slow no matter what you're running it on. What I did was set it up to monitor a couple folders, one for movies and one for tv, and just drag and drop files into those folders. Haven't even had to open plex again after initial setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll be honest, I'm not too thrilled with the Roku so far overall.

Edit: Yeah, this thing does nothing the 360 couldn't do just as well and Plex is terrible. I'll just wait for the Rpi, this piece of poo poo is going back tomorrow.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 8, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well, the Plex Media Manager (that pops up as a web page) certainly sucks. I think the developers even acknowledge that.

The actual server and app work much better, though.

walumachoncha
Jul 22, 2004
fraeulin doesn't like linux/GNOME :(

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Yeah, this thing does nothing the 360 couldn't do just as well and Plex is terrible. I'll just wait for the Rpi, this piece of poo poo is going back tomorrow.

You've already gotten the best response with the zotac and xbmc. I'm sure even you could install a stick of ram and a hdd inside a pre made bare bones.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I don't have one personally, but I wouldn't hold my breath about the Rpi being better than the Roku. 256mb RAM. Like everyone else says, get a pre-built system or look for a used Revo1600.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

savesthedayrocks posted:

I don't have one personally, but I wouldn't hold my breath about the Rpi being better than the Roku. 256mb RAM. Like everyone else says, get a pre-built system or look for a used Revo1600.

The rpi is not going to be better than a roku, pretty much period. I mean it's cool and I like mine, but I never bought it to serve as something like that.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Boxee has suited my needs for the most part. Plays all sorts of hosed up file formats, has a pleasing (to me) form factor, and has a competent web browser. Suffer no delusions, this poo poo aint no computer, but it works decently enough. I watch a grip of :filez: and web content in the form of streaming twitch.tv and its ilk and it does that poo poo fine.

Hanging out with the bros usually devolves into "hey man i got this cool poo poo on my youtubes" and that works pretty OK as long as your pals are OK with doing battle with the lovely mouse substitute.

The one big problem is it doesn't do Hulu+, as as previously stated Boxee is a fork of XBMC so it suffers the same shortfall. I bought a cheap roku to serve as a replacement.

Remote thinger is girlfriend friendly and some of the native apps are appealing to her. There's like some sort of fitness or yoga channel idk and she likes it, along with the netflix and web poo poo.

Smartphone remote is decent albeit lovely in the grand scheme of things.

For super serious nerd poo poo that requires super computer power you have the option of either building a full power mediaPC, buying incredibly expensive (for now) wireless HDMI, or doing like I did and running a long rear end HDMI cable through the walls/under the carpet.

IN GENERAL I suggest building a mediaPC or a zotac zbox or something like that already suggested in the thread. Seeing as how they are full-blown computers, they can do anything a computer can do, which alleviates all of the platform-specific issues that plague pre-made media delivery systems. A zotac or a mediaPC can do everything a boxee, roku, or appletv can do along with being a full-blown computer. Put XBMC on it for a slick looking frontend when you want to impress your friends, and you can also read the forums or watch newgrounds (excuse the example of a weird website nothing would support because why?) or whatever the gently caress you want because it's a computer.

While I read you're computer-parts phobic please understand that assembling computers in the yool2012 is far easier than it was back in the day. Parts are literally legos, fit way fuckin easier, and OS installs are cake. There are linux distos that come pre-installed and optimized with XBMC+codecs and poo poo for your sperging pleasure.

Personally, I have a Boxee+Roku+Leaf antenna in the living room for general purpose. There is an HDMI cable to the TV for nerd business but I use my phone as a keyboard+mouse which blows dogshit, but is OK for navigating just a little bit.

Bedroom TV is just a roku which is cool for the lady who likes to have TV on the background while she reads.

e: Getting a decent DVR for an antenna is seriously troublesome. It appears the best option is MythTV and that's getting a little into the mega-sperg territory.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 8, 2012

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

mediaphage posted:

You pay $200 a month for tv shows? :psyduck:

So many fees involved.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

Rhyno posted:

So we cut cable back in February and I've been keeping a laptop handy for watching video from itunes and other sources. We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.
I'm sick of the laptop being on the coffee table, i'm sick of the cables running around the room, so what's my best bet for network streaming? A Boxee? Roku? I've never had much skill for building PCs so I don't think an HTPC is the right thing for me. In the Boxee thread the popular opinion these days is that the device sucks and from reading here I gather that the Roku doesn't natively stream from a local network.
Are any of the other box options suitable for my needs? Does anyone make a pre made HTPC?

By way of offering another option, you may want to give the WDTV Live a try (IYG thread - which is slightly outdated, you might want to skip to the last few pages for the latest version of the player).

It does Netflix and Hulu (but not Amazon), has played every file I've thrown at it, local network support both via network share and DLNA plus two USB ports to support local storage. It can also act as a media server itself so you can theoretically plug an external HDD the back of it, transfer your video files there and watch them on the TV or from your laptop or wherever. Plus it has a (somewhat) decent smartphone remote app with simulated keyboard which comes in handy for Netflix searches.

It's not a replacement for a custom built HTPC but for $80 I've never really found myself cause to complain.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rubby posted:

By way of offering another option, you may want to give the WDTV Live a try (IYG thread - which is slightly outdated, you might want to skip to the last few pages for the latest version of the player).

It does Netflix and Hulu (but not Amazon), has played every file I've thrown at it, local network support both via network share and DLNA plus two USB ports to support local storage. It can also act as a media server itself so you can theoretically plug an external HDD the back of it, transfer your video files there and watch them on the TV or from your laptop or wherever. Plus it has a (somewhat) decent smartphone remote app with simulated keyboard which comes in handy for Netflix searches.

It's not a replacement for a custom built HTPC but for $80 I've never really found myself cause to complain.

These are great little boxes. I'm not a huge fan of the Netflix app streaming quality, however, as it doesn't look as nice as an Xbox 360.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...
My girlfriend's mother has HBO (for true blood and Game Of thrones) and showtime (Dexter). And a cable box that we have set to record The Walking Dead

Everything else I use Hulu Plus, amazon prime, and the HBO go app (girlfriend's mother's subscription linked to the 360). Every so often I turn on actual TV for sports with an HD Antenna. It seems to me that this is a pretty normal set up. The girlfriend for a time thought she needed cable, the bill was 150 per month (cable and internet). Thank god I got her to ditch that as we can only invest 8 hours per week in entertainment at the most.

$100 dollar savings every month.

My daughter (is almost 12) really liked having cable for a time, for Disney and Nick. But now all she wants to play is Minecraft and doesn't think about that stuff to much. Not sure if that is good or bad

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I miss Jeopardy, and don't live in a place where I can get it (in Canada, the digital transition was poorly handled in my opinion, and where I am now I can't get a single OTA channel). I was thinking of getting a Slingbox and hooking it up to a headless cable box at my sister's in Kentucky, and tossing her a few bucks a month to cover the box rental. There are no caps and they barely use the Internet anyway, so I don't see that being much trouble. Thoughts?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm considering cutting the cord to cable after my Comcast bill jumped from $75 to $135 in a little over 4 years. I've bought a little time though... Got customer retention on the phone today, and got a much better package for $35 LESS for 6 months. They seemed to not budge from he prices listed online, until I did the fake out with requesting to start the cancelation process.

But anyway, what brings me to the thread. I remember seeing a website at one point that broke down when almost any tv show aired on other streaming formats. Fanhatten does a decent jobs at telling you which service a show is on in general, butnthisnsite would say thing like "Hulu Plus 7 day after airing", "iTunes next day for $1.99", or "all past seasons only".

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So we cut cable back in February and I've been keeping a laptop handy for watching video from itunes and other sources. We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.
I'm sick of the laptop being on the coffee table, i'm sick of the cables running around the room, so what's my best bet for network streaming? A Boxee? Roku? I've never had much skill for building PCs so I don't think an HTPC is the right thing for me. In the Boxee thread the popular opinion these days is that the device sucks and from reading here I gather that the Roku doesn't natively stream from a local network.
Are any of the other box options suitable for my needs? Does anyone make a pre made HTPC?

Another option would be an AppleTV if you have an iPhone/iPad and a decent PC to transcode on the fly.

I spent a week dog-sitting last month and was able to stream my entire collection to their Apple TV via AirVideo. Definitely an option to think about.

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.
I moved recently and cut the cord in the process. Got a boxee and my xbox and between the two watch literally anything I could possibly ever want.

My question, though: what speed internet do you guys use?

I ask because there's one point that's been bugging me lately: I like playing a game on the PC (Starcraft 2 or whatever) while watching TV if I'm trying to really escape from thinking about anything. I'm averaging 35mbps down, so I imagine it's not really a problem, but I do get occasional big lagging/buffering/etc. spikes.

So what internet speeds do you internet-only users select from your internet provider? I can upgrade mine, but the 50 mbps or (goodness) 105 mbps options kind of eat into my "saving money by cutting the cord" bonus.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Peglegington posted:

I'm averaging 35mbps down, so I imagine it's not really a problem, ...
Not even close to a problem. Like by a speed factor of five.

In the last few years, we've never had problems with a HD stream, an MMO, and browsing/Youtube all going at the same time (plus phones and an iPad connected) on a 5 mbps connection.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Peglegington posted:

I moved recently and cut the cord in the process. Got a boxee and my xbox and between the two watch literally anything I could possibly ever want.

My question, though: what speed internet do you guys use?

I ask because there's one point that's been bugging me lately: I like playing a game on the PC (Starcraft 2 or whatever) while watching TV if I'm trying to really escape from thinking about anything. I'm averaging 35mbps down, so I imagine it's not really a problem, but I do get occasional big lagging/buffering/etc. spikes.

So what internet speeds do you internet-only users select from your internet provider? I can upgrade mine, but the 50 mbps or (goodness) 105 mbps options kind of eat into my "saving money by cutting the cord" bonus.

It's probably more of a problem with your equipment. What modem, router do you have? Running any of the devices wireless?

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.

TDD_Shizzy posted:

It's probably more of a problem with your equipment. What modem, router do you have? Running any of the devices wireless?

Trouble shooting has shown me it's my router. Time for an upgrade. Do you guys wire everything or go wireless? Will going wireless cause issues (is that why you asked that)?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Peglegington posted:

Netflix HD only needs a 3mbps connection. I have a 5mbps connection, the fastest I can get from AT&T and it has never been a problem. I cannot figure out why you're worried about a 35mbps connection, that's faster than like 99% of the entire United States population.

Peglegington
Jun 2, 2006

Hmmm.... yes.

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Netflix HD only needs a 3mbps connection. I have a 5mbps connection, the fastest I can get from AT&T and it has never been a problem. I cannot figure out why you're worried about a 35mbps connection, that's faster than like 99% of the entire United States population.

I'm not "worried" but I'm getting a lot of lag and buffering and wanted to know what's what. Thanks for all the input, I figured because there were faster options that those speeds would be warranted. Apparently, if you get the faster packages, you're either running a business in your apartment or are completely insane.

Thanks guys. Working on figuring out what, if not the speed itself, is causing the issue.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I am also not sure if I could drop down in internet speeds. Right now I am on 15mbps for $50 (Which I am getting a $10 discount on), and the only step down is 3mbps for $30. My only thought is that if I am downloading large files my wife's laptop would probably be crippled. I am not sure what speed I had at my parents house, but whenever I was downloading stuff everyone would complain that their internet stopped working.

I am sure I could probably talk Comcast down if I really tried.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 10, 2012

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Peglegington posted:

Trouble shooting has shown me it's my router. Time for an upgrade. Do you guys wire everything or go wireless? Will going wireless cause issues (is that why you asked that)?

Wiring everything will be better, but sometimes thats not an option. I have had good luck with wireless, but I also wouldn't buy cheap wireless devices and expect them to perform on the same level as, lets say an Apple Airport Extreme, or some of the new Asus wireless routers.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you've got devices and a router that support it, I'd recommend getting a setup with a 5 GHz wireless channel. You'll get less interference from the multitude of 2.4GHz networks liable to be broadcasting around you and a better connection, IMHO.

The downside is the range is less expansive but that's not a concern with a home theater set up since everything is fixed.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Peglegington posted:

Get a good wireless N router.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Peglegington posted:

Get an Apple Airport Extreme (newest edition). I know this isn't the router thread, but as a (non) Apple fan, I have to say it's absolutely rock solid hardware. Never an issue (and I've owned many, many ABGN, etc) routers in my day. The AE smokes them all in performance and reliability.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If I want to stream stuff HD videos my computer to a device, should I go Roku or Boxee or Apple? I'm thinking of something along the lines of DLNA streaming to a PS3/Xbox, except hopefully for something that doesn't guzzle power and have fans blowing all the time as my first-gen console equipment does.

I don't particularly care about glossy media server interfaces, I just want to be able to get to and launch videos. The talk about Plex here being slow and bad and web-based makes my skin crawl compared to my past with DLNA devices.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
I've only had one HD video screw up on me when streaming from my PC to my AppleTV (XBMC). That file played perfectly fine on my WD TV Live.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If you're using an Apple TV, I'd definitely recommend using something like iFlicks. It will either remux or re-encode stuff to an h.264 profile and add the right tags so stuff shows up properly in iTunes which your Apple TV can see. It's pretty cool to just fire up the ATV and go to a list of all your shows broken down by seasons and of course your movies.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Craptacular! posted:

The talk about Plex here being slow and bad and web-based makes my skin crawl compared to my past with DLNA devices.
Just to make sure you're clear, that talk that worries you is about Plex's browser based Media Manager, not the streamer itself or its interface on a Roku box. Still a valid concern, but not something you'll have to deal with regularly. You only use the Media Manager to add (or delete) media to your Plex library, and after initial setup you can tell it to watch folders for changes so you don't really have to see the Media Manager again if you don't want to.

I don't have a Boxee, but I do have a couple Roku boxes and a stock AppleTV. There are some little differences, but personally in general I think it boils down to:

Roku: more options (e.g. Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, etc.), terrible options for streaming your iTunes music library. Can be cheaper.

AppleTV: Naturally, a much better interface to your entire Apple ecosystem, but video has to be in Apple format. Has Airplay and Airplay mirroring capability.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To clarify, I don't own a Mac or use OSX, but I do have Windows and Linux. I usually avoid Apple, but if they make the thing that works best or most hassle-free for me in this department I don't mind giving them my money, and their thing works with MLB TV (which I expect I'll be a regular subscriber of) and Hulu Plus (to which I don't subscribe but I hear adding compatibility later is tough.)

I figured the majority of problems would be getting a server that can somehow fake the Apple AirPlay or whatever protocol it uses, and handling of more advanced things like subtitles.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

For playing network shares of various video types, I really like the WD TV stuff. If you also want to watch Netflix, get the Apple TV. I have both, and I like both, but the Netflix quality on the WD TV is noticeably worse than the Apple TV or Xbox.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it really depends on how into Apple's ecosystem you are.

If you've got an iDevice or are a heavy iTunes user, an AppleTV is going to be an easier fit then anything else.

If you're not in Apple's ecosystem, then a Roku or WDTV may be a simpler option. However, AppleTV's Netflix and Hulu Plus interface is really excellent and far better than my time with WDTV's.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3506030/fcc-allows-basic-cable-encryption-protects-consumers-open-access

FCC is allowing cable companies to encrypt OTA channels.

Bad news. Soon you won't be able to just have the basic cable package without having to rent equipment to get OTA signals. :sigh: I really didn't want to get a 8' antenna on my roof so I can get one channel.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Parlett316 posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/15/3506030/fcc-allows-basic-cable-encryption-protects-consumers-open-access

FCC is allowing cable companies to encrypt OTA channels.

Bad news. Soon you won't be able to just have the basic cable package without having to rent equipment to get OTA signals. :sigh: I really didn't want to get a 8' antenna on my roof so I can get one channel.

I've read the decision a few times and still don't understand their rationale in how this is fair to consumers. I thought the one of the main reasons behind FCC carrier licensing was ensuring free and fair access to public broadcast content. How does encrypting it help anyone but cable companies?

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 16, 2012

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
If comcast being allowed to encrypt clearqam requires them to make it available over IP, and software/devices can integrate with it, id be more than happy with that.

Dealing with Muxes and frequencies is poo poo.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Astro7x posted:

But anyway, what brings me to the thread. I remember seeing a website at one point that broke down when almost any tv show aired on other streaming formats. Fanhatten does a decent jobs at telling you which service a show is on in general, butnthisnsite would say thing like "Hulu Plus 7 day after airing", "iTunes next day for $1.99", or "all past seasons only".
Anybody know this website? I'm interested in it too...

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

If comcast being allowed to encrypt clearqam requires them to make it available over IP, and software/devices can integrate with it, id be more than happy with that.

Dealing with Muxes and frequencies is poo poo.

This, plus I hope it kills off the space hog that is analog broadcast. I don't know that broadcast channels need to be encrypted but on the other hand it'll make securing the signal a lot easier.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I've read the decision a few times and still don't understand their rationale in how this is fair to consumers. I thought the one of the main reasons behind FCC carrier licensing was ensuring free and fair access to public broadcast content. How does encrypting it help anyone but cable companies?

Consumers don't have any Aspen ski trips or cushy jobs to offer to the fcc commissioners and they are in an appointed position so there's no reason for them to give a rats rear end about being fair.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

This, plus I hope it kills off the space hog that is analog broadcast. I don't know that broadcast channels need to be encrypted but on the other hand it'll make securing the signal a lot easier.
Most cable companies are already or have killed analog. This has to do with removing the clearqam channels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

Most cable companies are already or have killed analog. This has to do with removing the clearqam channels.

We haven't...still got 50+ of the annoying buggers floating around. I think the office would be stormed by angry villagers with pitchforks and torches if they went away though.

I thought most cable companies still had an analog tier and only a few had gone all digital?