Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
With HDhomerun do you need to actually record stuff to stream it across the house, or can you use the box as a sort of remote tuner and flip channels via the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Proteus Jones posted:

Live streaming across your network is basically how their boxes work. You used to need a 3rd party app to do DVR with them, but I think in the last couple years Silicon Dust started offering a cloud DVR.

Personally I use PLEX for DVR and it works great.

I wasn't aware Plex had OTA antenna receivers, I might look into that too then, thanks.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Tambreet posted:

I watch it too much to get rid of it, but in this day and age I can't believe they still get away with charing extra for HD and Ultra HD.

I've been subscribed to the disc by mail Netflix for 22 years next month, and still don't pay extra for blu-rays. Mainly because the kind of rare/old movies that can only be found that way don't benefit much from HD unless someone completely remasters them anyway, but it it's still pretty ridiculous when blu-ray is what, 16 years old?
Hell I've worked for a video production company for 25 years and we stopped charging extra for bluray in like 2015, not because it cost less than dvd to make but because we didn't want people to own a crappy 480p version of our work.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I can't even imagine having cable tv WITHOUT also adding several streaming services on top of it in TYOOL 2022. I guess I'd be caught up on Better Caul Saul instead of waiting for Netflix to get it, but I'd just be missing everything else. It's definitely not an either/or situation.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Anton Chigurh posted:

(gently caress Adobe, Photoshop, and your cloud subscription bullshit! GDIAF, you greedy corporate fucks! :argh: )

Photoshop CS6 for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
I guess this probably wouldn't help with that specific station but as an anecdote that may help someone else's parents I'll say that mine retired and moved away to a location closer to Pittsburgh than D.C., but still only wanted their local D.C. news and sports. They just set my house as the billing address and use a local installer who just doesn't give a poo poo.