Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I picked up a Roku 2 XD today. The selection is great but god drat is that interface rough. It's a good step to breaking from cable though (I live at home and use my parents cable sub so I'm basically just sick of cables selection). The huge selection of vintage sci fi, horror, etc is awesome. There's even a bunch of old PSAs and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Liar posted:

After you've had some time with it could you post an every-man review of it? I've been using my BluRay player, which streams Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, YouTube, and about three different VOD stations. But I hate that I have to wait for it to turn on... aka I want something I can leave on constantly. I also want more options in terms of viewing.

Sure, I'll post something in 4-5 days since that's how long I plan on stress testing it before deciding if it's a keeper. I can say though that it's ideal for an always on device. There's no power button or anything, it's always a few seconds away from use. Is there anything specific you'd like me to go into detail about or try when I review it?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

If I can battle out of our $285 :eyepop: tv/internet/cable bundle from Spectrum into just internet and then get Hulu Live that's a pretty decent setup right? We already use Hulu for the majority of our tv watching and the only other person just wants standard "cable" to watch like some local channels and sports and the history channel. Is Hulu Live pretty decent and manageable for someone not super app savvy?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thanks for the info everyone! Sounds like Hulu Live will be a solid fit. Nice thing about switching from Spectrum to this is all it takes is cancelling on the website and then trying another app. The streaming situation is far from ideal nowadays but at least it's not cable lol.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Dear lord that’s a lot of cash, I’m guessing you have every premium channel known to man? I might have to look at that post every time I get grumbly I pay $140 for gigabit fiber and ‘enough channels I can watch all my sport’ cable TV.

Ugh, right, not really even intending to bloat it so much. It's just one of those things that creeps up and gets out of hand and then you actually pay attention to what you should be paying/getting and yeah.

Luckily they gave me zero issues about switching to just internet. $80/month for 100 Mbps with no caps. Works for me. Only other option here is AT&T and I don't really feel like switching everything over for what is most likely the same price in the end.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BonoMan posted:

Completely unsolicited but YouTube TV had been amazing for us love TV wise

Yeah that's our second option I think. I've got a better history with Hulu than google/youtube so I figured stick with what we know and then go from there. I was looking into YTTV earlier and it definitely sounds like a solid option.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Was thinking of grabbing a few cheap 4th gen apple tvs to replace our cable boxes and get my dad setup with his first streaming situation but I realized the new Roku Express 4K+ boxes are priced really well and might be a better option. All he really needs it for is Hulu + Live TV, Netflix and probably Pluto TV. He doesn’t need 4K but I figure the future proofing is a solid idea. Is this a bad idea or should I go for it? I generally stick to Apple stuff but I’ve had good experience with Roku in the past and I feel like he would get along with it well.

How’s the wifi on those by the way? Better/worse than a 4th gen atv?

e: grabbed two roku express 4k+ to try out for now

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 2, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So my dog really likes watching tv. It keeps her calm and distracted from OUTSIDE NOISE anxiety and whatnot. We're about to switch over from cable to an apple tv 4th gen in the room she usually hangs out in. I'm drawing a blank on good free apps that can just sit running live 24/7 other than pluto tv. Pluto is a perfect option sure but seems to have some weeks where it likes to freeze/hang on so alternatives are handy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve already got the Apple TV so it’s cheaper this way. That’s a solid idea though for sure. Can you get weird random stuff through those? I’d love to grab one just to find some strange local stations but I’m not sure if that’s even a thing.

She’s can be p picky. I think she likes cartoons the most.

FCKGW posted:

If I just want some background noise and video on my AppleTV I usually throw on EarthcamTV which shows a rotating list of random webcams from around the globe. They have a featured feed that rotates cams every few minutes and plays along some music. You can also browse and pick a webcam to view. They have stuff like nature locations, puppy cams, cityscapes, it's kinda neat to just pop on and surf around.

https://www.earthcamtv.com/
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/earthcamtv/id1051900381

It has a free preview where it will allow you to stream a cam for about a minute and then dump you back to the menu. You can unlock the unlimited stream for a paltry $5/year.

That’s a great idea. I hate adding more subscriptions but 5/year is nothing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I. M. Gei posted:

Hi, I am thinking about cutting the cord to lighten our cable/internet bill, but I know nothing whatsoever about it and I still want to be able to watch shows at the same time they air on regular rear end live TV, because I am apparently a luddite and the idea of watching all shows any time I want is scary to me (I enjoy structure, gently caress you).

What are my options?

We just started using Hulu Live after years of cable and it does this extremely well with a great selection of bigger cable networks and locals. Couldn’t be happier honestly. The interface is very sleek and minimal too so that’s a plus for just getting to exactly what you want with minimal annoyances.

And yeah locast was recommended to me (my dog) in here and it’s a good one to check out too. The selection wasn’t amazing here but it’s free so you might as well have a look.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does anyone know if Spectrum has a hidden barebones local channel only package? The only thing I can find on their site is Spectrum Select which is their version of basic cable.

I feel like they did at one time at least. In my experience you have to call them up to get any actually useful plan info. It’s amazing how abstractly they hide everything on the site and such. Luckily in my experience the service people are very helpful and don’t jerk you around like 99% of others I’ve dealt with.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah I’ve got some minor issues with it but the Hulu/Hulu Live ui is miles beyond anything else I use. It’s really nice and minimal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Get the Apple TV.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BonoMan posted:

Interesting as this has been my experiences with Rokus. Granted it's not as slick as an Apple TV, but you plug it in and it just works with an ultra simple grid set of icons.

In my experience Roku is definitely a solid option too. I definitely don’t care for their hardware/UI/general consistency etc compared to the Apple TV but they’re great boxes. The fact that you can get them for so cheap and they can attach to the back of the tv and whatnot is real nice. They’re fun little devices. They definitely know their place in the market and seem to give you exactly what they offer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

TheScott2K posted:

Apple TV is great but that remote is just such a massive caveat. Love my shield toblerone

The new remote is amazing, they finally got it right after all the weirdness of the previous ones. The old was fine for me but I understand many of the complaints. New one is a perfect design imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

RevKrule posted:

Hulu is raising the cost of Live TV $5/mo but adding Disney+ and ESPN+ to the deal for free. If you wanted both of those or are subbing outside the bundle, it's a good deal. If you aren't interested, it's a rate increase.

I was thinking of canceling the Disney bundle and going with the regular Live sub but a $3 discount definitely makes me okay with just rolling with it. I mean I guess I don’t have a choice now but yeah, it works for me. In general I’ve been very happy with Hulu Live since I got it a few months ago.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Enos Cabell posted:

Welp, didn't think the deal would actually fall through but here we are. Is HuluTV better than it was a year or two back? I had it for a while and thought it was complete garbage, especially compared to YTTV.

It has some issues here and there but I’ve been using it for months after cutting cable and I love it to death. The interface/ui design is probably my favorite of any Apple TV app, clean and minimal, and the selection is very good. I’ve had a few issues with nba games freezing up lately but it takes like 3 seconds to get it going again. I deep dove into comparisons/reviews of the various live tv streaming services and have looked back around some since and I definitely have no interest in changing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I sub full price through Hulu Live and am really happy with it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Netflix will turn into a “sub twice a year to catch up” service if t-mobile ever stops eating most of the bill for me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m selling my PC due to wanting to focus on console gaming and this has left me with an odd situation. What’s the best way to watch my media that I’d installed on an external hard drive? I have an LG C1 and a PS5, surely they can’t just play media from the drive right?

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/play-video-music-discs-usb-drives/#video

You should be able to do that on the PS5 just fine as long as the file types are supported. Not sure if that link will bring you right to the section but there’s a good tutorial on there.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Mental Hospitality posted:

I have converted my parents off of Xfinity's overpriced tv service. They were paying close to 225 dollars a month between internet, TV., and box rentals. They've decided on Youtube TV for the time being and with their current (still Xfinity) internet, they've knocked 100 bucks a month off their bill.

Supposedly AT&T fiber is available at their place, and it looks like their 300mbps service is $55 a month. Should I try and get them to consider that as well? I think they pay $60 for 100meg Xfinity.

fwiw that $55 is mostly likely for a year or two and then it’ll go up. Definitely look into that. If they’re just doing normal internet stuff and streaming then they probably don’t need the 300mbps. Just a heads up! Good luck either way though, we got out from under the ridiculous pricing of cable/internet/tv packages down to internet + hulu live and it’s so much better.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

NotNut posted:

What would be a better device for a 70 year old, Roku, Fire TV, or an Android TV set top box?

Roku out of these, Apple TV would best imo though if that’s an option.

Source: switched my old man of the same age from cable to his first streaming box with a Roku and he took to it real quickly.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bull3964 posted:

But better video quality, more varied programming, fewer or no ads, can watch anywhere on anything, and the ability to stop any of them at any time.

And all of them combined are still barely the cost of the most basic cable package.

Cost was never the biggest thing.

Also, Sling TV IS cable TV basically, so the graphic isn't even all that accurate.

:yeah:

Cost was a big factor for me and it’s far better with streaming too.

It’s not a perfect system but it’s so much better than the old cable setup.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

EL BROMANCE posted:

My local sports provider, Bally, now offer a streaming option for its channels which is great. But in typical ‘oh you think streaming is designed to benefit you and not us?’ fashion, if you want to see both the local hockey and basketball coverage you have to buy two separate packages at $19.99 each. So about 2/3 of my existing cable bill for 198 less channels. Eat a loving dick.

I just want to watch Magic games in an easy and reasonable way :negative:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve never been into the idea of RedZone at all because I like watching full games live of all sports or catching up via highlights. I had though wrongly assumed it was just going to show red zone situations. I read over the wikipedia and god drat that’s awesome. It sounds like a really well thought out setup and a lot of fun in general. Still not quite for me but that’s cool!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mobby_6kl posted:

Crossposting from the Android thread as they pointed me to here. And suggested to just get a Chromecast :v:. I'm considering it now but to consider the other options too:

I'm trying to figure out what budget box to get for my parents. Most Aliexpress stuff comes with various mystery CPUs like
  • Allwinner H3
  • Rockchip RK3318
  • Allwinner H618
  • Amlogic S905W2
  • Amlogic S905X4 / X2-B
but it's hard to figure out what's what because Gamers Nexus doesn't have neat charts for them. I tried to roughly arrange them in order of increased performance, does this make sense? Which one would be suitable for playing 1080p streams or youtubes, and have reasonably responsive UI for navigation or browsing?

Get them a Roku if you want something cheap. Don’t bother with garbage off of Aliexpress imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s still nowhere even near as bad.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Blackouts need to get shoved the gently caress out asap

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only reason I still have Netflix is because T-Mobile covers most of the price. It’s the definition of a “sub when you’re ready to catch up” service for me without that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OldSenileGuy posted:

Been watching Gen V lately on Amazon Prime and Prime definitely holds the crown for streaming service with the lowest 4K HDR picture quality. There's a ton of visible compression, to the point where I see almost a rainbow effect in some of the noise sometimes. And this isn't new either, I've seen this for a while with Prime content, but it feels like it's gotten worse with Gen V.

Really? Prime has always been pretty good on that end for me. I’ve been watching The Boys and it looks great but maybe it varies show to show.

Apple TV+ is definitely the gold standard though. I love how hard they commit to the quality of their shows whether it’s the production budget or the bitrate.