Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just decided to cut the TV portion from my Comcast contract, going with gigabit internet-only. So, I need to figure out which of these streaming services I want to get.

Right now, I think DirecTV Now makes the most sense. I can get every channel I want except the NFL Network for $40/month, and add HBO for just $5. Hulu is competitive, although losing AMC and adding HBO costing more kinda sucks. Is either of these two services considered notably better than the other in terms of picture quality and service reliability?

Also, I've never actually used a Roku device before. I think I would want a Roku Ultra for the living room where the router is so that I can take advantage of the ethernet port for that TV, and a Roku Streaming Stick+ for the bedroom where I'd need to use a Wi-Fi connection. Does that make sense, or am I misunderstanding how these work?

In terms of how that would work, would I use the little Roku remote to navigate to a DirectTV Now app or Hulu Live app, and then once I'm in that app it's like I'm channel surfing like normal?

Are these streaming services sending in an HD signal? Or is it all standard definition?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I ended up getting the Roku Ultra. Haven't started any of the free trials yet, but I did get the Pluto and Tubi channels and I'm pretty impressed by them. Lot of good content here. There's also a channel that seems to solely be women dancing around a beach in bikinis, so, good luck matching that, Hulu.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I've really enjoyed Hulu Live TV, but I wish there was an easier way to make it actually live (or as close to it as a streaming service is going to get). Is there any setting I could change on the Hulu side, or any shortcut I could use on my Roku, in order to force it back to live when it falls behind? Or do I just have to scroll forward manually every time?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Grant DaNasty posted:

Why not just get them a Roku stick and a cheap tablet for internet browsing?

Browsing on a TV sounds horrible.

Browsing GameFAQs on WebTV in the late '90s at my grandparents' house was the raddest poo poo imaginable. :colbert:

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I've been on Hulu Live for the past couple of years, but I feel like its channel lineup isn't comparable at this point with YouTube TV.

I've been thinking about switching over and just keeping regular Hulu for the backlog, but I have what feels like an incredibly dumb question: do I lose anything other than their live TV channels by going from Hulu Live to regular Hulu? Like, will anything in the "My Stuff" watchlist not be accessible or something? I realize that I'll lose anything in my DVR that was only available live, but I guess I'm wondering if Hulu's library is enhanced or expanded in some way if you also have Live that I'm missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Your library currently has all of the station On demand stuff that's not necessarily part of the regular hulu catalog. So you could end up losing stuff.

Thank you for phrasing it in a smart way instead of the extremely confusing way I was phrasing it!

Dang. I wish it was easier to see which items are on-demand and which are catalog.