Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Croatoan posted:

I'm curious. I just downgraded to internet only with Comcast. I wonder what they charge in different areas for the same service. I am now paying $69.98/month for 150mbps down. Anyone?

$110/month for 300mbps + mandatory non-HD cable is the lowest they'd go for me. The best part is they told me the plan was something like $50 a month so the rest is fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rastor posted:

that's nuts, you should see if you can get the complete Comcast price sheet for your zip code. Sometimes there's like a 75mbps + HBO bundle for $80/month, it varies wildly by area though.

How do I get that? Google doesn't show anything when I look it up. Comcast rigged their site not to show internet-only plans so I'm dependent on what their phone rep tells me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

You can definitely see internet only plans on Comcast. It's rear end backwards designed but it's definitely there

Old post but here's what shows up when I select Internet only:

A large ad for a bundle package and "0 internet offers" in tiny print.

Comcast has gigabit in my area now but only advertises it in $160/mo. packages with the top-tier TV service. I'm curious if they even offer the internet subscription by itself.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 26, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FCKGW posted:

If you google “<isp> rate card” you can usually get a pdf or table with all the rates and information, including basic cable and low income internet rates that aren’t advertised on their site.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/rate-card/

Oh sweet, I thought I had tried searching that but got nothing. In fact if I tried "Comcast rate card" and "Xfinity rate card" just now and that link was nowhere to be seen.Thanks!

My city legalized municipal broadband a year ago but so far nobody's stepped up to the plate. I'm sure realistic competition (lol CenturyLink) is still 5-10 years away.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 27, 2019

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have the 2017 Shield and there’s not much in the way of specs pushing me hard to get a new one. At best I might just get the new remote because the current one is absolute trash.

The new remote looks like it has a nightmare button layout. You can get $10 Bluetooth/2.4ghz remotes on Amazon that feel way nicer than the basic Shield remote, or even buy the one for the Fire TV.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

H110Hawk posted:

Gotta boost those first year subscriber rates. This is a joke akin to when HBO couldn't figure out how to get GoT premier to stream at minute 0. It's THE CLOUD and you can and should have 1000% capacity online to smooth that first minute bump, then shoot it all once the peak shows signs of leveling off and subsiding. You basically call Akamai and offer to pay them whatever they ask, but these companies don't believe in planning and foresight only subscriber numbers. It's not even likely the bandwidth that is the issue, they push all that to local caches at ISPs, it's authentication. That's brute force computing power and lower bandwidth. For that you call Microsoft and offer to put their name on the launch in exchange for free computing power to handle authentication (username & password) and authorization (DRM) handshakes.

Hulu is not a case study in how to run a streaming service.

“So the cloud lets me scale up but I still have to pay a ton of money?” is about how far that idea goes. I doubt they think people will cancel their subscriptions over first-day problems.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MorrisBae posted:

Is there a reason why ISP's don't just switch to 4G/5G internet without caps as opposed to offering Fiber/Cable/DSL? Wouldn't the completely wireless infrastructure be cheaper for them to maintain?

With the mobile hotspots available from Verizon/ATT/etc., that appears to be where things are headed, but the prices are comparable to cell plans with throttling after a certain usage

Caps are arbitrary and not based on some resource limitation or cost. The wireless providers all have insanely low caps before de-prioritizing the poo poo out of your connection, anyway, so I don't know why you'd use them as a model.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Luceo posted:

I haven't had any problems with Hulu since I sideloaded the old version of their app on my Shield TV, from before the awful new UI.

It's truly awful. It's like it actively fights against trying to watch anything but the latest episode of a show.

At least they fixed the issue that caused 3rd party controllers to not be able to select anything within the app

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can’t believe Hulu actively tries to hide the episode list from you

Only showing a couple shows at a time in the while screen is a secondary but still terrible usability issue

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Luceo posted:

Last year, when Hulu first released their horrible neon green UI, I sideloaded the previous version on my Shield and turned off auto-updates.

They just did a new UI update that's way better

Still a terrible use of screen real estate but.... it's better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GI_Clutch posted:

Man, if I could make one change to Pluto TV, it would be to remove all of the right wing nut job channels. Or at least remove all of the loving commercials for them. Those America's Voice commercials are practically Trump campaign ads. Barf.

Last year the commercial breaks were non-stop propaganda against healthcare. Now they're rolling white supremacist trash into their own channels and advertising them everywhere.

gently caress Pluto.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fwiw I've been enjoying the poo poo out of this $15 2.4ghz remote for my Shield for the last couple years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P322VRP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

insane battery life and no sleep/wake issues. it even has a gyro mouse and microphone.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

So my dog really likes watching tv. It keeps her calm and distracted from OUTSIDE NOISE anxiety and whatnot. We're about to switch over from cable to an apple tv 4th gen in the room she usually hangs out in. I'm drawing a blank on good free apps that can just sit running live 24/7 other than pluto tv. Pluto is a perfect option sure but seems to have some weeks where it likes to freeze/hang on so alternatives are handy.

If your TV has access to IPTV channels there's ones for pet entertainment.

I'd say Locast for local stuff but it'll time out after a bit and ask if you're still watching.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This loving sucks. I don't get antenna reception where I am and I was loving Locast.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

loquacius posted:

Is snaking coaxial cable from an attic antenna down into my living room, like, possible for a layman or am I just gonna get myself trapped in my wall or something

You're gonna be cutting a lot of drywall to gain access to drill through studs, top plates and bottom plates to get it where you need. Alternatively you could run the cable outside the attic and along the exterior of your house.

It's why I just said "gently caress it" and subbed to YouTube TV when I got sick of my window antenna's poor reception.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Nah, cut your drywall hole where you want the cable to run (next to a stud so you can mount a box). In the attic drill a hole at the top next to your target stud and then feed the cable down. It should be fairly easy to fish the cable out to attach to a connector. Also, do an inside wall if you can so you're not fighting with insulation.

Yeah this kind of stuff was a lot easier when I lived in a ranch home and also had a full length attic. In my current place I'd have to cross a ton of studs to get a cable down from the attic and across the house into the first floor living room.

The previous owners went with the "gently caress it, run it outside" approach for the satellite.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 11, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Anyone else have an older Shield that's been acting funky with Plex for the last few months? Mine will sometimes hang at logging in if I previously was in Plex and watching shows and then backed my way out and launched a different app. I'll have to force stop Plex to get it behaving correctly again. Also sometimes things won't start to play when I select them, I'll have to stop and restart to get the stream to launch.

I just saw an update to 9.01 that says it addresses some Plex issue.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

F.D. Signifier posted:

Hold on now, can you say you love your parents if you don't get them a hexagonal shaped android tv 4G 64GB T95Z PLUS TVBOX Allwinner h618 Dual Band Wifi6 1080P BT 6K 2022 Media Player Set Top Box with RGB lighting and a FREE MINI KEYBOARD?

The remote they show here is awesome, I bought one for like $15 to use with my Shield.

Yeah it makes a high pitched whining noise at all times, but it’s a good remote

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

How's that? (I genuinely don't know / rarely watch anything in 4k)

It's variable/low-bitrate 4k so image quality is poor with lots of compression artifacts, particularly in dark and complex scenes (like in a nature documentary).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Streaming companies are really struggling to justify that tech company valuation with the rate at which human eyeballs are created huh

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/pause-ads-hulu-max-peacock-streaming-1235764850/

quote:

So-called “pause ads” — they only turn up a few seconds after a viewer has decided to halt the programming, and not every time one does — are seeing new movement in the streaming world, with the format appearing more frequently on Hulu since July, according to Josh Mattison, senior vice president of revenue management and operations for Disney Advertising. Pause ads are also in motion in venues such as NBCUniversal’s Peacock and Warner Bros. Discovery’s Max.