Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009
I ditched cable for a Roku and antenna a few weeks ago. Even though I'm not close to a large city the antenna works amazingly well.

If you have a Roku I'd highly recommend the private channel nowheretv. It is run by the same people that do the official Roku Newscaster station and media browser. It has streaming BBC 1-4, streaming CNN international, and streaming PBS from Wisconsin. It also has the latest full episodes (not just clips) of NBC nightly news and several cable news shows (Rachel Maddow, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009

Liar posted:

After you've had some time with it could you post an every-man review of it? I've been using my BluRay player, which streams Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, YouTube, and about three different VOD stations. But I hate that I have to wait for it to turn on... aka I want something I can leave on constantly. I also want more options in terms of viewing.

The Roku is always on. I'm a big Roku fan, but you won't get too many extra options for viewing compared to what you have. There are a ton of Roku channels, but the vast majority are garbage. There are lots of podcasts, religious stations, old public domain movies, indie films, and obscure anime. There are also a bunch of stations that are just the clips picked up from various websites (like the NBC news channel). Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, Crackle, and MLBtv are the main stations. The Roku newscaster station does have Al Jazeera and NasaTV streaming.

Roku also has private channels, a couple of which are worthwhile. Many stream stuff that is online, but not necessarily licensed to stream on a Roku. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Nowheretv is a private channel that has a ton of stuff, including streaming PBS, BBC, adult swim, NBC nightly news, Rachel Maddow. There isn't a public Youtube channel, but there are workarounds.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009

Liar posted:

Also that list of stations is massive... Do you have the option to favorite channels on Roku, or at least delete the ones you wouldn't watch anyway? Or do you have to scroll through everything every time?

There is a channel store that lists out all of the channels. You pick the ones you want and they appear in the main menu. By default you have Netflix, Hulu, NewsCaster, Crackle, Pandora, and probably a couple others. I forgot to mention it earlier, but I'd also highly recommend the Netflix Instant Watch Browser channel. It is only a one time payment of $3.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009

BrotherFish posted:

Would any of these solutions get me cartoon network and comedy central content? Those are probably the two stations that get the most play at my home. Would love to ditch cable/satelite.

Hulu and Netflix both carry shows from Comedy Central. Hulu has new episodes and Netflix has entire seasons a year or so after they air. Roku has a private channel called NowhereTV which will stream Adult Swim episodes from the Cartoon Network webpage. The quality is poor though.