Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Goons,

what are my options for getting NFL games without cable/dish? I've seen the Madden 25 $99 anniversary edition that comes with Sunday Ticket, but I'd like to be able to stream from my PS3, which that package doesn't seem to be able to do.

I don't care about anything other than Red Zone. I want Red Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Where is the $300 package? Can't find it anywhere.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah. I actually just want Red Zone, if that has it I am all game for just hooking up a computer or tablet to my TV.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sometimes you might have good luck asking for the Customer Retention department, not sure how that works as a non-customer. I always play the "Hey, Comcast is offering me THIS" route on them, at least with Verizon. Same thing should work vice versa with Comcast, though.

Sucks you have to go through such extremes to just get internet access.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have the same problem where I switch between speakers, headphones, and my TV as an HDMI/Audio source all the time. I just right click the speaker icon => set as default, but I'd love something I could just toggle.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm not sure, but Plex + Chromecast is the greatest goddamn thing ever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
My setup is Roku + Plex, PS3, and HD antenna if needed. I never use the HD antenna though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Shyfted One posted:

Just ordered a Roku 3 and Chromecast. Looking forward to finally getting rid of AT&T once I get home.

The other thing I've considered getting is a Slingbox and hooking it up at my parents since then I'd finally be able to watch Flyers games at home, plus pretty much have cable just not at 1080. Would I be fine with just a 350? I probably won't do it for the cost of the 500.

Sup flyers buddy.

I actually pay for GameCenter (which is $20 a month) and then use AdFreeTime to get around the local blackouts ($3 a month.) Bonus effect of being able to watch every hockey game broadcast, which is great, since even if I'm working or whatever I still put it on as background noise.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

porksmash posted:

I've been using my Chromecast with Plex for a few weeks now and it's fantastic. I have no use for my HTPC or XBMC anymore.

Where are you storing your Plex media? This is with PlexPass, correct?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What kind of specs are on your Plex server? I'm using the one built into FreeNas and it is kind of poopy, freezing during transcoding and so on.

The FreeNas box is pretty solid too. Quad core 2.6 ghz, 8GB of RAM, SSD hard drive, etc.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Echoing what other goons have said, if you can go buy an antenna and try it first, that is your best bet.

That being said, I live in small borough and can't get poo poo on any antenna I've tried. When it does work, it is nothing but glitchy sounds and digitally distorted picture, which blows.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there any way to do continuous play from the Plex android app or the netflix android app to Chromecast?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gravy, I'm glad that will be possible. Hopefully Plex follows suite.

My favorite thing right now is to shuffle my Plex library from my computer, but I wish the app had that as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love my chromecasts, I have two. I use Plex to stream local media which works really well, and then Netflix/HBOGo for everything else.

For the price it is great, and pretty Girlfriend/Parent friendly as well.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
In addition to the other sweet updates for the Chromecast at Google IO today, NFL UK confirmed that GameCenter will support Chromecast this year.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm hoping. Last year, the Madden deal was great value, even if I had to use a work around service.

All I care about is red zone :smith:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
This thread has convinced me to get a FireTV and I haven't even looked into it at all. Is it just android? I want to sideload stuff to it!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been using NFL Game Pass (live in the US) for preseason with Adfreetime as my DNS servers and it has been great, especially with Chromecast.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Use Hola unblocker to get to NFL.com from the netherlands/afghanistan or some other place. Buy subscription, use REP15 as the promo code (rich eisen's podcast) and then you should be good.

I use Adfreetime as my DNS anyway so I don't need to be connected to hola/vpn during games.

All I really want is HD redzone so,

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah if you sign up for Game Pass from the Netherlands/Overseas you can get the package on your account.

The free thing last year was awesome but this is not that. It is still about $120 USD all things considered.

Like I said, I just want redzone.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have to use the regular 720 setting for Chromecast, even on a wired device tab-casting.

Apparently the Game Pass android app was going to have Chromecast support, but I haven't seen it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2396056 is where I had to sideload the APK from

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is the Nexus player a Fire TV competitor? I think the only thing I really "Need" in an android top box at this point is gigabit ethernet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Three Olives posted:

That is not quite what they said, I suspect people will be disappointed to find out that it was what had been rumored for a long time and just a decoupling from cable TV service not cable TV providers. So basically Time Warner/Comcast/UVerse/FiOS will be happy to add it on to your internet service instead of a TV package but you are poo poo out of luck if you don't get your internet from a company that doesn't also want to sell you TV.

I don't know that for a fact but the current wording from HBO and past rumors seem to indicate that.

This post is incorrect

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you tab cast to fire TV?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm of no help to your problem, Irritated Goat, but I've also been having hella wifi issues with my Chromecast(s). poo poo is annoying.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Don't worry, everything on Hulu is poo poo anyway. Except The Big Lebowski, which is the only thing I ever watched on Hulu. gently caress Hulu.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I don't have cable. I only have internet, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I use Bing Rewards to get my Hulu monthly subs. I also have an antenna and a DVR, so I can pretty much watch whatever I want. I have pretty much everything I need, since I don't watch sports. That setup does pretty well, since I can get everything I want.

Also rocking a similar setup, with a Plex server thrown in for good measure. I also subscribe to NHL Gamecenter Live and NFL Gamepass, since those are the only two sports I care about anyway.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That's a p. nice deal and I think I'll get another fire tv

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have HBO go through a comcast bundle in my area ($75 for ESPN Now, HBO Go and some other nonsense) plus internet. Its pretty sweet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
No issues last night with Game of Thrones, seems like they learned their lesson from last year.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
HBO "commercials" aren't bad because they are more like trailers for stuff you'll watch anyway

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Slowhanded posted:

Looks like the PGA Tour will also be joining the subscription model this year for streaming.

Hopefully it'll be reasonably priced; Golf has been a huge mainstay of cable ever since the golf channel debuted, excluding final rounds. Presumably this is more work by the PGA to skew to younger markets.

dgaf I'd pay the same amount or more for this, I pay for Gamepass and NHL, golf is the only other thing I'm jonesing to watch these days.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any way to watch the NFL draft tonight on Fire TV/Kodi?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
There are ways to get Gamepass with a DNS redirect and I did that last year, worked great. Found some other shady rear end services this year but goddamn NFL just let me give you my money. The NHL makes it so easy, not sure why the NFL can't.

What year was it where they gave the free Gamepass sub out with Madden? Because that was hella value.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Pay for Hulu Plus, still get ads. Kewl.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
can you import your Sickbeard stuff into sickrage/sonarr?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Brocktoon posted:

Xfinity app on Xbox 360

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Luceo posted:

Has anyone been successful in getting NFL Game Pass using a DNS service like Ad Free Time?

Last year I did just this, not sure if it will work this year.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The FireTV had been awesome. With Kodi it has been excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Somewhere I remember ESPN talking about offering their service direct to consumer, but I can't find it at the moment.