Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is Amazon Prime/Instant Video worth it? I was browsing through the library this weekend at my friend's place and it seems like most of the stuff isn't actually free to stream, but costs a few bucks to "rent." I always thought it would be exactly like Netflix where it's either free to stream or not available period.

(Amazon Prime is worth it I know but I'm trying to decide if I should buy it and find 4 others to split it with in SA Mart, or if I should just give my friend a couple bucks and hop onto his existing account (which means I don't have the free streaming video).)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Casyl posted:

If you buy things off of Amazon regularly, it's worth the price for free shipping alone (especially so if you're a student) and free streaming is a nice bonus. If you already have Netflix and don't buy much off of Amazon, it's probably not worth it.

Yeah, like I said I was going to get Prime regardless. I don't think I buy enough to warrant the full $79 price for it, but I see goons are selling "family" spots in SA-Mart for $16 or less which looks like they get all the same features minus the Instant Video streaming cause that's just for the primary account. Was just debating if I should buy in on an existing account and skip the Instant Video, or if I should buy Prime for $79 and split it with others.

So far the Amazon app on PS3 completely sucks and is really slow, and most of the things I search for are only available to rent. I have Netflix for streaming and I've never looked into it, but I think iTunes has more or less the same movie/show library if I want to rent a movie right? So it looks like I'll just buy in on an existing account unless someone else can convince me otherwise.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

We have a "Roku HD" (model 2500X on the back, this one I think) and I saw the Netflix app doesn't have Profiles. Does anyone know if this is something that Roku has to/can update?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What's the current state of affair for online movie rentals/streaming? From what I understand my choices are either Amazon or iTunes. Are movies released for online renting/streaming the same day that they're released on blurays? Do they have weird contractual bullshit like the current Netflix streaming situation where movies get pulled from the catalog?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't really understand what Aereo is. It seems like I pay them $10/month for them to install an OTA antenna for me in their building and then stream the stations to me? Do I just get the same channels if I were to buy one of those paper flex antennas in the OP?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So is a Apple TV pretty cool? Thinking about buying one.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just bought the Apple TV. Please tell me there's I way I can use my iPhone's keyboard with the Apple TV because there's no way I'm going to be able to sign into Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, and MLS using that god drat included remote and the on-screen keyboard because all my passwords are like 50 characters long with random capitalizations and symbols.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can I send stuff from VLC to my ATV?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I hope "Apple Device" means laptops too because while I have an Apple TV my roommate owns the TV and he's moving out at the end of the month.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Can I still not register/subscribe to HBO Now?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

jabro posted:

It's not out yet.

Yeah I know. I just thought they'd let people register by now to get billed starting when it comes out. Hope their servers can handle it all on one day I guess.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cool, downloaded the app on my phone and signed up. I can log onto their website on my laptop and watch stuff. They have movies and such too so that's pretty cool.

I've had no experience with HBO Go before.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I want to watch Netflix on my PC (either in Edge or the Windows 10 Netflix app) and use my iPhone as a remote.

Is there an official Netflix app or function to do this? I can't find one but maybe I missed it somehow. Barring that, is there an easy way to do this? I'd rather not bother with some kind of remote desktop app because I don't want to deal with navigating two 1200p monitors on my iPhone. I guess an app that turns my iPhone into a trackpad would work, but that doesn't seem like it would be easy to use with the Netflix app/website.

e: Specifically I want to browse for shows on my iPhone and play said show on my computer. I've found some things about being able to do this... but with a TV.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 14, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

When watching Netflix on your PC, it is best to browse using said PC, which is literally right in front of you.

TheScott2K posted:

Please respect his dumb gooberish Netflix setup that he needs because reasons probably involving a janky pirate streaming setup.

Or you know, one of my computers is set up in my bedroom and I can see the screen comfortably laying in bed and being able to control my Netflix on my computer like it were on a TV would be super useful for when I'm sleeping in and just wanna watch TV without leaving my bed. Or whatever, it's because I'm stealing my neighbors Netflix by proxying into their computer via tor and bitcoins.

teagone posted:

Spend $35 and get a Chromecast. Hook it up to an HDMI port on one of your monitors. I'm assuming your monitors have built in speakers. If your monitors don't have built-in speakers, you can get an HDMI to audio splitter or something.

The monitor doesn't have built in speakers but thanks I guess chromecast could work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

How good is content discovery/aggregation among the various streaming boxes now? As in if I had a Prime, Hulu, and Netflix accounts, if I searched for tv show x or movie y at the “home/dashboard” screen are these boxes smart and fast enough to stream from whatever sources provide it for free, and failing that give me a one(ish) button to purchase it from wherever for instant streaming?

I’ve never used a streaming box or had a tv in a while but I vaguely remember needing to search in the Netflix app on Roku to find something on Netflix and so on.

I also noticed that the newest season of Mr Robot is on iTunes. Is it safe to assume that tv shows are gonna be available for purchase (to stream) immediately nowadays from iTunes/amazon etc in tyool 2017 or is it still a crapshoot?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Sounds like an idea for a new startup.

“CBLSRCH - Expedia for Cable Television.”

Anyone wanna get internet rich and found a startup with me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

CABLR, and it's not a site it's an app.

bull3964 posted:

Pfft. It's a site with an API.

TheScott2K posted:

With a top-screen ad banner and permissions that make it very clear that your data is for sale.

Are you guys serious here because I am failing to find what you guys are talking about on Google. The only thing I can actually find is cablr.cab which looks like yet another Uber-like service.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Minidust posted:

Dumb question but does anyone know of like a tiny LCD clock that's easy to stick on a flat surface inside an entertainment center/TV stand? Jumped on PS Vue earlier this month, and the glowing clock on the old STB is literally the only thing I miss about having cable.

https://www.amazon.com/s/field-keywords=lcd+clock

?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

A long while ago I remember being able to get free Hulu every month from just doing a few searches everyday with Bing. Is this still possible today?

E: So I see that I can buy a $25 Hulu gift card with microsoft/bing rewards but it looks like it’ll take 2-3 months to get enough points to do so. Can I use this $25 gift card to pay for the $13 Hulu w/ Disney+ plan?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 17, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Maybe? Hit up their support. For the past two years, Hulu has had Black Friday promos. BF 2018 it 99 cents a month for 12 months. BF 2019 it was 1.99 a month for 12 months. They might have something similar this year.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it. The Microsoft rewards seems like a huge pain in the rear end to do now that they changed it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

A long while ago I remember being able to get free Hulu every month from just doing a few searches everyday with Bing. Is this still possible today?

E: So I see that I can buy a $25 Hulu gift card with microsoft/bing rewards but it looks like it’ll take 2-3 months to get enough points to do so. Can I use this $25 gift card to pay for the $13 Hulu w/ Disney+ plan?

Just a quick update cause the situation isn't as dire as I assumed. I think it's still possible to get Hulu for free with Microsoft Rewards unless there's something I'm missing (like the Hulu gift card reward being one-time only or something).

The math works out so that you can get 200 (mobile) + 150 (desktop) + 20 (using Edge browser) = 370 points/day for a total of 74 searches. You also get at least 30 points a day via their daily bonus rewards that require nothing but clicking on them and answering a quiz that you don't even need to get right (i.e., just keep choosing (a) as the answer). And every 3 days you get bonuses for keeping your streak active. There are also occasional other rewards that give like 30+ a day that all you have to do is tap on the link.

So let's just say 400 points/day to be conservative. At 400 points/day, you'll be able to claim the $25 gift card every 2-3 months. So let's say 3 months. Hulu is only $6 + tax so let's say $8 total. Even with these conservative estimates you'd be able to get enough Hulubux to pay for it once you get enough points to buy the gift card the first time.

How much time investment does this take? Like 2-3 minutes a day if that. I just downloaded the Edge browser on my iPhone and iPad. On my iPhone I need to do 44 searches. With swipe typing (or swiftkey or whatever) I just swipe my fingers around the screen until a random word is spelled out and hit enter. As soon as the page starts loading I just tap on the address bar and swipe random letters again and repeat. This takes like ~1 minute. Then on my iPad, using the Edge browser, I just do cmd+L to focus on the address bar and type in random characters ("dfkgjdklj") and hit enter, and then I repeat that 29 more times. Sometimes you get a daily quiz that rewards you for correct answers only, but honestly it doesn't even matter because at most that's 50 points that you can make up for the next day via the streak bonus.

e: I haven't earned enough to claim the $25 yet so I have no idea if this actually works, but going by the math it should be possible at a very very minimal time investment per day.

e2: Is it even worth it? Eh, I dunno. But I can do the iPhone searches by just swiping my fingers all over my phone in a minute so. If I had to try even harder then I wouldn't bother.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 1, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

E: wrong thread

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What services out there allow you to legitimately pool multiple accounts together under one payer?

Does something like Netflix Household exists where I can attach my personal account to it (bumping up the price that the Netflix Household Account holder plays), and others could too. We could all have our own watch lists and favorites and one day if I move I can just bring my account with all my history with me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

jokes posted:

Yeah just have different profiles for each person.

Oh you mean an account separate from a subscription? I don’t think that exists.

Yeah. Tired of the situation of building up a curated list and the moving out to another house now you’re being recommended Lost In Space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does the current Chromecast support Apple TV+ “natively” or would I need to stream it from my iPhone? I see promo pictures of it showing Ted Lasso so I guess so but it doesn’t explicitly say.

Does AirPlay from iOS/macOS to Chromecast work?

E: the current Chromecast being the white dongle with the remote for like $40. That’s what I see on target anyway.