Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Medullah posted:

Hulu is included free with a few Sprint plans too, with no real option to upgrade to the ad free plan discounted.

Spotify just rolled this out for anyone with Premium. It's nice I guess, but it sucks that you don't have a way to go ad free. I didn't even know Hulu had moved away from a free tier of service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I recently noticed that our Sony Android TV had the option to add Sling as a channel source, similar to Google Play Movies & TV and Haystack TV. It's been there for a few months now, but any time I try to add it in I get an error about the feature not being enabled. I've done some looking around, but haven't been able to phrase the query in such a way that google results aren't useless. Does anyone know anything about this?

Edit: Naturally I found this right after posting.

Warbird fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 20, 2020

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is that just included in the usually subscription of HBO Max or is it an additional fee like Disney is doing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sling has had a thing for integrating as a “channel” input for our tv for like a year and a half and they haven’t enabled it yet. Drives me goddamn nuts. Our former roommate works for Dish or whoever owns them and hooked us up so I can’t really complain. Though goddamn I wish they’d get that going and fix their Oculus app.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Apparently the new season of good eats is a d+ exclusive. Idk about the rest of that stuff but that’s about enough to get me to try it alone.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

HDHomerun has “free” DVR by way of Plex. Assuming you have Plex Pass that is.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

So, not free

Given how long I’ve had that lifetime access it may as well be.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sling having floated the option of integration into AndroidTV as a channel source and never actually doing it drives me batty.

Meanwhile the Chromecast TV does it don’t and it’s great. Dammit.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

If you have any outlets in the attic you could hook your network tuner into a powerline adapter and leave it all up there.

It bears mentioning that attic temps and humidity ranges are usually well outside the recommended range of most power line adapters and HDHomeRuns. I’ve been thinking about doing something similar for a bit but that’s fairly expensive tech to risk ruining. Frankly I’m thinking about getting a exterior antenna and running to coax down to a lower level and hooking that into a HDHR.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Agreed. Always always always get the call ID/ticket/incident number or whatever when you talk to them and note it down somewhere. Then if things get a bit different than agreed upon you call/email back and provide receipts that will usually make them hop to whatever they were supposed to do. Telecom IT is a nightmare so it wouldn’t be beyond the pale for someone to have screwed up and the whole business got memory holed.

Some years back I got a similar runaround with Comcast and a router upgrade. Kept the ids and used that “Email the Vice President” thing they had at the time and said “You all said x, y, z on calls q, r, s. What’s up?” and it was sorted within 2 days. Got the direct line to the local repair tech as well which was nice. Remember, flies with sugar and so forth.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Our Sony TV outsources the OTA guide info to some company they don’t own anymore and the guide experience is just rear end now. You’d think that something could be tweaked to use a different provider since it’s all just android but apparently not. Do any of the manufacturers have a decent OTA interface?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

So you can run an adblocker at the DNS level but that won’t be much help to you as most ad serving video providers pull their ads from the same DNS as the actual content.

Browser based ad blocking doesn’t work the same way and is thus able to work as you’d expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Does anyone have a recommendation for an IPTV viewer I can toss on my Sony Android TV? I've been playing around with services to stream out my local content and while I'll likely use some proxy nonsense to get it all bundled together into Plex with my actual antenna stuff I'd like to be able to toss it on without being assed to type in URLs into VLC. Bonus points if they can be hooked into the "live" section like you can with SlingTV.