Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm probably going to try Aereo in the next month or so as part of my cord-cutting experiment, so I'll update you all then on how well it works.

Does anyone know if, when using HBOGO, you have to be on the network that you subscribe to? For example, if my parents have Comcast, and my Internet is through Time Warner, will I be able to use their login at my house? HBO is the one sticking factor that's keeping me from cord-cutting, but if I can just use their login, everything will be great. And HBO doesn't seem to care either, as seen at https://www.takemymoneyhbo.com

Also, I'm wondering how VPN services like the one in the OP or the one at https://www.witopia.net work. Say I subscribe to their service, and route my network traffic through a Dallas location. They assign me a static IP in Dallas, so that my location appears to be in Dallas. Do they have a range of IPs to assign people? Is there a finite number of them?

My reasoning behind this is that I'm trying to use a VPN to get around local blackouts on NHL Gamecenter Live. Obviously, this goes against their TOS. I don't know how active they are in looking for this sort of thing, but is it plausible that they could identify certain IPs as belonging to a VPN company and blacklist them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is this the place to talk about Antenna chat?

Recently I discovered that I wouldn't be able to use my Tivo with the free cable coming into the house, so antenna is the way to go. I live in Queens, so distance from the transmitter isn't a problem, but I'm still getting an unstable signal. Admittedly, my apartment faces East while the signal is coming from the West, but I was still hoping for a more stable broadcast.

Right now I'm just using a cheap rabbit ears + loop antenna of a similar style to this one:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-ANT121-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B00009W3E2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1344566912&sr=1-3&keywords=rabbit+ears

According to AntennaWeb, I should be using a small multi-directional antenna. Does anyone have any experience with these to be able to recommend one? Or even enough information or knowledge to know if using a different type of antenna will help me get a better signal?

Additionally, are those signal boosting devices they sell at Radio Shack worth a drat, or are they snake oil? I actually read something somewhere that being in the city area, my problem isn't low signal, but crowded airwaves, and using a signal booster could make it even worse. Any truth to this?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Does anyone use a TiVo + antenna? Is it worth it?

I'd like an on screen guide for the dozen or so channels I get, and dvr functionality would be great.

I used a Tivo + antenna for a year. It was pretty great, but ultimately still hurt to pay $15 bucks a month for something I didn't even use that much.

Lately i've seriously been looking at the Channel Master DVR+ :

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

It's basically a 2-tuner DVR for OTA broadcasts with on screen guide, but no monthly fee. $250 is a bit steep for me right now for a luxury item like that, but if it ever comes down in price, I'd be all over it.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

geera posted:

My wife and I are thinking about cutting cable, but would still like to have some kind of DVR and guide functionality for OTA channels, plus the usual apps like Netflix, etc. We have an Apple TV now and use Airplay all the time from our iPad. It kinda seems like the dream box for us would be an Apple TV / Roku 3 + OTA DVR. Does anything like this exist?

Sounds like what you want is the Channel Master DVR+. Which is a funny coincidence, because I was coming here to post to ask if anyone has experience with this box. When I first cut the cord, I got a TiVo HD Premiere for OTA broadcasts only. I cancelled it as soon as I could, because while it was nice to have, it wasn't nice enough to justify the 15/20 dollars a month. This box would be great, as long as it works.

http://www.channelmaster.com/Products_s/329.htm

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Three Olives posted:

I would agree with you on the Premiere but the Roamio is a huge step up and worth the money for OTA, 4 tuners, Netflix, Hulu+, Youtube, great interface, built in WiFi.

I would agree with you if I was starting from scratch. But the Roamio is 500 bucks with a lifetime subscription, which is a lot of up front cash to front when you consider I already have a box for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, etc and therefore will never use that in the Roamio.

I will admit though, $250 is still a pretty steep price for the Channel Master DVR+, especially when you consider that you'll still need to add an external drive to it if you want to record more than ~2 hours. That's the main reason I haven't bought one yet.

EDIT: Wow, apparently the Roamio is 200 bucks for the hardware PLUS 500 bucks for the lifetime subscription. So take everything I said about it being too expensive, and bold it or something.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 24, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Is there a site that catalogues what content is available in what Netflix region? I use unblock-us to get some British content on Netflix from time to time, but often I'll leave it set to UK and go "whoops this other thing I'm looking for isn't available", but only after searching. I'd love to be able to type in a title on a website and see whether I need to change my Netflix region first.

https://www.moreflicks.com

I also wish there was a site where I can browse what's available in each region, but this works pretty well when I'm looking for a specific title and want to see if it's available in ANY region.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The TiVo Roamio OTA is now available with lifetime service. I've never used the Channelmaster myself, but the Tivo is probably better.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

But there's a fee, right?

No monthly fees if you get the lifetime service. It's about $100 more than the ChannelMaster, but I think the ChannelMaster doesn't come with any storage. So assuming you needed to buy a hard drive for the ChannelMaster, the price difference would be somewhat negligible.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

Dorectvnow barely working for anyone else right now? I have channels with no sound etc

Mine was definitely hosed up about an hour, hour and a half ago. Seems ok now, though.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Obligatory “ I hate the new UI” post.

The new layout is fine, but I hate that it’s black on white now, instead of white on black like it was.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What was that website where you can specify what channels are most important to you and it tells you which streaming service to get? Google is coming up empty for me.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

The problem with ATV is right now it can't display newer Netflix content correctly. Netflix went to pure 24fps for a lot of their newer originals rather than the legacy 23.976 fps that's traditionally been used (which is a holdover hack of putting color in NTSC.)

AppleTV takes the 24fps source and then displays it at 23.976fps which creates a frame hitch and potential slight loss of audio sync every few minutes.

THANK YOU for posting this! I’ve been noticing intermittent frame jumps on some of my media for months now, but it happened seemingly so randomly that I could never figure out what was causing it. My theory was that it had something to do with the tv and the streaming device not being on the same page framerate-wise, but I was never able to completely diagnose what was happening or why it was happening. After reading extensively about this issue, this is almost certainly it. So thanks!!

And hopefully Apple fixes it in tvOS 14.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I probably would have been able to diagnose it a lot sooner if LG would just show the drat refresh rate in the GUI.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Even on the no-ads plan, you get 15 second preroll for other shows on the service. I'm already subscribing to the service, I don't need to see ads to get me to subscribe to the service.

Everything I would have expected from Comcast sadly.

I mean, this isn't exactly unique to Peacock. Amazon already does this, and I've definitely seen it on HBO Max and maybe CBS All Access too. Netflix seems to be the only ones that reliably don't do this.

bull3964 posted:

And it doesn't appear that there's 5.1 sound support. What.A.loving.Joke. You do not launch a paid premium streaming service in 2020 without Dolby Digital Plus streaming.

Hulu still doesn't have 5.1 support on the AppleTV app. I had to watch Palm Springs in stereo like a loving CAVEMAN.

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jul 15, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hm, I can't figure out how to log in with my parents' Xfinity information. I tried making an account and then linking it to my parents' Xfinity account, but it told me that Xfinity account was already linked to a Peacock subscription. Since there's exactly zero chance my parents have signed up for Peacock, I thought maybe I just needed to sign into Peacock directly with their Xfinity credentials. Still no go.

Perhaps I will not be watching anything on Peacock.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I wish there was a website that kept an up-to-date database of the streaming quality of all the different streaming options out there. For example, I just started watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max. I liked it enough that I signed up for a month of DC Universe so I could watch it in HDR. However, despite being in HDR, the stream seems much lower quality on DC Universe. I don't know if it's a bitrate thing, or if DCU is streaming HD while HBOMax is streaming 4k, or what, but I definitely see a noticeable dip in video quality on DCU.

I guess what I'd really like is for some kind of "stream metadata viewer" that could tell me, among other things, the bitrate and resolution of the video I'm currently streaming to be built directly into tvOS on the AppleTV, but I won't hold my breath for that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

bull3964 posted:

DCU is actually streaming 4k while HBO Max is only HD. However, I've found HBO Max to be very high quality. They upped the bitrate significantly when they switched over from HBO Now. I'm not the only one that noticed either.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1590578825

I saw online that DCU was 4K, but on the splash page for Doom Patrol it just says "HD 5.1". I looked around to see if maybe DCU does the same batshit stupid thing that Amazon does where they have separate listings for the HD and UHD versions of the show, but I didn't find any so I assume it's just a labeling error.

But this brings me back to my initial complaint of not having an easy way to view stream metadata info on ATV. From following your link I found out that there actually is a way to view the information, but it's buried deep in the settings and not something I can easily toggle on and off while viewing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Wasn't there supposed to be an update to the Hulu interface that rolled out like a month ago? I never got that on my ATV.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Astro7x posted:

Maybe this is like Disney Plus where it shows you what is compatible with your device. Is it possible that it's in Dolby Vision or something that's not compatible with your TV?

I'm using a ATV4k on an LG C8, so whatever the highest quality there is should be supported. FWIW, the show doesn't trigger Dolby Vision but it does trigger HDR. I just assume DCU doesn't have Dolby Vision, same as Amazon.

I'm planning on doing whatever I need to do to get the stream metadata information thingy working on my ATV (I need to load Xcode on my Mac or something), I just haven't done it yet.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I still don't understand why the "HBO" (formerly HBO Now I think?) app exists. Why would anyone subscribe to HBO but not HBO Max? I don't think it's even cheaper?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I want to get streaming boxes for the other rooms of my house. I love my AppleTV and would be very happy to have one in every room, but I'm not happy with them costing like $150 each so I'm looking at Rokus.

Is it true that you have to sign up for a Roku account and give them your credit card information even if you never intend to use it as anything but a Netflix/Plex box? That seems....pretty lovely. EDIT: Actually....I guess it's not that different from Apple TV or Amazon Fire Stick, i just overlook those because I already had accounts with them and they already had my credit card number before I bought their devices.

Also, what's up with the reviews that say things like this on Amazon:

quote:

BUYER BEWARE - I've purchased Roku players in August 2012, May 2015, and this new Stream Stick+ in 2018. When I had a problem "activating" my new Streaming Stick+, I was given a number to "Contact Support Toll Free to Activate Instantly". I called the number and was told that since I had already registered 2 other Roku devices, in order to Activate this 3rd device, I would need to pay $70.00 to have a PREMIUM account. I told them that I didn't need nor want a PREMIUM account. I asked the customer service rep, to deactivate the first Roku I purchased in 2012 and then I would only have 2 registered devices on my account. I was told that - (1) Even if I deactivated a previous Roku player or (2 )if I opened a new account, I would still have to pay the $70.00 in order to register my Streaming Stick+ .
So that is how Roku rewards it's returning long-time customer, by charging them a fee of $70.00 to activate more than 2 of their Roku devices! So, in addition to paying for the device itself, you now have to pay an extra $70.00 to use it!!!
I am hoping this review will alert other potential buyers to Roku's new policy of rewarding their repeat customers.
Patti

This sounds like some kind of scam to take advantage of clueless Boomers - but is it being run by Roku themselves or are third party sellers selling hacked Rokus on Amazon?

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 24, 2020

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Are home internet data caps something that's becoming more common, or are they on their way out?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are home internet data caps something that's becoming more common, or are they on their way out?

Sorry guys guess this is my fault

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1331109299456794624?s=21

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

otter posted:

I wish we could just pay extra for a version that has no blackouts since its not 1970 anymore.

You basically can do this. You just have to sign up for yonder.tv separately and change your DNS (if you use AppleTV this can be done at the ATV level - I'm pretty sure Roku doesn't let you specify DNS so it would have to be done at the router level which might annoy some people) and now you have no blackouts. $30 for the year.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use nhl.tv and yonder.tv to get around blackouts in the apps and websites on my TV and rokus. Works great.

Same here. But I do have a question - I use yonder.tv for it's easy DNS-based method of getting around blackouts. And I use NordVPN for my other VPN needs. But my 3-year deal that I signed with Nord is almost up and I was thinking of trying something else.

Is there a VPN service that includes a "DNS-based avoid blackouts" tool (not sure what this is actually called) so I wouldn't have to pay for two services?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does Discovery+ include all 199 seasons of House Hunters? This is important

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does Discovery+ include all 199 seasons of House Hunters? This is important

This was half a joke, but you’ve all failed me by not telling me they actually don’t have House Hunters on there at all.

They have every other permutation of House Hunters, but for OG House Hunters they only have a 24-hr streaming channel. Which is ok, but not when you get a dud couple

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm in the same boat as you, both with the "i guess, why not" free Amex subs to NYT and Peacock, and with the "3 year D+ membership being supplanted by the Bundle"

FWIW, I only switched to the Bundle because I switched to Verizon and now get the Bundle included with my Verizon plan. When I signed up for the Bundle through Verizon, it told me that my existing 3-year sub was now "on pause" and that i was now subscribed to the Bundle through Verizon.

So I assume if Verizon stops offering the Bundle with their plans and I cancel it, my 3-year D+ membership will resume (it only has about ~1 year left)

bundle

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

WhyteRyce posted:

Discovery+ is the 90 Day Fiancé House Hunters service and it kicks rear end

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’ve been watching a lot more YouTube lately, and the amount of ads is starting to get to me. I looked into signing up for YouTube Premium to remove the ads, but I literally lol’ed when I saw it’s $15/month. gently caress THAT

Has anyone done the trick where you VPN to Argentina and sign up there to only pay about $1.50 a month? Is that something that’s safe to do on my main account, or should I make a separate account specifically for that? Also, I’ve seen some places say that you need to enter an Argentinian billing address to make it work. Obviously that won’t fly with my American credit cards, but would it work if I just bought a Google Play gift card and used that to pay? Or would I specifically have to buy an Argentinian Google gift card?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah sorry for the confusion - I don't know where I got the $15/month number. I mean, I didn't make it up - I googled it and found that, but clearly it was wrong.

However, $11.99/month is still too much for me. Yeah, the "only $2/month more than Spotify" mindset does help, but I don't want to go through the hassle of switching from Spotify or using an inferior app.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

kri kri posted:

Just sign up via Argentina vpn, it’s like $1.50 a month

That's how this whole conversation started!

At this point I'm just worried about losing my account if I do it with my real account, and I don't really want to start a new account specifically for this and have to start from scratch with all my subscriptions and recommendations. So I will do nothing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Been watching Gen V lately on Amazon Prime and Prime definitely holds the crown for streaming service with the lowest 4K HDR picture quality. There's a ton of visible compression, to the point where I see almost a rainbow effect in some of the noise sometimes. And this isn't new either, I've seen this for a while with Prime content, but it feels like it's gotten worse with Gen V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve noticed this too. It’s definitely not my device or my tv.

What’s really kinda dumb is if I watch it on my iPad Pro it looks great.

What device are you using to watch it on your tv? I’m using AppleTV - maybe the tvOS app is crap, or whatever compression Amazon uses to create the versions that go to tvOS are crap.