Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Channel Master is taking pre orders for an Android TV box with built in dual OTA tuners, $99:
https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

However it doesn't include any hard drive or MicroSD card, and they haven't yet gotten approval from Netflix or Amazon Prime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Gozinbulx posted:

Is the Tivo Roamio the only OTA DVR that can pause live TV and all that stuff that people expect from DVRs? It seems every other system is a backend-frontend thing that would not be friendly for my mom.

The Roamio OTA is the older model, the newer TiVo Bolt / Bolt Vox also have versions that take OTA antenna (check before buying though, because some versions don't). TiVo is by far the most full-featured DVR (one-button commercial break skip is amazing) and also among the easiest. However you need to either pay the monthly fee or one-time "all-in" fee for the service.

An other option is an nVidia Shield Pro with an OTA tuner attached (for example the Hauppauge WinTV-dual HD can attach to the USB port). Then use the Google Live Channels app to watch and DVR shows. The advantage here is Google pays the monthly fee for Electronic Program Guide data so it's free to you after your initial purchase. The disadvantage is the DVR features are NOWHERE near what a TiVo provides, for example you can't even tell it to only tape new episodes, it can only do a one-time taping or dumbly record every episode it sees.

Edit: the Live Channels interface looks like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcdl5gWJlE0&t=35s

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 18, 2018

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Huxley posted:

We've been using a Tivo roamio OTA for the past few years to receive OTA and manage our streaming apps, and it's been wonderful up to the point where we came home this afternoon and it's dead.

Is there a different box out there that would let us both receive OTA channels and manage our streaming stuff (mostly just Hulu and Plex) on one remote/input. I would really love not to plug the antenna straight into the TV's receiver.

Hi thread, not sure if this is old news but there is now a TiVo Roamio OTA VOX:

https://www.tivo.com/shop/buy-roamio-ota-dvr

Unlike when the Roamio OTA was introduced, the lifetime subscription ("All-In Service Plan") is included standard.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've also seen that with live sports on PSVue. After the game completes and changes to a DVR recording the fast-forward / rewind works normally.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

You don't have a job and are having a hard time paying rent? And your plan is to buy a 55’’ LG OLED?

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/dont-buy-stuff/n12020

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

hulu's servers seem to be down :(

It took a gazillion retries but I was eventually able to get through it

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My wife and I are cutting the cord and we've chosen to go with Philo. It's a great package and seems to work well but lacks the E! and Bravo channels which you need for terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is.

We're going to see how it works with waiting for them to get to Hulu. For ones that don't or take too long we may have to buy individual episodes; I think it will still be an overall savings.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

My wife and I are cutting the cord and we've chosen to go with Philo. It's a great package and seems to work well but lacks the E! and Bravo channels which you need for terrible reality shows like the Kardashians and whatever else there is.

We're going to see how it works with waiting for them to get to Hulu. For ones that don't or take too long we may have to buy individual episodes; I think it will still be an overall savings.

Update: Hulu is kinda garbage and while there are still sites on the internet that say they get episodes one day later they do not. They get episodes when the next season starts to air.

However mother-in-law was willing to share her DirecTV NOW log on so wife will be able to enjoy the terrible reality shows through apps.

Said mother-in-law is really enjoying the combination of Fire TV Stick 4K and DirecTV NOW that I set her up with 2 months ago so I am kinda terrified that AT&T is going to follow through with their vow to make DirecTV NOW expensive and lovely

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Has anyone used Amazon Recast? It says it needs a FireTV device hooked up. If my dad has a FireTV on one TV, can another TV get the recorded content over the network somehow without one?
I have a Recast. It can stream to Fire TV devices and to mobile devices running the Fire TV app. The Recast can be anywhere on the network, it doesn't hook directly to the Fire TV.

For TVs that don't run Fire TV I would just get a Fire TV Stick for cheap.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks. I think my dad's only use case is to time shift sports and the news. That seems like the only use of the device too so maybe it's perfect?

A lot of the streaming cord cutter services offer local channels, but if you picked a combo that doesn't (or doesn't in your area), then yes the Recast is a good choice, just as long as you're willing to equip each TV with a Fire TV. Check how big of an antenna you'll need with a tool like tvfool.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

KingKapalone posted:

Those services don't have DVR though right?

Some don't, some charge extra for it, some include it. If you're using the suppose.tv tool, be sure to check the "DVR required" option at top.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Cornjob posted:

Isnt a “gotcha” on recast that each firetv has to be registered to one prime account?

So if i have a prime account, ant i want to share my locals with my parents in another state, their firetv/sticks will have to be fully logged into my prime, meaning well share watch history on prime content?

Their Fire TV sticks wouldn't even see the Recast because they would be on a different network, unless you established a VPN and at that point why are you not stopping to think about what you are doing

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Binary Badger posted:

So has anyone tried Locast?

http://locast.org

It only works in NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC, Baltimore, Chicago, Houston, Dallas and Denver.

All you need is a compatible browser (Google Chrome works great for me, won't work in Safari) on a Mac/PC, or download the iOS / Android client.

Lets you watch local broadcast channels (for each market) without having to set up goofy TV tuner and antenna.

Pros:
Crisp clear signal
Decent resolution
Free as in beer!
Closed captioning on iOS/Android client

Cons:
No Closed Captioning on browser
It's live video.. no play/pause, only mute and window/fullscreen toggle
10 second commercial that plays every time you start or change shows/channels

Seems that because they're giving away the video instead of charging, nobody's tried to bring them down like they did Aereo. Yet.

That makes it seem like they're skirting the law; they actually exist within a provision in copyright law for nonprofit organizations to provide “translator” TV stations as a public service.

I heard they are spending a lot more than they are getting in charitable donations, however, so it's possible this is an "enjoy it before it's gone" thing

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new DirecTV NOW packages with fewer channels for more money start later this week

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/here-is-every-channel-directv-now-plus-directv-now-max-offer/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Somewhat ironically Philo, known as the cheap/alternative service, has both DIY and HGTV. Plus FYI, which also has a few house flipping/renovating shows.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Philo has like 100% of the renovation house flipping shows but like 0% of the catty housewives table flipping shows

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Vue has good integration/support in Amazon Fire TV devices

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Oh DirectTVNow is completely dropping Cooking Channel and HGTV from all their linesups, 2 of the only 3 channels my wife watches. I'm totally gone now.

You can keep your existing plan, but you should definitely shop around because of the price going up.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Thwomp posted:

I guess it depends on what we've all been looking for since we abandoned cable.

There was a dream held by many to just get channels ŕ la carte.

That dream never came to fruition unless your selection of wanted channels just happened to coincide with a skinny bundle from SlingTV or DTVN. And even then, you were still paying for channels you didn't watch.

So if all you wanted was the ability to watch Disney-owned content or Warner-owned content, the future is bright!

But if you wanted the ability to say "I want local stations plus Food Network and maybe E! and one or two others and nothing else", then the dream continues.

Not E! but an Amazon Fire TV Recast + Philo = "local stations plus Food Network, DIY, HGTV, MTV, and Comedy Central", all with DVR, all for $16/month

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Now if you want E! and Bravo then that's a different story. If you want sports packages you're hosed

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I see that Philo supports TV Everywhere. Does that mean its channels are (can be) integrated into the TV app on an Apple TV?

TV Everywhere allows you to log in on apps provided by the channels. But I think viewing live would need to be done within the Philo app.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Fallom posted:

$110/month for 300mbps + mandatory non-HD cable is the lowest they'd go for me. The best part is they told me the plan was something like $50 a month so the rest is fees.

that's nuts, you should see if you can get the complete Comcast price sheet for your zip code. Sometimes there's like a 75mbps + HBO bundle for $80/month, it varies wildly by area though.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

fuboTV added Series Recording To its DVR. This missing feature was a major reason I didn't use them as my main source of channels, I may have to re-evaluate my services

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/fubotv-adds-series-recording-to-its-dvr/

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Interesting, so the $7/month rumor was true

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Usually with Comcast a contract is to stay with Comcast, not to stay on any particular plan. But I don't think anything they do would surprise me

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The Fire TV devices will probably be a pretty good choice once the feud with Google is resolved later this year

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

YouTube is officially back on Fire TV devices starting today.
Additionally, Amazon’s Prime Video streaming is also launching today with support for Chromecast and more widespread Android TV devices.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/9/20686773/youtube-fire-tv-prime-video-chromecast-amazon-google-launch-today-available

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Besides the Fire TV Recast, the other fee-free OTA DVR is the Sling AirTV. With a rumored revised (slightly smaller, basically) AirTV 2 on the way, refurb original AirTVs are being cleared out on Woot:

https://electronics.woot.com/offers/airtv-dual-tuner-local-channel-streamer

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

There already is an AT&T Watch TV, are they merging them or deprecating one?

Edit: The Verge tried to figure it out, still confusing

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/30/20747190/directv-now-rebrand-att-tv-streaming-app

Rastor fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 30, 2019

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah that one was a head scratcher.

Much more interesting is Orby TV. Not actually cord cutting but at least they are shaking things up.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Some of y'all think 5G is just this magic thing that's going to solve the internet.

5G is going to do the same thing 4G did - make cell phones work better in populated areas. That's it.

No really though, T-Mobile is planning to use their 5G network to be the next Comcast

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/17886574/t-mobile-in-home-internet-sprint-5g-goals-charter-comcast

Now how much of an improvement it is to have another Comcast is a different question

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

No. Only streaming off the box.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The interface on Vue is not the best, and the way the DVR works takes some getting used to, but the steaming works reliably and the prices/packages worked out for me, I've been satisfied

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

My wife watches on demand on Vue all the time

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

On Xfinity, FIOS, and DirecTV, it's also HDR:
https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/26/20884246/nfl-4k-hdr-broadcast-first-ever-fox-sports-thursday-night-football-streaming

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

a mysterious cloak posted:

Now to start shopping again. I don't even remember what's out there now.

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

is there any hive mind on the best fallback option(s) these days? or what to avoid? or is it too subjective overall and I’ll need to redo the comparison we did at the outset?

It looks like the https://www.suppose.tv tool has been updated to not include PlayStation Vue.

Remember that you have through January, maybe there will be Black Friday / end of year special offers to come from the other services

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It leaked onto Amazon early, but Dish/SlingTV have now officially announced the AirTV 2

https://twitter.com/9to5toys/status/1207017157202194434

For those who don't know what this is, it's a network DVR that lets you record OTA programming and stream it to sets around your house. If you have Sling, the OTA channels get seamlessly integrated into your guide.

The main improvement of this new version is a slimmer build but it also adds 802.11ac WiFi support.

With the AirTV you have to provide your own USB hard drive, but you don't have to pay a program guide subscription, so it's free after the initial setup costs.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

If I don't have Sling can I just use it as an OTA DVR without a monthly?

Sub question: since Sling integrates with OneGuide on Xbone, would this give me a way to put OTA channels in my Xbone's OneGuide without having to use the USB tuner?

You can technically, but the AirTV standalone apps are not as good and not available on as many platforms as the Sling apps.

Unfortunately I believe Xbox One is one of those unsupported platforms. You're stuck with Microsoft approved methods like the USB tuner.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

8-bit Miniboss posted:

In the spirit of Christmas, I just received an email from Sling that they are increasing prices.

So going into 2020 here are the advertised base prices for the current TV subscription services:

AT&T TV Now (includes HBO): $65
Hulu with Live TV: $55
FuboTV: $55
YouTube TV: $50
Sling TV (Blue and Orange): $45
Sling TV (Blue or Orange): $30
Philo TV: $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Who the hell asked for more MacGruber though?