Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

golgo13sf posted:

That's because what's coming through the cable is compressed to hell and back, OTA is not.

Forgot I can plug my laptop into my tv for ESPNU/ESPN360 stuff since the iPad app only works with like 5 providers.

Is swear to god, Charter customers have access to ESPN3 via computer but not through the iPad app, how loving mental is that.

If you want to use ESPN360 on anything other than a web browser on a computer, you are pretty much required to get PlayOn. PlayOn is always running specials where you can get a lifetime license with a "free" Roku. I say "free" because they usually just give you a Amazon gift card for the cost of a Roku, so if you don't actually need a Roku it's still a pretty nice deal.

Even with ESPN360 and OTA, cutting cable if you want sports isn't easy. You only get select sports games on certain days. You can get something like NBA League Pass if you like basketball, but they have blackout rules so I can't actually follow my local team with it. Like at all unless I go through a proxy (I heard this doesn't work with MLB).

PlayOn is pretty drat useful, not just for sports. It's the only way to get Hulu on your mobile devices if you don't want to pay for Hulu+. And you can stream stuff from TV channel websites too. Spike puts tons of full episodes for all their shows up on their website.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Modern Pragmatist posted:

This is where VPNs really come in handy. Just spoof your location that way and you can get around any blackout.

My friend tried that for MLB and they detected he was behind a proxy and demanded he enter his credit card biling info before continuing.

It works for NBA though.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I was watching something on Hulu yesterday on my HTPC via PlayOn. I noticed now I'm getting 3 commercials during some breaks for as much as 1:30 total. At this point I'm better off just using Xfinity On-Demand.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Thwomp posted:

If you can get the major networks OTA/through cable leaking from your internet connection, you'll get all your local sports.

:sigh: No you won't, I don't get why this keeps getting brought up unless people are talking only about football or their specific region/sport. There are effectively 0 Sacramento Kings games shown on any of the major networks. The Comcast sports channel has exclusive broadcast rights. I can't even stream via NBA League Pass broandband because of black-out rules.

I could always deal with proxies but the LP broadband app sucks anyway

I think it's the same deal with the San Jose Sharks (cable channel). I could catch the most of the Niners and Raiders game though, hooray for that I guess.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 4, 2012

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

angryrobots posted:

There is still weird stuff on the yt kids app. My kids love the "unwrapping" videos.

Why a 3 yo is fascinated by watching an adult slowly unwrap small collectible toys, is beyond me.

(But yes, there is endless content on YouTube)

My kids used to watch the Toy Scouter videos where he just took toys out of a playdough covered easter egg and described each one. It made no sense to me.

Now they've upgraded to the Toy Scouter videos where they dress up in bad superhero costumes and run around a park or the dude's house.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Uthor posted:

Are those the videos where Elsa and Spider-Man are living together? My nieces watch those and they freak me the gently caress out. They used to watch the unwrapping videos, so maybe that's how they found them.

Edit: not that the poo poo on Xfinity On Demand is much better...

Yeah, Elsa living with Spiderman, Spiderman breaking his arm, Joker stealing an egg from Batman, Spiderman and Venom fighting over an egg before they unwrap it.

The only reason why I figure they make them is that they need to keep cranking out content for hits and toy manufacturers aren't shipping them samples fast enough

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

Hulu Live TV is getting a $10 price increase. 54.99-->64.99 and ad-free is going from 60.99 to 70.99.

They're all loving expensive now and from the pricing, I think Youtube goes back to being the best option. Honestly, if you really need 'cable tv' you're probably better off with an Internet + TV bundle from your ISP.

Yeah. I switched off recently but signed up for Hulu Live TV because its impossible to watch basketball without some kind of live tv package. Right now I'm paying ~$155 for unlimited internet and Hulu. Before I was paying ~$150 after fees for internet and TV bundle. Having the unlimited and a faster plan is really nice, but TV wise using cable is a more enjoyable experience (play from beginning not available for this, pause but no fast forward allowed for that) and it's really easy to just call every year or two to get on a new promo plan

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 16, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FCKGW posted:

Sling is still relatively inexpensive but now I’m just looking at Spectrum’s internet TV plan (they have a “pick any 10 channels” plan that’s appealing) or just sharing a login with someone.

Sling was my first choice because of the price but when I put on TNT to watch a playoff game and found I couldn’t pause I said gently caress that

Sling is the only one that seems to be competing on the channel selection front like people for years were saying they wanted in regards to cable TV. But those jerks split their two base packages in such a way that I’m forced to bundle both anyway

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 17, 2020

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

I'm old enough to remember when OTA TV reception questions and tips were this thread's bread and butter. At some point "Cutting Cable" became "switching from cable to cable with buffering."

I built my own fractal design hdtv antenna way back in the day and thought it was really neat. A month or two ago I decided to throw an antenna in my attic and just bought a $35 75 mile range antenna off Amazon. I'm glad I've done both.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I think League Pass doesnt give you TNT or ESPN games, which is a lot of marquee matchups. Hehestreams is ok but I never came back because “HTML5 video!!” and “CHROMECAST!!” is a poor substitute for a proper phone or streaming box app

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

duodenum posted:

I don't understand the problem.

I use hehestreams with Safari on an iPhone, iPad, or MacBook and airplay to an AppleTV. It's fantastic quality, no blackouts, no artificial hardware restrictions, replays available from days before, no limits. It's exactly how League Pass should be.

When I'm watching on the device, not AirPlay, I just full-screen the video. No app necessary.

(edited to not be such an rear end in a top hat, sorry)

I don’t use Apple TV. On my Shield I used the chromecast but frequently ran into the annoying issue where the controls disappear, which is on top of the usual chromecast annoyances. When working out and using the tablet, the html5 web page is annoying as gently caress because the buttons are not big or easy to hit when moving compared to a proper app with a GUI designed for a tablet, at least when I used it last. I tried some of the third party channels and plex plugins but those all were flaky as hell

Hehestreams is great for the content but their ecosystem is very neckbeardy.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 7, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LastInLine posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm saying the solution if you're in that situation is to have a dedicated device for the cast that isn't the thing you're planning on playing with while watching whatever. It's not like we all don't have a ton of spare devices laying around that we can't dedicate one to using the TV.

Sounds kind of like a remote without buttons that needs to be plugged in all the time

I do get the benefits of chromecast but i never liked using it as a primary media consumption device. It’s not like there is a real cost benefit vs something like a roku

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 7, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

TMobile customers can get $10 off YT starting April 6th
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/un-carrier/turns-out-tv-is-better-with-friends

quote:

That means T-Mobile customers get exclusive access to the best pricing on the highest-rated streaming service, YouTube TV, starting at just $54.99 per month. And, access to streaming TV through Philo starting at just $10 per month for a limited time.

Looks like I'll be leaving Hulu

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FCKGW posted:

This is because they shut down their Tvision service. They just spent millions on a Superbowl ad 2 months ago!

Bold as gently caress of them to not get caught in the sunk cost fallacy and not only move the gently caress on but offer a discount on actual good service as well even though no one would care if they didn’t

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I really like the two Rokus I use on my other TVs but Fire sticks are good enough and I just switched to YT TV from Hulu and man the interface is way better so that's strike two for Roku.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

bull3964 posted:

What we really need is for hardware manufacturers to not bake services into their revenue, but that's a battle lost.

Honestly, that's what a lot of people think Roku is since it's not from Amazon or Google and plays anything therefore it must not be subsidized

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EL BROMANCE posted:

I just got the new FireStick interface this morning after putting it off after hearing feedback. Eh it's not great for sure. Luckily I only use a few apps, no more than is in the 'favorites' section so I just stick to those.

Yeah, a lot of people bitch about how they don't like Amazon shoving ads and other featured apps in front of you. Which I get. But it's two clicks down and you are in your favorites bar which has all the stuff you care about anyway. It's annoying but I'd rather deal with that than going back to Hulu Live TV's bad UI and it's way cheaper than something like a Shield TV

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 26, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

This sucks, because we just finally cut the cord with Spectrum cable in favor of a YouTube TV subscription through our Roku Express device.

Is there any hope of an agreement, or am I going to have to cancel YouTube TV and get something else? We just own one TV with the Roku Express, and we're not going to hook our laptops up to the TV just to watch YouTube TV through them.

A fire stick is dirt cheap and streams the same stuff just fine. Don’t let a $30 device dictate your choice of something that costs even more per month

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The United States posted:

Have Fire Sticks run into any of these disputes yet? I know they don't have Spectrum.

I think they don’t have Peacock except via side load and of course the famous Google dispute in the past.

Streaming devices are cheap enough I don’t bat an eye at having to spend another $30 on a backup streaming device for a TV because the experience is still cheaper and better than an HTPC

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

No device is quirk or issue free. Shield is the gold standard for many but you’ll run in to random rear end quirks that take forever to fix (Hulu) or find that some apps just aren’t there because it’s some Android TV device and who the gently caress uses those I only employ 2 programmers for the app they don’t have time to chase these niche devices

poo poo, I think Shield TV had some color switching bug that took forever to fix and made HDR a pain to use despite it being a selling point of the device because Google.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

So in Shield TV app oddity discussion, the Discovery+ app will sometimes have a static loading wheel picture stuck on my screen coming out of a commercial until I bring up the playback GUI

Very distracting when I'm trying to watch Pig Royalty :mad:

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 28, 2021

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

To me Smart TV apps are like a fresh bottle of milk. Actually really nice when you first get it but the experience will sour quicker than you’d like unless you buy new ones at a ridiculous rate

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Google deciding to go nuclear and added a portal to YTTV in the Roku VT app, so basically Roku can gently caress right off or gamble that people prefer their streaming UI over having access to YT

Also Google said they are working on providing free streaming boxes if the Roku negotiations fall apart so Roku probably bit off more than it could chew

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It's probably different with Roku. Roku basically is entirely dependent on streaming services for their business model and YT is the most popular, dominate streaming service. And Google has it's own streaming device products and solutions. Google has way more weight they can throw at Roku in this situation than they can throw at RSNs

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I used to do the HD HomeRun Prime but the last 2 months of cable the audio was constantly getting out of sync on live tv. Couldn't ever figure it out. As much as I loved having Plex be my defacto one stop shop for everything except Netflix, I'm not going to miss the other random oddities from SiliconDust (who I absolutely hate) products or Plex with live tv. YTTV just works, I don't have all the same issues with Plex recording everything because TLC can't figure out how to label their shows, and unlimited set and forget dvr space is fantastic. Plus I don't have to choke my home internet upload when I'm trying to watch a live stream remotely

I'm paying about the same as I was with my old cable bundle after re-upping some promo deal every 1-2 years, but I have unlimited internet now and YTTV so it was worth the move.

Now that I'm very happy with YTTV I'm fully expecting Google to either drop it or impose strict DVR limitations

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Had Hulu Live for a bit and it was fine. I didn't like how Hulu tried combining live tv with on demand and streaming libraries in one view but other people may actually prefer that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RevKrule posted:

The biggest thing that seals YTTV over HTV for me is I can fast forward through all the commercials in YTTV recordings and I can't in Hulu, even with ads free. This is especially annoying if you want to repeat something before a commercial break and you aren't allowed to rewind until the break is over.

YTTV also gives you unlimited recordings with a 9 month expiry whereas Hulu only at most gives you 200 hours of recordings and that's only if you pay an extra $10/mo.

Also I don't like having live tv recommendations showing up in my classic "watch" list.

On the whole, Hulu TV is a fine product but if you have it available, I find YTTV a better deal.

Yeah. The restriction in what I could FF or not in HTV was infuriating and the thing that made me instantly question whether it was worth ditching my old Plex+Cablecard DVR. Sling also has frustrating restrictions on time shifting certain channels i.e. can I pause this NBA game to go take a piss.

The unlimited recordings thing is really nice too. The fire and forget method with YTTV is a very nice luxury. In comparison, Hulu couldn't help not making multiple recordings of the same show and flooding my free DVR space even if I try to tell it record new shows only. And the interface is rear end.

Getting the Hulu catalog of stuff is nice but if I'm subscribing to a live TV service I'm going to just get the one that does live TV best.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I started with Hulu because it was cheaper. But now it’s the same price as YouTubeTV and honestly just go with YTTV unless you really want access to the Hulu catalog (all the FX shows actually makes that a good proposition). Everything about the Hulu Live felt like a second rate service compared to YT, the lack of DVR space, the clunky interface, the weird app behavior on the Shield TV, being a few minutes behind YT on live feeds, the weird time shifting limitations, ads, etc.

Sling is cheaper but it feels like it. Couldn’t pause a live sports game so I bailed right then in my trial. But you can save some money with them if that is a big factor. In fact if you don’t need sports at all then you really can save a lot more money with Sling or Philo

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

mancalamania posted:

Do YouTube TV or Hulu Live let you watch in-progress DVR recordings from the beginning (e.g. start watching an 8pm show at 8:30 from the beginning)? If I recall correctly, neither let you do that when I first looked into them a few years ago but maybe things have changed or I'm misremembering.

YTTV lets you do that. In fact when you select an in-progress recording you're given a choice to start at beginning or join live. I'm pretty sure with Hulu it's a mixed bag. On sports games I seem to remember it defaulting to start at beginning and you have to pull up the UI to get to live, whereas for trash reality shows like 90 Day Fiance I had to wait until the recording was done before I could actually start at the beginning.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RevKrule posted:

It's incredibly frustrating that Hulu just keeps leaving its android tv app out in the cold here. Not being able to get 4k out of my Shield TV from an app is incredibly annoying. The upscaling it does is a nice consolation but not having HDR sucks.

I really like my Shield but, yeah, it being a more niche variant of the already niche Android TV ecosystem means there will always be random bits of annoyance in the app world that just won't get addressed. Weird stuff with Hulu, no Britbox app, etc. And telling me that it works fine if you just use the Chromecast feature is super annoying and if you tell me to sideload an apk I'll go nuts

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

they already give out peacock for free to xfinity subscribers but I guess they need to goose up their numbers still

You'd think during the Olympics they could really flex the power of peacock and their umbrella of content but instead peacock coverage sucked and it continues to be that one service you need if you want The Office.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Normally we watch the opening ceremony. I didn’t bother to record it because I forgot but figured we could just open Peacock and start watching. But stupid me, the ceremony was in progress on live tv so I had to wait until next day to watch from the beginning

At least all those unsolved mysteries episodes are cool

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

YTTV and NBC have agreed on a "short extension" i.e. NBC is finding some way to salvage their dignity after getting peacock shoved back in their face

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Elephanthead posted:

NBC is moving their content to a streaming service and wondering why cable providers don't want to pay the same price to carry, well nothing.

Does USA have good originals anymore

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I actually hate the Hulu GUI it’s like someone fired up a PlayStation 3 and thought that was the pinnacle

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Part of my annoyance is how Hulu tries to just blend Live TV, DVR, and VOD into a single library/view. It's a feature not a bug, but to me it feels like I'm doing way too many clicks to get to what I want. Opening the app, going to a live game for one of my subscribed teams and starting at the beginning of the recording seemed like an annoying amount of clicks compared to YTTV. Granted, YTTV is just Live TV so it's not having to juggle VOD stuff. I didn't like how it handled live TV and the TV guide either but it's been awhile and I don't recall the specifics.

Also it was sluggish. Not Motorola cable box sluggish but something is choking my PS3 in the background that that laptop HDD is still catching up sluggish. It made having to do things like switching users or trying to hurry to find what I'm looking for a pain. This was a Shield too, which maybe they didn't bother to optimize for or put much work in to. But that's my other problem with it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sling is the cheapest but you certainly feel every penny pinched. I gave up 5 minutes into my trial when I couldn’t pause a live NBA game on TNT

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I now have both free Peacock and free Paramount and between them I can’t decide which is more unnecessary as a stand-alone paid service. Discovery+ is probably a better buy

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Discovery+ is the 90 Day Fiancé service and it kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I did miss the Hulu vod library so it’s great to get that back

Now I’ve got (through purchases and sharing) YTTV, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Prime, HBO Max, Peacock, Paramount, Frndly, and Discovery+. I feel like one of those assholes that had HBO and Cinemax when I was a kid

I still haven’t redeemed my free Apple TV but meh on that