Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So we cut cable back in February and I've been keeping a laptop handy for watching video from itunes and other sources. We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.
I'm sick of the laptop being on the coffee table, i'm sick of the cables running around the room, so what's my best bet for network streaming? A Boxee? Roku? I've never had much skill for building PCs so I don't think an HTPC is the right thing for me. In the Boxee thread the popular opinion these days is that the device sucks and from reading here I gather that the Roku doesn't natively stream from a local network.
Are any of the other box options suitable for my needs? Does anyone make a pre made HTPC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don Lapre posted:

The zotac ad10 is only $200. Add your own 2.5" hard drive and ddr3 ram. It has hdmi out and built in ir for a remote (one is included). It's also super small.

It's what we use and has no problems with 1080p video.

I'll look into it, thanks! I'm also looking at the RasberryPi since it's so cheap.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CFox posted:

I use a Roku for this along with watching Netflix and Prime. Just had to download a program called Plex on my PC which works like Windows Media Center and then download a Plex app on the Roku to be able to see the files. Really simple and Plex automatically tags movies and series so it's all nice and organized. I splurged on the $99 Roku for the USB connection but I'm 90% positive you can just do everything wirelessly.

I ordered a RaspberryPi but wince it might take 6 weeks to get here I might bite the bullet and go get a Roku at Best Buy on my lunch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
This Plex Media server kind of sucks. My laptop is less than a year old and this thing bogs down and locks up every time I try to add folders.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'll be honest, I'm not too thrilled with the Roku so far overall.

Edit: Yeah, this thing does nothing the 360 couldn't do just as well and Plex is terrible. I'll just wait for the Rpi, this piece of poo poo is going back tomorrow.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 8, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wa27 posted:

Though even lots of older TVs have USB ports on them that probably aren't being used. I wonder if that would supply enough power?

I ran a rasberry pi off the usb port on a 5 year old Samsung DLP. I expect the CC won't need any more power than that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

crm posted:

Does Chromecast deserve it's own megathread? Mine shipped!

Is there any existing community on hacking these things? I was completely oblivious before yesterday.

I thought they wern't shipping until August, gonna have to order one if they're already going out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Don Lapre posted:

Best buy has them in stores.

Huh, might make a BB run at lunch.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BigFactory posted:

That might be a sign that it's time to read a book, brother.

Book?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think VLC is even supported on Chromebooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teeter posted:

I've cancelled my Xbox Live subscription and need a good solution for getting Netflix and Youtube on my living room TV. Since it's less than the one year Live renewal would have been, is Chromecast one of the better options for me?

e: I will still be using TVersity for streaming local content so I've got that covered.

So long as you have a phone or tablet that can run Netflix then a CC is the best option for it.