Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Edit: ^^ Personal Anecdote - Living about 25 miles from Chicago and I use this on the bottom floor of my split level house (mounted on a wall only a couple of feet above the ground line outside).

I get every channel (except CBS but they're broadcasting in some frequency only used in two other places in the US) in HD. It can be a bit shaky during storms so I may get the amplified version of it when it goes on sale. Still a great device.

If you've got an iOS device, the Fanhattan app (iTunes page) can help you find out what streaming services can provide you a particular show and movie.

Helpful for figuring out which services are best for your favorite shows.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

golgo13sf posted:

Is swear to god, Charter customers have access to ESPN3 via computer but not through the iPad app, how loving mental is that.

You're also describing the current state of all broadcast entertainment.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Try the mohu leaf antenna. It's cheap, and this may be just my anecdote, and it works in the bottom level of our split level house. Not exactly basement but pretty close.

Check to see how close you are to the broadcast towers in your area. Antennaweb is good for that. The closer you are, the less important the antenna is.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Liar posted:

They're literally all up the road from me, all south within ten miles. But even still I get nothing from what I've tried from the store. I was initially avoiding the leaf because it'd be more difficult to return if it failed too, but since the entire internet seems to love it I'm guessing it'll be my absolute best chance.

Picking up a lot of stations, and they're coming across on the same quality level as cable. This pretty much seals the deal, gently caress cable.

All that's left now is finally deciding between Roku, Boxee, and Apple.

Enjoy your free TV!

Parlett316 posted:

Awesome, glad you got that fixed. Enjoy the chinese ping pong station.

And the 2 Korean TV stations, the 9 spanish language networks, the 2 old-timey rerun networks, and the 1 polish station.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

BattleHork posted:

Where are you people living that you have all that? Everything I get aside from the major networks are home shopping or about the Bible.
Chicago metro area. Got an awful lot of Mexicans and Polish people so there you go.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So I saw a recent Huffpost article that might be interesting:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/aereo-broadcasters-streams-networks-tv_n_1690173.html

In a nutshell, there's this NY-based startup called Aereo that is trying to circumvent the problems with OTA broadcast TV like reception and DVR availability. They have a data center in NY full of thousands of dime-sized HD antennae. You pay them 12 bucks a month to basically rent one of these antennae (which presumably get perfect HD reception) and they stream your signal to your set-top box/computer/phone/tablet over the internet. On top of that, you can record/pause/etc. and save video feeds to your account to watch where/whenever-so it's "DVR that exists on their server instead of under your TV-meets netflix."

Since Aereo doesn't pay broadcasters for their OTA channels, the networks are understandably very upset. So far Aereo's been winning their recent bout of court cases, but there are plenty more down the road. The argument from the broadcasters (aside from "we want fee money") is that Aereo are essentially exploiting a technicality in order to provide TV service without paying for their content like a traditional provider. That said, "renting prime antenna space and recording TV for you" is a pretty brilliant way of exploiting a loophole in broadcast laws.

The service is currently NYC-only but they'll hopefully expand in the very near future. The NYC service gives you "over 20 local channels" and all of the important ones are there. To me, it seems like a great cable/sat alternative if you happen to live somewhere where mounting your own set of rabbit ears isn't the best option.

Here's their site: https://aereo.com

While it's a neat way to circumvent restrictions, they're going to be litigated into the ground for years and years. And by then the loopholes/regulations could be amended to make Aereo in violation.

I'm not one to poo-poo a neat idea but this is the same legal arena that saw CableCARD, cable competition in general, and municipal broadband get crushed by the incumbents.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

:eng101: With the exception of Monday Night Football (ESPN) and the later-season Thursday night game (NFL Network), the only NFL games you get on TV come through channels you can get with an antenna.

Sports is the thing that gets most people worked up (white noise channels come in a close second) about cutting the cord but it really shouldn't be.

If you can get the major networks OTA/through cable leaking from your internet connection, you'll get all your local sports.

I can see how not having an NFL streaming option would hurt for people who are 1) cutting the cord and 2) out of the area of their local team but that's a bit of a subset of a subset.

I wonder if, after 2014, the NFL will terminate the exclusivity agreement with DirecTV.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Don Lapre posted:

Isn't Monday Night Football shown on local stations for your local team?

Yes, the local ABC affiliate should show it (may end up on another very local channel if ABC decides not to air it).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Pillowpants posted:

If I were to cancel cable, is there any way I can watch The Walking Dead? Is it available after a few days on Amazon or Hulu or Itunes? This is important to convincing my wife to go along with me on this.

You'd have to check but I want to say that you can buy an iTunes season pass and get the episodes a day or so after they air. This, of course, depends on the channel but AMC did this with Mad Men on the most recent season.

Fanhattan for iOS can figure this out for you (but maybe not until the season begins).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

SunknLiner posted:

We've recently "cut the cable" too, but the one show we're worried about missing is The Walking Dead. Are there any legal options for watching this show live, or close to live without having to wait for the season to be released on DVD?

Not 10 posts above you.

Pillowpants posted:

If I were to cancel cable, is there any way I can watch The Walking Dead? Is it available after a few days on Amazon or Hulu or Itunes? This is important to convincing my wife to go along with me on this.

Thwomp posted:

You'd have to check but I want to say that you can buy an iTunes season pass and get the episodes a day or so after they air. This, of course, depends on the channel but AMC did this with Mad Men on the most recent season.

Fanhattan for iOS can figure this out for you (but maybe not until the season begins).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you've got devices and a router that support it, I'd recommend getting a setup with a 5 GHz wireless channel. You'll get less interference from the multitude of 2.4GHz networks liable to be broadcasting around you and a better connection, IMHO.

The downside is the range is less expansive but that's not a concern with a home theater set up since everything is fixed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it really depends on how into Apple's ecosystem you are.

If you've got an iDevice or are a heavy iTunes user, an AppleTV is going to be an easier fit then anything else.

If you're not in Apple's ecosystem, then a Roku or WDTV may be a simpler option. However, AppleTV's Netflix and Hulu Plus interface is really excellent and far better than my time with WDTV's.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

skattered posted:

For you guys with Hulu Plus, does it replace a DVR? I mean, I can't see a point in building a DVR while Hulu Plus is available. I has all recent episodes from the major network series, right?

It's like a DVR in the sense that you can watch shows later (usually the next day) if you didn't catch them. It'll add those shows to your queue and keep them there for a while.

However, it doesn't offer to pause live tv or let you catch up on the show if you come in late/try watching it the same night.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So RCN is now encrypting basic local TV signals that you could've accessed through your internet line. Comcast is reportedly going to start doing so as well. Also, to be extra dicks, you'll need a box for every TV and it doesn't even have to be an HD box.

Looks like my go-to for local broadcast TV is going away. Maybe I'll finally invest in an outdoor antenna to put on the roof.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Might not be a bad idea. Invest in a compass and hit up http://tvfool.com or http://antennaweb.org Depending on where you live you might get a dozen or so channels (including sub-channels) for the cost of your time and a few dollars for a decent antenna.

Honestly, I could live with a Leaf (and did for a time) indoors. However, I live in the Chicago area and the CBS affliate here is one of only three still broadcasting in the VHF band. So if I want all the broadcast channels (including the one that carries the NCAA tourneys, other half of NFL games, and some other occasional stuff) I gotta mount an external.

But once that's done, I'll have no problem getting the signal (from the 6th tallest building in the nation).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

This is may sound a little odd, but have you tried hooking your tv up to the current cable jack in your place and switching the tv to Antenna mode? I'm doing it in Seattle 5 miles away from the Antennas and in the bottom of a valley and I receive a perfect signal on all of the major network stations. I probably get 20-25 channels total without every having to buy an antenna.

That's what I do now with my cable line. The point of the article I posted is that cable operators are beginning to encrypt those signals that come leaking through their wires. I don't pay for the local networks but I can still (for the moment) tune into them via Comcast. I suspect you may experience the same issue once your cable operator starts encrypting their signal.

And I only have a problem with CBS over the air in Chicago because their VHF signal doesn't penetrate walls at all so internal antennas can't grab them.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Is there any box out there that will handle this the best? We're an apple household, so it seems like Apple TV would be best because you can do airplay streaming and stuff like that, but I don't believe it can stream the MKV files which would be wonderful. The Roku 3 seems like a good option too, but I really know nothing about how it can stream files ala PS3 Media Server which is important.

Joe Don Baker posted:

There's programs out there that can convert those mkvs into something iTunes can use. If the file is already h.264 it just takes a minute or two.

Use MKVtoMP4 to do quick conversions. It'll tag stuff and add artwork too so everything is all pretty. It even recently added official iTunes tags and artwork.

If that tool doesn't work or work well enough, there's always Handbrake but it takes longer.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

That looks to be PC only, all my stuff is Mac (hence the integration with Apple TV that intrigued me).

I have handbreak, it's slow as hell... I also have Episode and Compressor too. I just DON'T want to convert every single item just so I can watch it one and trash it.

Edit: So what does Plex do for Roku? does it only stream compatible formats, or does it convert on the fly like PS3 Media Server?

Joe Don Baker posted:

The program I use is iFlicks. There's a few out there that work just as well.

If I had a Mac, I'd use iFlicks.

As to Plex, it runs a server on your computer and you point it at your library of files. You then use the Plex clients on everything else to access that media. I'm pretty sure it allows for a big variety of file types.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think we're talking past each other.

Lapre: While the cable companies consider it illegal, it's hard to actually take their position seriously. They can't actually make a case for passive theft because there's no way they can tell someone has plugged their tv into their cable line (unless you observe it happening). At least until they all do start encrypting the clearQAM signals and then force everyone to have some kind of box.

(At which point you can go back to an antenna).

Everyone else: Plugging into the wall and getting basic local tv and not paying for the service is leaching off the cable company. However, it's like a speeding when there are no cops around. You won't get a ticket unless you're observed.

New content: Aereo is (supposedly) coming to the Chicago area. I'll be all over that until they are litigated into the ground.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And it's not even like other kinds of piracy since it's taking advantage of a limitation of their current technology.

Going back to the speeding analogy, it's more like those radar/speed awareness signs in that you can go over the limit, it'll tell you you are going over, but it doesn't have a camera or reporting mechanism to enforce the limit so no one takes it seriously.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

I know Aereo requires a billing address in their service area, which last I checked was still NYC metro area. Can I get service by using a prepaid card with my address set to some hotel in NYC, or area they using IP location or WiFi/GPS geolocation, too?

Their website and blog states they were going to expand beyond NYC and Boston this "Spring" but the litigation may have delayed their wider rollout.

That said, you can sign up to be on the early subscriber list once the service does go live in one of their planned areas.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

stubblyhead posted:

Here's a potentially stupid question for you guys. How do you figure out what's going to be on? I don't want to take out a subscription to TV Guide or the local newspaper. Are there decent guides for broadcast TV available online?

If you have iOS, Episodes will keep track of your shows for you and you can have it set reminder notifications.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It doesn't? I always remember getting a specific There's an episode of X show airing tonight."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For Chicago-area cord-cutting goons, Aereo (the company that offers internet-dvr/live streaming service for OTA channels) is launching in Chicago on 9/13. You can pre-register on their facebook page.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Atlanta was the first non-Northeastern area to get the service. Early registration opened a month or so ago.

I'd imagine early registers for Chicago will probably start online mid-to-late August.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 27, 2013

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It should. It picks up nearly everything that's not a VHF signal (and if you're living in Manhattan, even that shouldn't be a problem). You can go to Antennaweb.org to verify.

The only hitch might be how high up your apartment is. But with a direct view of the ESB, it shouldn't be an issue.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pretty much not (in regards to over the air).

However, some cable stations allow their shows on digital redistribution services (Hulu Plus, iTunes, Amazon Prime) so you should make a list of your favorite shows and see where you can find them online (https://www.fan.tv or their fan app work wonders for finding which streaming service offers your particular show, if any)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Medikit posted:

Can you get away with this?

I used to use my parent's Dish info (back when Dish was accepted, now its not-so-much).

Anecdotally, I know several households that share an HBOGo account.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

crm posted:

Is there any existing community on hacking these things? I was completely oblivious before yesterday.

It was just announced yesterday so no.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Still got my ClearQAM signal in the midwest.

No notice either. Where is that coming from?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hulu+ is a good service if you want shows that are airing now (mostly) on the broadcast networks. They are typically posted the day after they air and I think only Fox has a time limit on how long they stay up. Commercial breaks are usually only 1 minute long so its not terrible.

If it fits your viewing habits, it works great.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can't tell if this means they are doing really, really well and are seeing higher than predicted interest, or if it's just a start-up being a start-up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm not so sure about the whole court thing as they just announced they've launched in Houston.

It's just a start-up being a start-up.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Pre-registered, liked on Facebook, no invite. :eng99:

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming you've got it pointed (flat side exposed) to the correct direction according to antennaweb?

Outside of that, try putting it as high as you can.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

ShadowStalker posted:

We cut cable last week and don't really miss it. I'd love to get one device that offers Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Network Video Support, and Antennae feeds all in one box so there's no switching inputs. Anybody found anything like that?

The closest I found is the Roku 3 with Plex but that doesn't support antennae feeds. There are rumors that the soon to be released HDHomerun product will get some type of channel for the Roku 3.

That's a tough nut to crack. Alternatively, you could get a Logitech remote which can switch inputs/everything quickly for you at the touch of a button. Then you just need to plug an antenna into your TV's coax port.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

I floated the idea of ditching cable to the wife-to-be. I soon realized this will be a losing argument if we can't get Food Network and TLC. Any streaming options for those?

A couple of general questions too:

- Does Hulu have "real time" feeds (like a traditional programmed channel you can just tune in to) or is it purely on demand? I know stuff like Vevo on Apple TV and the upcoming WWE Network have both, but I'm not sure how common that is.

- Do any models of Roku have a sleep timer on them? I don't think my ISP has a bandwith cap, but I don't wanna push my luck and get throttled (I like falling asleep to TV).

No on both Food network and TLC. My wife was the same way when we ditched cable. Granted, she missed having an actual DVR for live events more than white-noise channels (yes, I know there are standalone DVRs for this purpose).

And Hulu does not have live streams, to my knowledge.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Check to see if Aereo is available in your area (for however long it lasts).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Goetta posted:

What is generally considered the best cable modem at a reasonable price? Or are they all pretty similar?

In my experience, they're all the same. However, you do want to make sure the one you get supports DOCSIS 3.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It depends on how invested in Apple's ecosystem you really are.

If you use iTunes and have at least 1 iDevice, you'll get a lot of use out of it. You can AirPlay music and video via iTunes or iDevices, access your iTunes library over the network for streaming play, and it integrates with all of Apple's other services so you can access your iCloud accout too.

If you don't use iTunes or don't have any iDevices, it still provides a pretty good overall experience. It's added a bunch of "channels" over the last year or so so you've got better options than just YouTube and Netflix and iTunes. But it isn't the fastest or more innovative product on the market.

All of this is prefaced on Apple not releasing an updated product in the near future (which they are constantly rumored to be doing which could be either a cable box or an Apple-branded TV set).