Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

withak posted:

It shows that it is probably worth trying out, that being mounted behind the TV doesn't automatically make the antenna useless.

Depends on how strong the signals are. Placing antennae near electronics is going to give your reception a hit no matter what you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pillowpants posted:

3. Is there anywhere I can actually watch a show live?

An antenna.

Pillowpants posted:

I spend $180 a month on a triple play, cutting cable to make it a double play will end up as $110 a month, but i want to cut the phone pricing more.

I don't know what your whole situation is like, but I'm assuming its internet and landline in what's left? Honestly, I'd shop around and see if you can find something cheaper depending on your needs.

I used to pay about $50 for an AT&T DSL plus local only landline.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

iostream.h posted:

Yeah, everything I'm looking at for any provider really tries to cram the poo poo out of the service packages.
I don't get it tho', why insist that I pay less for them to provide 'more'? I can't make any sense out of the benefit of saying 'Internet, phone AND cable will cost $120 but if you want internet only it'll be $135'.

$135 for just internet? :psyduck:

Where the hell do you live?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EugeneJ posted:

Does anyone still use those old-rear end giant rooftop antennas to get OTA HDTV?

If it leads to consistent signal quality compared with a Mohu Leaf or whatever, I'd be willing to buy one.

I would in a heartbeat if I could. I live in an apartment though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EugeneJ posted:

How's the signal? Is it powered by anything?

Antennae don't need to be powered. Go check out your area on TVFool.com, it'll help you determine what stations you should receive (and where to point your antenna)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dr Tran posted:

Do you get channels like Antenna TV or MeTV with lots of old reruns?

I live just north of Cincinnati, so I get their channels and Dayton's, 44 in total. I get both those channels.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FogHelmut posted:

My antenna picks up every local channel with great signal but one. Is this due to antenna placement/location? ABC is kind of a big channel, you'd think it would come in with the others.

https://www.tvfool.com and https://www.antennaweb.org are great places to help you figure out how to place your antenna.. If it's an indoor, I have found that buying an amplifier helps quite a bit. I live just about centered between the Cincinnati and Dayton markets, and easily pick up Cinci's channels without an amplifier in a brick apartment, added the amplifier and I get both markets no problem.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tyson Tomko posted:

So the day finally arrived, the day when my cable company made everything digital and I can no longer get any channels just from plugging the cable into the TV...which makes me very happy I got my antenna setup a few months back woohoo, can't take those channels away.

At first it was just QVC and CSpan that went digital only, then they all give that "sorry charlie you'll need a dig box to decode these" message.

Seriously, I cut cable before it was cool, and after the initial withdrawls of Sundays watching History Channel (back then it was still actually about history), I haven't missed it at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Anyone here familiar with antennas? I adjusted mine yesterday and now I can pull in a few more channels (I needed Fox for NFL) but it's weird. It kept having dropouts during the day and I was going to wait until the sun went down to adjust it again since god drat it's loving hot on my roof but as soon as the sun went down the drat thing got perfect reception. I've been googling it and it may happen if you're near a shed or something but it's at the apex of my roof and there's nothing near it. WTH? Maybe I should get a 10' mast?

Out of curiosity, how are you adjusting your antenna?

EDIT:

Also, what kind of antennae are you using? Setup? etc.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Delayed update:

All of those channel 63 sub-channels are actually distinct despite having the same name. There really are very few repeats, and I don't think any are overlaps from other cities. It's all LA stuff, since I don't think I can get San Diego here. I don't actually care to receive this many channels, but I use it as a crude benchmark when evaluating different antenna performance and placement for my apartment.

My calculations put you at 171 channels, and I thought the 71 or so channels I was getting from both Cincinnati and Dayton was impressive :psyduck:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

I think it depends on the owner of the game in the market. I live in Atlanta and they've blacked out like 1 or 2 games in the past 5 years. Before that I lived in Denver and well, they han't not sold out a game since 1969.

In the 90's I remember Seattle having issues meeting the blackout threshold, and some local companies would buy the remaining tickets.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think it's the same GE antenna. I may look at a different one that can possible rotate. I have to go over her covenants and see what's allowed.

Are digital signals weaker or was it this bad in the old days? I remember getting an okay picture on my TV with rabbit ears in the 80's. I thought maybe digital didn't handle weaker signals as well, but after we rigged the antenna to her ladder she was able to get 30% quality on PBS and that looked perfectly fine. The NBC and ABC affiliates were about 5% and could really have benefited from some more height and maybe an amplifier.

Of course the religious channel came in like 90%.

I think that the signals aren't necessarily weaker, but you need more of it for digital. Analog just went from the antenna to the TV, digital needs some processing, so it just needs more information. I can't say I'm an expert though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm looking at moving into a new apartment. It apparently has some contract requiring me to subscribe to Time Warner for $100/mo (high speed internet digital cable, and "premium movie channels."). Needless to say I was very nonplussed by that prospect due to having been loyal to my antenna for about 10 years now, and paying for digital TV is not impressive to me.

I'm definitely going to ask for copies of the legalese involved in that to find a way to weasel out of it, because gently caress Time Warner (isn't it called Spectrum now because they had to get away from a toxic name?).

EDIT:
Meant to ask if you guys had any experience and/or advice on this?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Photex posted:

I don't think that's legal...

Yeah, that's why I'm going to ask for all the documentation involved in that one. Seems like they're treating it like a utility similar to water or trash removal. Supposedly the complex has some kind of contract with them for 3 more years.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How far into the move-in process are you? Curious how questioning this and refusing can affect your prospects of getting the place.

Not far yet, I'm in the "looking" phase. Sadly it's the only place I've found so far that I both like, and is conveniently located enough for me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Tv signals are hard to get (about an hour and a half away from the nearest stations) and I am completely surrounded by large trees.

Can you install one outside?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

If I want to pick up a good array of channels from roughly this position (it's not my exact address), a decent directional antenna in my roof pointing SW should be enough, and just ignore whatevers north for the most part?

I have one of those indoor flat things at the moment and reception isn't great, so I'd like to boost it up. It was a savior during the hurricane and our cable was out for a while and we wanted to keep up with the news.

https://www.antennaweb.org/Stations...ude=-80.1470482

Yeah, that's what I would do. I'd also suggest an amplifier, and use a compass and TVfool.com to figure out your headings.

My location has a similar spread (and similar distances), and I get good results from pointing my out of print indoor antenna at the stations that give me the most trouble, as the others are strong enough that the direction doesn't matter. In the end though you'll probably want to do some experimentation for your optimal direction.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

thrawn527 posted:

I don't know, but basically everyone does it. Check Hulu, same restriction.

Hulu doesn't seem to have any hard and fast rules, some shows are their in their entirety, some are limited. Some are limited to three episodes, then at random the whole season populates. It is probably all related to contracting, but it's annoying how it seems to change monthly at times.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

It's whatever deal the distributing studio has with OnDemand and OTT providers.

In their mind, you'll buy episodes to catch up on a show and get current instead of just passing it over.

They need to realize that we're at peak TV and there's enough content out there to fill someone's schedule easily so if you make a show hard it expensive to catch up on, people will just not stay current with it.

That's really the key. It doesn't effect me too much because 90% of the time I'm watching the show on Hulu within 48 hours, mostly because I'd rather watch The Mick over dinner at 6:00 instead of Family Feud.

On the other hand, sometimes I've heard about something, or want to watch an old episode, only to find out I can only watch last 3 episodes from last season.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

stevewm posted:

I've not had cable in so long, I actually get mildly angry when I am somewhere that does have it and ads come on.

I happened to be at my parents one time as they where watching The Walking Dead... I couldn't believe how often they went to commercial.. 4 minutes of show, 5 minutes of ads. Rinse/repeat. The show itself couldn't have been longer than 40 minutes. And I don't understand why some channels run so many self promotions. Especially promotions for the show you are currently watching, or would be watching if they weren't currently running a commercial for it.

Commercials are how TV makes money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
get an antenna you sheeple!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Don Lapre posted:

How far away are you? Maybe you just need the right antenna

Yeah, it's this, most people don't know enough about antennas. The common conception is that it's a pair of rabbit ears on top of a TV like it's the 1950's, and I suspect it's not as bad now with modern TVs, but that is the worst place to put an antenna.

bull3964 posted:

Only a fraction of what I watch is broadcast OTA, so an antenna doesn't help me much.

Learn to do things other than watch TV, there's a lot of things out there to do!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Don Lapre posted:

How quickly you forget about house hunters and king of cakes will blow your mind

It's this.

I jumped ship on cable before any of that crap started, back when the joke was the History Channel was the "Hitler Channel." My Sundays of idly watching WWII documentaries were the thing that I got withdrawals from, but eventually that faded, and I was OK with not spending all my waking hours in front of the TV.

You'll be OK without the TV on at all times.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bull3964 posted:

Zero? I'm not sure I understand the question.

How high is your autisim score?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ixian posted:

Having said that your situation is totally doable if A) You get the right antenna and make the effort to install it correctly B) Use an app like the free one from Wineguard (Apple, Android stores) to line it up correctly using your phone and C) Live somewhere (i.e. not an apartment on the opposite side from the towers you need) that affords you the freedom to make A and B work.

I live in an apartment and get good reception from transmitters ~27 miles out from a directional indoor antenna. One time my antenna was in a different alignment (I'm pretty sure my roommate messed with it), and got some channel I'd never seen before, which is probably a bit farther since TVfool has the next nearest transmitter at 67 miles, but that very well could have been a fluke.

Admittedly, I also don't live in an downtown area and my current apartment isn't made out of bricks (my last one was and I got similar results). My current complex does allow the mini-dishes, so when I can justify buying a better antenna, I'm planning to bargain with them about installing it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's called "Winegard - TV Signal Finder"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ixian posted:

Good post on UHF/VHF

The whole VHF thing is definitely something I've never considered for my antenna, as there is exactly one channel I cannot get, no matter how hard I try. I didn't have any issues getting it at my old apartment which had a pretty much straight unobscured line of sight to the Cincinnati stations. In the new apartment, I have a lot more in the way, but at least I get the Dayton stations too so I'm not missing the CW and CBS.

I've got an old Radio Shack, double bow-tie with reflector (sadly, discontinued like 10 years ago now), perched high atop a bookshelf, in my room pointed at Cincinnati, and fed back through the pre-installed Time Warner cable junction box, it works pretty great.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tk posted:

If she doesn’t need ID specifically, there is a ton of true crime content on various streaming sources. You can get all of Forensic Files on Youtube, which can keep you occupied for a bit.

I get an over the air sub-channel called "Escape" that runs crime dramas and true crime programs including Forensic Files.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Same. In Atlanta I think it's also the same set of subchannels that further down the line play local radio stations for some reason. Just the sound, no picture or anything.

Weirdly enough, a few years back, some of my local channels would just put the same feed as the main channel on a sub-channel, except it was in ST for reasons :iiam:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Something Offal posted:

What I don't like about Pluto is some of the channels are named '4k whatever' but are clearly not a 4k source or appropriate broadcast bitrate. And that's with a fast wired internet connection that can support 4k YouTube with zero buffering. Plus you can't choose the resolution like you can with YouTube, Pluto 'chooses' what's best which is often 720p or lower.

On a 55" TV it looks pretty bad.

Of course this is something most consumers probably don't care about. Most people I know can barely tell the difference between HD and SD (in 2018) and couldn't care less.

I'll admit I watched the DVD of John Wick over the weekend because the manufacturer put the Blu Ray on the wrong side :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

nate fisher posted:

After spending almost 2 years without cable I am going back. I made a list ditch effort to stay streaming by switching to WOW internet which has no data caps (I was averaging 1.3 to 1.5 TBs a month streaming on Comcast). Well I would take Comcast's 250mbs down any day over the up & down nature of WOW's 1GB down. So I could sign contract for a year and get 100 channels + my internet back for $59.99. Considering my last bill for just Comcast internet was $170 (cap overages), and I pay $45 a month for Youtube TV I have no choice. Using Comcast for TV is the only way I really can avoid overages.

Comcast wins by cheating with data caps.

coward

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

derk posted:

I haven't had cable television service in about 5 years at least. Antennae, streams and automated sonarr/nzbget/torrents until the internet dies for me.

I cut the cord way back in I think 2007 or 2008. I don't even stream that much either, so if the internet disappeared tomorrow, I'd be fine, there's plenty of subchannels out there for your 24/7 background noise.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have an antenna recommendation based on this? http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d9038217eabe405

My TV and the windows behind it are all West facing. There's a wall/door on the north side so probably no luck there.

I can get big discounts on Mohus so that would be nice if you think it's suitable.

I'm not familiar with Mohu antennae, but I think the more important question is what does the north/east wall look like, and what is behind it? Also what is the building made from?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

The TV is directly up against the west wall. About 8 feet to the right (the north) is the front door to the apartment. It's the second floor of a duplex, so the other side of that door is a staircase that hugs that north facing wall. It goes down a half flight to a landing and then does a U turn for the next half. You exit to the west out the front door of the house.

House is old, from the 1930s or so. The interior of the walls are plaster, other walls are some sort of stucco like stuff I think.

Assuming you can't mount one inside, a decently constructed directional antenna placed on top of a bookshelf (away from as many electronics as possible) should do fine, especially if you don't have brick walls. Just point the thing between the two main directions. Worst case scenario is an amplifier could help, but if that east wall is an exterior wall, you should be ok.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

DVD was just too loving good. Too big a jump. DVD will outlive everything else.

I think that most people just don't care about the quality of picture and sound.

I feel like the reason that DVD overtook the VHS isn't quite cut and dry as it was just "too good," although it certainly was at the time.

VHS hit the US market in 1977, and TVs at the time were small, blurry things with 12 inches being big. VHS was perfect for that, but by the time the 90's rolled around TVs were getting bigger and better and those blurry little things weren't cutting it anymore.

There's also the future aspect. DVDs came out right before the year 2000, putting an entire movie on a single compact disc, with bonus features was futuristic. On top of that, computers were now starting to become ubiquitous, I feel like most people's first DVD players were actually on the computer. Now you're watching the Matrix in the way of the future!

VHS still did plod along until the late 00's, and really I do think the final nail in that coffin was the 2009 digital changeover. Most people really did not pay attention that it was coming, and were caught off guard that their old analog TV could no longer get TV, and begrudgingly bought the cheapest digital TVs possible, making the DVD player the logical partner.

Per Wikipedia DVD only surpassed the VHS in 2008. 13 years is a loving long time for both VHS and DVD to coexist like that. In the end it was actually a long process for DVD to take over, and most people just don't care until they have to.

bull3964 posted:

I can see a situation where UHD Blu-ray completely takes over HD bluray's market share (since the physical discs aren't much more expensive to produce), but still remains the minority to DVD.

This is what I see playing out because at this point the people who buy Blu and UHD discs are the people who care about the quality of the media and are willing to shell out the extra couple of dollars for it.

EDIT:
To add, I know despite my family having a DVD player in 1996, I know I rented VHS until 2003, because the rental stores had much better VHS selections, and they were like $6 each vs. $12 each for the DVD.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 27, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

B-Nasty posted:

Blu-ray, or rather typical Hollywood greed, also shot itself in the foot early on by pricing Blu movies so much higher than DVDs. From the time of Blu's release until not that long ago, DVDs of new, feature movies were 1/3 to 1/2 the price ($10-$20 vs $20-$30) of the Blu-ray version. Besides tech-enthusiasts, that meant people had to decide if the movie was worth going with the 'upgraded' picture, and, rightly so, most films didn't seem worthy.

Not like DVDs were cheap by any stretch of the imagination when they dropped, they were about $20-$25 each then, which is closer to $30-$40 now.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Yeah, 2005 sounds more like it to me, but Wikipedia had 2008 listed, either way, it was still over a decade of coexistence. Technically the last VHS was manufactured in 2016.

Blu was released in 2006, but really didn't have a lot of the advantage DVD had, plus with most people having just upgraded and still on SD TVs, it was always going to be a slower burn.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

Here's a TVFool. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d90388850823bcc

This antenna doesn't get PBS when it's on a North facing window next to the TV (no other window option) https://smile.amazon.com/Latest-Amplified-Digital-Antenna-65-80/dp/B07FVLXHYV/

Have a recommendation for another? Think this would? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-indoor-hdtv-antenna-black/8233003.p?skuId=8233003

I had to look at your past history in this thread to be reminded if you were who I thought you were.

But have you tried putting it elsewhere, and pointing it directly at the signal? All your signals are at about the same direction, and you don't really have to point out a window if your building isn't made of of concrete or a Faraday cage. There is also a weather factor, sometimes the weather is just going to interfere with your signals.

Bookshelves in a different room (yes, you may have to buy a coax cable), are good for this.

Alternatively, because you're renting, you may just be SOL on some signals. The amplifier could be a problem too, they amplify the signal you receive, problems and all. On the other hand, in the past I've run a coax from one room to another and had good luck with an amplifier at the antenna and one at the TV.

Seriously, do some experimentation on where your positioning and angling your antenna. I thought I was never going to get the local CBS where I am now, but I moved the antenna to the other side of the room and now I get it (weakly).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

KingKapalone posted:

Thanks for all the investigating, but sorry, this is now for my dad. He always wants to try the things I try after I do them.

I can see if he can put the thin antenna somewhere else. The north window is actually right in the corner of the room so it's kind of 5-10 degrees towards the NW actually if that makes sense. He's just willing to try that cheap rabbit ears one since that's the one I got myself. Maybe it won't change anything and it's just the location.

Rabbit ears aren't bad, they're just typically used inefficiently. The best reception from rabbit ears are to splay them out as long from ear to ear as possible in a straight line, and position them perpendicular to the signal. Of course the best way to use them is really not the greatest way for most people, which is why they're used.

Also make sure that the antenna is as far away from electronics as possible. Always position the antenna away from those things, this includes things that use a motor, like a dishwasher or washer/dryer.

Does he own his home? Because if he owns the place he should set up an outdoor antenna or an attic antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Squashy Nipples posted:

Whoa, that's pretty cool... Hadn't thought of that!

However, after reviewing the channels available to me, I see that most of the Providence RI channels I could pick up are just dupes of CBS/ABC/NBC, not more PBS stations... So I might as well get a directional and point it at the Boston stations.

Even though I'm more or less directly between Providence and Boston, the Boston stations are broadcast from the Blue Hills, South West of the city.

With how strong those signals are coming in from the north west, you may be able to get away with pointing your antenna at the weaker signals and still get both. It's at least worth experimenting with, and an amplifier could make a difference as well.