Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Hbo works fine. We are on Comcast and use our neighbors login who is on uverse.

My only gripe with HBO GO is their Boxee app is loving atrocious. But then again, Boxee. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Boxee has suited my needs for the most part. Plays all sorts of hosed up file formats, has a pleasing (to me) form factor, and has a competent web browser. Suffer no delusions, this poo poo aint no computer, but it works decently enough. I watch a grip of :filez: and web content in the form of streaming twitch.tv and its ilk and it does that poo poo fine.

Hanging out with the bros usually devolves into "hey man i got this cool poo poo on my youtubes" and that works pretty OK as long as your pals are OK with doing battle with the lovely mouse substitute.

The one big problem is it doesn't do Hulu+, as as previously stated Boxee is a fork of XBMC so it suffers the same shortfall. I bought a cheap roku to serve as a replacement.

Remote thinger is girlfriend friendly and some of the native apps are appealing to her. There's like some sort of fitness or yoga channel idk and she likes it, along with the netflix and web poo poo.

Smartphone remote is decent albeit lovely in the grand scheme of things.

For super serious nerd poo poo that requires super computer power you have the option of either building a full power mediaPC, buying incredibly expensive (for now) wireless HDMI, or doing like I did and running a long rear end HDMI cable through the walls/under the carpet.

IN GENERAL I suggest building a mediaPC or a zotac zbox or something like that already suggested in the thread. Seeing as how they are full-blown computers, they can do anything a computer can do, which alleviates all of the platform-specific issues that plague pre-made media delivery systems. A zotac or a mediaPC can do everything a boxee, roku, or appletv can do along with being a full-blown computer. Put XBMC on it for a slick looking frontend when you want to impress your friends, and you can also read the forums or watch newgrounds (excuse the example of a weird website nothing would support because why?) or whatever the gently caress you want because it's a computer.

While I read you're computer-parts phobic please understand that assembling computers in the yool2012 is far easier than it was back in the day. Parts are literally legos, fit way fuckin easier, and OS installs are cake. There are linux distos that come pre-installed and optimized with XBMC+codecs and poo poo for your sperging pleasure.

Personally, I have a Boxee+Roku+Leaf antenna in the living room for general purpose. There is an HDMI cable to the TV for nerd business but I use my phone as a keyboard+mouse which blows dogshit, but is OK for navigating just a little bit.

Bedroom TV is just a roku which is cool for the lady who likes to have TV on the background while she reads.

e: Getting a decent DVR for an antenna is seriously troublesome. It appears the best option is MythTV and that's getting a little into the mega-sperg territory.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 8, 2012

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I always thought the point of ClearQAM was that cable companies serve both a for-profit business (selling premium channels) and a public good to give people local affiliates where they can't get it over the air.

Yes. QAM cablecasts just like OTA are in the public interest, and for the public good. Any effort to prune those is literally total bullshit oppression by monopolist oligarchs and should warrant extreme reprisal. Not being sarcastic.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I bought some poo poo on amazon instant video and its only playback option is on a Kindle. Now, I have a Kindle so I wasn't too awfully bummed but that was pretty annoying and now I'm wary of that garbage.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That seems odd. Stuff I've rented/bought plays on all kinds of devices. Do you mean it won't play on other devices, or do you mean your Kindle is the only thing that shows up in the "deliver to" drop down?

Worked on computer but not android, sorry should been more specific. I've got some dumb android stick attached to my tv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Well, after some digging through XDA is discovered that you can stream Amazon Instant videos on Android by using the Firefox browser. BTW Amazon Instant Video doesn't have an Android app and regardless of sideloaded Flash you can't stream them on Browser or Chrome. So there's that.

Between Hulu+, Netflix, some native android content repositories (NBC app for example) and now Amazon Instant Video I'm feeling pretty content content using a RK808B as a media center, replacing my Boxee Box. It's much faster, more agile, and more importantly - not completely deprecated by everyone.

e: Also, I shelled out the $15.00 for the SlingPlayer app for Android which works fuckin great for sports games and poo poo that you can't get without a cable sub. We've got a communal cable box with an HD sling at work that people can use, which pretty much owns. Also the HBO Go app for Android has come a long way and is also total ownage.

I stream :filez: from a samba share using MX Player and ES File Explorer. XBMC would be cool theoretically but doesn't run for poo poo, even using the lightweight NEON versions.

Smythe fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 30, 2013