Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

TheScott2K posted:

Pretty sure ESPN3 requires both a participating ISP and a cable tv subscription.

Not with all providers. I have Comcast internet only and have happily been using ESPN3 for a couple years. I believe Time Warner requires some sort of subscription that includes ESPN though.

No cable is tougher if you want sports. I can get most stuff I want, but for the remainder I've just resigned myself to going to the bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

Espn3/Espnu. I had knology and time warner in other residences, and they didn't require tv subscription to view the streaming content. Comcast requires a login and blocks streaming without a cable subscription.

I have Comcast internet without a cable subscription and for two seasons now I've watched most of my football through ESPN3. Aside from the local ABC games, you get all of the ESPN / ESPN2 games on nationally. ESPN U is indeed blocked, but I don't think it was even available streaming as of last year.

Unless they changed the ESPN / ESPN2 thing recently, which I would be pissed about.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Well guess I'm gonna have to pirate the new GoT season until then. I can't use HBO Go on my parents' subscription because they have moved since the last time I did that, and HBO Go doesn't know how to process that information. By all accounts I can find on the Internet, fixing this would take hours on the phone with Comcast until they find someone to talk to me who knows what the hell HBO Go even is, from my parents' phone while pretending to be one of them. Which doesn't sound fun.

Not that this helps you at all, but since I moved it's been basically impossible for me to log into my Comcast account for any reason (most notably, authentication to stuff like ESPN/HBO). I've gone through the routine of calling them, doing a bunch of stupid stuff that I know won't work, getting escalated, blah blah blah a number of times and it ends up working for a week or so. Then it stops working again and I have to call them so they can try to upsell me stuff and continue to not fix the problem.

So Sling TV works on my Xbox One now and I'm planning on calling and getting rid of Comcast entirely, although I'm not really looking forward to that phone call.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

porktree posted:

Once I get HBO Now on my iPhone, can it be cast to my Chromecast, or is it ATV only?

I see no Chromecast option.

Edit: That said, I can log in from my Surface, so for the time being I'll probably just HDMI out to my TV. Not ideal, but I already have too many things hooked up to my TV to consider an Apple TV.

tk fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 7, 2015

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
HBO/Game of Thrones streaming trip report:

The quality on Sling just wasn't there for me. I guess it doesn't really bother me when I'm watching Property Brothers or some other nonsense, but my girlfriend and I both agreed that the picture quality was noticeably a step below perfect. I'm all hardwired on a gigabit connection too, so it shouldn't be a bandwidth thing, at least on my end.

HBO Now onto my TV via HDMI had pretty excellent picture quality. There were a handful of times that I was dropping frames, but it usually got back up to speed pretty quickly.

So, I'm sticking with HBO Now for the moment. I would certainly prefer that I could directly Chromecast or maybe get an app on the Xbox One, but for the small number of times that I actually plan on using it, pulling out an HDMI cable isn't the end of the world.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Don Lapre posted:

https://www.tivo.com/TLP4

$299 for a tivo roamio OTA /w lifetime

I want to get this, but I can't really justify $300 when the only thing I really want to do with it is record Jeopardy.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

beejay posted:

Does anyone else have Sling TV? Is it lovely for everybody or am I unlucky? When I watch on my computer it frequently has issues with the audio skipping/repeating for a few minutes, which then leaves the audio behind for several minutes. Then it will just lose everything and say "an error occurred" and if I'm lucky, it will recover. If I'm not, I am hosed and I have to go to the Roku and hope it works there. On the Roku, changing channels takes 3-5 minutes to actually produce a picture. It's loving lovely and I'm likely going to cancel. I'd write them an email or something but I doubt they'd give a drat.

I do, and it is lovely, and they don't care. I haven't had the massively delayed audio that you're seeing, but it frequently has poo poo quality or just doesn't work. If you contact their support, you'll be lucky if they provide you with the "gently caress you" template response for the right issue.

I mostly use it for a login to ESPN for college football/Monday Night Football, and most of the time that works, but it's shaky enough that I'll cancel after football season.

tk fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 13, 2015

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Hey, I have a question about DirecTV Now.

It appears to hold an advantage over Sling (which I have now) in that it carries broadcast networks in HD. The only reason I have cable at all right now is so I can watch live sports -- digital antennas apparently get super lovely reception from my apartment, so it's the only way. But it's SD-only, because I don't want to pay Comcast one red cent more than I have to. If I get DirecTV Now, and ditch Sling and basic cable, I save money and theoretically get broadcast networks in HD again.

DirecTV Now doesn't have CBS, but apparently that's getting fixed soon??? Everything seems good except I found this while looking at the DirecTV plans.

This would seem to indicate that DirecTV Now comes with NBC on-demand content, but can't stream the channel live. But NBCSN IS available live. Same deal with Fox vs Fox Sports. ABC doesn't appear to have a Sports offshoot, and I dunno if CBS does.

I don't have much experience with each network's "sports" offshoot. Can someone tell me what happens if a local NFL game goes out on NBC? Would it also be on NBCSN? If not, if it would be only on the main NBC broadcast, could I use DirecTV Now to see it "on demand" while it's still happening? In either case, what happens if a game is on ABC? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last year I had PSVue in an area where none of the local channels were live. I was able to use my PSVue login to watch local NFL games through the Fox Sports Go app and the NBCSports app. I was totally out of luck with CBS games.

Sports on ABC are generally available through WatchESPN since they're all Disney.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there any way to set up a Shield TV so that is uses the photos stored on a connected NAS as a screensaver? I'm trying to find an app that will do this (and connecting to Prime Photos would work too).

I have an app that I believe is called Photo Gallery that works as slideshow screensaver. I don’t know if it will work with NAS, but right now I have it pulling images from my Flickr account to use as the screensaver.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

RZA Encryption posted:

YouTube TV update: the fox channel they show in Seattle isn't Seattle fox. It's some weird generic fox that's showing soccer instead of the Seahawks game. Weird. It's also practically impossible to pick up fox with an antenna downtown.

Can you use the login on Fox Sports Go to watch the game there? I’ve had the same problem with Sounders games on PSVue, but I can at least get Seahawks through Fox Sports Go.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FISHMANPET posted:

My wife is addicted to Investigation Discovery, so whatever service(s) I choose need to support that.

If she doesn’t need ID specifically, there is a ton of true crime content on various streaming sources. You can get all of Forensic Files on Youtube, which can keep you occupied for a bit.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

3. My biggest interest would be NFL games. What services are available for those?

One one hand, YoutubeTV has always been a lot more true-to-live for me than any other service. Everything else seems to be a minute or so behind, and it’s always extremely cool to have text messages spoil two plays ahead for you.

On the other hand, it doesn’t have Red Zone, which is the best.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

HycoCam posted:

Live in an area where most folks I know have DSL at best--and it is slow DSL. With the lockdowns and lack of entertainment options I've been setting up friends with 4TB external drives with enough content to get them through the coming months.

My question is: Is there anything better than the MiBox costing about the same?

I've been using MiBox's as the link between TV and external harddrive. Have used a few other options, like older WD devices, but the Android TV on MiBox is tough to beat. Load up Kodi and it is a great interface with decent response that anyone's mom can figure out. I know the Shield is better, but also 2x the cost. Just wondering if there is something better out there.

Honestly, even if there is something better out there, I would recommend sticking with what works and what you’ve already been giving to people. Presumably you’re also tech support for these things, and the fewer configurations you have to support the better for your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I got my HBO through prime primarily so I wouldn’t have to sign in to another app. I also like that I can make the subtitles really small.