Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rhyno posted:

We use the 360 for Netflix and Amazon Prime but as everyone knows it sucks a dick for streaming from your own network unless the files are in very specific formats.

There's several applications to fix this. I like using PS3 Media Server. Just tell it what folders to access and if your computer can play the file, it can transcode it on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're using an Apple TV, I'd definitely recommend using something like iFlicks. It will either remux or re-encode stuff to an h.264 profile and add the right tags so stuff shows up properly in iTunes which your Apple TV can see. It's pretty cool to just fire up the ATV and go to a list of all your shows broken down by seasons and of course your movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

As long as they provide a free box they can kill analog cable.

Comcast in my area killed analog two years ago or so. If you have the super basic cable you get two free boxes. The picture quality is awful for some reason but we barely use it anyway. The only reason we have the basic cable is because it's the same price to bundle internet + TV than it is to have just internet.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

If you have a digital tuner run the cable directly to the tv since they still run clearqam in most or all places.

Yeah I did that as recent as a month ago. It's like 2 regular channels, 5 PBS feeds, and 3 or 4 shopping channels. It's not worth the hassle. I just leave the box connected to TV. We've pretty much moved to season passes for the shows we watch. It's not too many shows to begin with.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Parlett316 posted:

I have the lowest comcast package you can get for cable tv since it only adds 10 bucks to my Internet plan. I get the major networks in HD and a bunch of random weird channels like THIS Baltimore plus that crazy Chicago super channel.

Comcast gave me one their poo poo little boxes and it gave me 6 channels all in SD.

What region are you in? I'd pay ten bucks for that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Comcast offers a basic package in all of their markets i believe. It also gives you bundle pricing on your internet. Here it was like $15 and knocked $11 off my internet price so net cost to me was another $4/m.

I'll have to call and find out. I have that basic package, but they just gave me a DTA and all the basic channels are SD.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's programs out there that can convert those mkvs into something iTunes can use. If the file is already h.264 it just takes a minute or two.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

I have programs that can convert to H264, but I don't want that... PS3MediaServer pretty much converts the file on the fly to a format the PS3 can play.

What programs will convert a 44-60 minute MKV to H264 that quickly? How about WMVs?

MKV is just a container. Odds are the actual video is in h.264. Those programs just take it out of the container and into mp4 or m4v, which iTunes can use. That just takes a few minutes. If the video file is something else, like wmv, it will take longer. The program I use is iFlicks. There's a few out there that work just as well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Maneki Neko posted:

Not to be a double bumping jerk and this may be the wrong thread, but does anything out there actually support Netflix profiles yet? Is it just the PS3?

The demonstration video seems to be showing crap that doesn't actually exist yet on the web, and I haven't find any device apps that are profile aware.

Apple TV supports it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

For those two sports things, I recommend the Apple TV. It will do video if it's in your PC's iTunes library. It won't stream from websites but it does everything else pretty well.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's a handful of exclusives on Amazon. Off the top of my head is Justified, which is a really good show and probably worth the price of admission.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wow 3 years is a long wait but I understand why. One step closer to HBO without a cable sub.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Magic Jack blows. Do you really need a land line?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

My mother in law has a magic jack. Every time she calls, the call quality is poo poo. It constantly disconnects the call.

As for boosting your cell reception call AT&T and ask for a femtocell. They might give it to you or they might make you buy it. Either way if cell reception is a critical thing for you it's worth having.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Call Me Charlie posted:

I'm currently watching El Rey.

Is it possible for individual channels to die?

Is there any good content on El Rey?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

It strikes me that when and if any IPTV company gets big enough to pull off something like that they'll probably be As Bad As Comcast :smith:

Also I'm a little mad that it's only at this point in the process (wherein the only thing left to do is drive to a Comcast office to give them back all their poo poo) that I realize HBO Now is Apple-TV-exclusive. What the gently caress v:mad:v Guess I have to use my parents' HBO membership to sneak my way onto HBO Go again.

It's a timed-exclusive. Just a few months IIRC.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Here's what I can find about HBO Now wrt live stuff:

"The service won’t offer live TV, but an HBO spokesperson said that programming will be scheduled to appear on HBO Now when it premieres on HBO, and live events will typically come to HBO Now within 24 hours." So it's technically not a live stream similar to what many channels are doing now. It sounds like, for example, when the new GOT comes on Sunday at 10pm or whatever, someone flips the switch that makes it available on HBO Now. Live stuff would be things like boxing.

As for the difference between HBO GO, HBO Now, and what Sling is doing, here's what I can figure out.

-HBO GO: REQUIRES authentication with a cable/satellite provider.

-HBO Now: Totally standalone. Right now, only on Apple poo poo.

-Sling TV thing: Live stream and VOD. Standalone, but it's an add-on on top of the base Sling package, so it's 20+15.

So for cord cutters, it all depends on what devices you have and what you want to pay.

Aeka: As for your video quality issues, what's your connection speeds? I use HBO GO on my computers and ATV all the time, and it looks fantastic. I wonder if it's something with your ISP.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

nerdrum posted:

I am keeping my internet with TWC though, is it possible to just directly connect the extra coax to my tv and still get channels or is twc encrypting everything?

I think it's a YMMV thing. Just try it. At best, free TV, at worst, what you've got now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Slowhanded posted:

The true worst case is they detect it and bill you a year later.

Can actually detect just a coax going into a TV? Wouldn't it be on them for not putting a filter on the line.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

loquacius posted:

Has anyone had experience with Dish internet? I can't help but notice that as advertised it is considerably cheaper than Comcast and probably a good deal less evil too

You mean their satellite based Internet? If you enjoy high prices, slow speeds, and ridiculously small quotas, than its the perfect ISP for you!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

http://www.dish.com/entertainment/internet-phone/satellite-internet/

Check out all the fine print.

First, those prices are only with certain TV packages. Then there's a 2-year contract. There's a $10 modem fee and I'm going to bet you can't roll your own modem with their stuff. There's also a possible $300 activation fee :v: You also have off-peak quotas and on-peak quotas.

Satellite internet is basically your last option if you're in the woods or something like that.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

So its PBS the only "premium" AppleTV channel that doesn't require provider activation? I'm trying to watch from Canada so obviously I won't be activating with my "provider" any time soon. Was hoping some of the other channels were just geo-locked and not provider-locked :(

It's more the fault of the cable/satellite providers than Apple. Hopefully that rumored streaming service happens and can solve some of your problems. In the meantime, hit up a US friend that has a login you can use.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Will registering my AppleTV deregister theirs? :aaaaa:

I honestly have no idea. I would imagine not. The registering process is really just a way to authenticate your device without doing the username/password thing on the Apple TV. If you have a buddy just give it a shot.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Apple just emailed me an offer for a free 30-day trial of HBO Now - check your inbox

I think everyone gets that if they sign up for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If I get Hulu Plus or whatever the paid version is called, can I access EVERYTHING or do some things require a provider login?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Some things are just flat out not available on non-desktop environments. Yes even when you pay up.

That I remember from a long time ago when Hulu Plus first became a thing.

I wanted to give Hulu another chance since they've added a lot of content that I do want. There's still too many 'gotchas' though.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

AlmightyBob posted:

Netflix is testing ads, goddamit.

It's just for their own poo poo I think. I'm guessing they'll just do it at the start or end of something. Not the worst thing.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

If you're gonna pay $15 for one channel, HBO is totally worth it. Their back catalog is huge. So much amazing content.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'm surprised ESPN hasn't toyed with offering their own a la carte streaming package like HBO. They have enough content to justify it and live sports is like the one reason many people still have cable.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What sports do you watch? That will definitely determine your options, if any. Live sports is still the #1 reason for a cable/sat subscription.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

jabro posted:

Every year there are whispers of that. The goon sharing thread is half filled with people freaking out at the beginning of every season.

It actually did happen this year, though. Find the thread and read it. Several goons had their accounts banned.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Maybe get to know your neighbors and maybe they will let you do it? I've considered for a long time asking my next door neighbor if they want to split WiFi. I haven't because that sort of financial arrangement seems a little messy but if they asked me to put a HDHomerun in my house for them and gave me a little cash for the favor I would do it in a heartbeat.

Whatever happened to your plan to own and operate the internet service in your condo?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Eh, it's more diverse this time, more vertical than horizontal, which has the potential of being even worse (lol rip net neutrality).

Of note, ATTs plan of acquiring Time Warner does not include getting Time Warner Cable.

Time Warner Cable was acquired by Charter earlier this year.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ixian posted:

..and it has been renamed to Spectrum (I pay my parents cable bill in San Antonio) as of a couple months ago. Hopefully this will lead to less online confusion around whether ATT is buying the cable provider or the content provider, which have been separate for years in spite of sharing the Time Warner brand.

There's still rolling that out. All my poo poo is still Time Warner branded and I'm still on their pricing plans. I hope that changes really quick because I have to do the 'don't jack my bill up 60 bucks for another year' dance.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I'd been bumming off my friends cable login for years and he cut the cord so now I gotta do the same. I've looked at Playstation Vue, Sling, and DirecTV Now. Are there any others I'm missing?

From the offerings, it's down to Playstation Vue and DirectTV. Are there any huge caveats to them? I know that PS Vue doesn't have Viacom, but their $30 plan pretty much has what I want. On the other hand, both services have a very comparable line-up at the $35 level, and DirecTV has the Viacom stuff.

Has anyone who used both have any comments?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Wow thanks for that info. I just assumed that DirectTV Now would have app logins for everything. The DVR stuff isn't a big deal for me but if PS Vue has it, I'll definitely use it.

edit:

So here's a question regarding their DVR service. Right now I have CBS All-Access (you can laugh if you want, it's ok). Looking at the PS Vue line-up, I'll get a local CBS station. Can I DVR stuff on that channel, effectively eliminating the need for CBS All-Access? Like, is there some sort of weird thing preventing that? I know how weird and backwards CBS is with their streaming poo poo.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 19, 2017

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Amazon Video for Apple TV just announced. It's official.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Yeah, DVR is still missing at this point. 72hr rewind has expanded to more channels and app logins have grown to over 50 now, but still missing DVR.

Is there a list of what channels have the rewind and which apps have logins ?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I got an email from Vue today saying that they are raising my rate $10/mo with no new channels, so I am planning on switching to something else. How is Sling these days? It seems to be my cheapest option while keeping the Fox Sports RSN that I watch like 90% of the time.

Is there any difference in stream quality amongst all the different options in the market now? Or is everything pretty comparable?

That's crazy. Did they have any sort of justification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Signed up for DTV Now. I'm watching Law and Order on WEtv and it's the weirdest thing. I guess to fit the runtime, they speed it up. It's like 1.2x. It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's juuuuust sped up enough to where your brain says "Hey something is off."