Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I'm considering cutting the cord to cable after my Comcast bill jumped from $75 to $135 in a little over 4 years. I've bought a little time though... Got customer retention on the phone today, and got a much better package for $35 LESS for 6 months. They seemed to not budge from he prices listed online, until I did the fake out with requesting to start the cancelation process.

But anyway, what brings me to the thread. I remember seeing a website at one point that broke down when almost any tv show aired on other streaming formats. Fanhatten does a decent jobs at telling you which service a show is on in general, butnthisnsite would say thing like "Hulu Plus 7 day after airing", "iTunes next day for $1.99", or "all past seasons only".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, I am also not sure if I could drop down in internet speeds. Right now I am on 15mbps for $50 (Which I am getting a $10 discount on), and the only step down is 3mbps for $30. My only thought is that if I am downloading large files my wife's laptop would probably be crippled. I am not sure what speed I had at my parents house, but whenever I was downloading stuff everyone would complain that their internet stopped working.

I am sure I could probably talk Comcast down if I really tried.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Oct 10, 2012

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Astro7x posted:

But anyway, what brings me to the thread. I remember seeing a website at one point that broke down when almost any tv show aired on other streaming formats. Fanhatten does a decent jobs at telling you which service a show is on in general, butnthisnsite would say thing like "Hulu Plus 7 day after airing", "iTunes next day for $1.99", or "all past seasons only".

I still can't find this drat website... the best I have found so far is Clicker.com, which you can search an existing episode and it will tell you where you can view it.

It's a step in the right direction, but not very helpful for shows not currently on the air.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
We currently use out PS3 for our main way of getting content from the internet to our TV. But we're getting a second TV soon and trying to figure out the best way to basically replicate our experience with the PS3 for a lot less.

The main things we do with our PS3 which we love are
-The Netflix, Hulu and MLB At Bat Apps.
-The ability to stream pretty much any video file to my TV without having to convert it before hand w/ PS3 Media Server
-The ability to copy files over to the PS3 and watch them locally without needing the computer on to stream.

Is there any box out there that will handle this the best? We're an apple household, so it seems like Apple TV would be best because you can do airplay streaming and stuff like that, but I don't believe it can stream the MKV files which would be wonderful. The Roku 3 seems like a good option too, but I really know nothing about how it can stream files ala PS3 Media Server which is important.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Joe Don Baker posted:

There's programs out there that can convert those mkvs into something iTunes can use. If the file is already h.264 it just takes a minute or two.

I have programs that can convert to H264, but I don't want that... PS3MediaServer pretty much converts the file on the fly to a format the PS3 can play. Does something like this exist for Roku or AppleTV?

What programs will convert a 44-60 minute MKV to H264 that quickly? How about WMVs?

Thwomp posted:

Use MKVtoMP4 to do quick conversions. It'll tag stuff and add artwork too so everything is all pretty. It even recently added official iTunes tags and artwork.

If that tool doesn't work or work well enough, there's always Handbrake but it takes longer.

That looks to be PC only, all my stuff is Mac (hence the integration with Apple TV that intrigued me).

I have handbreak, it's slow as hell... I also have Episode and Compressor too. I just DON'T want to convert every single item just so I can watch it one and trash it.

Edit: So what does Plex do for Roku? does it only stream compatible formats, or does it convert on the fly like PS3 Media Server?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 17, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sounds like a Roku 3 and Plex will pretty much replicate PS3 Media server then, awesome! Thanks everyone.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Well.. I was comparing different services, I guess DirecTV now is off the table.

I was willing to put up with their lovely 20 hour Cloud DVR in exchange for having the AMC/Discovery/Scripps/Viacom channels. But I am not paying $10 more for less.... even with HBO.

Is there any notable reason to get Playstation Vue over YouTube TV? Those are what I am between now.

I'm losing DirecTV satellite service at the end of the month, so need to find an alternative

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there an ideal streaming device for the best possible performance for apps for cord cutting?

In my experience... I've just used Roku devices. I have a Roku Ultra, a Roku 2, and a TCL 2018 6 Series with the Roku OS built in. I also have a LG OLED TV, which has pretty decent apps. I'd say the Roku Premiere is the best in terms of speed and responsiveness, followed closely by the LG OLED built in apps. Then a tie for the Roku 2/TLC Roku OS. And then a bunch of other stuff which I think is crap, like my Sony Bluray Player's interface.

But is there is any other device that offers performance better than the Roku Ultra in terms of speed/responsiveness?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Man, if only Philo had one station worth watching for that price. It's just TV to have on in the background with that channel list, no channels with must see shows for me. My wife watched Walking Dead still I guess, but it would be cheaper to just get AMC Premiere for $5.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

FCKGW posted:

Maybe. I'm just going to wait to see what Apple comes out with at the end of the month until I make any decisions.

It likely wouldn't launch until the end of the year. It's not like any of these streaming services have a contract

bull3964 posted:

No it wouldn't because you can't do that. You can only pay the extra $5 for AMC Premiere if you already subscribe to AMC through your cable provider.

What? That's bullshit. Then I can literally buy the episodes for $2.68 each on Amazon and still come out cheaper than Philo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I also literally have a TCL upstairs and a LG OLED downstairs, and agree that the TCL 6-Series is the best value you can get in terms of price/quality.

Weltlich posted:

What's the diff. between the series 4 and 6? We're also new to the 4K world.

Rtings is your friend, but just get the 6 series.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/tcl-s405-vs-tcl-r617/449/613

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Paying an extra $50 for unlimited data on Comcast seems insane, and makes me worried about switching to all streaming services in my home. It would be cheaper to just get Satellite or Cable.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I just use a lot of data each month for torrenting and stuff like that. I regularly approach 1TB with my whole family using DirecTV.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’s always important to remember that Comcast give you two overages in a rolling 12 month period, I usually space them out around every 6 months or so.

Is it every 12 months? I thought it was just in general.

I went over my limit one month by putting a new hard drive on my PS4 and downloading a ton of PSPlus games and not thinking about the data limits.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what is the best way to watch and record local channels if that is all I am interested in? I am fine with getting an antenna and a set top box if it means I am done once I purchase everything

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Cool... lots of stuff to look into.

Basically I was able to get a DirecTV receiver from my brother from where he lives on his account, which has everything except local channels.

Doing some research, it looks like I can buy a used AM21 receiver, which allows me to plug in an antenna and potentially add my locals back into the guide and work with the DVR

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Is there a good overview of what channels you can get with a borrowed Cable/Satellite login from a paying friend or family member?

Like, is it completely dumb to pay for Hulu if I can just download the apps for all the channels on my Roku and watch the on demand channels through that? Are there channels that don't offer their content that are only avaialble by paying for X service? Suppose.tv doesn't really factor that into what you can get.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Croatoan posted:

I do this. There's no way to get an "overview" only because different cable and satellite companies have different packages so unless you've got access to someone who just gets the biggest package it'd depend on what's offered. The only content I've found myself using though is Disney and Nickelodeon for the kids. I suppose any Discovery properties could be tempting to you. Otherwise I 100% recommend Hulu especially if you pay for the no-ad tier.

The login I am using is subscribed to absolutely everything.

So I have three TVs in my home, each with a Roku. One TV will have a DirecTV receiver on it with a DVR, but no local channels (since the DVR is from an another account out of state). I need to get this special box and an antenna plugged into it to get the locals added as part of the guide and to do DVR capabilities. I'm thinking about adding a Tivo w/ antenna to the second TV to record and watch locals, and then just use the roku app + DirecTV login for all the cable shows on demand. Then doing the third TV as just Roku w/ DirecTV Login Apps. I think in this set up, all I would be paying for is the Tivo subscription, Tivo Box, and antenna costs. So very cheap and pretty much gets me everything. The majority of stuff I personally watch is on the local channels, so I think it's worth having the Tivo in the second room with an antenna.

I started trying all the trials for the different Live TV streaming services just to mess with them and see if any of them are worth the cost for the convenience. Was extremely frustrated with Playstation Vue last night, since I was trying to tune in late to a live 3 hour show and was switching devices. So my options were to View Live or Start From Beginning, and every time you started from the beginning you had to slowly fast forward to where you left off. The service wasn't smart enough to continue where I left off on another device during a live show. Then my remote fell off my elliptical when working out and went back a menu, and then I had to fast forward all over again to get back to where I left off. I've also noticed that the performance of PS Vue varies greatly depending on which device I use. The cheaper Roku devices we have makes skipping through a 3 minute commercial difficult and frustrating, no issues with the PS4 or Roku Ultra.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
That sucks. I have zero interest in all of those channels added to YTTV

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Keyser_Soze posted:

I think a lot of the buffering issues are equipment/app based. I use Hulu and HBONow on a Shield as well as multiple ATV4K's and the Shield is where there is a 97% chance to see buffering and farting. :colbert:

Coincidence? :iiam:

During my week trial of Playstation Vue last week, totally different experience using it on a PS4, Roku Premiere, and the TCL Roku Interface on my TV.

I suggest people try these things on multiple devices during the trial periods.

Just started DirecTV now. Liking it more than PS Vue, but the 20 hour DVR is pathetic.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
It's $100/mo and still requires an internet connection, for now. I know their goal is to move the service to the 5G cellular network when they merge with Sprint, but that's way too high for what they are offering.

$100/mo, doesn't require broadband internet, and an app with the same experience on your phone/tablet? Sure, I can see the appeal in that for some people that don't want to pay $70+ a month for an internet connection at home. But that seems like a very niche market.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
A lot of news about Disney Plus coming out today.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8wctVg9zS4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrXNtj84owc

If they offer 4K+HDR for $7/mo, that's on par with renting a single UHD movie on Vudu or wherever you get movies from

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

EugeneJ posted:

DuckTales and Goof Troop are all I see for Disney Afternoon content

https://twitter.com/azalben/status/1116502539837550603

Interesting content lineup. Malcolm in the Middle sticks out...

Very little Disney Jr content though. Doc McStuffins, Sofia The First, Vamparina, Puppy Dog Pals, Lion Guard, Elena of Avalor, Fancy Nancy, Muppet Babies, PJ Masks... that's the stuff my kid loves right now

Edit: the only thing I haven't seen mentioned is if they'll let you download content for offline viewing like Netflix and Amazon does.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 12, 2019

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Every piece of content will be available for offline viewing.

Glorious... I prefer not to pirate stuff when I can, but viewing shows on the train on my way to work is a huge pain in the rear end when I have to use data

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Could they be waiting for contracts for content to expire with other streaming providers? Kind of pointless to launch the service when I can still view all of the recent and relevant stuff on Netflix.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I know I am all over the place in this thread.... but I'll ask anyway.

So SlingTV has a special for 3 months for $15/mo on Blue or Orange. They also have an offer for the AirTV Player bundle where if you prepay for 3 months it's free. So it includes the AIrTV player and device to plug in an antenna (Worth $100 to $120) plus an RCA antenna.

Basically, can I subscribe to Blue for $45 for three months and get the AirTV thing for free? Which I understand, does not require the sling service to display the local channels on your TV through the Roku app?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Those Roku streaming sticks are garbage, and the RokuOS on TCL TVs is usable. But I think the high end devices are fine

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I got my DirecTV AM21 Tuner, so now I have one TV in my home that has full cable and some local channels that can record to a DVR. Now just to figure out the other two TVs, and install the outdoor antenna because my indoor one is garbage and doesn't get NBC.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I did the trials for PSVue, DirecTV Now, and Sling... decided to move forward with the Sling Blue for $15/mo for 3 months deal they have going on.

The DVR functionality is ideal for me. Can start a show live on one device, resume the show on a different device. Skipping commercials shows a thumbnail instead of doing it blindly. 30 second ahead and 10 second back means you can skip commercials pretty effortlessly and end up exactly where you intent to, and the buffering to resume playback was the fastest compared to the other two. It also performs equally well on all my devices.

PSV and DTVN just had too many problems for my liking. I never got around to the YouTubeTV trial, but I know I'll never go for it at $50.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
PlutoTV is adding BET, Comedy Central, MTV and Nickelodeon

https://deadline.com/2019/04/viacom-adds-four-flagship-channels-to-pluto-tv-streaming-service-newfronts-1202602712/

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Man, I must be the only one with a huge deductible on my home insurance...

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Apparently YouTube is putting their original content like Cobra Kai up for free with ads, will no longer require buying whatever their YouTube Premium service is called anymore.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Amex Blue Cash will be offering 6% back on Streaming services

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credit-cards/amex-blue-cash-preferred-streaming-transit-bonus-categories/

quote:

Starting May 9, 2019, the card will offer the following additional rewards categories — on top of its existing rewards at U.S. supermarkets and U.S. gas stations — with no changes to its $95 annual fee:
Earn an unlimited 6% cash back on eligible streaming services. This includes Hulu, Netflix, Spotify and Pandora.

I am also getting 15% back (up to $10) on SlingTV until July 15th through my Amex Offers

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Charles posted:

You have to sign in for that. Comcast goes to terrible lengths to hide straightforward pricing, IMO.

Comcast has anything but straightforward pricing.... you probably have to log in so you get the right rate card for your area.

Oh no options and just comcast? Here is your overly inflated pricing. Oh now you have RCN and ATT U-Verse? Here are the new and improved reduced rates that are competitive!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Three Olives posted:

They all do that bullshit, we just got rid of U-Verse because I actually took some time to look at the bill and see how badly they were ripping us off, we were paying as much if not more in fees, taxes and surcharges than we were for the television service including an "HD Technology Fee".

I called and was like WTF is an HD Technology Fee and they were like "Well, we are offering the very best in High Definition Television, but if you no longer wish to have HDTV we can remove that!". Well I have loving gigabit internet, I can watch high definition videos of cat anuses for free with a $30 FireTV, why are you charging me $10 a month to access a signal you are already sending over my fiber line?

Markets are transitioning away from the HD fee and just raising all packages $10 more.

Wonder if that is to then replace it with a 4K fee

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I may be wrong here about the Hulu home address thing... but you just need to sign in from your home location once a month to be able to stream at other locations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MarcusSA posted:

Did anyone see T-Mobile’s tv service? Lol

$90 a month and you have to use their set top box.

It seems like you get a boat load of channels but no hbo and lol at $90 a month and needing to use their probably poo poo tier box.

https://www.t-mobile.com/tv

I would imagine that this is the groundwork for something else.

Like when 5G is nationwide, you sell these boxes with a 5G modem in them. Sell it in rural areas where Comcast wants $5,000 to run a internet line from the street out to your house.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

MarcusSA posted:

Lol as if T-Mobile has any interest or presence in those areas.

T-Mobile works perfectly fine at my In-laws place in upper Michigan. They were in a similar situation where the cable company wanted an insane amount of money to install a line to their home. My father in-law just went onto the pole and added the line himself. Then he has a friend that is in an area with Comcast subscribe to the service, do the "self install", and then just took the box to their house and set the account on auto pay with a credit card. Like... it was that, or pay several thousand dollars to dig a trench to their home to get internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
There is some deal going on right now for a TiVo Bolt OTA for $50 off

http://pages.email.tivo.com/back-to-school-sales

That's something... valid through 8/23

A lifetime subscription breaks even in about 2 years.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 21, 2019