Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Is the 2019 Shield as great as it seems for upscaling 720 and 1080 content? I’ve been using a 2015 Shield for my main TV in a while but I want either an ATV4K or 2019 Shield primarily for Dolby Vision and maybe to look my stuff on Plex look better

It would be with an LG C8. I’ve primarily been using my 2015 Shield for apps that aren’t on Web OS and using the TV’s interface for Plex and Netflix because the built in apps support DV, i would rather just stick with one app/source and never have to worry about my apps or OS not getting updated. Plus the Shield seems to direct play more stuff than the built in Plex app and the built in app doesn’t seem to do a terribly good job of upscaling.

If the Apple TV 4K upscales well I would consider that too, especially since I have an iPhone (no other Apple products and I have a Samsung phone as well for work). I hated the remote last time I used an Apple TV though and I think I prefer the UI of Android TV

Audio compatibility isn’t a terribly big concern, I’m using a basic 5.1 setup so DD+ and DTS are my only real concerns

Anyway, I guess the tl;dr is wondering if the Shield does a noticeably better job of upscaling than the built in Web OS app for Plex and Netflix. As expected, Reddit threads are all over the place

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU