Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So my cable/ISP advertises that I get espn3 with my service, and I have viewed programs on it before when espn had IP verification. Now, they've gone to watchespn format with all the live channels, and are asking for a login, and don't list my provider. Anybody deal with this?

Thinking about cutting cable, being able to get some of the college football games that aren't OTA world be great.

Edit: anyone have any comments on which device will allow the most access to college football? Also interested in possibly adding a DVR, any preference on that?

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Is there any set top box or smart tv that has a built in browser that does flash? Espn3 requires flash to load. The watchespn app that some boxes advertise won't work.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Don't expect flash on anything new. Embedded flash was abandoned at 10.3.

Also my roku does all the ESPN channels just fine.

Yeah, if my ISP/cable provider paid for watchespn I could stream all the channels too, but we are only allowed espn3 which absolutely requires flash, and a browser. Can't be accessed through the watchespn app because my provider does not pay for that, I've already talked to tech support about it.

I'm -assuming that this is a 'contract hasn't run out yet' type issue, and ESPN is once again changing the format of their online services, and this espn3 as a separate thing will go away. Doesn't help me at all for the coming college football season tho.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

tonic posted:

So your cable provider pays for ESPN3 on the web but not via the apps? Some of the content on watchespn.com is free, but you're saying you can use your ISP login to view the paid stuff on the web but not via the app? Weird!
Yeah. Except it's IP authentication, no login. They talk about it on the watchESPN FAQ. I can view espn3 only, none of the OTA channels.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cornjob posted:

http://www.cnet.com/products/magnavox-tbhp500-series-dvr/

Expensive, but interesting. Magnavox OTA DVR.

I find it incredibly interesting that only a few years ago, every home in America had a VCR and could record live tv at will.... And now almost no one has that ability outside of a cable subscription.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The need is a LOT smaller, and for some people completely negated. But whatever the reason - it's interesting to me, that we've pretty much lost a capability (on the consumer end) that was once standard.

Are there any options for a dvr unit that is just bare-bones, takes the same place that the VCR once did? I'd just like the ability to pause live TV for sporting events; it's a feature I've gotten dependent on trying to watch football, and kids that need attention. Sling TV is perfect for me, other than that.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

How crappy or decent is the slingTV app/service?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

^^^I have the exact same antenna, mounted inside my attic, and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the replies on sling tv and PlayStation vue. Really I don't like the idea of paying for either, clearly vue is a better service, but dang it's just about as much as cable. Pretty much the only thing we watch live is college football.

I guess I should just get a fire tv and try it out, find where we can watch our shows after they've aired or and/or other shows to occupy the kids.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I would imagine the consensus is that the roku software is better than most proprietary smart TV software, but it looks like the hardware is lagging behind what you can get in a roku3, and it's not portable like the standard box.

You gain maybe a little ease of use, and sacrifice bang for your buck (best value being a dumb tv with separate streaming box of your choice)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I'm very happy to hear it has improved. I'm hoping that when my cable contract is up, they'll be some delay before watchespn (provided my cable company) stops working also, because it's right before college football season.

But sling TV is the obvious backup.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

emocrat posted:

The universal search is excellent and provides results from everything, not just Amazon.
I bought a roku 3 for mostly this reason, but no one seems to point out that the search feature does not include content on Netflix or Amazon prime. Or (I'm assuming) other pre-paid content services.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

emocrat posted:

So, that struck me as incorrect, so I litteraly just now tried it. Using voice search on my roku4 I am accurately getting results from Netflix, Amazon prime and HBO GO.

Well, dammit. I'll mess with mine again, but I swear on multiple search queries it only gave me pay options, when the show in question was on Netflix, or listed the sale price on amazon when it's a Prime listing.

I hope mine will work, it's the main complaint I have about the thing.

Ixian posted:

Kids I know adapt to it quick, poo poo most of them think the way Netflix, etc. works is how TV is anyway.
Yeah my 2 yo expects to watch whatever Nickjr show she wants, not what happens to be on live TV.

For kids shows, there's a ton of stuff on YouTube. And the Nickjr app has a bunch of full episodes on rotation, even without a login.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 7, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah the roku pbs app has most of the recent content available. Definitely all of their main programs (Nature, This Old House, NOVA, etc).

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The riaa lawsuits I recall hearing about involved files that were stored, which establishes intent by the user to steal the content.

This isn't anything I'm an expert on mind you...but a streaming online channel is kind of like a pirate tv or radio broadcaster. Those did exist, and the broadcaster was fined/sued, not the persons viewing or listening to the station. At least, that would be my argument...

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Ixian posted:

Which is why you get situations like these, where at best channels like Comedy Central view SlingTV or Vue as another path to advertise their content but to really get the full experience you have to go through their portal. Not saying it doesn't suck but I'm afraid we're in for a few more years of flailing about with stunts like these, Hulu, etc. until something changes.
What's stopping the broadcasters from selling online access to channels directly without the sling/vue/Hulu/cable login middleman? Will we get there eventually? Or will cable/ satellite drop prices to stay competitive? Personally I don't even care about live TV, if I could (legitimately, not illegally) watch any show like a day or even a week late that would be fine with me.

The comparison to the music industry is fitting.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

Is Sling TV better then it use to be? When I tried it last year it was awfully unreliable, would error and crash all the time and the picture quality was not great.

Someone reported in the last couple pages, that it was improved.

I got my "your cable bundle is expiring, call us to resuscribe!" postcard yesterday, so I'll be able to review it soon. Even if it sucks, I'll probably keep it during college football season, just for the watchespn sign-in

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Dropped off cable box today, and ended up chatting how to cut cable with the customer service lady. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The pbs kids app is free and has an absolute poo poo ton of pbs children's programming.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

There is still weird stuff on the yt kids app. My kids love the "unwrapping" videos.

Why a 3 yo is fascinated by watching an adult slowly unwrap small collectible toys, is beyond me.

(But yes, there is endless content on YouTube)

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

The 3 yo watched 30 minutes of people filling up different pez dispensers, and was completely fascinated.

Yeah idgi

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Yeah the sub-broadcast ota channels are like what I remember from late night unscheduled local programming in the 90's. Random movies, mst3k, classics, but 24 hrs a day.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Vue sounds terrible.

I mean maybe it's the best of terrible options, but it's like they're trying to drive people to pirating poo poo.
Yeah I pretty much agree. I don't think it would be worth 1/2 of my previous cable bill to get a crappy version full of compromises.

Happy I'm able to get a crappy version full of compromises for free via a borrowed unused cable login. :v:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

*So far*, we have maintained dvr-like functionality by having full access to individual channel apps (borrowed MIL's unused cable sign-in). Usually they put newly aired episodes up the following day.

Actually sling would be of little use to me, and vue I would use mostly for the app logins.

Paying a set monthly fee (say $2-3) per channel to access their app would work for me, if they were allowed to do it. The only thing I miss from cable is pausing live sports, which is the only content we watch live.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

College football, so mostly on the watchespn app, plus a few OTA.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

badjohny posted:

I could use some help. I have company coming over from out of town today and they want to watch the indians game and the ohio state game. I know nothing about watching sports, so I am not sure how to do this.

I am 99% sure the ps vue would let me watch these. My question is, I think I read somewhere that the vue also gives you the ability to log into a lot of apps that ask for a cable subscription. Would I be able to get a vue subscription and then use it to log into the espn and fox (I think thats where the indians game is playing) apps on my apple tv?

Or would I be better off using my ps4 to watch the games?

Or would I be better off with the sling.tv over the vue? I am hoping to use their free trials to get this done.

Well if you have an OTA tuner, the world series is on Fox. This article explains the caveats of trying to watch through sling or vue..basically they don't offer local live channels in all markets so that depends on your location.

The Ohio state game is on espn nationally at 3:30 eastern, so sling and vue will let you watch live, and I believe vue will give you a login to the watchespn app as well.

Again, don't know your location but the game will be on some local OTA channels, may be worth checking your local broadcast schedule if you can tune in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Disney Jr has increased ads greatly on the Roku. My daughters, for the first time outside of walking through Walmart, now see these toys and want them all.
Never seen any ads when watching single episodes, and the live stream is the same as cable far as I can tell?

Anyhow all tv is and has always been about pumping consumerism.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 12, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

flosofl posted:

DTV Now is down for, if not all, a very very large majority of customers. The only support avenue they are responding to (but not really responding per se) is Twitter.

What a garbage fire of a roll out.

https://twitter.com/DIRECTVNowHelp/status/807398157470564352

I mean, I had tv over ip from my local phone co-op even before uverse or whatever was out...That poo poo was rough for 6 months solid but I dealt because the price was right.

I don't think a couple hour outage really qualifies as garbage fire, is there some other problem with the service?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well the way that streaming licensing has gone so far, it would appear that putting out what you can, and adding channels as you add subscribers and get bargaining power is the only way to get going.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if any of these services will end up qualifying as "cutting cable" unless at least a couple survive to keep competition. So IMO, more is better if we don't want to end up with "cable by another name" which frankly I think they already kinda are.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

If it's cheap enough, sure. But I think these packaged streaming services are due to increase in price until they're only slightly competitive with cable/satellite.

Maybe real competition will push prices down across the board, I suppose time will tell. Before any of this was available, the common argument was "I'm paying for so many channels I don't watch" and these services are still essentially a cable package deal.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

So the roku watchespn app was really annoying trying to watch the cfb championship last night, worse than it's ever been.

I could pull watchespn up on my phone and it would stream fine, but the roku3 (Ethernet connected) constantly buffered and/or dropped quality.

Any thoughts on whether this is an app or a hardware issue (or just espn)? I don't think it's an internet issue, at least on my end.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Does anyone know what's going on with the Roku ESPN app? We've got two Rokus in the house, a fancy new 4 and a years old 2. Everything on the 4 works fine EXCEPT for the espn app. It falls back to buffering all the drat time. It's not a bandwith issue on our end as we can stream stupid high resolution stuff from other sources just fine (example: the new not-Top Gear show on Amazon). If we switch over to the 2, however, ESPN works fine. As far as we can figure it has to be an issue with the app and the old version just works better. Or something.

Any ideas? It's not a crippling problem as we've just solved it by having two Rokus plugged into the TV and switching over to HDMI 2 when we want to watch ESPN but it's mildly irritating.

I asked a similar question, as espn works fine on Android phone or tablet, but buffers constantly on roku 3.

It would appear that the watchespn roku app has an unresolved issue.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

In actual cutting cable and not "cable by another name" news, we've had the cord cut for 5 months now, and I can't see ever going back or subscribing to any of these streaming cable services.

In a firestorm of savings, my wife's boss also picked up her cell phone bill, so effectively we are saving about $200/month.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 9, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I don't disagree that perhaps they should have talked to Sony first, but Sony was also the one who hosed up, and the banks who issue credit cards take erroneous double charges very seriously.

If you write a check that bounces, the merchant will often quickly take whatever action the local law allows. Why should a corporation be extended a courtesy that we individual consumers don't get?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Just don't expect to do business with them afterwards.

It also may not have been Sony that hosed up, it could have been whoever was processing their payments.

At the end of the day, what Sony saw was an account that flipped into non-payment status. Suspending service is a completely understandable and rational reaction.
Fair enough.

I would have called the merchant first myself, but it makes me kinda happy to see someone sticking it to a corporation over their error (just like they would do to you). As individuals we have little recourse over problems that doesn't involve lots of phone hold time. From my perspective, even a third party processor making the mistake is no excuse.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've got a situation that I need some peer review on.

My shut-in disabled mom finally got tired of paying Comcast and went all in on Sling. The problem is she still wants some local channels, including the PBS stations. I got her a flat leaf HD antennas and sure enough it gets ION, QVC, some Spanish language television, but nothing else. So now I'm looking at an attic antenna which I would point southeast to where all the good stuff is.

The problem is I don't know how to snake cable and she's going to give up fast the more complex this gets. The house has two levels and she never goes upstairs (disabled) so I'm thinking I wire it from the attic to one of the upstairs bedrooms with a coax connection. I don't know much about coax, but from what I recall there's a box somewhere all the individual RJ-6 leads terminate to become one network. Which means I should be able to isolate the coax in her sunroom and bedroom onto the same 'network' as the bedroom upstairs that I connect the antenna to. She gets her internet from a jack in a different room, so hopefully this won't mess with that.

There would be exposed cabling upstairs, but no one goes up there so I just need it to not be a hazard instead of 'pretty' or 'professional'.

Distance-wise we're probably looking at 30 to 40 feet from attic to upstairs outlet. Which means I'd probably need an amp. She's 27 to 30 miles from these towers and her home is right near the northbound interstate, but TVFool still says she'd need an outdoor roof antenna to get all the channels she wants. That's not going to happen without a professional, so I'm trying to keep this option's cost down to about $100 with coax, antenna, and amp to minimize the financial risk.

Also, I read that the TV tuner's in some small televisions aren't that good. Would an external digital TV tuner paired with the antenna possibly pull in extra channels?

Hey I didn't want your question to get lost.

So I set up an attic antenna, whatever was rated highest on Amazon at the time, and it performs great, with my old rear end vizio as the tuner. I've heard built in tuners can have issues, but you're not trying to get far off stations; I expect a better antenna will solve your problem there. Also just fyi since your mom is on sling...there is also a pbs app and all the recent content and much older content is free.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Maybe say "streaming cable". Add "service" if you like. People will know what you mean and it won't sound like you're trying to be clever. Cable occasionally freezes, and there is certainly noticeable channel startup time with satellite dishes, so the "with buffering" isn't really a unique qualifier either.

I like "cable with buffering" and hope the moniker sticks. It's perfectly descriptive with just the right amount of cynicism.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Has anyone bought a Roku TCL tv? How is the sound quality of the tv by itself?

My bedroom tv crapped itself and I am looking to getting a new one. I do not want to get a sound bar but I want at least a decent tv speaker.

I just bought the 43" TCL roku tv for our guest room, and the sound is exactly like most every other panel. It's acceptable for what it is, but tinny and weak.

Very happy with the panel itself through, for the price.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Re: watchespn is a buggy bitch on a Roku 3. I posted about this last year, no real solution, some people had issues, some did not.

It got really bad last weekend, streaming would drop enough that I'd get the "no connection, click here to set up internet" message. Just to try something, I connected via Wi-Fi instead of Ethernet and it's behaving much more normally. It's still more demanding of bandwidth than any other streaming service, but it holds without completely dropping.

So that's anecdotal, but I figured worth mentioning. Why the friggin BTN app and Fox sports can work better than espn with all their cash flow, who knows?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

I think they underestimated how many people would be using their multi view. I know at peak College Football this last Saturday, I had four games streaming at once on my Apple TV in a grid and I'd just swipe over to whichever to get the audio. I had some of them drop out from time to time and every now and then the app would just give up and have to be restarted.

Ya, I had watchespn on one tv and OTA on another. :v:

Frankly cutting cable has given me a much better college football watching experience than cable (when watchespn is working). It's so much easier to swap between games, although that's partly the poorly designed cable box UI that I had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Crotch Fruit posted:

The antenna you linked has a one piece reflector so both arrays are locked facing the same direction, the antenna Proteus linked has the array split so you could aim one element Baton Rouge and one at Lafayette but with reduced range. If your set on buying instead of DIYing I would get the antenna Proteus linked to be able to tweak and find out what works best.

I dunno if you missed burrito's opener where he addressed your Mickey issue, but getting on a streaming service that authenticates on the Disney app is your best bet. A quick Google shows Hulu and DirecTVnow as allowing login.

If you want to stick with Sling, chances are you have a family member with a cable package who has included app logins they aren't using or interested in using. That's what I do - I sign in using my dad's cable account.