Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Figure I'll ask this here since there's some talk of hdhomerun boxes. I get what is essentially comcasts digital premier package for free.

What I mostly use it for is to record my local hockey team games off of Fox Sports North. I then download the games to my phone or watch them on my computer through comcasts web streaming player. This works fine. The problem is when my team is broadcast on NHL Network or I record anything else on NHL Network, like the current world junior championship. Those recordings playback in HD on my comcast dvr box. But if I download the recording to my phone or watch on web, its SD. Is this a form of copyprotection? Would a cablecard+hdhomerun prime get around this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I've been trying the Youtube TV trial a few days now. Think I'm going to stick with them since they have the channels I want and the unlimited dvr is kind of cool. Problem I am having that I don't know if it's really a Yttv problem is that I normally stream on my macbook which is hooked up to my second monitor via hdmi. When we had Comcast Xfinity, I could stream in HD no problem (for the channels/recordings that allowed it) with this setup. But with Yttv I can only stream in SD. If I unplug the hdmi cable and stream just on the macbook display, the HD options are avail, but as soon I plug in hdmi they are gone. This is some kind of HDCP issue from what I understand. But I know the monitor and cable work ok with hdcp if plug it into my desktop I can stream hd to it. So some issue with yttv or my macbook not doing it correctly I guess.

Otherwise, I was looking at Roku's site and they have a deal where when you activate any device they give you $50 in Sling credits if anyone is interested.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

That suppose.tv says the cheapest for Redzone is Sling Blue + Sports Addon for $35/mo. https://www.suppose.tv/tv?m=15&f=1l15l305l250l50l1l0lll1&r=rJcYJK9Iz

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I bought a Roku Express+ for the heck of it. Hooked it up to my second monitor and installed the Youtube TV and Youtube app. The Roku in settings tells me its in 1080p and that hdcp is supported. When I go into either Youtube app and watch a vid, it'll stream the vid at 1080 but the display viewport is set to 720. Not sure what is going on here and the other apps I have on it don't show the actual display setting res.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

So what is DTV Now doing right that keeps you guys using it? A dvr function for me is a must, YTTV has got the best dvr it seems (although 9 month max could be problematic for some). But the ui isn't very good overall.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Yttv lets me use the provider login for everything except Turner stuff. But whats actually available on those apps I guess must be determined by your provider and through yttv you don't get access to much. For Fox Sports it flat out doesn't recognize that I have Fox Sports North or North+, which are really the primary things I would want (hockey mostly). It only thinks I have FS1/2.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess its rolling out in waves but YTTV let's you rearrange your guide and hide channels you aren't interested in now. Wasn't showing on the web version for me but checked ios app and it was there. Once I made a change in that, the options now show up in web for me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

And now YTTV has fixed hdcp problems for people with external monitors. Can stream in HD now!

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The Directv Now DVR is available for everyone. My iphone app updated and atv at home I guess is updated and has a slightly different ui.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I can't get Directvnow.com to work in a web browser. With adblocker disabled, cache cleared, dtv sends me to an att.com site to login which I do, but then I get a never-ending loop of dtv and att redirecting back and forth.

It is working fine on my phone and atv though.

edit: cleared cookies for directv/now, att, inq, and quickplay. Now it works.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 15, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Dang so I'm recording the hockey game on dtv and it's in either a lower res or bit rate and not in 60fps. Yttv wins here.

edit: ok so I chatted with DTV Now about the dvr issue and supposedly they are going to issue me a $10 credit.

phosdex fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 16, 2018

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Would that let them give customers a workaround for networks that have stuff that can't be streamed? Like I notice Animal Planet gives me messages that I can't stream a "live" show once in awhile on DTV Now. Or PBS.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Is that using a device like an AppleTV or FireTV that’s typically connected to a television? There are some weird issues in regards to streaming rights for certain shows/channels where a provider can stream to a portable device or computer, but not to a device hooked up to a television. It’s weird, but I think it’s an artifact of old business models.

Yeah, on my Apple TV is when I've noticed it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So I was planning on getting a Roku stick and mooching off of my brother's YoutubeTv account. I ended up signing up for that DirecttvNow deal where they send you a Roku if you pay for the first month of service up front (35 bucks). I'm going to try out both, but anyone have opinions between the two, or if I should go with another service altogether? My friend says PS Vue is good... Thankfully I'm not doing 4k since my internet does have a data cap.

I have both Directv Now and Youtube TV. I'm on the grandfathered $35/mo price with yttv since I've been using them for about 6 months now. Signed up with the $35/mo Live a Little plan on DTV a month ago just for the Apple TV promo. As it stands right now, for me, I will not be continuing with DTV when my 3 months is up unless I can get the reps to give me a bunch of free stuff.

But the first thing you need to determine is what you want. Locals and Regional Sports Networks on the streaming services can be a little weird. Make sure the service has the locals/rsns you want specifically for your zipcode, not just city. They can get really wonky if you live on the edge of a city and are used to locals/rsns from a neighboring one.

I should state I watch using an Apple TV most of the time, but I do watch in chrome on my macbook sometimes. The yttv website just works, dtv gives me problems logging in much of the time.

DTV just rolled out their DVR service to everyone last week. It's still beta though and the dvr'd version is not necessarily at the same quality of the broadcast. A few posts back you'll see me complaining that the nhl playoff games are recorded at 720@30fps. But they were broadcast 1080@60. If you've ever watched hockey at 30fps you'll know it's ugly.

Yttv dvr is miles better imo, but it's a little different than what most people are used to in a dvr. You set a show to record, there is no 'only record new' or 'record all' options. There is no deleting watched episodes. It will just continuously record that show. So take The Americans for instance, episode 8 aired last Wed. FX has rebroadcast it 3 times since. My dvr for the ep has a little arrow that expands to show 3 extra copies. Back during the regular season of hockey, I recorded games of my local team. The rsn would rebroadcast the game later that night or the next day in an abbreviated format. My dvr for the game would show both. Also if a network puts out a vod of an episode, that'll show up too and most networks now force you to watch a vod over dvr.

UI-wise, I prefer Yttv. The DTV one is much better than it used to be though. Yttv lets you completely edit the guide, like hide channels and rearrange them in any order. DTV just lets you favorite. One thing I highly dislike about dtv though is that in non-guide screens it shows stuff from networks your package does not have. Like it displays all sorts of shows from HBO which I don't have.

Channel wise is where they diverge a lot. Yttv does not have Scripps networks, ie Discovery, HGTV, Food Network. And it doesn't have Viacom, ie MTV, Comedy Central, Nick. But at the $35ish/mo price point, DTV doesn't have rsns, espns beyond 2, sec/btn/college network.

Picture quality wise, some say DTV is better and I mostly agree. It's a really trivial difference imo. But I feel like I see far more random artifacting on dtv.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Empress Brosephine posted:

Is YTTV ever getting Food network

Probably not at its current price point. Yttv will have to go to different package tiers like dtv or increase their price if the business analysts are correct. Supposedly Yttv is losing upwards of $5 per subscriber as it is. Adding the scripps networks would just increase that more.

I think that's why Youtube is starting to make a push with better shows on Youtube Red like Cobra Kai and next months Impulse. (you get Youtube Red originals free as part of yttv). Just a few days ago they added 2 new channels that originated from Youtube, Tastemade and The Young Turks. These give Youtube more of the ad money, so I guess if this type of stuff can take off successfully they would be able to offset the cost of other providers network fees with a larger portion of the ad money from their home grown stuff.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Does it really take about 2-3 weeks to get the free Apple TV from DirecTV? Seems a long wait for people who might not have any other boxes to use the service on while paying for it.

I got mine in about 4 days.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

And just to follow up, 'soon' turned into 'today' as I was checking up on something and found out it's the last day of the promotion. Allegedly, as I know they've extended it before. I'd have kicked myself if I waited until Monday...

According to this article, after today it was being bumped to 4 month prepay. https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/directv-now-is-making-changes-to-their-apple-tv-deal-hurry-or-you-will-miss-out/

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

That's it! Thanks.

Update: my dad found out no virtual MVPD carries C-SPAN, so he's keeping cable.

Directv NOW has cspan 1 and 2.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

Oh, really? It didn't show up on the comparison websites.

It's def there, I'm looking at it in my guide right now. I don't recommend this service at all though. I currently cannot watch a show I've dvr'd, it just keeps erroring out. Another show that I dvr it will play except it's not the right show or even right channel.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

I just cut the cord and subscribed to YouTube TV. I also have fire TV devices in all of my rooms.

Is there seriously no way to install the YouTube TV app? I'm not about to start using a browser or casting my phone like some putz. I'm willing to hack these stupid things if I have to. Anyone have any experience they can share?

Nope, Google and Amazon are not cooperating with each other.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I mostly watch sports and youtube tv has my rsn so I'm happy with it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm at almost a year with YouTube tv too. Works great for me, mostly watch hockey on my rsn. The recommendations don't match up for me either, I just ignore that.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Unless they've changed recently, AMC does not offer much via their app. They want you to sub to their Premiere service.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Since I mainly watch hockey I'll drop YTTV until winter and figure out who has the best deal then.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Iirc TiVo beat Comcast in court over remote dvr scheduling.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

AT&T should have gone with AT&T&TV.

I read that Youtube TV got PBS which sounds cool. My sub is currently on pause for the summer. Getting close to reup time for hockey and football season.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I wouldn't say it's impossible to find the version you want though. The episode has a little expando-arrow, you click it and the available versions drop down. I like it because if I'm going to watch an episode of something on my computer, I want the VOD because browser adblock works to remove the ads. If I'm watching on my Apple TV, I want the recorded version to skip through the ads.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

LastInLine posted:

I've read that they're starting to make devices connect to the "home" wifi network periodically but my dad's been using my YTTV without consequence for about three months now.

I think it's only the main account has to check in.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I guess if you're one of the competitors why spend big money buying them out when you know you'll get some % of their former customers anyway.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Anyone know if Hulu is going to do the $.99/mo deal again for Black Friday? I used it last year and barely use Hulu, but if they repeat the offer I'll stay signed up.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My local PBS channel is now on Youtube TV. Time to record every Antiques Roadshow.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Couldn't give a flying gently caress about sports and that's why I'm pumped for this future. Sports have long been the most pricy part of pay tv and I'm fine with leaving that to be paid for by the fans.

I'm the opposite, the only reason I really subscribe is for sports. And then it's almost entirely for just hockey. Wish I could get just my local RSN with like a 1 week/~12 hour DVR as a standalone sub. If it weren't for the stupid local team blackout rules I could just subscribe directly to the NHL.tv thing.

Like I have Youtube TV and set it to record all sorts of poo poo since you can, but I rarely watch any of it.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Does YTTV have live ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, and NFLN?

They don't have nfl network (or red zone). Locals depends on where you are. Think most major cities have them by now.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

So here's a weird question that I can't find any info on.

I was watching YTTV on my laptop (MacOS) with Chrome, and I got a thing come up on the page that asked if I wanted to install the YTTV app on my computer. I installed it. It's just a Chrome app that opens an instance of Chrome and goes right to YTTV. It behaves like an app. I dragged it to my applications folder and it works as advertised.

For some reason, I'm not getting that same prompt to install it on my other MacOS computers. I copied the app to the other computers and it doesn't work on them. There's probably some other file it needs, but whatever.

What I really want to know is if there's a link or page I can go to for this app. I've googled the hell out of it and I can't find anything.

Do those other Macs have Chrome installed? If you look in the Chrome main menu, there should be an option "Install Youtube TV".

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Suppose.tv

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

My dumb football team is done for the season and my hockey team is a bunch of untalented morons who can't score goals and are also very stupid so I've suspended my Youtube TV account until next season.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Lame, Youtube TV is losing all of the Sinclair owned Fox RSNs.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

XBenedict posted:

YouTubeTV has reached a deal with Sinclair. Crisis averted. :toot:

Yes Network, Prime Ticket and Fox Sports West have been dropped it seems. New York and some CA residents affected I think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtubetv/comments/fdv9nz/mega_thread_youtube_tv_has_dropped_the_yes/

I would guess that dropping those 3 lets Youtube keep their cost to customers the same. Adding those would have come with a price hike?

phosdex fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 5, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

You may get lower channels that are not encrypted. Cable signals for the most part are encrypted and the boxes are addressable. The cable co head-end talks to the box to verify your account is entitled to a channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

RevKrule posted:

Good news! Viacom channels are available now on YoutubeTV!

Bad news! They're increasing rates $15(!!!!) starting next month.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/30/21308449/youtube-tv-price-increase-64-99-viacom-hbo-new-channels

Wow drat. My sub has been on pause for as long as you can set it for, 6 months I think? Anyway I had just been thinking about how the pause due date was coming up. Guess I'm cancelling for sure.