Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I have a sort of similar question. I watch sports right now on my PS3 via MLB.tv and the NHL app but the machine is getting long in the tooth and has stopped outputting via the HDMI port for whatever reason. What is the current device du jour that can handle streaming sports apps? In addition it would be great if I could send it video through DLNA or if it could watch a video stream from a website. Is there a single device that can do all of that or should I look into going the HTPC route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
What is generally considered the best cable modem at a reasonable price? Or are they all pretty similar?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
This is probably a weird request, but can anyone recommend a service to use to catch a range of international programming? I have a subscription to DishWorld International (now Sling International) to watch soccer and like that I can randomly turn on a Bollywood music station or Chinese cooking show and whatnot. But I feel like their service has gotten pretty lovely since the Sling switchover and the resolution really sucks on what should be a good connection. Their desktop companion app is also terrible and crashes constantly which is weird because it just streams video.

Ideally this would have a Roku channel as well and at least some sports stuff.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I got an email from Vue today saying that they are raising my rate $10/mo with no new channels, so I am planning on switching to something else. How is Sling these days? It seems to be my cheapest option while keeping the Fox Sports RSN that I watch like 90% of the time.

Is there any difference in stream quality amongst all the different options in the market now? Or is everything pretty comparable?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

This is something they announced they were doing months ago. It's happening in a rolling fashion across markets.

The justification is they're removing the "SLIM" packages, so if you happen to be in an area that still can't get locals in PSVue, welp sucks to be you. I'm lucky in that I got ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/CW live, but if I got the no-choice price hike I'd be looking too. As it is, I'll be looking for a smaller cheaper service outside of college football season. PSVue is the best for football, but outside that there's really no advantage for me since I don't use the DVR very much.

Personally, I've had issues streaming Sling at times when I've tried it. If you don't care about ESPN, then the Blue package is only $25 (if you add the additional sports I think that's another $5 or $10)

HuluTV has EPSNs and FS1 and FS2 (not sure about regionals) for $40

DriecTV has ESPN, ESPN2 and FS1(no RSNs) for $35. To add FS2 (and RSN) is $60 package.

All three of these I believe stream at 720p @ 60fps. I'm not sure of the compression but I imagine they're all around 2.5-3 MB/s

FuboTV may be an option if you want sports, but there's no EPSN channels at all. $20 base.

Thanks for this. My trial with Sling has been pretty smooth and I oddly like having international cheap options, so I will probably stick with them. Fubo does seem like a good backup option in case Sling starts getting lovely.

One of the India news stations has a segment where two guys full on yell at each other over politics. I have no idea what the issue is but it is good fun to watch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Nov 27, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

This is the best deal. The ultra is AWESOME. I'm probably gonna get one for my parents, too. Sadly, my dad is married to his Jadoo for South Asian tv and cricket streams. There's nothing else that can get those, though it's actually not that bad a device.

Sling overs some pretty robust and specific international packages that you might want to check out. I know they have one or two cricket channels as well.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah what is the opposite of cutting cable because I think the weekly Spectrum 12 month mailer offers I have been getting are actually cheaper than YTTV now after the increase

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

Let me pay $5 per channel so I can just buy three channels because that’s all I ever watch holy gently caress this is bullshit.

Yeah this is all I want. I'm mainly a sports guy so I think I'm back to buying all the league packages I want to watch, setting up a proxy or whatever for local teams (god this is bullshit), and dumping everything else but Netflix.

At some point I wonder if viewers as whole start trending down for everything because it is so loving expensive and stupid and people raised on Youtube never opt in

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Luceo posted:

I buy NFL Gamepass International with a VPN and cast it to my TV. You can even drop the VPN connection after the game starts.

What's the best country to do for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

The trick used to be to find the country whose currency has crashed the most since the price was locked in. Not sure if that’s still the same. Brazil was always a popular choice from memory.

Signed up in Brazil for $75 for the year and haven't had problem yet, thanks