Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I got DTV Now to lock in the promo rate. Hopefully they'll add ROOT NW before April, otherwise it's just a house hunters subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Absolutely no way this happens. You need to get cable to watch Mariners otherwise it's MLB.tv+VPN.

Why is that? At&t owns part of root, and they carry just about every other regional sports network. Seems like it'd be a sure thing.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Lol, DIRECTV Now: screen goes blank in the middle of a show and message pops up "<absolutely non-sports-related syndicated TV show> is blacked out in your area".

Every day this service gets more and more amateur hour. Or maybe the duct tape is just unraveling.

What channel and show was it?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ixian posted:

No announcement yet. I haven't seen a timeframe for Android TV, period from them.

Which is just as well, because DTVNow is poo poo. I got an Apple TV with mine, which I wanted for my parents anyway so it has essentially been a free 3 month trial but holy hell is it garbage.

I always hear people call dtv now garbage, but idk why. I never have trouble streaming. Poke a show, watch the show.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ok, I've finally experienced a problem with DirecTV Now. Sometimes I'll lose a color and the screen will shift to the right when coming back from an ad while watching an on demand show. It just trips up when switching video modes I guess.

This with a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the 4k 60hz input on a Vizio. Has anyone seen this? The issue persists when exiting the app.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

I'm currently watching it using ancient technology of shooting radio waves through the air. And it looks fantastic.

No buffering, but it cuts out if I turn my lights on.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

flosofl posted:

You can get the Amazon Video app on literally any other platform, just not tvOS.

Not on non-amazon branded Android devices. They don't put it on anything they directly compete against.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Oh I didn't realize that. I don't install non-play store apps, but neat I guess.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Meanwhile MLB.tv is the whole loving April-October for $150 and everything that isn't in your market.

MLB sucks, too. I mean, they're leaps and bounds better than any other league, but I can't pay any amount of money to stream the Mariners while in Seattle. Even if you buy MLB.tv and add on the "follow my team" option, that will only get you away games IF you authenticate with your cable/satellite provider that carries the RSN, and even then you have to watch through a computer.

drat you root sports, get on dtv now.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Luceo posted:

Using AdFreeTime or Unblock.us will also get you around the blackouts.

I'm not going to route my internet traffic through some service. There should be a normal way.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Luceo posted:

That's VPN, which is different. The services I mentioned only handle your DNS requests.

Interesting, but I'd still be passing my metadata through a third party, and I still think I should be able to do it in a more normal way.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

You can selectively route only certain sites/traffic through it though and just use your normal DNS for everything else. I only route NFL/Netflix through a similar thing. A few easily googled DNSMasq entries on your router and you're good to go.

Yes, this is possible, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

In the 90's I remember Seattle having issues meeting the blackout threshold, and some local companies would buy the remaining tickets.

This would happen fairly often in Jacksonville years back. Winn-Dixie, a local grocery chain, would buy a bunch and sell them cheap or give them away.

Luceo posted:

I mean sure, it shouldn't be necessary, but what's easier, signing up for a cheap DNS service or getting the sports leagues/networks to change their blackout policies, and in the case of the NFL, whether they'll actually sell to you at all because you're a filthy American?

Unless you're hosting your own DNS server, you're passing your DNS requests through a third party, whether that be your ISP's servers (:barf: don't do this), OpenDNS, or Google. AdFreeTime/Unblock.us is just a paid DNS service that's reputable and will get you around all of the bullshit from the sports leagues, and does it quite easily.

If you want to stream paid sports subscription services in the US without blackouts, that's what you have to accept.

I hear what you're saying, but my desire to go though a paid third party DNS server and create dnsmasq entries on my router is far lower than my desire to watch the game. I get that some people are willing to put up with that kind of jank, but I'm not.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 26, 2017

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think "DirecTV Now is hit or miss" is a little stale. I have 0 functionality issues with it (Root sports would make it perfect). Full disclosure: I have gigabit internet, but I seriously doubt it's anywhere close to necessary for a smooth experience.

I really like that sling TV box that merges OTA and their service. What a genius idea. Is it pretty seamless? Can you just "flip channels" between ota content and sling content?

I wish the DirecTV now app let you customize the guide. I know you can mark favorites, but I'd like to group them by category rather than alphabetical.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Doing the trials is a good idea. The problems are not universal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yesssss!
https://www.forbes.com/sites/mauryb...s/#1464930e7a51

Still no dtv now but closer!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I haven't had any issues with directv now in months, and even then they were very sparse. Nothing like the regularity described here. Curious what everyone's watching it on. Chromecast exclusively here.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Zogo posted:

Yes, I have done a cost-benefit analysis and roughly one year of YouTube Red would cost the same as purchasing a Roku Ultra.

But then you'd still have ads.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ixian posted:

Looks like if you let the promo plan lapse (stopped mine in March) you don't get the $35/rate again for Go Big. I got a restart code too but no thanks. poo poo deal.

I'm not sure why you thought that would work any differently than it did.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a list of what channels have the rewind and which apps have logins ?

list of rewind enabled channels

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm in a market with Jeopardy! on ABC and DirecTV Now just added it! :woop:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

I have a Roku Premiere+ and the YouTube app is a giant buggy piece of poo poo. This is one of my two primary methods of media consumption so this is unacceptable. Googling indicates that I am not the only one with the issue. Has anyone else had this issue and managed to fix it? If not, am I stuck going to an Apple TV?

*B E E P* 50 PERCENT OF PRIMARY MEDIA CONSUMPTION METHODS ARE UNACCEPTABLE *B O O P*

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Gotcha. I can figure out the OTA, but is there an easy way to DVR that or not? It sounds terrible to say, but literally Jeopardy with DVR can be a deal breaker. We watch it every day, and we both work till 7-8pm.

I have cameras, Nest Thermostat, I have the Philips lights, etc, but I haven't been willing to get an Echo or google home. In part I don't think it would hook up right with my Sonos system, and in part it just doesn't appeal to me. I also never, ever use Siri on my phone.

They make cheap OTA DVRs that you can just plug a portable hard drive into.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I was having fiber installed upgrading from 18/5 to 100/100 mainly for the upload and when I was choosing the plan it was 100/100 for $60 a month or 1000/1000 for $80 a month. Actually I think a little less after discounts for bundling with wireless and cable, I think like $10 cheaper maybe?

Anyways as I was choosing the plan I just said gently caress it, $20 a month go ahead and give me the fire hose even if I never use it.

Yeah, my options are 100/100 for $60 or 1000/1000 for $80. Like, of course I'm gonna go for the $80 option. I've never seen it higher than 700, but I can only care so much. If I ever see buffering or a drop in quality, I at least know it isn't on my end.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Anyone in Seattle able to get the Seahawks game on Q13 from any streaming service? Blacked out on DirecTV Now, which really sucks because it's close to impossible to get it OTA downtown. We had to settle for the SD simulcast on 22-2.

I seriously don't understand why the rights are negotiated such that you can only watch some of the channel's programming.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

The irony, as a Charger fan in Boise all I got was your crappy Seahawks cast :)

You would have thought the feed was crappy regardless of which side it came from.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You should work for a better company.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think the separate Sunday ticket offer is for people who can't get DirecTV for one reason or another. Like, no dish reception (big mountain in the way or something) or you live in an apartment/highrise and you can't put out a dish.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just checked and I'm eligible, but they want $70/month or more, depending on if I want to add red zone. If you can get $100 for the whole season, you need to find a friend in an apartment. That's a crazy good deal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It gets even more ridiculous when you're watching a channel on your phone through dtv now or similar and then it cuts off because an NFL game came on.
"Sorry boss, you gotta cast this since you're not on Verizon. No, it doesn't matter that you're on wifi. You can watch that channel on your phone when the game's over."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

How do they make money?

I don't think this is about direct revenue as much as it is fostering consumer confidence so people will be more willing to buy movies and build a collection without worrying about what service they're getting tied down to. No more "I can watch this movie on this device, but they don't have an app on those other one."

Without a service like movies anywhere, it's almost like having to have 5 different, incompatible DVD players.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just started the YouTube TV free trial and it blows DirecTV now out of the water. A real DVR, no buffering so far, more locals, way better interface (though I wish there was a traditional guide).

You can really tell that DirecTV now prioritizes channels based on popularity. Locals and smaller national channels constantly buffer, but the big ones like HGTV never do.

I'll probably cancel both after the end of the YouTube TV trial, because the real lesson is that a lot of modern tv sucks and I probably shouldn't pay $35/month for a jeopardy dvr. I've held on to my intro rate dtv now account in the hopes that I'll get to watch the Mariners on it someday, but I'm close to giving up on that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

YouTube TV update: the fox channel they show in Seattle isn't Seattle fox. It's some weird generic fox that's showing soccer instead of the Seahawks game. Weird. It's also practically impossible to pick up fox with an antenna downtown.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Minidust posted:

Been renting and paying the landlords for an extra cable box, but I'm about to move into a house an give PS Vue a try. I plan to eventually wire the house for proper ethernet everywhere, but should the wi-fi on Fios's 100/100 service do me well enough in the meantime? I know the requirements for smooth streaming video tend to be greatly overstated on the advertising end; just wondering if stuff like channel switching and overall UI experience might suffer before I get my wired situation sorted out.

A good router/access point should be able to use every bit of that 100/100.
wifi is plenty fast

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Tv signals are hard to get (about an hour and a half away from the nearest stations) and I am completely surrounded by large trees.

Sounds awesome.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Can anyone help me decipher this DTVN/MSG shitshow? Football is winding down and I'd love to ya e MSG for Rangers games and ditch Sling but I'm seeing it's been pulled? Then I'm seeing it's been pulled except for NY?

Any other sources aside from CCN?

Or is anyone in NYC with DTVN able to check?

This would kick rear end if it works.

I was super confused when I just got an email telling me it's been added (I live in Washington State). It's not on my guide.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Something like this cheap OTA DVR might be fine. I've never used one, but they seem to fit your need. https://www.amazon.com/1byone-Digital-Converter-Multimedia-Playback/dp/B01N5MLC1M

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Speaking of directv now, I just got invited to the beta and it's way better than the normal app. DVR, too!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Signed up for DTV Now. I'm watching Law and Order on WEtv and it's the weirdest thing. I guess to fit the runtime, they speed it up. It's like 1.2x. It doesn't make it unwatchable, but it's juuuuust sped up enough to where your brain says "Hey something is off."

I've noticed this on other channels with other shows. It's so they can fit in more commercials. Not specific to DTV Now, that I'm aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Would someone with DTVNow try something for me? I can't login to the Paramount Network app or site with my credentials. It says my subscription doesn't include the channel. I know for a fact it does since the channel is included with even the cheapest DTV Now package. Can someone try logging in with their credentials and report back?

I was able to sign in on the site, but none of the videos loaded. I didn't try hard, though. Maybe they're just having issues.